Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Star Trek Into Darkness

The supposed (I say supposed because it's been denied many times and had little proof to back it up) CBS/Paramount conflict causing problems with licensing, TV shows, etc. has nothing to do with the fact that there are no Star Trek action figures on the market right now.

The supposed conflict there was that Paramount wanted them to stop making merch based on the old crew (Shatner, Nimoy likenesses on dolls, bobble-heads, etc.) and CBS didn't want to do that because it was a money maker. This did not, in any way, stop Hasbro from making figures, as their Kre-O line (or the Hotwheels ship line) can attest.

The problem is:

1.) The 2009 Playmates line TANKED. HARD. I'm so sad to say it, but I can only imagine the money that was lost there. Certain figures from that line are STILL hanging around on clearance.

2.) The action figure market is brutal right now. My understanding is that Hasbro had plans for figures and roleplay, but something changed. Whether the retail interest was too soft because the 2009 line did so horribly or maybe they didn't even want to take that chance... those plans are delayed or cancelled.

We'll see. If the Kre-O line takes off (seems to be doing better than the GI Joe and TF lines, from what I can tell anecdotally around here, but that's not always a good indicator) or if the movie is super popular... maybe that stuff could happen. The last movie would have been ripe with figure potential, though, sadly. At this point, I'd just like Diamond to be able to make the JJprise.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    The supposed (I say supposed because it's been denied many times and had little proof to back it up) CBS/Paramount conflict causing problems with licensing, TV shows, etc. has nothing to do with the fact that there are no Star Trek action figures on the market right now.

The supposed conflict there was that Paramount wanted them to stop making merch based on the old crew (Shatner, Nimoy likenesses on dolls, bobble-heads, etc.) and CBS didn't want to do that because it was a money maker. This did not, in any way, stop Hasbro from making figures, as their Kre-O line (or the Hotwheels ship line) can attest.

The problem is:

1.) The 2009 Playmates line TANKED. HARD. I'm so sad to say it, but I can only imagine the money that was lost there. Certain figures from that line are STILL hanging around on clearance.

2.) The action figure market is brutal right now. My understanding is that Hasbro had plans for figures and roleplay, but something changed. Whether the retail interest was too soft because the 2009 line did so horribly or maybe they didn't even want to take that chance... those plans are delayed or cancelled.

We'll see. If the Kre-O line takes off (seems to be doing better than the GI Joe and TF lines, from what I can tell anecdotally around here, but that's not always a good indicator) or if the movie is super popular... maybe that stuff could happen. The last movie would have been ripe with figure potential, though, sadly. At this point, I'd just like Diamond to be able to make the JJprise.
    Thanks for clearing up the confusion about CBS. Yeah I know the '09 line tanked hard. It was crap that deserved to tank too. I mean I'm a Trek fan and hated that stuff (the figures, I dug the Hot Wheels models). No doubt a proper Into Darkness line depended on them not blowing it so badly on the '09 movie merch, but the Kre-O stuff has even less appeal to me than collecting custom penguin figurines in Star Trek costumes. Sorry, just a bad miss for me. I don't blame anyone not wanting to stop making merchandise of the old stuff, and think that's beyond stupid as a demand from Paramount--particularly at 1 movie every 4 years. But hey, I can believe no one wants to take any chances on toys now either.
    Last edited by gbagok; June 3, 2013 at 05:44pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Regarding the Kre-O Bird of Prey missing decals...

...it isn't. I've seen this issue pointed out in a few reviews, Dan's being one. It isn't clear from the instruction booklet or the decal sheet but...those three small rectangular stickers on the decal sheet appear to be blank, but they are not. They are clear stickers with white "distressed effects" applied to a white background, making them appear blank. Once removed you can slightly see what I mean. These three stickers are to be applied to the dark grey rectangular bricks (1 above the cockpit, 2 on wings on either side of cockpit). Once applied they give off a white-on-dark-gray distressed effect similar to the dark-gray-on-light-gray effect of the other more visible decals. Hope that makes sense, just wanted to point this out in case it was deterring anyone from picking up this cool little set.

Oh, wow. Good call. They are VERY subtle, but they are there.

I remember the MEZCO Star Trek toys sitting around too after the Enterprise show failed to catch on with the majority of fans.
    It's too bad too because they started doing toys from the other shows, and the sculpts were really good. I don't think any of those
    lines ever were completely produced though I'm sure I'll be corrected.

I think the best ST lines were probably the MEGO ones from the 70's, followed by the Galoob line (They're not worth much now
    but I remember speckled face Data went for serious bank at one time.), and then the OLD Playmates line that repurposed a lot
    of the TMNT parts. They looked kind of odd, but they did so many characters nobody cared.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Those were from Art Asylum, though I can understand getting confused. Technically they finished the whole Enterprise crew, just in a mish-mash of duty and space suit uniforms. They were nicely produced, overall. The model they made was great, too. After Art Asylum was bought out by Diamond Select, they did finish the whole TNG crew. The only ones left unfinished were DS9 and they never even touched Voyager, sadly.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    The Playmates ST lines are still my all-time favorite. I love their selection of characters. I've got a ton still from when I was younger, and have been buying more and more lately. I don't recall anything being reused from TMNT for this line. They are just done in similar styles (like everything from Playmates in this era. Or all other toy companies trying to capture that success, even.)

The figures are such good quality, and there are so many character choices and great vehicles and playsets! I wish we could get a new Star Trek line done in the same way!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

So excited! This is exactly what I was hoping they'd do. Although I was hoping Carol Marcus might be in this set. On Target's site, but no in stock yet:

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Whoa, nice! Guess I got another one to pick up!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Yeah, it looks great so far. There is a lot of (fairly inaccurate) re-use of the Enterprise set, but no shocker. I think it works well for the most part. I just hope the deflector dish area (which we can't see here) is very different.

Anyone get the new Star Trek Hot Wheels 1:50 scale series yet? It's the same scale and style as the Hot Wheels set from 2009. It looks like they held back the Excelsior and Kelvin from '09 and included them with the Vengeance and the Klingon ship from Into Darkness.

The Kelvin is probably the best "new" ship and feels the most like true Star Trek to me. It reminds me so much of the original movie series, and some of the ships appearing in the Trek comics I was reading at the time.

The Vengeance is neat in that it has an 80s sci-fi miliatary feel to it (appropriate that the man who was Robocop built it). If the Colonial Marines from Aliens were in Star Trek they'd be flying this ship. It feels less Star Trek to me but I think that was the point of it's design. It's supposed to be a perversion.

The Klingon ship is really just a shuttle craft, and not one I like very much. It looks like something the Reavers would fly in Firefly/Serenity. It lacks the simple character of the best of Star Trek's ships and resembles too much the forgettable ships from Star Trek Nemesis and Insurrection.

The Excelsior is another old favorite of mine, although the blue they used for its underside is a little too dark. Great ship design (the Enterprise if the Japanese had designed it was I think the intention behind it).

I'm really hoping we'll see more of these Hot Wheels ships. I especially hope we'll see:
    • The Enterprise B
    • The Enterprise E
    • DS9's Defiant
    • Klingon K'tinga class battle cruiser
    • (with the Qo'nos 1 from Star Trek six as a variant perhaps?)
    • The Klingon Warbird from Star Trek 2009 (seen in the Kirk's Kobayashi Maru simulation)
    • TNG Romulan Warbird
    • TNG Klingon Vor'cha and Negh'var class battle cruisers
    • DS9 Runabout
    • Romulan Warbird Valdor from Star Trek Nemesis
    • V'Ger's ship from Star Trek The Motion Picture (seen clearly in the Special Edition)
    • Star Trek 2009 Shuttle craft
    • Whatever that ship was that they flew to Qo'nos in Into Darkness
    • That red shuttle Spock and Kahn were on at the end of Into Darkness
    Last edited by gbagok; June 29, 2013 at 08:46pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!

I did! In fact, they just arrived today. I was taking a closer look at them just a moment ago. I have all the previous ones. The Vengeance is darker than it looks on that picture (it's pretty much black), though.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

I really like the HW ships. I got these in, and overall I'm very pleased. I agree the Kelvin is great. I actually think I like the new BoP more in toy form here than in the movie, because I think the color scheme is more interesting.

They swtiched up the case pack-outs. Originally we were going to get the Narada and the NX-01 and some others - basically, some of the ships that were so impossible to find in 2009. I really hope we get those and the new JJprise. If not, though, I bought a sub to the Eaglemoss Partworks collection and they are going to have all the new movie ships in it now as well as the other 70+ starships. It's going to be amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I really like the HW ships. I got these in, and overall I'm very pleased. I agree the Kelvin is great. I actually think I like the new BoP more in toy form here than in the movie, because I think the color scheme is more interesting.

They swtiched up the case pack-outs. Originally we were going to get the Narada and the NX-01 and some others - basically, some of the ships that were so impossible to find in 2009. I really hope we get those and the new JJprise. If not, though, I bought a sub to the Eaglemoss Partworks collection and they are going to have all the new movie ships in it now as well as the other 70+ starships. It's going to be amazing!
    I got the Narada without much trouble from Entertainment Earth (it's not bad either), but the NX-01 and Original Series Enterprise must have come out when I wasn't looking. I can only find them now for inflated prices so I don't have them.

I haven't invested in the Eaglemoss Partworks Collection yet, I don't know how big those are going to be.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    I did! In fact, they just arrived today. I was taking a closer look at them just a moment ago. I have all the previous ones. The Vengeance is darker than it looks on that picture (it's pretty much black), though.
    Yeah, the Vengeance is very dark, kind of gun-metal while most of the other Starfleet ships are basically white. I am sorry they didn't paint in the deflector dish though. That looked like a sinister giant eye in the movie, so it's a let down that there's no hint of it on the mini-model.
    Last edited by gbagok; June 30, 2013 at 09:15am.

Found the Kre-O USS Vengeance when I travelled to Springfield today to pick up my Masterpiece Soundwave. I have to say, it's a really cool build. It's actually a little smaller looking overall than the Enterprise, but not by much. I really liked how it ended up looking, in the end, though. The combo of black and grays looks pretty slick. The nacelles are very different between the ships, as is the main deflector area. The saucer is, too, of course! I wish they could have built it without the clear support beam, but I'm sure it's sturdier this way. It only holds one figure, but that's fine by me.

Very happy with this one. I hope it's not the end of the line!

The quick iPhone pics:

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    So I see IDW has done a prequel comic series to somehow explain how Montalban's Khan becomes Cumberbatch Khan, though I haven't seen the last couple of issues. Seriously folks, if you want a great read on how Khan and his supermen ended up on the Botany Bay, read Greg Cox's The Eugenics Wars: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh. Honestly, it's too bad Hollywood can't use decent writers like Cox to give us decent Star Trek films.

And on a final note, Cinema Sins gives us a rundown of "Everything wrong..." LOL
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor