Thread: Aeon Flux (MTV animated show)

Heroic Warrior

Aeon Flux (MTV animated show)

Who remembers this awesome yet weird as hell adult animated sci-fi action thriller series? it all began as shorts on Liquid TV which i recalled watching when i was 10 and i taped every episode of Liquid TV as those shorts were my faves. Then came the spin-off show where everyone spoked in 95, i was 14 then and i taped every episode.

The stories were complex and cerebral and had some neat realistic character design by Peter Chung who did the original Ninja Turtles toons's first season and COPS (the 80s toon). John Raft Lee was terrific as Trevor Goodchild on the show as he was later Wynn on Spawn TAS and Mier Link on Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and also some bizarre ideas like Trevor going inside a fat politician's stomach with a wrench into a virtual world to brainwashed people giving away their blood then going inside private booths to smile and eat cabbage.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I remember that Phantom 2040 looked almost exactly like Aeon Flux, especially the same skinny character designs. Peter Chung was working on both shows at the same time.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Don't forget John Raft also did voices in Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex.

Anyway, Aeon Flux was all right, but I prefer Reign the Conqueror for Chung's stuff because Alexander actually had a story and an ending. Well, as much of an ending as the Japanese know how to write most of the time.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I didn't have MTV at home so I only saw bits and pieces of the show at other houses. I remember there was a big deal made over the fact her groin armor had a locking mechanism on it.

I suppose the show made sense on some level, but I thought it was sort of weird too. Watching Phantom 2040 on Youtube, I get the feeling that's the series Aeon Flux would've been like if it lacked some of the stranger elements. They were all but cut from the same cloth- dystopian future in the city, villain was a crazy person with strong political powers and wealth, purple-clad mystery hero...

I suppose the recent film was an "in name only" sort of affair, but most adaptation movies usually are.

Heroic Warrior
    Does anyone remember the shorts on Liquid TV? i did and thought they were neat yet weird. Remembered when Trevor on the pilot episode was poisoning people with a deadly toxic beetle he would put into his finger then when he went back to his apartment he cut his middle finger then squeezes the bug out into a glass then sees green eggs inside then uses a butter knife to scoop it out then puts it on a cracker to eat it? i was like "what the..." when i was 11 seeing that short and was like "Ouch" as i felt Aeon's pain when she stepped on that large staple on her foot as it was painful to look at.

Yes i remember that Phantom show it was cool too, did you know Chung also did the first season of Ninja Turtles the original show? you can tell how much Oroko Sakai looks like a Japanese Trevor Goodchild. And did you noticed on the COPS (toon) with his designs even Big Boss's design and Dr. Bad Vibes's designs?

One of my favorite shows of all time.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

I remember watching it thinking the girl needed a hamburger. Her design was kinda gross. At the time I had no idea waht was going on. If I watched it now I might think the samething
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Yup, I remember. In fact I have the DVD box set that has the original shorts and the short-lived series.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Who thinks this show is highly influenced by Heavy Metal (magazine and the movie), 1984, Blade Runner, Brazil (the Terry gilliam film), Akira, Fritz Lang's Metropolis and Alan Moore's V For Vendetta? i'm sure Chung is a fan of those sources and could be possibly also inspired by his previous work on C.O.P.S.

The shorts are quite influential as well as the show as you can tell how much the Wachowskis are fans of it and borrowed some elements for it on Matrix as you can tell that episode "The Purge" inspired the robot into the naval bit like the custodians.

Can you imagine if you had hands as feet like one of Aeon's friends on this show? she had monkey feet.