Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 years of Jem and the Holograms

Ready for POP Mini-Sub! -= SupernovA =-'s Avatar

25 years of Jem and the Holograms

Jem and the Holograms, The Misfits & The Stingers

Thank you for 25 years of your great adventures, awesome music, fabulous dolls & fashions but most of all Girlpower! Together with She-Ra Princess of Power you were an awesome rolemodel for girls in the 80's and still an inspiration to many of your oldskool fans. You're still Truly Outrageous!

Some hits from Jem and the Holograms

Some hits from The Misfits

Some hits from the Stingers

Jem and the Holograms at SDCC 2007 Masquerade

And how to apply Jem make-up!

Samantha Newark (Speaking voice of Jem) shout out and first solo album!

Britta Philips (Singing voice of Jem) on how it all started.
    Can you believe she's alost 50? Doesn't look a day older than 35.

And remember... We are the Misfits, Our songs are better!

You know what would be nice - a re-release of the DVD collection!

Yes please! And this time include the last part of season 3 as well.

Supernova, is that YOUR collection?! GEEZ!!! That's an amazing sight to behold! The theme to this year's Jem Con is going to be Silver Anniversary. It's being held in New Hampshire this year, Sept. 24-26. I'm on the fence about going. I went two years ago to the one in California and it was a WONDERFUL experience.

25 years? wow tht's awesome dvds and anniversery dolls would be nice(ssc's gettin em)
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

I really enjoyed Jem and a re-release would be fantastic. My wife thinks they should do some 25th anniversary dolls and I think she is right.
    SUPPORTING THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HE-MAN 110%

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    I really enjoyed Jem and a re-release would be fantastic. My wife thinks they should do some 25th anniversary dolls and I think she is right.
    Maybe they could redo the Glitter & Gold doll, but in Smashin' Silver or something! The main reason that the Jem doll line failed is that it was not compatible with Barbie, but nowadays, dolls like action figures, come in all different sizes. Barbie is like the ONLY doll her size anymore, then you have Bratz, Liv, Moxie Girls, Monster High, Moxie Teenz, not to mention collectors dolls like Tonner... all over the place in terms of scale. And with Monster High (and Bratz before that) proving that girls WILL go for something that isn't too cutsie and girlie, but that has an edge, if ever there was a time for Jem's return, it's now!
    Last edited by Wonderboy_JMB; August 27, 2010 at 02:18pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderboy_JMB View Post
    Maybe they could redo the Glitter & Gold doll, but in Smashin' Silver or something! The main reason that the Jem doll line failed is that it was not compatible with Barbie, but nowadays, dolls like action figures, come in all different sizes. Barbie is like the ONLY doll her size anymore, then you have Bratz, Liv, Moxie Girls, Monster High, Moxie Teenz, not to mention collectors dolls like Tonner... all over the place in terms of scale. And with Monster High (and Bratz before that) proving that girls WILL go for something that isn't too cutsie and girlie, but that has an edge, if ever there was a time for Jem's return, it's now!
    Yeah I totally agree with you. Its funny my sister wanted nothing but Barbies back in the day and no other doll would do. My daughter on the other hand doesn't want to touch a Barbie because she thinks they are lame, and she loves Bratz and Liv. Funny how times change, never the less Glitter and Gold would be cool to see.
    SUPPORTING THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HE-MAN 110%

Beast of 1000 Bottles Hordaiquiri's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    You know what would be nice - a re-release of the DVD collection!
    Quote Originally Posted by -= SupernovA =- View Post
    Amen to that!

What a collection in that first post..

The Misfits' songs really were better! Theme songs don't lie!
    Gimme a Gimmick! Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme Gimme a Gimmick!
    Vintage NA for MOTUC!! LET'S GO~~
    MOTUC wants: Spinnerella, Angella, Mermista, Perfuma, Peekablue, Kayo, Darius, Drissi, Sebrian, Crita, Hoove, Mara, Staghorn, Crystoll, Quakke, B.H., Lizzor, Lord Masque, Chef Allen, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeze, Clawdeen, Granita, Hunga, the Twiggets, Meteorbs
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon

Wasn't there a rumor of a Jem movie? I suppose we'll see the cartoon on DVD again if that ever happens.

Wasn't there a rumor of a Jem movie? I suppose we'll see the cartoon on DVD again if that ever happens.
    Christy Marx said that there were plans for a Jem movie a few years back, with a pretty major star attached (she wouldn't name names) but it never went anywhere.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Ditto. Ive got the first two Rhino releases so this would complete my Jem dvd lot. Ive got a cool idea for a complete series box set. Like the Gi Joe one but looks like Synergy computer.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    WOW 25 years!! I feel old. I would buy a complete set of this cartoon.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Ah yes! My Main collection! Above all else ive collected my Complete set of dolls and fashions is my crowning glory!!!

Outrageous!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Supernova, is that YOUR collection?! GEEZ!!! That's an amazing sight to behold! The theme to this year's Jem Con is going to be Silver Anniversary. It's being held in New Hampshire this year, Sept. 24-26. I'm on the fence about going. I went two years ago to the one in California and it was a WONDERFUL experience.
    Oh God no! I wish. I was just googling for some nice Jem collections and this one blew me away haha. I'm a MOTU/POP fan/collector, but I love all 80's cartoons and their toys. Though I started collecting the Misfits a few years ago due to a friend of mine who collects Barbies, which is not my thing. He is born in the late 80's and so didn't know Jem. I introduced it to him and he loooved it and started collecting them immediately.

