Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 4 horseman continuity with sculpting?

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    got to the love the first world problem topics
    That's the nature of collecting overpriced pieces of plastic. All problems are first world problems.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    So discussing differences in sculpting on MOTUC figures on a MOTU related board is somehow worthy of being dismissed as "first world problems?" Do tell then what exactly folks should be discussing on the boards.
    Yeah....I guess we should be discussing how our Kitchen faucets leak causing water damage, or how our Phobias are affecting those around us... Since we're on a Toy forum, discussing toys, WOW, we shouldn't be discussing toy topics....apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbecue17 View Post
    Personally, I felt with Marlena that they were trying to give her a very Filmation like vibe with the augmented eyes. Space Marlena is one of my favorite figures, but the eyes are really different. I loved Lizard Man, but I'm always concerned of figures that might be crossing the line into "too cartoonish". So far, I can't think of any that have gotten there yet. I do dislike the way that the EP Randor used bright yellow for gold to match the Filmation look, as I felt it was out of place in a line that regularly uses metallic hues, but the reused head was fine.
    While I like EP Randor, I too would not have objected to the yellow being Gold, at least it would have matched Marlena, and let's face it, this is why the Filmation characters get a bad rap. They don't always need to be so literal in translation from toon to toy, we all know what Filmation was doing with the yellow, gold was implied....but what ticks me off is the loss of Bicep articulation when they could have easily done it, as they did Teela's....no excuse why it was cut, yet hey, let's blame it on the Horsemen....just like the now apparently extinct Female boot cut....sorry, that should have never been cut, it adds a bit of realism to they toys.

Also as far Filmation design goes....a figure can be just as detailed as any other figure in the line, yet, it will still be said it's not detailed enough and be hated simply because it's a Filmation design....Or like how one wouldn't be demanded unless he's made a sub exclusive, like Fang Man, then Oh my God....everyone has to have him.

It's amazing how limiting a characters release can change ones opinion about owning one.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I've never paid much attention to this because we have so many figures now - if this sort of issue was present at the start of the line it would have been a bigger deal to me. If MAA had been sculpted really realistically and He-Man more toon like.

I do think Jitsu's head could have been more classic-ised even though the sculpt is amazing. I really like Icarius's face and Bow's - Fisto's is cool but a bit too realistic.

MOTUC heads/faces should be rounder and have minimal details.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post

And in my opinion whoever the "5th" Horseman is that they let sculpt....they should stop it.... Fisto's head (and maybe Bow) is the best thing he's done, and even that has issues I can't unsee (his sunken in eye sockets with what looks like bug eyes on top of them), and I actually like Fisto's head. Jitsu's head is too small, jawline too big, NA He-Man's head is not right, Icarius looks too much like Val Kilmer.

And don't get me started on the hands....Bow's and NA He-Man's....I hate those huge ass HULK SMASH hands on He-Man, they're disproportionate and are too big for the figure, and sadly Whichever He-Man figures come after I know will likely get those stupid things....which will make me dislike the figures. I don't know who sculpted the hands, but I doubt it was the same regular Horsemen that did the original hands, because they are all proportionate and look well done.
    Just wondering, do we know for sure which heads etc were sculpted by the 5th Horseman? Or are people just assuming that these figures must have been done by him because of the issues?
    Awesome sticker included!

I love most of the MOTUC sculpts to the point of masterpieces, but the squeezed head Jitsu and the bug eyed Frosta heads really bother me as an artist. Some of the women's face just seem cruel looking (Marlena)...
    NA He-man's swollen jaw is a bummer, but the face has a better grimace than the MOTUC He-man.Less rubbery looking.
    Fantastical!

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    Just wondering, do we know for sure which heads etc were sculpted by the 5th Horseman? Or are people just assuming that these figures must have been done by him because of the issues?
    That I know of, officially (no hearing of, or speculation) he did, Fisto, Icarius & Jitsu, not sure who else he officially did, but I know for fact those 3. I'm sure he did a few more, but I also can only look at and inspect the ones I personally own, and know what I saw as official news. And out of the 63 I now own, I see his work in two of those 3....(Fisto & Jitsu)
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Regardless of preferences in sculpting style I think most of the heads work for the characters, and unless you are really trying to pick things apart they all look fine standing next to each other. The only heads I think really don't work are Clawful and Carnivus. Clawful is too much a literal translation of the original and should have been interpreted more to remove the effects of rotocasting. I don't know what style Carnivus is but he's not Classicized or MYP or even "Hyper Anime Detailed" he's just kind of generically cartoony with realistic texture... he seems kind of odd. Aside from those two I must confess the other heads, even those I don't like, (Buzz Off, Grizzlor, and Snout Spout to name a few) work well enough with the aesthetic of the line.

Just to make clear.... I'm not dissing the 5th horsemanship work, I'd just prefer it if it was kept the same throughout the line
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

Heroic Warrior
    Despite my earlier comments defending the stylistic variety in the head sculpts, I'll concede that the NA He-Man sculpt is dissapointing. Jawline, eyes too close together--yeah. He went from being one of my most anticipated figures in the whole line to a lukewarm maybe-sell. I bet he'll look better in hand, though.

Quote Originally Posted by vid.tracey View Post
    Just to make clear.... I'm not dissing the 5th horsemanship work, I'd just prefer it if it was kept the same throughout the line
    I agree. I think most people feel that way. The hands would annoy me at any rate. Pinkies aren't the size of bird fingers.

That I know of, officially (no hearing of, or speculation) he did, Fisto, Icarius & Jitsu, not sure who else he officially did, but I know for fact those 3. I'm sure he did a few more, but I also can only look at and inspect the ones I personally own, and know what I saw as official news. And out of the 63 I now own, I see his work in two of those 3....(Fisto & Jitsu)
    Thans for the info!

I think I can see what you mean when looking at Fisto and Jitsu. I do, however, love the sculpts and don't think the heads are too small. Look at Dekker, he has the smallest head of the whole line and no one ever complained about him.
    I don't see the difference in style in Icarius's head sculpt though.

Look at Dekker, he has the smallest head of the whole line and no one ever complained about him.
    I don't see the difference in style in Icarius's head sculpt though.
    That's because I don't own Dekker

As for Icarius, Jitsu & Fisto, it's not just the size, but the over styled sculpting when compared to the rest of the line.

As for Jitsu in a size comparison....Jitsu's head fits inside He-Man's hair, the the size of his face, not his whole head. He-Man has a proportionate head compared to the buck itself, Jitsu, doesn't. Also the jaw on Jitsu is really wide compared to the top of his head.

Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    He-Man has a proportionate head compared to the buck itself, Jitsu, doesn't.
    That He-Man head always struck me as bobble-headed? I think its how I view their proportions. To me the only way to justify their ridiculous musculature is if they were huge like the incredible hulk or something. Mattel must feel the same way since they are adamant that these are in scale to the DC figures. If they are indeed in scale and just really buff and tall then the heads should be smaller in proportion to the bodies like Fisto or Dekker. The bigger heads make them closer to the original toys in proportion, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

That's because I don't own Dekker

As for Icarius, Jitsu & Fisto, it's not just the size, but the over styled sculpting when compared to the rest of the line.

As for Jitsu in a size comparison....Jitsu's head fits inside He-Man's hair, the the size of his face, not his whole head. He-Man has a proportionate head compared to the buck itself, Jitsu, doesn't. Also the jaw on Jitsu is really wide compared to the top of his head.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...26022804_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...24373272_n.jpg
    I see what you mean. The pictures illustrate this quite well.
    But for some reason it doesn't really bother me that much. In real life people's heads vary in size as well; I believe my dad's head is about twice as big as mine

The oversized hands and wrong anatomy on NA He-Man are a different matter though. They bother me a lot

I see what you mean. The pictures illustrate this quite well.
    But for some reason it doesn't really bother me that much. In real life people's heads vary in size as well; I believe my dad's head is about twice as big as mine

The oversized hands and wrong anatomy on NA He-Man are a different matter though. They bother me a lot
    Yeah, the hands.....eh....can't stand those things....I could live with NA He-Man if, IF, it were only the head issue, but the hands make him look really horrible....a head swap with an extra He-Man head is easy, hand swaps are not, mainly if you don't have a spare pair laying around....I do not.

I really hope they do not use those hands on a regular basis on future He-Man figures, at least, DON'T use them on Flying Fists please....leave the last Vintage He-Man alone.

As far as the heads, I can look past them, to a point, but I can't unsee the difference....but I do like Fisto & Jitsu, as far as Fisto goes....his armor and the torso are my issues with him.
    Recent....Eldor
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor