Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Into Darkness

I thought Cumberbatch just oozed screen presence. Whenever he was on the screen, I think he really grabbed your attention. Now, as much as I loved the movie. The one thing that did strike me...

Was there any reason for Cumberbatch to be Khan at all? The marketing didn't rely on it. New viewers didn't know who he was (and had to have Spock Prime explain it to them, really) and you were taking the risk of annoying older fans. I was taking the reveal out of the movie, and I think it would have been just as strong. I actually think he was a strong enough villain he didn't need to be Khan, to be honest.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

If he wasn't *blank* then they'd have to change the last quarter of the movie.

My only thing is that they used this opportunity to tell the exact same story with *blank* rather than something new.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I thought Cumberbatch just oozed screen presence. Whenever he was on the screen, I think he really grabbed your attention. Now, as much as I loved the movie. The one thing that did strike me...

The script was written so it could work with an all-new character, and they didn't actually decide the antagonist would be Khan until pretty far into production. They had not decided on whether or not to use Khan, but after the script started to take shape they thought it was a story that would fit the Khan character. But they also considered having him be a "new" character.

Of course, name recognition is a big reason on why they used Khan and Carol Marcus, but I do think it was done well, because the events did not just ape Wrath of Khan, they were a mirror, truly an alternate take on events. In my mind it worked.

Also, allegedly the original actor who was asked to play the part of Harrison/Khan was Benicio del Toro, who while he doesn't look indian EITHER looks a bit more... ehm... "etnic" than Cumberbatch. Sorry, that's not me being racist, just using the Hollywood logic that "foreigners can play any other foreigners".

I know about the Benicio del Toro thing. Surely then that means that he was always meant to be the same character?

I thought this movie was great.

Very entertaining and engaging, and this coming from a longtime trekkie.

I actually think they could have had benedict just be some random person from Khan's crew and set up Khan being awakened at the end of the film setting up the next one.

I liked the klingon war set up and other easter eggs like using mudd's ship.

The one thing that took me a bit out of the movie was old spock coming in a spoon feeding us a bit heavy handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    Never seen 1 episode of Star Trek. Maybe I should try out these movies. The movies looked....revived.
    funny considering your screen name lol
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I saw the movie this weekend and enjoyed it. I really didn't remember what happened in the first movie, but

I could have done without new Spock relying on Old Spock to give him information again. Other than that it was pretty fun!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I saw the movie this weekend and enjoyed it. I really didn't remember what happened in the first movie, but
    What is funny (or sad) is after watching it twice you could remove that entire scene and it would make no difference in the movie or the pace
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Yeah I think in that part especially cumberbatch nailed the character, that is exactly the type of logic we would have seen from that character

I think one problem people seem to have with the events of this movie is that there was no real build up on the character, I can understand but at the same time being a multiverse you are supposed to know who the characters already are so its (fairly or unfairly) using the past 2 appearances to aid in the story. This is proven to be the intention when Spock talks to Spock

I saw it again this afternoon, it was just as good as the first time. Its just a fun movie with a lot of callbacks to the originals but with an interesting fresh take. Don't nitpick it all to hell and you will have a fun time I think
    Personally I feel even WITH nitpicking it holds up (unlike a certain 3rd shellhead i will not name)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Oh I'm not saying he lacked presence, I'm just saying his presence didn't strike me as I personally feel the character's should have. I didn't find him charming, magnetic and dangerous just looking at him, i found him more 'emo' but his line delivery mostly made up for that.

Now hearing Benicio del toro was going to be cast, he has brought that presence I am talking about, he can flash a smile that both puts you at ease and on high alert at the same time Cumberbatch - at least in this role was always kind of pouty and sad/mad I understand why but for me i wanted a little more charm and imposing silence when he was silent.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

What is funny (or sad) is after watching it twice you could remove that entire scene and it would make no difference in the movie or the pace
    which is why it should have been cut. Put it on the disk as a special feature but it wasn't needed other than to give a **** to fans.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    which is why it should have been cut. Put it on the disk as a special feature but it wasn't needed other than to give a **** to fans.
    Yeah I get the feeling that because it has been 4 years they just threw it in there to remind people that this was a multiverse not a reboot or retelling. Of course that makes no sense for ST because 99% of the population realizes this and the 1% that does not probably does not care about that fact
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Yeah, on that moment at first I thought "Oh fun!" and then "Oh, we didn't need that."

