Thread: Fraudulent charges after ordering Spirit of Hordak?

Fraudulent charges after ordering Spirit of Hordak?

I bring this up because mattycollector is the only place that had my card info. So has anyone else noticed or been contacted about fraudulent charges after ordering Spirit of Hordak? I ordered him on the 8th for $34.90 but was contacted by my bank about a charge on the 16th for $39.99 from DRI. There were also a bunch of other charges for disney club, coffee, knives, game websites, etc... Also, there is no order history for the $39.99 charge, just the 8th.

I've already cancelled my card but it will be Friday before I can get to the bank to start removing the charges. Should I contact matty too?
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

Definitely you should contact Matty. Make sure you speak to a higher up, and ask to speak to someone in the US. It is a law that if you request to speak to someone in the US they have to oblige. don't let them get away with saying "that is not possible", tell them it's law and demand it.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    While there are many reasons to suspect and question DR over this, there could be other reasons for it. Are you sure that you never used your card elsewhere online, even if it was quite a while ago? It's possible that some other site that you previously used your card on was hacked.

Are you sure that you don't have and kind of spyware/malware on your computer? It's possible that when you placed the order, someone got ahold of your card info when you entered into the site if they were 'spying' on your activity.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I've never used it online before. And I used my work comp here at the school I teach at.
    FEEDBACK

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stprime View Post
    I've never used it online before. And I used my work comp here at the school I teach at.
    That sounds similar to what happened to me a while back, when Matty mixed my account up with at least one other person and I wound up with several hundred dollars of bogus charges on the site (though those charges did show up in my order history). First thing I'd recommend after cancelling the card is changing your password on the Matty site in case the account has been compromised. Remove your card information and every other piece of info you can from that account. The next part is going to be a headache if you have a sub, but I would strongly recommend setting up a new account if you're going to keep dealing with them, and calling a higher up at Matty to have a new sub started under that account. This is going to be hard because of who you're dealing with, sadly.

In my case, it was the account itself that was compromised, not the card, so what's going on here may be a bit different. But if you've not used the card elsewhere online, it sure sounds like the problem started at DR (which I can't even feign surprise at).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Honestly It sounds like a waiter or someone has taken your card info. It happened to several of my old employees and my mom as well. They simply took the numbers and ordered as much as possible until it was canceled. I hope you get your money back quickly.

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    While there are many reasons to suspect and question DR over this, there could be other reasons for it. Are you sure that you never used your card elsewhere online, even if it was quite a while ago? It's possible that some other site that you previously used your card on was hacked.

Are you sure that you don't have and kind of spyware/malware on your computer? It's possible that when you placed the order, someone got ahold of your card info when you entered into the site if they were 'spying' on your activity.
    Nope same thing happened to me years ago. It was around the time Matty/DR revealed they had been compromised by a third party. I used my card on their site and within a few days someone put a bunch of bogus charges on my card. I had to cancel the card and pretty much update everything including Matty.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Thexxwatcherxx's Newly Chosen:
    Batman1180~The Godbeast~TheFallen~
    Sword-of-Grayskull~ChrisBryan~

The 1st charge being on the site is a dead giveaway IMHO. I only use my card at Walmart and for gas. The misses takes care of everything else. It can't just be a coincidence the first thing they did was buy off matty. Can they track who used my card?
    FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by stprime View Post
    The 1st charge being on the site is a dead giveaway IMHO. I only use my card at Walmart and for gas. The misses takes care of everything else. It can't just be a coincidence the first thing they did was buy off matty. Can they track who used my card?
    The credit card company can get the information from the companies on the shipping addresses of the charges, but they will never give the information to you. They will only give it to law enforcement. This prevents people from taking the law into their own hands. That recent movie, Identify Theft, could never happen in real life.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

I've had this happen twice. Once was online (GI Joe Collectors Club was hacked) and once was in person when a waitress went to go run my card for the bill and took down all the info. So even if you've never used it online it could have been something that happened elsewhere. But I just checked my bank account and no unusual activity from Matty or elsewhere for me (including still no $4 shipping discount).
    TOP 44 WANTS
    VINTAGE:Peekablue/Dragstor/Perfuma/Saurod
    NA:Crita/Darius/Nocturna/Sagitar/Sebrian/Tuskador/Kayo/Lizzor/
    Andros/Hoove/Quakke/Vizar/Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Sunder/Twiggets/Masque/Dylamug/Vultak/Granita/Malektha
    200X:Veena/Miro/Hawke/Prahvus/EvilSeed/Illumina/Ceratus
    MISC:Lodar/Delora/Dare/MaskOfPowerDemons/LtAndra

Had the waitress thing happen to my wife's card. But I do know people put card readers on gas pumps too. So you just never know. But you'll be fine the bank will take care of it. Just give Matty a new card if you want to have one on file with them. I wouldn't worry about it much past what you've already done.
    "Problems Weaver?"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

You can never be sure where your information gets taken from....even credit card companies use 3rd party centers like Cebu in the Phillipines and they have almost no secuity precautions there like we have here, I have friends that work for Chase Bank...the 3rd party people trasfer and "security verify" dead people. It is really scary, and this is the company that GIVES you your credit card!

Matty uses a 3rd party in Cebu as well, there are a few massive call centers there.One of my friends that works at Chase called Matty on my behalf to return the Catra I received that had 2 right hands, I had laryngitis at the time, so I couldn't speak. He got one of the same agents that he had spoken with before when at work at Chase on the Matty line - Marigold.
    Last edited by CanadaClassics; May 22, 2013 at 10:31pm.
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Actually, Yes...this did happen to me right after the May subscription billed and shipped. I received a call from Chase that the very card I used for the may shipment had been compromised but they declined the fraudulent charges due to security alerts I have coded to my Chase accounts. But they did have to cancel it and send me a new card...Now we also had 2 encounters the same weekend with a waitress at a hotel and a waiter at a Long Horn Steak house..but since there could be a correlation with Mattycollector site I decided to chime in...BTW this call was just last night so it could still happen to others that ordered Hordak Spirit or the regular subscription billings....keep an eye on your bank accounts, fortunately for me no charges were made but declined and now I have only a true credit card, not a debit card on file at Matty with greater fraud protection.
    Ram Man's long lost brother!

A few years back both me and my mother (who was buying figures for me on matty) simultaneously were compromised in the same month timeframe. The banks froze both cards. All the charges were being made in Europe. I am convinced it was DR/Matty because it is the only site we both used. Each bank, thankfully, took care of it all though - but we had to get new debit cards.

but we had to get new debit cards.[/QUOTE]

NEVER USE A DEBIT CARD ON THE INTERNET!
    "Problems Weaver?"

I got a response...

Dear Sucker,

Thank you for contacting the MattyCollector.com online store.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

We have reviewed our records and verified that the only transaction you
    have is the order you placed on 5/8/13.

Details are as follows:

Order# 13116415942
    Order Date: 5/8/13
    Order Total: $34.90
    Order Status: Complete (Settled)
    Product Name: Spirit of Hordak™ Figure

There are no other charges that we are attempting to take out of your
    account.

Sincerely,
    Regine T.
    MattyCollector.com online store
    Customer Service
    mattycollector.cs@digitalriver.com

Really? Because it makes so much sense that when someone steals a card they would use it to buy using said persons account and then send it to them too. Why would they use my account and send it to me?!?? That be like asking to get caught.
    FEEDBACK

Don't even bother with Matty...just call your bank and say that the card has fraud charges...tell them all the ones that aren't yours and let them cancel your card...remove the charges and get you a new card...Matty will be of no help...
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572