Thread: Rest in Peace Sean Speliades

Heroic Warrior

Rest in Peace Sean Speliades

I am on here, and apologize if it's off-topic slightly, but a friend of mine passed away today. His name was Sean Speliades. It was sudden and unexpected, and his girlfriend did everything she could until the ambulance came. It was his first and only seizure. He was 28. His aunt passed the same way, we found out later.

We became friends through a mutual friend at Toys R Us, and we'd watch Thundercats together. But our friendship picked up when I showed him my He-Man collection. He loved the 2002 series, but even more how the Four Horsemen were like magic in sculpting (he studied art and recently got into sculpting) the Classics. I know how we sound off here, but he thought they were high-quality toys...the deluded man lol. I gave him Trap Jaw and he was hooked. One Black Friday Matty sale later, I got him the entire a-list stable and his girlfriend and I wrapped it shaped as a Christmas tree. It was as tall as Sean, and he freaked out. It was a fantastic time. He was even motivated to get all the old comics.

He got any character from the 200X series...until I got him Optikk. He was first introduced to He-Man through New Adventures. So THEN he wanted any Classics figure that was in either 200x or NA. His favorites were the mutants, until I got him Galactic Protector He-Man. He even sang the theme song as he opened him up. It was the funniest thing I thought I'd never see.

He sculpted Kowl for me when he was working on other projects, and helped me work out my designs for my create-a-character (which I really feel like sharing, rules be damned, she was a fantastic design). He worked very hard to build a modest life with his girlfriend. They met at a Barnes and Noble, both wearing a Pokewalker. They both loved Pokemon, and soon, they did everything together. She is so kind and beautiful, and I couldn't figure out who was luckier.

This year, the Four Horsemen invited Sean, my brother and I to spent the day with them at the studio. They were very inviting, accommodating, and genuinely interested in my friend. Sean was both in utter admiration and childlike amazement to be among personal heroes of his, in Santa's workshop no less. They even gave him a one-of-a-kind item that he cherished so fondly. You couldn't wipe the smile off his face! A very big thank you to Eric, Eric, Jim, Shane, Owen, Sherry, and Djordje for all of their innate kindness and consideration. It was like a second Christmas before I left for Brazil for family. Gabby, his girlfriend, is letting me keep the present, so big thanks to her, too.

We were having the best new year. Last weekend, It was a feel-good time: Light drinking, house guests, Cards Against Humanity, and just saying how happy we all were just having a great time among great company. I am so thankful we stopped to recognize that, especially after what came a week later. It was like a strange, unconscious good bye. Tonight we all came over, hugged, cried, but the same fun energy was there. It felt like he was just in the next room. Sean and Gabby were going back to college in the fall, and I know he had plans to propose to her.

Today, it was random. It was chaos. It was quick and completely out of left field. He was a nice man, with a "perfect" fan girl, and a love of geocaching, Transformers, Pokemon, and He-Man (animation in general).

Still complain about Two Bad's lack of paint (one was going to Sean tomorrow) lol. But also...Just hug loved ones and tell them you love them today. Love them for exactly who they are. We found it fascinating his favorite factions are among the least desired here. He LOVED Lord Dactus and Slush Head...and he loved them as they are. He really couldn't wait for Flogg and Battle Lion. I may sell his collection for her. We haven't decided.

I went over today to tell him about Power Con coming to NYC. We all may go still (his friends and I). One friend begged me to let him have Prince Adam, because he wanted one of Sean's toys.

This is normally where one would say that they are just toys, and look at life's big picture. For me right now, Sean reminds me that these toys (and the care given to them) are meaningful to us. It's nostalgia for sure, and we want them to be the best they can be. These toys gave us happy memories, and forged friendships. I can't overlook that. These, for better or worse, were ice breakers for us, and gave us an outlet to imagine, create and escape. It was very special to know someone who appreciates that, too.

Thank you to the Horsemen for their kindness.

Thank you to the orgers for the laughs (and laughter through the tears during blasticgate, reverse body parts, Frosta, paint loss, DR, etc.)

Thank you to those who build this community that house this Motley Crew!

Thank you to Mattel for this roller coaster ride of collecting.

Thank you Sean for the laughs, the personal chats, the fears, the hopes and dreams, the creativity, and for Totemaiden.

As they say here...Good Journey.

Thank you for your time....

A moving post. I am sorry for your loss, but also, glad for you to have had such a wonderful friend.

As for your friends belongings, MOTUC figures in particular...don't be too hasty to see them sold. I fear you and your friend's girlfriend would have a hard time going through with it. Give it time before anything is decided.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm so very sorry for your loss. He sounded like a good friend and wonderful person.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Good Journey Sean.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

This is heartbreaking. My heart goes out to you, your friends, and Sean's family. Thank you for sharing this with us and making his memory part of our experience and community. I am so sorry for your loss.

Very sorry the lose of your friend. My heart goes out to you Jun-Yor and to Sean's family and friends.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

Very sorry to hear about your loss. A really touching read.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

My deepest sympathies for your loss. Good journey Sean.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I am very sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace and you always remember the good times.
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    My condolences, Jun-Yor.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

A lovely post. Condolences x
    THE KEY! GET THE KEY!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I´m really touched and i almost couldn´t finished your post as my eyes filled with tears.

I´m glad you brought so much joy to your friend with introducing him to MOTU!

My heart goes out to you and his loved ones!
    *Peekablue *Mermista *Toy version Catra(red Prototype) *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Lizard-Man *Zilora *Granita *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Tung Lashor

Oh no. I'm sorry, Jr. And my condolences to his friends, family and loved ones.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing Sean 's story with us here.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

Sending warm thoughts, Jun-Yor.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    That's horrible to hear, especially for someone so young. My condolences.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

My condolences. Thank you for sharing Sean's story.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

A nice tribute. Sorry for your loss.

Heroic Warrior
    On the one hand, he was really someone everyone should have met or had in their life. On the other hand, we were blessed to have him all to ourselves

HD figures on youtube
    Way too young, sorry for your loss

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Gone too soon. My condolences
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    You have my condolences mate.
    Also,thanks for sharing this quite intimate & painful path in your life with us.
    Those toys seem to gain a little more strength for you today and,
    that's probably what will make the end of this trip more enjoyable to you.
    May your Friend rest in peace & watch over the ones he had no choice to leave.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I am deeply sorry to hear of your loss. My sympathies to you, Augie, and Sean's family and friends.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior
    I'm so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful tribute you've written to him.

If I may make a suggestion about selling the toys... If you find you do need to sell his collection, I would keep his figures and then sell the duplicates from your own collection. Some may say, "What difference does it make which He-Man figure gets sold? They're identical." But for me personally, there would be something comforting about looking at my collection and knowing there were figures that we had collected together. It would be one of many mementos that help keep his memory close to you.

A beautiful and heartfel post, my condolences to you and his entire family. I hope to hug you all at Power Con. My sympathies...