Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What do you enjoy that's home-made and made from scratch?

  1. #1
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,465

    What do you enjoy that's home-made and made from scratch?

    Increasingly, I think many people are making more foodstuffs from scratch at home. It's a great way to ensure there aren't any preservatives or chemicals whose names you can't pronounce. Moreover, it allows oversight on things like sodium and sugar content.

    Kim makes all of our bread, pizza dough, hotdog and hamburger buns from scratch. She also makes all of our pasta from scratch. I do all our veg and fruit juicing with organic vegetables and fruits. But my favorite is when she makes bagels. Kim makes it 'everything' bagels with diced onions, garlic powder and poppy and sesame seed on top. Yeah, I get there are a lot of carbs in there -- although as with all bread products she makes, she uses only 100% whole grain stone ground King Arthur wheat flour -- but her bagels are soooooo yummy. Just polished off a couple this morning as it's one of our family's much loved post-Easter Mass traditions. Top it with cream cheese, marinated red onions, cucumbers, tomato and wild caught smoked salmon and I'm in heaven.

    We also do home made jams and salsa with organic ingredients.

    How about you guys? What are your favorite made-from-scratches, why and who makes 'em? And yes, I admit this is a little self-serving 'cause I'm always looking for home made ideas.


    Edit:

    Thirty-two views and no posts? What, the Oleskers are the only family that makes healthy and delicious foods from scratch? C'mon!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; April 16, 2017 at 05:13pm.

  2. #2
    Broncos lovin' admin! dorrmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    13,538
    My wife made Au Gratin Potatoes from scratch for our Easter dinner, and they were to die for!

  3. #3
    Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    2,889
    My wife makes various muffins (cinnamon, apple, beet, etc...) and pizzas (including grilled pizzas) from scratch.

  4. #4
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,465
    Mmmmmm... Yum!

    Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    My wife made Au Gratin Potatoes from scratch for our Easter dinner, and they were to die for!
    - - - Updated - - -

    Mmmmmmmmm... DOUBLE yum!

    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    My wife makes various muffins (cinnamon, apple, beet, etc...) and pizzas (including grilled pizzas) from scratch.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,174
    About 4 years ago now I got in to making scratch made buttermilk biscuits. I never really like the store bought tubed biscuits, no flavor. The recipe I use has only six ingredients and I even make my own buttermilk (easy)!

    About the same time I began making my own biscuits I also got in to making homemade flour tortillas and that recipe only calls for four ingredients. They don't come out perfectly round when I roll them out but damn they are tasty...

    We use all organic ingredients in our house and my 8 year old daughter love to help make and eat these recipes

  6. #6
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,465
    Sounds delicious and almost as important when one has a family of five, fast. Could you please post your recipe, with baking instructions? Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by racer x View Post
    About 4 years ago now I got in to making scratch made buttermilk biscuits. I never really like the store bought tubed biscuits, no flavor. The recipe I use has only six ingredients and I even make my own buttermilk (easy)!

    About the same time I began making my own biscuits I also got in to making homemade flour tortillas and that recipe only calls for four ingredients. They don't come out perfectly round when I roll them out but damn they are tasty...

    We use all organic ingredients in our house and my 8 year old daughter love to help make and eat these recipes

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    1,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Sounds delicious and almost as important when one has a family of five, fast. Could you please post your recipe, with baking instructions? Thanks.

    Here are the recipes I followed

    Biscuits: http://www.food.com/recipe/southern-...biscuits-26110

    Tortillas: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-tortillas

  8. #8
    Not my Tempo Fendi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,393
    I only made Kaya (Coconut jam with Pandan leaf) and Pizza. Having Kaya on the refrigerator is good enough for a healthy breakfast.

    For more recipe? call my mom if you want to make some home made Malaysia cuisine
    Last edited by Fendi; April 21, 2017 at 07:34am.

    NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •