Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Box One

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    If anything, I would expect pirating/hacking to significantly increase as a result of this. I'm not trying to defend such actions, but when people simply want to buy a damn game and simply play it with no pointless restrictions, headaches, and don't want to worry abot losing access once the system is no longer supported, I can see why people might go that way who would otherwise buy the legit product.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I will buying an Xbox One this year. I already have the money saved for it. (I think it'll be around $499). I want to play the next two Halo games and my wife and I play a lot of Kinect. We use Nike trainer, Dance Central 3, and Zumba fitness as regular parts of our workout (especially in the hot phoenix summer).

I don't mind not being able to play used games. Maybe developers will get more money out of this. The gaming community has a lot of pirates and freeloaders and I don't mind the game industry fighting back. Gaming is an expensive hobby so complaining you don't have enough money to get all the titles you want new is like saying you can't afford all the nice restaurants that are out there. If you can't afford the hobby, that's not the hobby's fault.

Master of New Adventures!
    http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/mi...ole-6C10009350

Please...please no one tell my Alex about this.

I just can't take it anymore...

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    I will buying an Xbox One this year. I already have the money saved for it. (I think it'll be around $499). I want to play the next two Halo games and my wife and I play a lot of Kinect. We use Nike trainer, Dance Central 3, and Zumba fitness as regular parts of our workout (especially in the hot phoenix summer).

I don't mind not being able to play used games. Maybe developers will get more money out of this. The gaming community has a lot of pirates and freeloaders and I don't mind the game industry fighting back. Gaming is an expensive hobby so complaining you don't have enough money to get all the titles you want new is like saying you can't afford all the nice restaurants that are out there. If you can't afford the hobby, that's not the hobby's fault.
    But by that argument, if I buy a loose toy from someone on the forums instead of buying it new at retail I'm hurting the toy company. Even buying and playing games for old outdated consoles hurts companies if I play an old NES cartridge instead of buying it on Virtual Console. There is a concept called "consumer's rights" that seems to be slowly vanishing because companies are getting greedy.

If buying a used toy or book or game means less money for the company, that really isn't my concern. If buying an old product mean snot buying the current, then that's too bad. Would you be okay with it if car companies wanted to ban used car sales and only allow people to buy new?

GEEZE I'm behind! Didn't even know this was announced. Didn't know the PS4 had been announced either! Heck I'm still finding out about old SNES games I didn't realize were awesome and I've still got a stack of PS2 games I never played (not to mention the PS3 ones, though I've barely scratched the surface). I can't keep up with this junk!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Good thing I have a new gaming PC. Screw the new Xbox and Live. DRM crap, and of course, you have to pay a subscription fee for Live as well to play your games online.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    So much for the 720 name everyone was touting. Looks like the cable box I have at home so it will fit in with the setup if I got one which I won't. Not liking any of these new gen consoles at all.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    But by that argument, if I buy a loose toy from someone on the forums instead of buying it new at retail I'm hurting the toy company. Even buying and playing games for old outdated consoles hurts companies if I play an old NES cartridge instead of buying it on Virtual Console. There is a concept called "consumer's rights" that seems to be slowly vanishing because companies are getting greedy.

If buying a used toy or book or game means less money for the company, that really isn't my concern. If buying an old product mean snot buying the current, then that's too bad. Would you be okay with it if car companies wanted to ban used car sales and only allow people to buy new?
    I totally agree!

I can afford the hobby just fine. I would estimate that about 97 - 99% of my games are purchased new... not always at full price right when they come out, but they are new copies when purchased. And I don't typically trade anything in, I keep my stuff long term.

But the used games issue bothers me because I will at times go back and buy a game for an older system that I never got around to playing, or replace and old system that stops working or a game that gets scratched, etc.

My inability to do any of that after the system is one day retired makes it unappealing.

But more importantly, Phil Harrison of Microsoft stated that while the system won't require a constant, uninterrupted internet connection to work and play games offline, it will need to be connected to the internet once every 24 hours. M$ then did some back peddling saying that details are still being 'worked out' and that this is a 'potential scenario'. What I take from that is even if the time between online connections is extended (whether it's once a week, a month, or a year), there's likely truth in what Phil said.

What this means is that one day when the system is retired, just as all past systems have been at some point or another, and the PS3 and 360 will be in the next few years, you will simply lose access to ALL of the games that you purchased. Your system may be in perfect working order, but because so much time will have passed with no connection to the network, and since the network will be no longer available at that point, you just can't play your games anymore.