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I saw the movie yesterday. Overall it was entertaining and fun. My wife enjoyed it as well. We both liked the previous reboot film as well. I would watch it again, and I plan to add it to my collection when it comes out.

I do have some odd mixed feelings about it, though. It's not so much that I'm really disappointed in the movie that we got (again, it was good) as much as I just wonder if in some respects it was a wasted opportunity not to do something different. I'll go into more detail in the spoiler tags below since it's hard to articulate without spoilers, but first to preface all of this...

I'm not really sure if I can be called a Trekkie/Trekker, per say. My interest in Star Trek has always been rather casual. I've seen all of the movies at some point or another, but many of them I've probably only watched once or twice in my life, with a few others having had a few more viewings.... though I ironically own all 10 of the original crew/TNG movies on both DVD and Blu-Ray (my wife got me the set of all 10 movies on DVD a few years back, and more recently I got the separate original crew and TNG movie box sets on Blu-Ray when they were on sale... I also have the previous JJ Abrams movie on Blu-Ray).

I watched Next Generation a lot, though I'm sure that there are still a number episodes that I've never seen. It really wasn't consistent viewing where I made it a point to tune in each and every week or anything like that, save for a few land mark episodes. Most I caught randomly in reruns. I have been buying the seasons of TNG on Blu-Ray as they have come out, but have yet to watch them. I don't know if I can say that I've ever really sat down and watched a full episode of the original series from beginning to end.... well I kind of did last night, but it was mostly on in the background and I wasn't giving it my full undivided attention (I bought the full series on Blu-Ray back around black Friday last year when it was on a good sale, I just have yet to sit down and watch it.... in general I collect DVDs and Blu-Rays faster than I can watch them ).

As for other series, I only ever saw a handful of episodes of Deep Space Nine, I did watch Voyager a lot when it first started, but drifted away after the first or second season. I don't think that I've ever seen a full episode of Star Trek: Enterprise.

I say all of this to illustrate that while I have very much enjoyed much of the Trek franchise that I have seen, there's a lot that I haven't seen, and I'm not some kind of 'die hard' Trekkie that can't accept change or anything like that. But despite having not seen big pieces of the franchise, between what I've learned from friends more well versed in it than myself, and from what I've read online in the past (particularly some info from the Enterprise series), I have some decent additional knowledge of some aspects of the franchise beyond those that I've actually seen.

So, having said all of that....

As I said, the movie, itself, was rather good. I enjoyed it for what it was. While I had read some spoilers before going into it, Khan being the villain was pretty much the worst kept secret in the universe. Honestly I don't even know why they would want to keep it a secret. If they are going to use such a well known villain from Star Trek lore, you'd think that would be a major marketing point. Really most of the 'plot twists' other than the reveal of Khan (which again, was not a well kept secret at all... and really served no purpose other than for the Khan name to resonate with fans when revealed... the alternate identity served little purpose to the plot, itself) really involve throwbacks to Star Trek II done in a slightly different manner. For the most part those nods/ little twists were executed well in and of themselves, such as Spock and Kirk on either side of the glass, now in the opposite situation as ST2. And of course Spock yelling "Khan!", which I will say he delivered well. But it was all a little 'on the nose', particularly the yelling of "Khan!" since as much of a threat as Khan is in the film, if I recall correctly, the problems with the warp core that Kirk went to fix (resulting in being exposed to deadly radiation) was messed up in the first place because of Admiral Marcus. While the need for it to work at that time was largely due to Khan, Marcus was really the one who screwed them over the most in that situation. Though, this really is by no means a big issue for me.

Also, it's not that I have some huge attachment to Star Trek II or that I feel this in any way has tainted what happened in that movie. That film is amongst the ones that I've maybe seen 2 or 3 times in my life, and it's been quite some time since my last viewing. I'm aware of the basics, but it's not a film that I feel is by any means 'tainted' or 'ruined' by this new film.

Rather, my issue, if I have any, is that while this film, for what it is, was executed well, I just don't know if it was the best direction to go in in general with this sequel, largely because of some of the key moments in it largely being something of a rehash of what has come before remixed slightly. It's the sort of thing that I would expect more so from something like a Back to the Future movie than Star Trek, since Back to the Future is all about time travel, changing history, the impact of it, paradoxes, etc., while Star Trek is not predominantly focused on time travel and the effects there of (despite the fact that a total of at least 4 Star Trek movies, including the 2009 film, have involved time travel in some way).

My point is that while this is an alternate time line, to me the most interesting potential aspect of that was the opportunity to create all new fun, entertaining stories and adventures with these well known characters in their prime, without having to worry about keeping tabs on each and every minor thing that ever happened in the history of the franchise and being concerned that what they do in these new films might conflict with or contradict some minor event or statement here or there that happened or was mentioned at some point in the previous films, TV series, etc.

While I very much enjoyed this new film for what it is, and while the reviews and reaction largely seems to be favorable, it still ,in my opinion, suffers from the fact that it will always be compared to Wrath of Khan in a number of respects..... and it sort of uses that older movie as a crutch for this film to work. It would have been nice if this film instead tried to create it's own unique story that might potentially become as iconic as Wrath of Khan, rather than leaning on what is already iconic (beyond the sheer basics of Star Trek and the characters) to draw in the audience.

Perhaps I would feel differently if the actors were signed up to do a total of 6 or 7 movies. But my guess is that they probably aren't.... at best they are likely signed up for the standard 3 movies, if that many.

While these new films have revitalized this franchise which was really sputtering on fumes for a while not long before the 2009 film came out, I don't know if the actors will stick with it long term. Unlike the casts of both the original series and Next Generation, who despite having in some cases done some other work, largely became defined by and typecast because of these roles and as a result kept coming back to do more movies, the actors in these new films aren't in the same situation. While these may be the biggest films that many of them have done, a lot of them have had solid TV and film careers prior to this, and will probably continue to have solid careers even if they never do another 'Trek' movie ever again after their contracts are up. They may not be able to convince these people to come back to 4, 5, or 6 movies. And while audiences have very much accepted these actors in these roles, I don't think continual recasting of these old characters would go over very well.

As such, they really need to make each film count for however long this lasts. And I'd rather see some new, original stories than get slightly remixed versions of old ones. But that's just my opinion on it.

And for some thoughts on a few other things...

On a somewhat separate note, I will say that I did not mind Spock Prime's appearance in the film. It wasn't really "needed," but I still enjoyed it (and it was only "logical" for young Spock to try to find out just what they were up against with Khan ). On the one hand, his presence in the first movie was largely meant to be the catalyst for rebooting the franchise in an alternate time line where events don't have to happen the same way, meaning that he isn't necessarily "needed" after serving that purpose. But on the other hand, he still exists as a character (arguably a separate character, since young Spock won't have all of the exact same experiences as him) in this timeline and universe, and I like seeing his inclusion. Plus since Leonard Nimoy is getting 'up there' in age, the remaining opportunities to have him play this character are becoming more and more limited.

If anything, I'd almost like to see him have a bit of a more active role in the next film. One thing that I wish we had gotten to see in at least one of these two films would have been Nimoy as older Spock interacting with his younger father. Since he is actively involved in setting up this Vulcan colony with his father being there as well, that would have the potential for some interesting interaction, I would think. And it would be unique territory to explore without rehashing something that came before hand.

I did enjoy the appearance of the Klingons. Their armor was cool, and it was interesting seeing the one that took his helmet off with what appeared to be some kind of jewelry or whatever in his forehead ridges. I do have one minor gripe about this, but it is one that could easily go away if it is explained at least in passing in a future film. Amongst the things that I'm aware of despite not having seen much of the original series or Enterprise is that in the original series the Klingons did not have the head ridges, etc. They basically just had big, bushy, pointy eyebrows... often a 'menacing' looking goatee, etc. And this first changed in the Star Trek movies and TNG series.

Now, had this just simply been and remained a change in design choice (which I'm sure it was at first), with us just supposed to accept that they just 'always' looked that way, that would be one thing. But from what I understand this was touched upon in both Deep Space Nine and Enterprise. On DS9 there was the episode where several characters including Worf go back in time to the Trouble with Tribbles episode of the original series. And when it is revealed that there are Klingons everywhere (looking the the original series Klingons), the others ask Worf what happened, and he says something like "We prefer not to talk about it." And from what I read a while back (the specifics of which are fuzzy), on the Enterprise series, it started out with the 'modern' look for the Klingons, but they went on to explain that something specific happened to them that makes them look the way they do in the original series, which at some point gets reversed further down the road.

I know this many seem like a minor nit pick (one that could be argued should be ignored for the alternate time line of these new films), but since they went out of their way to make reference to it and even explain it, and it's not just something mentioned in passing and it involves the overall look of an entire race in the franchise, as least acknowledging it would be nice. Even if it's something as simple as the event that causes them to go back to 'normal' somehow happened sooner in this timeline, that would be enough for me.

It's one thing for the events from the point where the time line changed to not go exactly like the original time line, but the history leading up to it should at least be accurate and intact.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; May 20, 2013 at 03:57pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

A lot of the old Trek actors had established careers beforehand - I mean, come on, LeVar Burton was Kunta Kinte! But working in Star Trek is a career-killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    A lot of the old Trek actors had established careers beforehand - I mean, come on, LeVar Burton was Kunta Kinte! But working in Star Trek is a career-killer.
    I can only assume you are being sarcastic, because LeVar Burton Wil Wheaton, Patrick Stewart, George Takei would all beg to differ

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I can only assume you are being sarcastic, because LeVar Burton Wil Wheaton, Patrick Stewart, George Takei would all beg to differ
    Ashley Judd, Joan Collins, Teri Garr, Ricardo Montalban, Famke Jannsen (first film role was as Kamala in TNG's "The Perfect Mate"), Kirsten Dunst, James Cromwell, and dozens of others have also appeared on TOS and TNG before they became big timers too. So Star Trek as a career killer is a fallacy.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Ashley Judd, Joan Collins, Teri Garr, Ricardo Montalban, Famke Jannsen (first film role was as Kamala in TNG's "The Perfect Mate"), Kirsten Dunst, James Cromwell, and dozens of others have also appeared on TOS and TNG before they became big timers too. So Star Trek as a career killer is a fallacy.
    But for the most part those were brief appearances. Even Ricardo Montalban as Khan, as well known and iconic as the role was, was limited to one TV episode and one film.

It's also not to say that none of the main cast members of the series had no work at all before, after, or inbetween their Star Trek roles, but for the most part those roles defined them there after. Often times the work they go on to do still references their ST work in some way (i.e. Will Wheaton on The Big Bang Theory). The biggest exception might be Patrick Stewart playing Professor X.

This isn't to say that they should be embarassed by their work on Star Trek. Things could be worse than that.

My point is simply that the current cast of the new movies is not likely to be as defined by these roles both due to their other work and the fact that they are filling the shoes of the actors who played them originally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    But for the most part those were brief appearances. Even Ricardo Montalban as Khan, as well known and iconic as the role was, was limited to one TV episode and one film.

It's also not to say that none of the main cast members of the series had no work at all before, after, or inbetween their Star Trek roles, but for the most part those roles defined them there after. Often times the work they go on to do still references their ST work in some way (i.e. Will Wheaton on The Big Bang Theory). The biggest exception might be Patrick Stewart playing Professor X.

This isn't to say that they should be embarassed by their work on Star Trek. Things could be worse than that.

My point is simply that the current cast of the new movies is not likely to be as defined by these roles both due to their other work and the fact that they are filling the shoes of the actors who played them originally.
    Its comparing apples to oranges though, film and tv today are not the same as they were in the 60's and even the 90's. Now you can be both a TV star and a Movie star. I see what you were saying but ST being defining roles for them was more a result of how the industry was structured then whether they got stereotyped.

Note I am not agruing against your point, I believe that the entire cast will easily transcend these roles even if they made 3-5 more movies, especially Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, and Simon Pegg

Patrick Stewart really had to wait a while for his star to come back after Star Trek, though. Kate Mulgrew, Avery Brooks... well, just about everybody had established careers beforehand, and then... kaput. Some of them have recovered, but a lot haven't. Most of the recovered ones are banking on Star Trek to keep going, really, like poor George Takei.

Oh hey, and concerning

Khan's whitewashing: Somebody told me, "I wouldn't mind if they cast Uhura as white as long as it was a good actress." ***? Are Trekkies ALL racist or something?

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Patrick Stewart really had to wait a while for his star to come back after Star Trek, though. Kate Mulgrew, Avery Brooks... well, just about everybody had established careers beforehand, and then... kaput. Some of them have recovered, but a lot haven't. Most of the recovered ones are banking on Star Trek to keep going, really, like poor George Takei.
    Kate Mulgrew? Kaput? Um, no she's been busy during Broadway, some voice acting for video games, and she still shows up on TV pretty regularly, Warehouse 13 being the latest show.

And Avery Brooks while not appearing on TV much, does still perform in theater, and we occasionally still get to hear his great voice in the narration of documentaries, like Nimoy does.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Patrick Stewart really had to wait a while for his star to come back after Star Trek, though.
    Not really. He returned to theater, which was always his first love after Trek. And it wasn't that long after before he was cast as Professor X. He always categorized himself as a theater actor who sort of stumbled into television. So it wasn't a surprise. This actually happens with a lot of Trek actors, because they have theater backgrounds and then go back to it. And a lot of them then go behind the camera.

Its comparing apples to oranges though, film and tv today are not the same as they were in the 60's and even the 90's. Now you can be both a TV star and a Movie star. I see what you were saying but ST being defining roles for them was more a result of how the industry was structured then whether they got stereotyped.

Note I am not agruing against your point, I believe that the entire cast will easily transcend these roles even if they made 3-5 more movies, especially Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, and Simon Pegg
    Very true! And it could have been A LOT worse for the older Star Trek actors. At least they didn't have to go through life being known as Gilligan!

Oh hey, and concerning
    I'd say possibly. I find most rabid fans don't realize their prejudices until their fandom is effected. Cast a black guy to play he-man you will see this board alight in the flames of hatred. hell it happed with ZODAK of all characters!! A lot of thos guys would rather the alien entity that the horsemen originally proposed to a black guy - because no matter what if they cast someone ethnic instead of white for what's a traditionally white role the world is going to end. like i said if the race of the character is important to the character's history, leave it alone. if it isn't it's fine. and sometimes the race of the character is important because what it represents - Lando Calrissian being black doesn't make a difference to his actual character in star wars, but it's culturally significant to US as there weren't any major ethnic characters in Star Wars until him. So his skin colour and appearance IS important.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Most of the recovered ones are banking on Star Trek to keep going, really, like poor George Takei.
    You realize George Takei has been working constantly since Star Trek right? He is currently on the Nick show Supah Ninjas, he had a major role on shows like HEROES, as well as years and years of voice work in everything from Transformers Prime to Adventure Time and Kim Possible. He has a rabid fan following on social media and is a regular in gay and lesbian politics as well as a regular on Howard Sterns XM-Sirius show.

He is not banking on Star Trek for anything at this point, so since you were being honest you are wrong again my friend

Your idea of success and career varies quite greatly from just about every valid metric

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    It might be interesting to have some of the original actors come back, although of course not playing the same characters. Haven't seen the movie yet but it was already "spoiled" for me by an excited fellow fan before I came to this thread so no worries about spoilers.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Sister Edith is in the hospital this week. She is having trouble sleeping and has requested tapes of Pastor Dave's sermons..."

Hey, here's a nice discussion with both sides of the coin:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=402669

So... we're both right and wrong, depending on the actor. Some great careers got deep-sixed, some careers survived, some thrived. Now, let's see if someone takes personal issue with THAT.