Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2017-2018 College Football Thread

Master of New Adventures!

The Official 2017-2018 College Football Thread

Less than two months until the start of the 2017-2018 College Football Season -- a/k/a Nebraska's first game.

Zero Nebraska predictions from me this year. I've finally learned...

What I find absolutely stunning is that top-ranked Alabama -- Roll Tide! -- plays the #4-ranked Seminoles in the two teams' first game on September 2nd. Traditionally these kinds of top tier match-ups are later in the season; at least October. Talk about kicking off ("kicking off". Get it? Get it?) the season with a bang! Someone's going to at least drop out of the top 5; maybe out of the top 10.

Looking forward to another great year of College Football.

GOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIIIIG RED!!!

UPDATE:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-...130734135.html

Not just Notre Dame, but the world, has lost a giant, a leader and a role model. 94 is a great run, but the world is a little less amazing a place without Ara to look up to. RIP, coach.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; August 2, 2017 at 02:45pm.

Seems like nobody here is interested in college football including myself.
    Sorry for that!
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

So sad.

But then it always starts out like this and then things pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    Sorry for that!

I'll probably go to the Nebraska-Iowa game as well as one or two Iowa State games. I felt more optimistic about Nebraska early in the year. Some injuries and players leaving the team make me think 8 wins, maybe 9.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    Sorry for that!
    I have zero interest in sports, especially football. But I do like watching a lot of the Olympics.

There. My "fish out of water" experience of posting in a sports thread.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Why bother posting only about 3-4 people show up and post the same thing every year..
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Thousands of views the last two years. The season needs to start and get dramatic before it picks up.

That said, I absolutely respect everyone's right to express their opinion, including those who don't care about sports. I think it's interesting to hear their take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Why bother posting only about 3-4 people show up and post the same thing every year..

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Thousands of views the last two years. The season needs to start and get dramatic before it picks up.

That said, I absolutely respect everyone's right to express their opinion, including those who don't care about sports. I think it's interesting to hear their take on it.
    I might not mind it if sports were exercised in moderation, but some people/areas/regions just take it to such an extreme that it really turns me off. On top of that, there's a lot of avoidable needless violence/injuries, and I think a lot of the money could be spent so much more productively in society/the world.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Understood on the violence aspect. I do think sports in general are trying to take measures to curtain injuries, but competitive sports are aggressive by nature.

Regarding your point about "some regions", the reality is that sports are just about the only thing some regions have. Nebraska, for instance has four things: football, beef, insurance and drop-dead gorgeous Irish redheads. I consider myself to be fortunate to fully enjoy all four.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    I might not mind it if sports were exercised in moderation, but some people/areas/regions just take it to such an extreme that it really turns me off. On top of that, there's a lot of avoidable needless violence/injuries, and I think a lot of the money could be spent so much more productively in society/the world.

College football is a big deal in my neck of the woods and I'll more than likely be at some sort of party for every Bama game. I enjoy the game enough to watch and enjoy the parties but really don't get in to it much beyond that.

I would add: my brother/current roommate is a huge sports fan. I purposely made him buy a Roku for his room because I got sick of seeing 10 hours of college football on Saturday followed immediately by 10 hours of NFL football on Sunday.

Understood on the violence aspect. I do think sports in general are trying to take measures to curtain injuries, but competitive sports are aggressive by nature.
    See in my perfect world, we wouldn't have such competitive sports, lol. Certainly not ones you have to have helmets for, that can't even prevent some things.

Regarding your point about "some regions", the reality is that sports are just about the only thing some regions have. Nebraska, for instance has four things: football, beef, insurance and drop-dead gorgeous Irish redheads. I consider myself to be fortunate to fully enjoy all four.
    Oh, please. Nebraska has to have more---corn, wheat, lol... ;-) Where are the arts? Where is culture? Where is the philanthropy?

Again, my perfect world, lol.

And Dice, my sympathies to you! lol I was recently reading of one woman's husband from Alabama who is an obsessive sports fan. When they first met, he asked her warily, "What do you on Saturdays in the fall?", because football was #1 on his list and that's what his Saturdays were devoted to. It could have been a deal-breaker had she been anti-football. And apparently no one in that region will wear orange during the fall because it's a color of their long-standing rival---really?? Orange is one of the most vivid, beautiful colors of the fall season, and pumpkins and jack-o'-lanterns are orange. Yet they refuse to allow that color just because it's another team's color. I just think that kind of thinking and action is so extreme. Lighten up, enjoy all the colors around you! lol

I was, of course, joking about Nebraska. Aside from the corn and wheat you mention they also have one of the premier zoos in the world, wonderful cultural opportunities and incredible nightlife in Omaha. For the most part Nebraskans have a strong work ethic and a great moral compass. Imo it's one of the best states around.

and a
    See in my perfect world, we wouldn't have such competitive sports, lol. Certainly not ones you have to have helmets for, that can't even prevent some things.

Oh, please. Nebraska has to have more---corn, wheat, lol... ;-) Where are the arts? Where is culture? Where is the philanthropy?

Again, my perfect world, lol.

And Dice, my sympathies to you! lol I was recently reading of one woman's husband from Alabama who is an obsessive sports fan. When they first met, he asked her warily, "What do you on Saturdays in the fall?", because football was #1 on his list and that's what his Saturdays were devoted to. It could have been a deal-breaker had she been anti-football. And apparently no one in that region will wear orange during the fall because it's a color of their long-standing rival---really?? Orange is one of the most vivid, beautiful colors of the fall season, and pumpkins and jack-o'-lanterns are orange. Yet they refuse to allow that color just because it's another team's color. I just think that kind of thinking and action is so extreme. Lighten up, enjoy all the colors around you! lol

I appreciate it. The rivalry is actually in good fun most of the time. It results in lots of little events and parties and good natured ribbing (most of the time). You do have the obsessive fans who literally LIVE for college football season and their favorite team. They wear their teams clothing and apparel year round and that's all they talk about year round. Those are the only ones that every really get annoying and then then it's only some of them.

As far as the orange, you see a ton of it. For every Bama fan wearing crimson and white, there's an Auburn fan wearing the orange and blue.

"ROLL TIDE!" I'm calling them to be #1 wire-to-wire this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    college football is a big deal in my neck of the woods and i'll more than likely be at some sort of party for every bama game. I enjoy the game enough to watch and enjoy the parties but really don't get in to it much beyond that.

I would add: My brother/current roommate is a huge sports fan. I purposely made him buy a roku for his room because i got sick of seeing 10 hours of college football on saturday followed immediately by 10 hours of nfl football on sunday.

"ROLL TIDE!"
    Well, at least I finally know what that means.

For a fun cross-reference, watch the brilliant submarine adventure film Crimson Tide with Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington.

Well, at least I finally know what that means.

For a fun cross-reference, watch the brilliant submarine adventure film Crimson Tide with Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington.
    Eek, I just looked it up---thanks, but this is the antithesis of my kind of film, lol. :-)

Trust me, you'll thank me.

It has two of America's greatest living actors and a plot that will literally keep you on the edge of your seat.

Eek, I just looked it up---thanks, but this is the antithesis of my kind of film, lol. :-)

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar

I do love sports and I have a team but I've seen over time it comes down to 2-3 people and only 2-3 teams....

Trust me, you'll thank me.

It has two of America's greatest living actors and a plot that will literally keep you on the edge of your seat.
    Maybe, but not in the good way...I'll just take your word for it, lol.

This thread seems to have gone off course....

I thought Saban's press conference really went south the other day.

Nebraska looks awful so far this year. Tanner Lee is an immobile version of Tommy Armstrong so far which is not good. The OL is not very good and Lee chucks it up into coverage at the first sign of pressure. I'm not sure why Pierson-El forgot how to field punts after being one of the best in the nation as a freshman. I'd rather the Huskers finish something like 3-9 than say 6-6 so it forces the AD and Riley out. I would have rather have gone through growing pains of a first time head coach like Nebraska's own Scott Frost at the time instead of a coach in his 60s with a career .500 record.

LSU Alum checking in. Tigers got curb stomped by a 3rd tier SEC school last week so I'm not overly confident in my schools hopes for a NC this year. It's great to see a college football thread on here. I post on a college football web forum and it's quite the polar opposite from this forum. Took me a little while to adjust to all the rules of this forum. Much more PG than what I'm used to.

But yeah, I'm glad I have toy collecting/customizing, cosplay, and other nerdy interests to fall back on when my teams aren't ****. Saints look to be terrible this year as well. I usually go to all the LSU home games. I missed the first one in a while to attend PowerCon. My friends were like "you're skipping the LSU game to go play dress up?" I was like you're damn right.

Like others have said, some people take it way too seriously. I mainly enjoy the tailgating and partying more than anything. When I start to get emotional and upset over a loss I just remind myself that it's just kids playing a game.

Anyway... Cheers to being a he-man fan and a college football fan! Good luck to the Corn Huskers this season. As for the Tide, they can Geaux to Hell.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdude

Imo, Tanner Lee doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Tommy Armstrong except when it is a sentence of derision as this one is.

Tommy was a true dual threat QB. He had an amazing arm and was always capable of breaking out for long runs. When you're a dual threat QB the opposing team's defense is never sure of what they'll get on any given snap. Hence, they have to guess, even with three wide receivers out. It forces them to compromise somewhere and that creates opportunity.

Tanner Lee cannot run, except to the sidelines after throwing yet another pathetic interception.

Look, I'm a true blue Nebraska fan. Like the fight song says "We'll all stick together, in all kinds of weather." In the 90s Kim and I personally attended three Nebraska Bowl games that resulted in National Championships and we've endured the almost unendurable since then. And we'll continue to do so because we're not fair weather fans.

But, again imo, this guy has no business being Nebraska's QB. I'd give two fingers on my right hand to be proven wrong. Of course I'm left handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Nebraska looks awful so far this year. Tanner Lee is an immobile version of Tommy Armstrong so far which is not good. The OL is not very good and Lee chucks it up into coverage at the first sign of pressure. I'm not sure why Pierson-El forgot how to field punts after being one of the best in the nation as a freshman. I'd rather the Huskers finish something like 3-9 than say 6-6 so it forces the AD and Riley out. I would have rather have gone through growing pains of a first time head coach like Nebraska's own Scott Frost at the time instead of a coach in his 60s with a career .500 record.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 20, 2017 at 03:11pm.

Well, the Nebraska AD was canned. I'm guessing Trev Alberts will get an interview for the AD spot, but I'm not sure if he'll get it. I would like to see Scott Frost as the next head coach. My guess is they will interview him, Les Miles, and a few others (assuming Riley doesn't make it past this season).