Anyway, his enthousiasm got me into Jem again and I started collecting the Misfits (I have a preference for villains, they're much more fun hehe). But I sold them again two years ago when the MOTUC line started and now I regret it so much.... Also because they are so rare these days on eBay especially MIB. Maybe I will start collecting them again in the future. They are just way to cool and some might dabate this but I never saw them as Barbie dolls, more like huge actionfigures, maybe also because they are cartoon interpretations and Barbie doesn't have an 80's cartoon. I don't know.

This is as far as I got...

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Ah yes! My Main collection! Above all else ive collected my Complete set of dolls and fashions is my crowning glory!!!

Outrageous!
    Is that your collection on those photos Staff of Ka? Or do you mean of all the lines you collect your Jem collection is number 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post
    Ditto. Ive got the first two Rhino releases so this would complete my Jem dvd lot. Ive got a cool idea for a complete series box set. Like the Gi Joe one but looks like Synergy computer.
    That would be so cool!
    Last edited by -= SupernovA =-; August 28, 2010 at 04:28am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post
    Oh that's a GREAT idea! Especially since they never had a Synergy computer in the toy line, so it could serve double duty!

I would support a full series release. I still think that this is one of the most underrated cartoons series. It had such great story telling, characters, art, and music. It's a shame it didn't last longer. I would have loved to see how things would have played out with some of the unfinished story lines.

The thing I loved the most about the series was just how distinct each character was. Stormer, Kimber, and Pizzaz were my favorites. I think if the show had continued Stormer would have joined the Holograms.

Apokoliptian Ravager Mr. Roboto's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the images, Nova. That Jem collection is something else!

I'd like to see the entire Jem DVD series released on DVD as well. I was lucky that I was able to get the first two sets. And I was furious when I found out that there would be no third set! This meant that I wouldn't get my all time favorite episode Out of the Past on DVD.

3 years ago, the city I live in held its first fantasy con. I was walking around and was stunned when I found Samantha Newark AND Patricia Albrecht! Originally I wasn't going to approach them, but an inner voice said, "Do it! You don't want to be an old man on his death bed saying 'why didn't I do it?' " They were both very kind and sweet. Samantha got a kick out of it when I was discussing Jem crossovers and I suggested Knight Rider. I love the idea of KITT and Syngery interacting with each other.

I posted a couple of pictures of the two elsewhere on the site, just put in "Mr. Roboto" in the search and maybe they're still up.

That was a truly outrageous moment for me!
    "Once a symbol of terror, I will make this a symbol of honor."

Out pf the Past is THE BEST!

They also need to do some sort of official music release. Remastered CDs... at least a few of the songs, but pretty much all of the music has to exist in studio form someplace right? It'd be nice to get those in a higher quality than the cds copied from the doll cassettes and straight off the TV!

I thought I would post some pics of my Jem Collection, sadly at the moment they are all in crates because I dont have space to set up a display. but one day I hope to have a toy room, with a wall of Jem and a Wall of MOTU.

Well thats the dream!

This is the most recent pic of most of my dolls in their crates.

This pic was taken about 6 months before the one above.

This is part of my old Jem display, The Stormer on the left is OOAK Repaint by a very dear freind!

(I also have all the playsets and cars etc, and a full set of MIB Dolls)

Is that your collection on those photos Staff of Ka? Or do you mean of all the lines you collect your Jem collection is number 1?

Nope not those pics, But Im pretty sure thats the collection of a friend of mine,A fellow Australian collector!. My Jem Collection is my biggest most expensive collection, my true Passion. I spent SSSOOO much on some of the outfits! but it was worth every cent! I fell in love with JEM dolls in the late 80's! but being a Boy I wasnt allowed to collect em, so I waited til I was in my own home and financial enough to scour the globe for them!
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; August 30, 2010 at 07:54am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

[/CENTER]

That's why I don't collect the outfits, because I'd feel the need to buy dolls to wear each one! Ha ha! But STUNNING collection!

That's why I don't collect the outfits, because I'd feel the need to buy dolls to wear each one! Ha ha! But STUNNING collection!
    Thankyou, Im really proud of it!

I decided right at the start that the best way to collect the fashions AND display them was to get a doll for each (including variants). Because of the fabrics used it saves wear and tear if they are dressed once and left!

That was half the fun, searching ebay for perfect looking dolls,and cleaning,restoring and styling them

[/CENTER]

I'm not even sure I ever saw a Jem doll as a kid. I remember a friend's sister having the Spectra dolls and I think I mistook them for Jem for a long time! But looking at these pics, they look like so much fun!

Part of me thinks Jem would be an awesome series to remake for today's kids, but I also think they might mess it all up.

I'm not even sure I ever saw a Jem doll as a kid. I remember a friend's sister having the Spectra dolls and I think I mistook them for Jem for a long time! But looking at these pics, they look like so much fun!

Part of me thinks Jem would be an awesome series to remake for today's kids, but I also think they might mess it all up.
    Thats a big fear! Jem was quite adult at the time it was released, some of the episodes dealt with some quite mature problems!

Of course now that children are more sophisticated it wouldnt be as confronting. But in the hands of the wrong producer/brand manager it could be a disaster.

The characters were all beautifully crafted by Christy Marx, each had a real depth! it would be awful to see them dumbed down to shallow fashionistas like the Bratz series, or two dimensional cyphers like Barbie. Just like MOTU, fans of JEM (dolls and Cartoon) want to see the brand treated with the respect it deserves.

The Dolls themselves are superb Quality, hasbro truly put a lot of time into the designs and manufacture. Very poseable! they were expensive at the time Of release but I have yet to find anyone who has seen one up close who hasnt been wowed by the quality.

[/CENTER]

Pizzazz was always my favorite. Funny, hot, and you gotta love the one sock/stocking look.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-