Hi guys!

I have done some customs in the past, check them out!

But, lately I have been getting the itch to try my hand at an actual production run of custom figures. For the one off characters, the process is much different, since you're just making the one.

I have never done any sort of work with molds creation, injection molding, etc. but I know there are a handful of folks on here that do have. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated! and thank you in advance. I'll just list out everything I am curious about, feel free to chime in.

1. Are the steps for making a production run done solely by you, or do you pay some kind of manufacturing company to make your parts, such as parts of the toys themselves, but also the bubble plastic, and the backing card?

2. What are the basics of mold making? I understand many people use existing MOTU and other figures to get a mold from. What materials are involved for the mold itself? Is there a multi step mold process to create a more permanent metal mold? (Since I assume trying to make a metal mold from a plastic figure will only melt the figure?) I am very familiar with 3D modelling. Has anyone created a mold based off of 3D model data? Do you use a 3D print of your data the same as you would an existing figure to achieve your mold?

3. What equipment do you need to get started, and where can you buy this type of equipment and materials?

Since this process is so new to me, im many ways I know there are things that I don't know I don't know about how it works. I have done some searching online, and many of the injection tutorials involve having huge pieces of equipment to do. A friend told me that there is a hardware store nearby that has an injection machine that you can use, so that is an option for me.

Anyways, just looking to get the ball rolling a bit, thanks so much for any help