Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MOTU Classics Galactic PRotector He-Man Video Review by Pixel Dan

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Yeah ! Now we really............ REALLY need He-Man 2.0 !!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

LOOSE & INCOMPLETE UNNAMED ONE/GORPO FOR SALE !

Finally got around to watching the video, and I've gotta say that with this, another of the so-called variants (as I've only ever been impressed with the variants and still adore each and every one of them), I'm so incredibly blown away! Every figure has minor nitpicks and I'm sure once I have this guy in hand I'll find a few, but right now he appears to be a pretty damn spot on representation of this NA character done in the Masters style. And thanks Dan for posting these advanced look reviews for all of us to enjoy!

Speaking of the video reviews, Dan. I'm curious, what do you do with these advanced samples you're sent? Do you keep them and then flip your sub figures once they arrive, or perhaps sometimes instead flip the sample and keep the sub depending on which is in better shape?

I recall reading an article on this very topic some time ago and opinions among reviewers seem to differ, but I'm curious what you personally do.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    No problem, Dan. And thanks! Whenever you can get to it, if you can, is awesome.

I was checking out the Fwoosh review of this figure, and this has solidified my interest in getting a second one (despite him coming out at what will be an expensive time with all of the figures that month and SDCC shortly after).... They did a hand swap and put one of the hands from NA He-Man on another He-Man figure (in this case the one from the DC/MOTUC pack)....

http://thefwoosh.com/wp-content/uplo...ft-592x896.jpg

According to what they said, they did a simple heat up and swap of the hand. I'm looking forward to this even more!
    I am definitely buying an extra now to swap with my original He-Man!
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, CAMO KHAN, LODAR, EVIL ROBOT, NINJOR, ROTAR, TWISTOID

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Speaking of the video reviews, Dan. I'm curious, what do you do with these advanced samples you're sent? Do you keep them and then flip your sub figures once they arrive, or perhaps sometimes instead flip the sample and keep the sub depending on which is in better shape?
    I keep them. Techincally, I'm not supposed to sell or even give away any review sample I get from Mattel. So these are the loose figures I have on my personal display shelves. Once I get done with the review and any additioanl pics I need to take, they go on my shelf. They end up getting reused for other reviews multiple times down the road as well, when the make appearances in other figure reviews.

I also have two subscriptions this year. One subscription is for myself to keep MOC (MOTU is the only line I do this with. Every other line I open everything regardless). My second sub is specifically for contests. I've been giving away every figure this year on my website.

So I don't sell any of my review samples. That generally goes for anything I'm sent from any company. Just about everything I'm sent stays with me, or is given to a friend that also collects if it's something I don't personally want to keep.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I keep them. Techincally, I'm not supposed to sell or even give away any review sample I get from Mattel. So these are the loose figures I have on my personal display shelves. Once I get done with the review and any additioanl pics I need to take, they go on my shelf. They end up getting reused for other reviews multiple times down the road as well, when the make appearances in other figure reviews.

I also have two subscriptions this year. One subscription is for myself to keep MOC (MOTU is the only line I do this with. Every other line I open everything regardless). My second sub is specifically for contests. I've been giving away every figure this year on my website.

So I don't sell any of my review samples. That generally goes for anything I'm sent from any company. Just about everything I'm sent stays with me, or is given to a friend that also collects if it's something I don't personally want to keep.
    Thanks Dan! I won't try to drag this thread further OT with more questions, but I appreciate the reply. Makes sense that they'd stay with you and I'm actually happier knowing that they do. Selling them would just seem.... wrong somehow.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Heroic Warrior
    awesome review Dan. the figure looks great

Looks fine to me, can't wait to have him.

Snappy Threader
    Cool review as always PD!

Yeah, really not digging the hand, it doesn't look correct, like his wrist was broken, and reset wrong....plus the fingers are not correct....
    It really looks bad on a regular He-Man figure.

If they were going to do it, they should have just taken the original hand and added the swivel to it....the new hand just looks horrible.

Mattel can take MAA's mustache and put it on Dekker, but they can't reuse the original He-Man face, and just sculpt new hair, and also
    can't just simply take the existing hand and add the swivel to it....so amazing....Yet, they can intentionally swap forearms on Stinkor, and
    make all the shoulder and forearm blunders on other figures....
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; May 17, 2013 at 08:09pm.
    Recent....Blade
    Coming....Scorpia & Battle Lion
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I don't mind the head. It's kind of nice that the Horseman have changed the He Man head slightly between the different releases. That way, it seems like it is a new take on the character, rather than the exact same head with new clothes. I appreciate all the little nuances the Horseman put into the sculpt and keeping it fresh.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    This figure is simply amazing!

-New articulation!
    -Tons of accessories!
    -Fantastic interpretation on source material!
    -Sweet paint apps!
    -It's HE-MAN!

I have to say that this figure is likely to become my latest addition to my "top shelf" figures, which currently includes Mer-Man, Trap Jaw, and Ram-Man.

Also, on a side note, there is another great nod to the vintage He-Man figure on NA (GP) He-Man's armor: the three red squares along the shoulder simulate the one's found on his vintage power armor! (The 4H are action figure gods!!)

Great review PD, and thanks!! I am stoked for this figure!!!!!!!!
    **Staunch FILMation Subscription supporter!!! **** NEEDS a New Adventures Subscription!!!**

MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Awesome review, Dan!

I definitely was not looking forward to this figure, so I was hoping your review would make me a at least a little bit excited for him. Sadly, even your regularly scheduled MOTU review that I so look forward to each and every month doesn't help my lack of He-Man hype on this one. I think my inner younger self is still mentally scarred by New Adventures in the late 80s after having loved the original line for nearly every year of my life prior to that.

He looks cool in the armored up style. It's cool that he comes with a lot of stuff to deck him out with. I really don't like that sword/shield. It's hard to get over that even though I know this is supposed to be "Space/Future He-Man". Definitely "not my He-Man".

Still a cool figure though and I recognize that it is a part of He-Man history even though it's not "MOTU".

So much more hyped for Clamp Champ and Icer in July rather than NA He-Man. Club Filmation definitely makes up for NA He-Man!!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

This is the best version of He-Man released to-date. I love the face and the ponytail head. A+. Can't wait for him to be released. I will buy like 2 extra day of sale.
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

Thanks Dan for the review. I wasn't excited for this variant until I watched your video, now I don't really look at it like a variant, it's part of the NA line that I never knew I wanted!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I'll buy this figure eventually, if my interest in MOTUC still exist in the future. Nice review Dan, as the figure (without the armor) is pretty cool.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior Evil Lord of Destruction's Avatar
    I have a sub. I don't get a choice if I want this figure or not, but I like it so whatever.
    BESTIA PELUDA!!!!!<Skeletor dubbed in spanish
    At the center of the universe,at the border between the light
    and dark, stands castle greyskull.............

Just noticed in the comparison time shot that the harness straps are painted red on the original, but gold on the MOTUC. I think this is a shame because the red they chose really looks great along side the gold, but there just isn't that much red, so having red straps would have really helped to make that harness stand out a bit more. : / I wonder if this was a cost cutting measure or a design choice. I'm a bit disappointed. And those sausage fingers aren't helping this figures case. He was one of my most anticipated figures for this year, and he's slowly disappointing me, which is a shame. In what universe is a pinky the same girth and length as a middle finger? I guess his molecular structure got all out of sync when he arrived on Primus with it's whacky atmosphere. Apparently it also pulls the center of your head into itself and flays out your jaw. I wonder if He-man would have made the journey had he known the ravages that his face and hands would endure. Consistency is not the kind of thing that I want to see slip this late into a line that is so comprehensive. Wasn't that one of the things Mattel was shoving in our faces in the beginning?

Heroic Warrior
    The trouble with the hand is it is sculpted straight, as though the is just holding the sword in a neutral pose, like the regular hand,
    If you hold your own hand up in the air, as though your doing the classic he-man pose, then look at you hand in the pose the last three fingers are tight and the fore finger spreads out,
    It should have just been sculpted in the correct pose, and then when he has his arms down he would have just been in a pointing the sword pose, wich could have look cool too

Quote Originally Posted by Zombihamma-AI View Post
    The trouble with the hand is it is sculpted straight, as though the is just holding the sword in a neutral pose, like the regular hand,
    If you hold your own hand up in the air, as though your doing the classic he-man pose, then look at you hand in the pose the last three fingers are tight and the fore finger spreads out,
    It should have just been sculpted in the correct pose, and then when he has his arms down he would have just been in a pointing the sword pose, wich could have look cool too
    Hmmm, someone else knows their Anatomy as well....I thought I was the only one that saw it didn't look right in it's actual intended pose....it looks like he broke his wrist and it set all weird.

Not to mention every finger is huge and the same size....last I checked your pinky wasn't the size of your index finger, or the same length. And the hands are just huge to boot....I mean not only is the head small, and the jawline off, it looks as if maybe He-Man was playing with Hornets or something, got stung in the jaw, and the hands, and that explains why the head is small and the jaw so big, and his hands look like he ripped HULK's off painted them tan and sewed them on himself.

But even HULK has correctly proportioned fingers even on his Ham hands.
    Recent....Blade
    Coming....Scorpia & Battle Lion
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Hmmm, someone else knows their Anatomy as well....I thought I was the only one that saw it didn't look right in it's actual intended pose....it looks like he broke his wrist and it set all weird.

Not to mention every finger is huge and the same size....last I checked your pinky wasn't the size of your index finger, or the same length. And the hands are just huge to boot....I mean not only is the head small, and the jawline off, it looks as if maybe He-Man was playing with Hornets or something, got stung in the jaw, and the hands, and that explains why the head is small and the jaw so big, and his hands look like he ripped HULK's off painted them tan and sewed them on himself.

Have you read the whole thread? I've noticed the same thing and have said so above. The hands are just wrong, the overhead pose does not work at all and the proportions and anatomy of this figure's hands and arms are just wrong.
    You are not the only one!
    In fact I really wonder why so few people see this. IMO It even looks 100 times worse than Stinkor's reversed forearms!
    Awesome sticker included!

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    i'm by no means trying to pick on anyone but picking on an action figure for not having the same movements as a human is kind of unfair. to get the articulation to look right is not easy when you are working with hard plastic and on a small scaled figure. the fingers are probably larger to strengthen the hand to have the articulation.

bottom line i'm pumped for this figure and plan on doing some hand swaps with other he-man figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Awesome review, Dan!

I definitely was not looking forward to this figure, so I was hoping your review would make me a at least a little bit excited for him. Sadly, even your regularly scheduled MOTU review that I so look forward to each and every month doesn't help my lack of He-Man hype on this one. I think my inner younger self is still mentally scarred by New Adventures in the late 80s after having loved the original line for nearly every year of my life prior to that.

He looks cool in the armored up style. It's cool that he comes with a lot of stuff to deck him out with. I really don't like that sword/shield. It's hard to get over that even though I know this is supposed to be "Space/Future He-Man". Definitely "not my He-Man".

Still a cool figure though and I recognize that it is a part of He-Man history even though it's not "MOTU"
    ^^^

WHAT THIS GUY SAID ...

seriously, i just totally echo those words ... that is exactly how i feel too ...

but as ever, great review danny!
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

really looking forward to this figure. i remember being so disappointed by the original figure.

Heroic Warrior
    Which figure matches his skin tone?

Are the rest of July's figures going to be late reviews as was Octavia?