Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Into Darkness

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I watched it last night and was very pleased.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I saw that movie Monday night and really enjoyed it. I think the first one was probably better, but this one was still great in my opinion. I don't have a lot of background experience with the Star Trek property, so that may be why I'm able to enjoy it more and not dissect and compare it to the past so much.

I preferred thios to the first one in a BIG way. When I finished the first I thought, that wasn't bad, when I walked out of this one I thought 'man that was fun!!" I have a few nitpicks (don't know why Whedon loves his lens flares so much and my aforementioned issue with Cumberbatches screen presence for the character) but I would buy this movie, the first I don't think I would.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The Kre-O collection so far! I have a case of the individually packed Kreons coming tomorrow from BBTS! I am really liking these. I've managed to avoid buying LEGO and other brick sets as an adult. But I got hooked on these. I'm having a blast with them. I really like the light-up features. And they are nicely affordable compared to LEGO, even though LEGO will probably always be the best bricks around.

One of the ships there is a custom build I did of the cargo ship that Harrison and Spock fight on. It's the first time I've tried to look at something and turn it into brick form. Since I don't collect LEGO, I bought an Old Republic Star Wars fighter from LEGO to use for the pieces. So I had to really think it through as I was pretty limited on pieces. I was really happy with the way it turned out!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Do you have problems with the dome/lid piece ont he saucer part of your Enterprise? It won't stay attached on mine. It pops off constantly. When I press one side down,t he other pops off. It's almost like it's mis-shapen or something, like it doesn't fit right.

Here's my video review to show you what I mean:

I've had a few people tell me I'm just doing it wrong...lol...but I can't for the life of me get this piece to stay on. Curious if this is a wide-spread issue or just something wrong with mine.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I had the exact same problem with the first one I bought. In fact, it annoyed me so much I took that one back and wasn't planning on getting the line. But then I was swayed and repurchased it. And it fit perfectly. So I do think it's not an isolated issue. But it doesn't seem every piece has it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I had the exact same problem with the first one I bought. In fact, it annoyed me so much I took that one back and wasn't planning on getting the line. But then I was swayed and repurchased it. And it fit perfectly. So I do think it's not an isolated issue. But it doesn't seem every piece has it.
    At least it's not just me. I've had a few people (you know, the aweosme people that post comments on videos) tell me it's a "user issue" and that I'm "doing it wrong." But I'm messing with it trying to figure out how I could possibly be doing anythign wrong. It just does not fit at all.

I feel you! I actually tried rebuilding it to see if restoring the "helper" pieces and then trying to put it back on the top section would work. But it didn't. What kind of stinks is that I heard that Hasbro doesn't do replacement parts for Kre-O. So you have to get a whole new set and rebuild. I am very happy with the new set though. I have heard others that they just use some 2-peg pieces to connect it and it stays on fine that way, so you might try that.

Thankfully no other pieces have been a problem on any of the other sets.

I didn't see Kre-O's Grasia or Lt. Sprog in Into Darkness. Did I miss something? Who are these characters?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I LOVED the movie. The only thing that threw me was the "solution" to Kirk's "situation" at the end...what are the ramifications of THAT discovery??

Heroic Warrior
    I watched the movie tonight and enjoyed it. I have to tell myself that it's Star Trek characters in a non-Star Trek movie to get past the distaste I feel for how different it is from old ST. J.J. Abrams has his moments but I'm actually quite worried about Star Wars now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntumbuluku View Post
    I watched the movie tonight and enjoyed it. I have to tell myself that it's Star Trek characters in a non-Star Trek movie to get past the distaste I feel for how different it is from old ST. J.J. Abrams has his moments but I'm actually quite worried about Star Wars now.
    I'm not. I've never been big into Star Trek, but JJ Abrams kind of 'star warsed star trek" which a lot of trekkies seem to hate, but it's gotten me - more of a star wars fan - to enjoy Star Trek (though to be fair I enjoyed a LOT of TNG and DS9) So I think he will bring back the fun to Star Wars - I found the prequels had their moments, I don't loathe them like many do but they weren't what I wanted. I think Abrams will deliver way more faithfully than he has wth Trek.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by I, Harbinger View Post
    I didn't see Kre-O's Grasia or Lt. Sprog in Into Darkness. Did I miss something? Who are these characters?
    Grasia was a crew member of the Kelvin, I believe. Lt. Sprog is still a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    At least it's not just me. I've had a few people (you know, the aweosme people that post comments on videos) tell me it's a "user issue" and that I'm "doing it wrong." But I'm messing with it trying to figure out how I could possibly be doing anythign wrong. It just does not fit at all.
    Really enjoyed all the Kre-O Trek reviews, Dan, can't wait to pick these up now. Btw, are the Sulu (Shuttle) and Kirk (Enterprise) Kreons' uniforms two different shades of yellow? Seems odd to me if so...

