Thread: He-Man, "Sword to . . . "

He-Man, "Sword to . . . "

In She-ra no one ever told her that her sword could change shape to help her. It was augmented with the stone, but did the stone alone grant this ability? Or did He-man's sword possess the same properties and perhaps he just never tried? I mean, She-ra had no idea she could heal and learned about that power by accident. So, did the power sword also change shape if needed?

Just a thought, and if so. MOTUC should include this in the Bios, perhaps explaining why his NA sword is so different.
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

As a kid I liked to think that his sword turns into his axe…and I'd like an explanation of the different looking Power Sword as well.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

It is an interesting question. I'm guessing, storywise, this was done because She-Ra had no access to resources like He-Man did. It would be great, though, if the Sword of Power also had the ability to change into other shapes.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

The whole "Sword To..." in POP was stupid IMO.

I don't want it anywhere in MOTUC, for He-Man or She-Ra.

I still desparately want a She Ra Filmation "Sword to Shield" shield. However weird it would be to have her with a silver sword of protection and the shield which is obstensibly her sword, that's how I'd like to display her. My favourite She Ra quote is still "Sword to lots and LOTS of rope". So cute how that was delivered.

He Man sword to axe is a great idea. Now that's magic. But what I always felt (because I was a fan of the She Ra toon & wondered something like that with He man) was that his silver battle armour is his Sword, and that is why he is weilding the axe. that is how I always displayed my vintage Battle Armour He Man, and it is still how, along with my Battle Armour MOTUC He Man.

Mounted on Battle Cat with Axe & Sheild, like the old promo box art. Sword to Battle Armour Indeed!

I wasn't keen on the whole "sword to bread bin" thing in She-ra. Just seemed kinda silly to me honestly.

It is an interesting idea I guess.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Well, the *real* reason is pretty boring, LOL - considering it was a decision made in the 1980's I think we can pretty much assume the discussion was some variant of the following:

"I know she's not really going to use the sword to fight, but we still have to pretty it up and make it acceptable to parents of girls somehow. Not only violent, but, you know, phallic."

"I got it! We'll make it kind of curvy and ornate, kind of like it's magic jewelry, and...and...EUREKA! Stick a big rhinestone on it! Someone get design on the phone!"

To be honest, in terms of story, though, I don't think it really ever got explained other than He-man's words in SotS about how she has powers he doesn't understand (kind of the reverse Luke/Leia ROTJ discussion, yet another way that SotS and ROJ are linked).

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    The whole "Sword To..." in POP was stupid IMO.

I don't want it anywhere in MOTUC, for He-Man or She-Ra.
    TOO LATE for that man! She has already done the "Sword to..." trick in MOTUC.
    It happened in the mini-comic that came with the Unamed One in March!

"Sword to boomerang"

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I still desparately want a She Ra Filmation "Sword to Shield" shield. However weird it would be to have her with a silver sword of protection and the shield which is obstensibly her sword, that's how I'd like to display her. My favourite She Ra quote is still "Sword to lots and LOTS of rope". So cute how that was delivered.
    You know, I think that's one of the reasons She-ra was so good, and why it has aged so well. The Filmation stuff has in general - yes, there are some definite synth background beats which are a tell-tale sign, but the designs really are rather timeless. I think that's why kids today are so easily introduced by it - they don't have to ask questions like "Why is that guy's hair all poofy like a girls?" or "Did you really wear your pants half way up your chest like that?" But I really think that the voice casts, especially Melendy, as well as how good the writing eventually got (even the writers will tell you that by She-ra, they had "figured it out"), were of such quality that it made up for any feelings people may have had about reused animation, etc.

