Thread: Glimmer vs Shokoti and Masque

Glimmer vs Shokoti and Masque

Lately iīm trying to do more than just designs or redesigns.

Iīm trying to do complete pictures with characters and environments.
    The later arenīt my strongest suit but thanks to the incredible designs of the FILMATION artist iīm getting better. They designed backgrounds beyond creative but we as children never paid attention to them. At least i didīt now i do and itīs really difficult to recreate them in my own style but iīm learning and improving….

Anyway. I thought of who could be a great opponent for the Great Rebellion members who joined She-Ra to come to Eternia and with some help of the members in the POP forum we came up with some nice pairing ups and here is my first scene:

A captured Glimmer fights back with all sheīs got and if there is one thing Shokoti is not to fond of itīs light. To bad Masque is to late to save his Mistress….

I changed Glimmers outfit a bit. I like pink but sometimes there can be to much and since she didnīt even wear her cute little skirt in FILMATION i thought why not make it a catsuit instead but the rest is very much Vintage toy and i like her curly hair. So i kept it curly but stayed away from the toys afro

Masque is very FILMATION authentic i just tried to make his outfit more leathery looking.

And Shokoti is more or less like i have drawn her before.
    Her crypt is , as i mentioned before a recreation of the one we know from the FILMATION episode "The House Of Shokoti part 2" itīs ancient and worn down. It was more fun drawing all that stuff than i thought it would be.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

HMMM....cool idea! I've been interested in Glimmer since I rewatched the Secret of the Sword for the first time since childhood. I wasn't sure about how her powers would be used, but since Shokoti works on darkness, Glimmer would be a worthy opponent!

*sigh* This does remind me that we probably won't see this awesome silver version when we get her, though. Probably just the Filmation version with the blue.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    Awesome idea and great pic, Niki! And Alexx, I've been going back through both PoP and NA to try to find characters powers and overall usefulness. With Glimmer, she controls light. If you follow comics, think of her as the Invisible Woman. That helped me a lot in defining her powers. She's the Princess of Brightmoon and leader of the Rebellion(before Adora). She's definitely not a pushover as portrayed in the Filmation universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    HMMM....cool idea! I've been interested in Glimmer since I rewatched the Secret of the Sword for the first time since childhood. I wasn't sure about how her powers would be used, but since Shokoti works on darkness, Glimmer would be a worthy opponent!

*sigh* This does remind me that we probably won't see this awesome silver version when we get her, though. Probably just the Filmation version with the blue.
    Yes, i know the blue is not doing it for me either but FILMATION had their limitations when it came to gold or silver.

As far as i understood Glimmer is controlling light in every form. When you think of Secret of the Sword there she even turned to light and Catra in her cat form jumped "trough" her. She can make light "hard" when she was catching Scorpia or formed a bubble to keep herself, Battlecat, Bow, Kowl and Madame Razz safe or simple uses it as laser bolts.
    Her biggest limitation is herself, she gets exhausted pretty quick at least in FILMATION and sometimes they simply forgot what powers she had and made her very depending on She-Ra….

Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    Awesome idea and great pic, Niki! And Alexx, I've been going back through both PoP and NA to try to find characters powers and overall usefulness. With Glimmer, she controls light. If you follow comics, think of her as the Invisible Woman. That helped me a lot in defining her powers. She's the Princess of Brightmoon and leader of the Rebellion(before Adora). She's definitely not a pushover as portrayed in the Filmation universe.
    Thank you and yes, FILMATION treated Glimmer very inconsistent, giving her new ways to control her powers in one episode but totally ignoring those powers in others just as they needed her to be.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

I love the new Glimmer look with the curly hair and catsuit! Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Salamandra View Post
    I love the new Glimmer look with the curly hair and catsuit! Very cool.
    Thank you, iīm simply a vintage toy design fan but i can totally live with out the ruffled skirts. Some of the designs arenīt as girly as the may seem like her silver tights i like them and i think her top looks more like an armor than a bathing suit so iīm just trying to update her look but respect the original idea behind her

Another sweet scene Niki, I like the choices you made with Glimmer's design as well as the effects of her magic, it keeps your eye moving around the picture, which is a sure tell sign of a great piece!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    Another sweet scene Niki, I like the choices you made with Glimmer's design as well as the effects of her magic, it keeps your eye moving around the picture, which is a sure tell sign of a great piece!
    Thank you very much.

I wasnīt sure how i wanted to do her lights and than i even tried a photoshop effect but in the end i decided iīll try and draw the effect myself. It took me lots of layers but i think it was worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Very cool.
    Thank you!

Wow Niki, I love how your art evolved: great designs, great dynamic designs, great scenes, great dynamic scenes...

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Thank you, iīm simply a vintage toy design fan but i can totally live with out the ruffled skirts. Some of the designs arenīt as girly as the may seem like her silver tights i like them and i think her top looks more like an armor than a bathing suit so iīm just trying to update her look but respect the original idea behind her
    I love what you did with omitting the skirt! It's very respectful of the vintage look, but very updated.

I was also really thrilled when the New 52 Wonder Woman started wearing pants. Alas, that didn't seem to have lasted long.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    Wow Niki, I love how your art evolved: great designs, great dynamic designs, great scenes, great dynamic scenes...
    You are very generous, thank you so much! Drawing a complete picture is challenging for me and i have so much more to learn but i have forgotten what a great hobby drawing can be!

My pictures have never been that dynamic and iīm really trying to give them more of an "OMPF" iīm glad it seems to work!

Quote Originally Posted by Salamandra View Post
    I love what you did with omitting the skirt! It's very respectful of the vintage look, but very updated.

I was also really thrilled when the New 52 Wonder Woman started wearing pants. Alas, that didn't seem to have lasted long.
    Iconic factors shouldīt be ignored and sometimes itīs not whatīs best for the character itīs about what the people want and in Wonder Womans case it seems to be people want her with bare legs...

I had a problem with Captain Marvels(Carol) new short Rihana mohawk style. It looked weird and out of place for the character it seems they changed it back to her long flowing hair since it seems i wasīt the only one who didīt like that...

In Glimmers case, most of the vintage POP designs are labeled as "to girly" because the figures had rooted hair and wore skirts(with Mermista and Angela being the few exceptions). But why shouldnīt does female characters have long hair, a lot of women do so and i think itīs ok if their outfits have some sparkle to it as long as it wouldīt hinder them in a fight.
    And those designs arenīt that girls if you look closely but you need to take your time and for some thatīs no time they want to spent and i think itīs their loss
    Last edited by Niki; May 19, 2013 at 07:15am.

Snappy Threader
    I really like your Glimmer design, what a great scene.

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    I really like your Glimmer design, what a great scene.
    Thank you very much!