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Grasia was a crew member of the Kelvin, I believe. Lt. Sprog is still a mystery to me.
    I think I know the one you're talking about, but I thought the Kelvin crew wore different uniforms.

Toys based on barely-visible background characters isn't a new thing, at least not since Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I've never been big into Star Trek, but JJ Abrams kind of 'star warsed star trek" which a lot of trekkies seem to hate
    That is an excellent point. I am a Star Trek fan and a Star Wars fan (something that is not common, at least for the people I know). And I hate when they try to put more science facts in SW like the "midiclorians" crap, or try to Star warsed star trek like you said, like Sulu's automatic sword.

About the new movie:

The chase scene with the Klingons and the mini-milenium falcon trying to pass through a narrow corridor that reminds me to the Return of the Jedi, when they are escaping from the exploding death star.

The interior of the enterprise is ridiculously big. The battle scene is basically the Enterprise receiving shots from the other ship. Since when the enterprise has thrusters all over the hull? Tecnically this new Star Trek has lost the treknology facts and the importance of the Enterprise itself.There is almost no new races exploration or conflicts. All is a future that is not here. May be I like that the end opens that possibility

I didn't like the movie but as a star trek fan I am going to watch it 10 more times

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    That is an excellent point. I am a Star Trek fan and a Star Wars fan (something that is not common, at least for the people I know). And I hate when they try to put more science facts in SW like the "midiclorians" crap, or try to Star warsed star trek like you said, like Sulu's automatic sword.

About the new movie:

I didn't like the movie but as a star trek fan I am going to watch it 10 more times
    Personally, I hope V'Ger or the Probe actually wipe out Abrams Trek in this universe LOL
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Really enjoyed all the Kre-O Trek reviews, Dan, can't wait to pick these up now. Btw, are the Sulu (Shuttle) and Kirk (Enterprise) Kreons' uniforms two different shades of yellow? Seems odd to me if so...
    I think they are the same. they look the same to me. Might have just been the lighting somehow?

I think I know the one you're talking about, but I thought the Kelvin crew wore different uniforms.
    True. I think they might have re-used the make-up for an Enterprise crew member in the new movie. I seem to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Toys based on barely-visible background characters isn't a new thing, at least not since Star Wars.
    Nope, and I love it. I think both the aliens are awesome. I want more of them. I just want to know where this guy came from. I am hoping they get more of the alien crew from the movies. I like the coppery colored female with the strange voice, and the guy with white eyes that has a computer in the back of his head.

There were definitely a few fairly prominent/recurring/credited crew members that I wouldn't mind seeing pop up in merch. Sure there are other characters I'd like to see first, but if we're talking background...I wouldn't mind having Kreons of these four (I at least remember them, which is more than I can say for "Lt. Sprog" or "Grasia")...

Science Officer 0718:
    0718.jpg

(Deltan?) Navigation Officer Darwin:
    Darwin.jpg

Lt. Madeline:
    Madeline.jpg

Officer Hendorff (Cupcake):
    Hendorff.jpg

In any case, I hope Hasbro has more Kre-O news up their sleeve for the new movie!

JonWes: While I'm not normally a Kre-O fan, a friend gave me the first wave of Trek polybagged figures, and I was positively surprised. Compared to the rather abysmal (read "cheap") Transformers Kreons, these guys look quite good with their custom prints, unique heads and new weapons. How can anyone not want a Lego-scale bat'leh!? I was amused to see that only one figure was a major character (Nero) with another being a recurring supporting one (Scotty's little helper) and the new-style Klingon being very nice.

I'm amused by the super-obscure background extras and the Gorn, which Masamune informs me is based on a design from the video game released for the first Abrams movie.

Overall I think these are some of the nicest Kre-O products so far! I actually want more.

I just saw it today and thought it was VERY good. Like others have said not quite as good as the first but very close. A lot of very good scenes in the movie but the one that actually had me almost crying (almost**cough**) was the scene where:

The roles of Spock and Kirk were reversed in which Kirk is dying from radiation and Spock starts to cry. Such a good scene and twist on the classic scene from Wrath of Khan--Abrams really has the interaction with these characters down pat
    After seeing this, I'm really looking forward to see what Abrams does with StarWars

Was finally able to pick up the (almost) entire assortment of Kre-O Star Trek at TRU yesterday (missing Klingon & Grasia Kreons, and the small Space Dive set, which I wasn't too interested in anyhow). These are very fun little sets. I actually had zero problems with my Enterprise dome/lid, it surprisingly fits perfectly. I can confirm however, Sulu & Kirk's gold shirts are two different shades of yellow - Kirk's is a darker gold, Sulu's is bright yellow, no idea why.