Melendy just made She-ra such an indelible character - and that was a difficult role. It could have very easily gone wrong - it is very difficult to get a female superhero right, and that's really what She-ra was. The huffy/sexy route really only works for Bat-Broads, and if you are too earnest you run the risk of coming across as preachy or cold. As women in power roles was still in it's adolescent stages in terms of modern entertainment media when She-ra was being produced, there were very few examples of this outside of the Sarah Connor/Ellen Ripley mode (women that generally acted like "men" were expected to in a film, in fact, Ripley was originally written for a male and didn't change much in terms of script once the character was changed to female). Somehow, Melendy managed to make her strong, somewhat "sassy" and funny, but still a character that could deliver some rather "deep" messages for a children's cartoon, yet none of it felt forced. I really think her only model must have been Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman, because that's the only other portrayal up until that time I can think of that even compared.

Anyway, sorry, thread drift - but gosh, I just love She-ra, LOL. And it's funny, I can't remember the last time He-man came up (people see my figures often) and someone doesn't mention She-ra right off the bat - I know some view her as second tier to He-man, but truly - in terms of how the overall franchise is remembered, they really are completely intertwined and known collectively. It's funny, though, as some folks will say "his wife" and not "his sister", LOL.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    The Sword of Power transforms too.

I always thought it changed because her's was the sword of protection. so it had the ability to provide any tool she needed to protect or be protected, which includes her healing powers and telepathy, her strength (physical strength) to me is 1/3rd of what he-man has. He-Man has the sword of power, he doesn't need it to change into anything. I know there are a lot o flaws in my explanation, but that was my explanation as a kid and it makes enough sense to me to stick with it.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I was never a huge fan of the transforming sword, but never hated it either.

I like that it is unique to She-Ra. Not having He-Man and She-Ra has simply male/female versions of the same superhero makes the story, and the characters, more interesting.

That being said, I do like the implied concept from 200X that Grayskull may adapt He-Man's power and/or armor/armaments to the various situations he finds himself in, (e.g. Snake Armor for battling the Snakemen, Ice Armor for cold climes, etc). That is different enough to allow for similar possibilities without carbon-copying She-Ra's sword transformation trick.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

If He-Man's sword could change shape it would have been a far better explanation for the 200X sword than the moronic "electronic sword" idea. And then it could have been done again for New Adventures: Grayskull just enables the power sword to change its aesthetics in the way He Man's armour sometimes does.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoar1170 View Post
    TOO LATE for that man! She has already done the "Sword to..." trick in MOTUC.
    It happened in the mini-comic that came with the Unamed One in March!
    I know that but that doesn't mean I still don't want in it in MOTC.

This "transforming sword" gimmick was the official point where POP "jumped the shark." In MOTU, He-Man would just throw the sword and it would come back to him. In POP, She-Ra had to transform it into a boomerang. It was like they were giving her "extra" powers just cause she was a woman. It was ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    The Sword of Power transforms too.
    That's even worse than the "Sword to..."

Sometimes I'm glad 200X ended.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I always thought it changed because her's was the sword of protection. so it had the ability to provide any tool she needed to protect or be protected, which includes her healing powers and telepathy, her strength (physical strength) to me is 1/3rd of what he-man has. He-Man has the sword of power, he doesn't need it to change into anything. I know there are a lot o flaws in my explanation, but that was my explanation as a kid and it makes enough sense to me to stick with it.
    Although you are right, as an adult analytically it does have some holes in it, but I think that's also what most of us thought as kids, too, LOL.

Haha, and you've made me think - it would make a great theoretical math project for someone to go through the episodes and record the incidences of "super strength" shown by both characters, and then mathematically calculate the mass, force, etc. and have a real sibling rivalry showdown, haha.

As to the transformation thing, though - I too think it's great the 200x writers incorporated it in for He-man.

I also can see why - especially if the series had gone on longer. While on She-ra it did feel a bit "gimmicky" at times, it also was pretty clever and charming for the most part. It easily could have been reinterpreted for He-man - imagine more fearsome weapons, etc.

I was slightly joking above about the design process of the sword itself (though I only say slightly, I'm sure the conversation was really pretty close to that, LOL), but it would be interesting to ask the writers about it. That's what I was talking about, actually, off-topic above, about how the writers even feel that the quality got better by She-ra, because they learned from some of the things that happened on He-man that they wanted to avoid. I think this was one of those things they came up with to make it easier (and more fun) to write She-ra.