You are right... this IS an expensive hobby. And I have NO intention of spending a few hundred bucks on the system, a few couple/few hundred bucks on peripherals, and probably at least a few thousand bucks on games over the life of the system just for them to one day pull the plug and for it to all be gone in an instant. It's not that I can't afford, it's that I consider it to be a complete waste of money if that is how it is going to work. Frankly I have to question the sanity of any person who would support something like that. But hey, if you like flushing your money down the toilet and having big corporations screw you over, have at it. I can't stop you.

I say to hell with the publishers and developers. Used games are nothing new and stores that sell them have been around for over 20 years (and as diosoth pointed out, many other companies that make many other products have to deal with second hand purchases as well... why should video games get a special free pass that the makers of other products don't?).

The only reason that used games have recently become such a hot button issue is that the development costs have sky rocketed and they make these over-bloated games (often that are all graphics and no substance) that they have to sell an absurd amount of just to break even. They need to find a way to reign in their costs.

I don't think it helps that Sony and M$ have pushed technology ahead in what I consider to be a premature manner. They like to come out with this expensive new tech that despite costing the consumer a lot to buy, they have to sell at a loss and make it up in software sales. Frankly I think the launches for the 360 and PS3 were premature. The PS2/Xbox generation should have lasted at least as long as the PS3/360 generation has been (~8 years) before the new consoles were even launched. Then from that point the PS3/360 generation (which would have stared a few years later) should have still had the ~8 year life before the PS4/Xbox1 were to come out, pushing their launches back a few years.

Putting this kind of tech out so quickly when it costs more forces publishers and developers to adapt to it while it is most costly to do so. It really doesn't seem like a viable long term business model to me.

Say what you will about Nintendo being 'behind' compared to the competition, and I know their library is often lacking outside of first party games, but at least they are profiting from day 1 with their systems. If Sony and M$ had never gotten into the console business and we still had Nintendo vs Sega or something akin to it, I don't think the future of gaming would be looking as grim as it is right now.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; May 22, 2013 at 09:21am.

I'm pretty excited with what was shown yesterday and I will be buying Xbox One later this year. Unless Sony does something that really awes me or Microsoft something that truly appalls me (like drowns kittens in a live tv-show), or the Steambox turns out to be something revolutionary.

The gaming industry is changing rapidly and not all changes are easy to accept or pleasant for me personally. But I want to be on this ride and have this experience. I've been gaming on consoles since 80's and if this is to be the last console generation, it'll be nice to experience the demise first hand. Though I doubt that. I have a feeling that this next gen will fall in between two big leaps. The current generation consoles were a big leap forward and I could see the generation coming after this next one being something revolutionary as well. It'll be interesting to see if Sony, Micro$oft and Nintendo are still in the competition after next gen. I could see PC-gaming becoming the next big thing if projects like Steambox are successful.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

It is not where I am that matters, it is when

I think you need to think about the concept of used games because you obviously do not understand it. Do you have any friends? Do you not let them borrow games and they let you borrow games? Do they not bring games over and you brings game over to their place? What about crappy games? Do you not sell off the games you buy that turn out to suck? If the answer is no to all of these, then that is your own problem.

And it is reasons like this pirating exists. The only thing putting up restrictions does is hurt those who are doing things legitimately. Pirates will exist until the end of time and will find ways around the rules. They wouldn't be pirates otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    I'm pretty excited with what was shown yesterday and I will be buying Xbox One later this year. Unless Sony does something that really awes me or Microsoft something that truly appalls me (like drowns kittens in a live tv-show), or the Steambox turns out to be something revolutionary.

The gaming industry is changing rapidly and not all changes are easy to accept or pleasant for me personally. But I want to be on this ride and have this experience. I've been gaming on consoles since 80's and if this is to be the last console generation, it'll be nice to experience the demise first hand. Though I doubt that. I have a feeling that this next gen will fall in between two big leaps. The current generation consoles were a big leap forward and I could see the generation coming after this next one being something revolutionary as well. It'll be interesting to see if Sony, Micro$oft and Nintendo are still in the competition after next gen. I could see PC-gaming becoming the next big thing if projects like Steambox are successful.

Well, whatever. Sony has won regardless with the superior system.
    Last edited by Dr Kain; May 22, 2013 at 08:41am.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I could see PC-gaming becoming the next big thing if projects like Steambox are successful.
    Steambox would be successful, if the price is right.

Oh guys, don't forget about Portable PC game that will emerge soon with Steambox, and Razer Edge "Console"
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

I might have misunderstood but I was under the impression that Valve's official Steambox has not yet been revealed.

Didn't Valve state that the one released is not the Steambox they've been talking about?

I could see Steambox costing more than consoles, though. And it remains to be seen how many games will work with it if the OS is indeed linux-based.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    It looks like a huge backlash is building from people in the military who won't bve able to play an always-on console.

No biggie. They'll just put out service versions of the game on 50 floppy discs.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I think you need to think about the concept of used games because you obviously do not understand it. Do you have any friends? Do you not let them borrow games and they let you borrow games? Do they not bring games over and you brings game over to their place? What about crappy games? Do you not sell off the games you buy that turn out to suck? If the answer is no to all of these, then that is your own problem.

And it is reasons like this pirating exists. The only thing putting up restrictions does is hurt those who are doing things legitimately. Pirates will exist until the end of time and will find ways around the rules. They wouldn't be pirates otherwise.
    Well said!

Well, whatever. Sony has won regardless with the superior system.
    Right now they are looking better, yes. But there's still a lot of details about the PS4 that we don't know yet, and there could be some restrictive measures with it... I just hope no where near as restrictive as Microsoft. I prefer the PS3 over the 360 since it is less restrictive and you can actually download DLC to more than 1 console and use it offline. I'm hoping this trend continues, but I'm not holding my breath.

One thing is almost certain, unless something drastically changes preventing some of these confirmed and rumored restrictive measures from going into effect on either or both of these systems, this will likely be the first generation in a long time that I don't actually end up owning all of the systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    GEEZE I'm behind! Didn't even know this was announced. Didn't know the PS4 had been announced either! Heck I'm still finding out about old SNES games I didn't realize were awesome and I've still got a stack of PS2 games I never played (not to mention the PS3 ones, though I've barely scratched the surface). I can't keep up with this junk!

That's the point. MS and their co-conspiriters think you just sit around and play games all day long that you pirated or got for peanuts. I haven't played any games in a long time because I've been busy dealing with the real world.

They're the one's who are sitting in front of the screen playing games all day. Not me

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I've still got a stack of PS2 games I never played (not to mention the PS3 ones, though I've barely scratched the surface). I can't keep up with this junk!
    That's another issue for me as well. I have some games for some older consoles that were bought new back when those systems were current, but I just haven't finished those games or in some cases have barely touched them at all, but I tentatively plan to at some point.

This sort of thing won't be an option with the Xbox One after the system is retired, from the sounds of it. This is about as anti-consumer as it gets.

I might have misunderstood but I was under the impression that Valve's official Steambox has not yet been revealed.

Didn't Valve state that the one released is not the Steambox they've been talking about?

I could see Steambox costing more than consoles, though. And it remains to be seen how many games will work with it if the OS is indeed linux-based.
    Yes, The "Piston" is way to overprice for a "PC" game, 1 thousand dollars for a console which is a bad deal.

From what I remember that Steambox will run on Windows I believe, only using the Steam Big Picture.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Unfortunately they will never admit that DRM, trying to kill used sales(imagine book publishers trying to ban used sales or libraries, or Mattel saying you can't buy second-hand MOTUC) and all that have hurt their industry, not helped, by treating paying customers like potential criminals.
    Yeah, just like the movie industry at one point.

Anyway, I certainly hope this doesn't lead to another video game crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I don't get it
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

They were going on about being able to watch TV through the new Xbox One system by connecting it with your TV provider.

"Rabbit Ears" is what antennas attached to older TVs were often called.

Master of New Adventures!
    I'll be the first to admit I'm likely the most low tech guy on the board. So all the technical aspects aside, I just don't get why they made it look so boring. With all the money they've got why did they create an exterior package that looks like an ancient VCR? Is this the best they could come up with?

They were going on about being able to watch TV through the new Xbox One system by connecting it with your TV provider.

"Rabbit Ears" is what antennas attached to older TVs were often called.
    ah, now I get it

I also agree. Why would I want a console to watch TV when I have a TV
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Call of Doodie!

I left my wallet in El Segundo...

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I'll be the first to admit I'm likely the most low tech guy on the board. So all the technical aspects aside, I just don't get why they made it look so boring. With all the money they've got why did they create an exterior package that looks like an ancient VCR? Is this the best they could come up with?

I doubt it. Neither is "One" the best name they could have come up with. They were, clearly, more concerned with stuff they'd rather you and I not be aware of than they were with the basics

Then again, there's that haircut seen above....