I also couldn't help but pick up the adorable and squat little Fighter Pods Enterpise for $20. A bummer that Hasbro didn't try figures again this go round, but it's nice to see other Trek movie merch out.

I actually had zero problems with my Enterprise dome/lid, it surprisingly fits perfectly. I can confirm however, Sulu & Kirk's gold shirts are two different shades of yellow - Kirk's is a darker gold, Sulu's is bright yellow, no idea why.
    That's really great! I'm glad the problem with the dome seems pretty isolated. Most people don't seem to be having the issues I've had with mine.

The shirts thing is weird, though. I didn't even notice it until it was brought up in this thread, and I have them both displayed ont he bridge together. Sure enough, the colors are slightly different. Strange.

I would have loved to get some really nicely done action figures from this new film, but I think Playmates' attemmpt and failure form the first film must have scared Hasbro away from trying. But I'm still pretty happy with the Kre-O stuff. They definitely make for a unique new collection of Star Trek toys!

Quote Originally Posted by Ntumbuluku View Post
    I was just thinking about this for movies in general ..... In movies of the past, you where able to have slow, quiet character moments. Now it's all effects, and fast paced action. gone are the 80's...

As for the movie, I liked it.

Did Kahn actually hit starfleet? All those buildings look alike..sort of like transformers ;o). And did anyone think 'Enterprise B' with the vengance?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I really, really enjoyed this movie. Like, a lot. I don't think I could've been happier with it.

someone on staff probably thought .. ' you know, if we remake kahn next..how are we going to handle spock dying? we destroyed vulcan, no mt seleya....
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

My biggest gripe with Star Trek into Darkness is that THERE ARE NO ACTION FIGURES FOR IT!

Yeah, I know why: because of a dispute between JJ Abrams and CBS. And I also am aware that the Playmates figures for the last movie were terrible. But man, when I watched STiD I was thinking how cool a lot of figures, playsets, and vehicles could be!

Like the new Klingon Bird-of-prey with deploying several Klingon figures by cable. Or the barge with the Spock-Khan-Uhura fight. Or the more rounded Mudd-ship with Kirk, Spock, and Uhura in civilian clothes. Or the shuttlecraft with Sulu, Uhura, and Spock in volcano suit. Or the temple scene with Bones and Kirk running from natives with the scroll (and alien beast). Or the space jump scene with Kirk and Khan. Or Scotty sneaking up on the Vengeance shipyard in Shuttlecraft.

Not to mention some great models on the Enterprise and Vengeance with lights and sounds (and battle damage).

Stupid JJ and CBS, just get over it and make us some cool toys!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Why exactly would CBS not want to make Star Wars like toys to go along with Into Darkness? The movie had more Star Wars-like toy-ready vehicles than any Trek movie yet. I don't doubt that action figures are a question mark in recent years, but these seem like they would have appealed to both young and old fans now. Waiting a few years to try and sell toys based on this (if ever) will only make them old news to younger fans. I am kind of amazed that anyone let the TV Trek rights walk out the door too. For some reason I get the feeling Les Moonves is holding the rights hostage under this chair.

Note: the original Klingon Bird of Prey is my favorite space ship design in the history of ever, so I can't get behind the Klingon shuttles from Into Darkness being dubbed the "new" bird of prey. They look too much like mini versions of that ugly ship from Star Trek Nemesis to me. But I'd love to get the Klingon Battle Cruiser glimpsed in the simulator of the 09 movies (and featured as a mini-model in the Star Trek Expeditions game) with electronic sounds and all.

RE the Star Trek vs Star Wars thing, I don't mind some of the elements of Star Wars making their way over to Trek. But Trek was primarily a nautical adventure with bits of the Western thrown in, and Star Wars more of a swashbuckling romp mixed with WWII movies and generous helpings of pulp, fantasy, and hero cycle mythology. I think you lose strengths of one when you try to turn it to much into the other. Abrams' has been fun, but I honestly think the Trek 2 was a crutch for this movie more than I'd have wanted a first sequel to be. They should look to Peter Weir and get the same mojo he worked on Master and Commander to get the right feel for big screen Trek IMO. A problem will always be that Trek was designed for TV and in movies it has never done as well with the exploration and discovery themes. I just wish it could be a TV show again too. Never will like turning Vulcan into Trek's Alderaan though. Even Lucas created a new planet called Naboo rather than develop a prequel Alderaan into a world you'd actually miss (rightly or wrongly).
    Last edited by gbagok; June 3, 2013 at 04:45pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406