Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: X-Box One

Master of New Adventures!
    Interesting thought considering tonight is our 17th wedding anniversary. Nah. I think I'd rather leave the children out of it and envision Kim and me wrapped around each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I'm envisioning Ollesker, his wife, and their children watching a movie. Wrapped in aluminum foil...
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; May 25, 2013 at 06:56pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Interesting thought considering tonight is our 17th wedding anniversary. Nah. I think I'd rather leave the children out of it and envision Kim and me wrapped around each other.

But it does give new meaning to the term "Nuclear family" doesn't it
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

You got dat right, brother!!!

But it does give new meaning to the term "Nuclear family" doesn't it

I can't wait to see this turd flop hard. About as hard as the Wii U.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Yup. At least I learned from my mistake on the WiiU. I have zero intention on Xbox one. I say that now, but watch me get one.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    At least the Wii U doesn't require you to use the internet just to play games!

The Xbox One is not looking good for that reason alone.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Looks like you're not going to have to wait long, Soulfly.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthi...rtner=yahootix

Oh, man; yet another web page concerning xbox with 8000 angry comments at the end for me to read through.

I'm already so far behind. I've only gone through half the sites on the Internet thus far

Here's a quote from Xbox One press materials concerning used games:

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2013/06/07/...#ixzz2VXsZwUcT
    So, basically, IF the developers let you, you can trade in your games. And you can lend a game ONCE to one friend who is on your friend's list for 30 days. I don't know if I've ever wanted something to fail so much as I want this to fail.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I expect craigslist to be flooded with modded Xbox consoles and ads for modding services, and a good 60% piracy rate on these things.

And if anyone thinks this console will be piracy immune... unlikely. It'll be cracked within a month. I'm not surprised companies tried to abolish first sale laws, nor do I feel sorry for some publishers or devs when so many games these days are barely shovelware.

Nintendo meanwhile is trying to force Let's Play videos on Youtube to direct ad revenue to Nintendo. Okay, so I play a game, post footage on Youtube, and Nintendo wants to be paid? For doing zero work? Yeah, I'm not going to cry for them either. I can't feel sorry for any company that wants to be paid multiple times after you purchase your copy of the game.

And you know what? I've read Steam TOS. It has that "we can revoke your access to games you paid for at any time, for any reason, with no reimbursement" clause. That alone is why I iwll not use Steam. If companies can't give us a physical product we can use, lend out or sell as we see fit then I'm not buying their goods. Even physical goods are in danger as the first sale fight would've applied to physical items too.

I may want to feel bad for small companies, but people like Gabe Newell use $100 bills as toilet paper. I'm not sorry if they can't buy a 5th car because of piracy nor do I think the small companies would be any better off because the execs would just find some other excuse to cut them out and pad their bank accounts. I apply the same to movies and music- I can't feel bad if James Hetfield can't afford his 4th house.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Here's a quote from Xbox One press materials concerning used games:

So, basically, IF the developers let you, you can trade in your games. And you can lend a game ONCE to one friend who is on your friend's list for 30 days. I don't know if I've ever wanted something to fail so much as I want this to fail.

There's a lot of muscle behind this, including: MS, GameStop, Publishers, and possibly Sony. "Failure" in this case would be a big ass mushroom cloud. Wouldn't be a win for consumers. Wouldn't be much left of gaming other than drug store plug n play units and maybe Nintendo

I'm fine with it. They should have stuck with old school arcade games. I grew up on Pac-man, Joust, etc,. My interest in gaming since then has mostly been in spurts and usually Nintendo or retro related. I've got better hobbies like working out at the gym, watching cartoons, college, and collecting action figures. If the industry goes belly up, I won't lose any sleep over it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I may want to feel bad for small companies, but people like Gabe Newell use $100 bills as toilet paper. I'm not sorry if they can't buy a 5th car because of piracy nor do I think the small companies would be any better off because the execs would just find some other excuse to cut them out and pad their bank accounts. I apply the same to movies and music- I can't feel bad if James Hetfield can't afford his 4th house.

They have this misguided notion that pirates will buy something if they can't pirate it. Simply not true and represents brain dead thinking. If you can secure a gem from a cat burglar, he isn't likely to buy it once he decides there's no way to steal it.

Absolutely agree with you, Phil, in regards to your piracy comment. People who pirate stuff just move onto other things. They have no intention of paying for anything and would just pirate whatever they could.

With the X-Box one, I can't help but be reminded of DIVX, the late 90's (98, I believe) Circuit City launched iniative that was similar to DVD, but used a special player that hooked up to the internet to let folks (rent movies) they purchased. Essentially, you purchased a dsic for $4, but the disc could only be watched for a 48 hour period. Every subsequent time you watched the disc, you paid another $4 dollars. The idea was pushed as an alternative to video rental and was backed by a number of studios, but the general public disliked it and it died a quick death. It was overly complicated (we don't need more steps between buying movie and watching movie) and buyers didn't feel like they were actually getting anything in return.

I can't help but feel that X-Box one is similar. It's so darn complicated. I can't just buy game and play game. There's weird hurdles to overcome. I've honestly been doing a lot of soul searching and have decided that unless PS4 makes an effort to radically distance itself from Microsoft's crazy policies, I'll probably leave modern video gaming behind.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    I can't help but feel that X-Box one is similar. It's so darn complicated. I can't just buy game and play game. There's weird hurdles to overcome. I've honestly been doing a lot of soul searching and have decided that unless PS4 makes an effort to radically distance itself from Microsoft's crazy policies, I'll probably leave modern video gaming behind.

I feel like I've already done that for the most part. My family bought me a Wii two years ago for the holidays. I went out and bought desirable first party titles (eg. Mario Galaxy) but have yet to remove the system from the box. It's just been sitting in my closet

Oh, man; yet another web page concerning xbox with 8000 angry comments at the end for me to read through.

I'm already so far behind. I've only gone through half the sites on the Internet thus far
    Obviously you don't have the time for this, Phil, since you took my advice and are lobbying for a position on the board of directors at Microsoft. Good luck. You've got my vote, buddy.

Obviously you don't have the time for this, Phil, since you took my advice and are lobbying for a position on the board of directors at Microsoft. Good luck. You've got my vote, buddy.

LOL. Job's getting a little harder every day

- - - Updated - - -

Hilarious thread on MS using plants in various forums

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...=579945&page=1

Oh Junk Box One. Just getting even more junkier.

Good thing I'll never have any intention of selling this new crap at my store. One less headache to have to deal with.

It's simple. If I pay retail for something, I own it. Then I should be able to do whatever I want with after the fact. Silly silly microsoft. Just go under already.

Listen, I get your pain, brother. But "go under"? In 2012 their revenues were two billion...from their Skype division alone. With $73.8 billion (yes, that's a 'b') in annual sales from 2012 they are one of the most valuable companies in the world. Love 'em or hate 'em, they directly created over 12,000 millionaires (not to mention three billionaires) since their inception. Love 'em or hate 'em, they're not going to go under.

Sorry.

Oh Junk Box One. Just getting even more junkier.

Good thing I'll never have any intention of selling this new crap at my store. One less headache to have to deal with.

It's simple. If I pay retail for something, I own it. Then I should be able to do whatever I want with after the fact. Silly silly microsoft. Just go under already.

Yeah, the government would never allow that anyway. Big time bailout.

The best we can hope for is small victories: I want my free 360

Listen, I get your pain, brother. But "go under"? In 2012 their revenues were two billion...from their Skype division alone. With $73.8 billion (yes, that's a 'b') in annual sales from 2012 they are one of the most valuable companies in the world. Love 'em or hate 'em, they directly created over 12,000 millionaires (not to mention three billionaires) since their inception. Love 'em or hate 'em, they're not going to go under.

Sorry.

I didn't mean Microsoft as a company. Just their garbage gaming division. Should have made that a little more clear

Okay. Now I get it.

Well, their xBox division did $3.7 Billion in revenues last year. But that was down 11% from the previous year, so maybe you'll get your wish yet!

I didn't mean Microsoft as a company. Just their garbage gaming division. Should have made that a little more clear

As I've said I don't see this selling very well. Especially since the second conference.
    Monday is E3, and we'll hear more. But I don't think the PS4 is going to be that different
    They may not have the built in infrastructure that Microsoft has, but they have hinted
    already that the used games on the PS4 will be "Up to the publishers"

My theory is that the AAA publishers really pressured the console vendors about this.
    So each took their complaints under consideration. Microsoft seems to have taken a completely
    Orwellian approach. Sony looks like it will be a lot less convoluted, and focus on the main
    function people buy a console for, but with some form of DRM.

Nintendo is the one vendor who is just going against the grain by ironically doing
    what they've always done, allowing buyers to sell or give away unwanted games, and
    trying to stay at a price point the average person is comfortable with. Unfortunately
    people balked at the idea of only being a minor step up from current gen visuals, and they blew
    their head start. But that may not matter if Sony repeats Microsoft's path.

Again this is why I also see a lot of folks going back to PC. After all the competition between
    multiple store fronts drives game prices down. There are a lot of venues/publishers that also sell
    DRM free versions of games. It's the best platform for indies. Most of the games on PS4/XB1 are
    going to hit PC anyway. So I see a lot of folks going with a decent PC (Seriously you don't need thousands
    to play games at above console visuals/performance.) because of the benefits, and far less authoritarian
    DRM.

I can also see a lot of folks going with a Wii-U for the Nintendo games, it's exclusives, and then getting multiplats
    on their computers.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Well, I don't think things are going to be looking to good for Microsoft. Sony just announced during their press conference no used game restrictions (specifying that it will work like it does on PS3 now), no mandatory online check in. If they have a model that is at least somewhat less expensive than the $500 price for Xbox One, I don't see how they can lose.

Plus they announced Kingdom Hearts III being in development! I'm sold on PS4!

Edit:

Here's a PS4 used games instructional video:

Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; June 10, 2013 at 11:11pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

That video is brilliant. Sony played this just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    If they have a model that is at least somewhat less expensive than the $500 price for Xbox One, I don't see how they can lose.

http://gizmodo.com/sonys-ps4-is-400-512483428

Thank you Sony for, among many other things, saying that PS4 games would be playable forever thanks to no DRM. I loved how they pressed the point about consumer trust, and showed that list of everything they were allowing. It was a slam dunk as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to really miss Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3, but at least Capcom probably won't stick to console exclusivity. They didn't (really) with 2.

There's a joke here somewhere about the Red Wedding and E3...but I can't quite get it.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa