Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 120 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 120 Discussion!

Episode 120 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Nate Baertsch are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they discuss
    2013 recap,
    Castle Grayskull,
    MOTUC customizera,
    MOTUC compatible items,
    MOTU and POP podcasts,
    keeping the fandom alive,
    MOTUC 2014 and beyond,
    and much more!

***Apologies for audio problems in this episode.

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on December 27, 2013
    Runtime: 1 hour, 08 minutes, 46 seconds

Direct link for Episode 120

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, someone pinch me or punch me. I have missed ya'll.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Heroic Warrior
    Glad the show is back! My thoughts on a couple of the hopes for 2014 and beyond:

Personally I have little interest in the movie rights as the only figures I'd want are Karg and Skeletor's Shock Troopers, I have no interest in variants of Skeletor, He-Man, Teela, MAA, etc., or any of the earth characters. There are other main character variants I'd rather have and we may not get even those?

And as far as continuing the vintage line I have zero interest in this also, I'm not a fan of going backwards as far as technology and detail to less developed toys. I know the costs are rising but I also will not be collecting the less articulated more kid oriented lines (unless they are severely discounted, which means they are probably discontinued anyways). I know there are a few small companies producing figures with zero to 5 points of articulation and some people must be enjoying them? I'm just not interested, so at retail many lines are dropping in size, articulation, and sculpting. Just makes it less for me to collect. Probably why I've found a new interest in Sideshow and Hot Toys. When I was a kid I loved the vintage figures, but when I look at them compared to modern figures they pale in comparison, and only really interest me if/when MOC.

Huh, what a surprise!!!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

OMG!! I assumed you guys had stoped doing RGD, and with Val stepping away from some of the site duties I kinds figured this was "gone for good"

glad to see I was wrong!!
    One with the Power

My feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=197226

Help save the Stargate series vist http://www.facebook.com/SaveSGU

Actually it was an interesting episode to listen to, especially the part where you guys discussed bringing the vintage line back to production and such! But still, my favorite segment was the Snake-Mountain discussion... Yup it needs to happen to end this line with a bang of some sort.

Also don't forget some of the key vehicles, like the full Battle-Ram, Roton, Point-Dread/Talon Fighter, Attak Trak and Spidor.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    It's great hearing from the RGD crew again!

I agree with Danielle...make alternate universes or something with different takes on the characters, but don't ever relegate He-Man to second stringer with some next generational cast.

I'm also not down with continuing the Vintage line all over again.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I would be all over a continuation of the vintage line, even though it would mean having to re collect the old figures as I don't have them anymore.

Awesome a new episode! Can't wait to listen!
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I second Dan's "WOO 82!"

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

You young whippersnappers! *shakes fist*

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I wouldn't want a rehash of the original line, but additional figures, folks like He-Ro or Filmation characters who never made it into the line would be great. The recent Realm of the Underground figures seem to be doing well enough (we got a second series) as an extension of sorts of the old Remco lines, And I wouldn't mind adding some never before done in original style figures to my Masters collection.

So, re-do, no; continuation, yes.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

very happy to hear another episode.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    You young whippersnappers! *shakes fist*

You too Val. Some of us have BEEN in our forties awhile.
    I would love to see a continuation of the original line, and maybe a line of hot wheels sized MOTU vehicles. If we cant get the vehicles in full scale, why not a line of 1/67 diecast? That could be fairly cost effective and bring in some Hot Wheel collectors. Battle-ram, Wind Raider, Talon Fighter, Basher, ...or Collector anyone?
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

I've always been interested in seeing the story continue. Would love nothing more than to see a He-Ro, Son of He-Man line hit retail.

Some things I'd love to see:

~ A vintage feel to all the figures with modern articulation (similar to what Classics has going on but slightly smaller in size)

~ Action features (of course!)

~ He-Man still involved (plays a similar role as his father, King Randor, did in the vintage line but is more hands on in defeating the evil warriors)

~ Queen/Sorceress Teela

~ A new version of the power sword

~ Entirely new characters with punny names

~ Mini-Comics!

~ Possible title, He-Ro and the Masters of the Universe!
    Last edited by Anti Hero; January 6, 2014 at 01:15pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I think the idea for a Son of He-Man idea is TERRIBLE. I agree with first lady of MOTU... you *never* relegate your top character to a background player. The only time you think of something like that is if you have a main line that is successful enough for a spinoff. But you don't lead with it, that's for sure. It would be like Sony rebooting the Raimi Spider-Man franchise with the Scarlet Spider or Spider-Man 2099. It would have died horribly (I actually hate the new Spider-Man, but it made buckets of cash).

Batman Beyond was an offshoot of the Batman Animated Series, probably the most successful and critically acclaimed animated adaptation of probably the most successful comic character of all time... and it barely squeaked by!

Now a better example might be something like Beast Wars. It took the largely uneven continuities of the 1980s comics and TV and wove it all together in a really interesting way to create something completely new. This should be the approach for a relaunch, omoho. But "Optimus Prime" (well Primal) was still the main character... technically he *was* a descendant of the original, but you don't find that out until the series is almost over. He was already the leader of the Autobots... no coming of age or origin stuff. You'll notice that in every successful TF incarnation, Optimus Prime is always there as the leader (often with the same voice even in alternate timelines).