On He-man, they had a hard time with the fight scenes (insert "He-e-e-e-e-maaaaaaan" 80's cue). Since He-man wasn't allowed to use his sword other than throwing, really - I'm sure it was very difficult to keep writing ways for him to "save the day" and beat the bad-guys other than "throw them/trip them so they fall together in a pile". And since he was nearly nekkid, he didn't have a lot of places to hold things like in a utility belt or something.

By giving She-ra the ability to transform the sword, since it's was almost always with her - they had a lot more leeway to be creative in resolving the conflict in the end of the episode. She-ra still had the bad guys ending up in a pile in the floor, she just had a lot more options than He-man did to get from A to B, LOL.
    Last edited by SpiritOfTeela; May 11, 2014 at 11:51pm.

I'm cool with the "sword to" ability that She-Ra has, but I don't personally want to carry it to He-Man's sword. I feel like they're to very different people with different origins for their powers. Granted, it's a lot of my own story ideas, but it helps me make them their own characters rather than She-Ra only existing to be the other half of the Twins of Power prophecy.

So yeah, for my own purposes, She-Ra's sword has He-Ro's magic stone embedded in it, which provides the "sword to" abilities and some other spell casting powers. It can call upon the Power of Grayskull, but that's not it's entire purpose.

The Power Sword is a conduit to the Power of Grayskull and the key to the Castle (in it's complete form, for the latter). However, the sword has it's own power and consciousness as well. The sword becomes attuned to whoever is using it, so Skeletor's half always has a little of him in it, just as He-Man's half is his. When they finally unite, He-Man takes the Power of Grayskull within himself, and the sword transforms to pure energy that he can manipulate, though it takes him most of the NA series to understand and control it (with the help of Sir Laser-Lot, of whom I'm sending to the NA storyline). So that's how his sword can "transform", for me.

On a side note, also for my own story: Skeletor eventually finds that he still retains some of the energy of the Power Sword within him, as He-Man and Skeletor as destined to be connected and battle each other until the end (which is why I kinda want a repaint of the NA Power Sword in clear purple or something).
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Honestly, I see no flaws there! It makes sense that the Sword of POWER and the Sword of PROTECTION would have different powers, reflective of their titles. I quite like your theory!

As for it changing in NA...I've been assuming that when the Starship Eternia downloaded the power of Grayskull (destroying the castle), the Power used the information in the ship's systems to give the twins and their swords "makeovers". Looks appropriate for the Tri-Solar System.

We know it could change them both from Adam and Adora to our heroes. We know it could change their steeds. I'm sure it could change the swords as well.
    Come on Matty! Show me DRAGSTOR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MC Modulok View Post
    If He-Man's sword could change shape it would have been a far better explanation for the 200X sword than the moronic "electronic sword" idea. And then it could have been done again for New Adventures: Grayskull just enables the power sword to change its aesthetics in the way He Man's armour sometimes does.
    I'm going to assume She-ra's sword would also change her costume if needed. I drew and Ice Armor She-ra and loved my concept!

Side bar: Actual conversation instead of heated debates is a nice change of pace. Let's keep it up!
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post

He Man sword to axe is a great idea. Now that's magic. But what I always felt (because I was a fan of the She Ra toon & wondered something like that with He man) was that his silver battle armour is his Sword, and that is why he is weilding the axe. that is how I always displayed my vintage Battle Armour He Man, and it is still how, along with my Battle Armour MOTUC He Man.

Mounted on Battle Cat with Axe & Sheild, like the old promo box art. Sword to Battle Armour Indeed!
    That is a really cool idea! I'd never thought of that before!

I'm ok with the electronic power sword made as sword of a device to track down the other power sword, but then it's kind of odd that that would be the sword King He-Man would wield.

I've always liked She-Ra's sword transforming. Remember the idea from the MVC stuff that She-Ra's sword utilized the gem in He-Ro's staff? That seems like a great explanation for giving the sword more magical abilities.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"