IMO you either take he-man and ditch the Filmation elements (No Prince Adam for instance) and go full medieval/Barbarian, OR you embrace the 80s camp all the way and do something really silly and out there. Whatever you do it has to be bold and stand out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for post classics toys, we've already had the commemorative line. You could try re-issuing the 6-8 figures and see what the response is, but continue the Vintage line with Eldor and He-Ro? Really? People complain about how tough it is to "catch up" with Classics and a bunch of evergreen figures. Who is going to start collecting with He-Ro or Eldor? This is just a bad idea.

IMO after classics you do a "Deluxe" line in the same scale to re-release the heavy hitters and once that fizzles out (and it will pretty quick once you get past the real top hitters) you go really different, probably in the 3.75 scale for cost reasons.\

I love RGD, and all your enthusiasm but man the nostalgia-vision was in overdrive this week...

Great feedback on the idea of continued Vintage styled figures.
    It's a fun idea, we were all jazzed about it during the recording, and I still think of the idea of it and how fun it could be.
    Son of He-Man… Re-listening to the conversation… I see Val's point, I see Danielle's point too and try to sit in the middle of it as best as I can… I still want to see it, but as a spinoff. We didn't talk much to that idea. But just like She-Ra was a spinoff of He-Man, both existed in the same universe, I can see this working with He-Ro son of He-Man. It worked with She-Ra, she became her own identity, her own line, her own stories, and He-Man would show up once in a while reminding us all that the two worlds do exist together.

The difference here is, yes, sorry Danielle, it would mean an "older He-Man" now, but like Val said, what's to stop the incarnation of new He-Man stories too in another venue/style/media/thing? The older fans can choose to stick to what they know, or step into a new story as they like?

I don't want to really hash it over again here, but having it fresh on the mind from listening again… I think it could be really fun.

I would also add, which I didn't think of at the time… I think there will be a day again, to get new redesigns of the whole crew all over again ala 200X. Be it high quality stuff like Sideshow or Hot Toys? Or let the 4H take yet another crack at this amazing franchise… We all know and trust them and knowing their creative powers, we know they'd blow us away all over again. Or let a new movie finally happen with it's new slew of designs on the characters we all know and love. I'm not closed to the idea that other redesigns could be successful when they're done the right way. MotU is the eternal land of imagination after all.

Original line has it's fans.
    Filmation could be viewed as a redesign of sorts, it has it's fans.
    NA has it's fans.
    200X has it's fans.
    Classics, I feel is still it's own design as it's an amalgam of sorts from all previous incarnations.
    DC Comics is definitely it's own thing and it too has it's fans…

I still ask myself since that podcast recording, what will hook me in all over again? Get me wondering about how Clawful will be treated or what BattleCat will look like and act like… What form will Grayskull take next? That is still exciting to me. But I do have to ask myself… What am I willing to collect all over again? Do I want to collect all over again? I don't know the answer there… I think I do lean to the idea that Classics has become the be all end all to massive collecting for me, beyond classics? I could see getting simply nicely done, high quality figures perhaps… I only have so much space!

Yet, I know myself… Give me a year or two without MotU, and I'll be so hungry for anything, I'd probably jump all in all over again.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I second Dan's "WOO 82!"
    Thirded

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this posted this morning. Great to hear the Gooble again Are you still planning on posting episodes 112, 113, 116 and 117 at some point? I hope you do especially if Eric or Scott are on those episodes.
    Shame Eamon can't make the new time slot but totally understandable, I used to wonder how he managed to make the old time slot, I'd never manage to get up at 7am on a Sunday morning every week

Good episode but don't you normally got through every release of the year in your Year in Review episodes?
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

A fun listen and got me thinking about "what's next."
    I have to say, I'm still very much into Classics, and am beginning to accept the new DC comics version of things for what it is: entertainment featuring He-Man and crew.
    But I have about 20 more Classics figures I want to see made, so I think I'd be fine with Classics continuing 'til 2016 or whatever. After that, I'm thinking I'm done. I will always buy a He-Man comic, watch a cartoon, or see a movie. But as far as merchandising and action figures go, I have no more desire in me (nor the finances!) to do it all over again once Classics wraps up and something new is launched... especially something launched at retail! Despite the bumps and bruises, Classics has taught me that I do not enjoy the chase and that I'd rather sit back and let the figures fall at my door once a month. No hopping from store to store a la 2002!
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

Great to have you guys back all up in my ears!
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

Rebel Engerizer Bunny Princess Adora NJ's Avatar
    I missed my RGD! And Val, the power con podcast will never make the air waves. People needed to be there to understand what was going on. It was too much fun and not PG for part of the time. But with all of you with the retro line. It is the hot thing with toys. My niece and I play with the retro and vintage TMNTs and have so much fun, and I think it would workfor MOTU.
    For a peace and love in our universe- MotU and POP together !
    I have the power, and so can you!

Follow me on the Council of the First Ones Podcast.

Support The Great Rebellion Collector's Club

Princess Adora NJ

Really missed Eamon.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Really missed Eamon.
    What happened to him? I'm confused as to what happened . . .
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    What happened to him? I'm confused as to what happened . . .
    They had to start recording in the evening, which made it too late for Eamon across the pond.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    That's not what Val was stating at the beginning of the recording . . .
    That's the way I heard it?