View Poll Results: Do you like the new DC He-Man Costume?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! I love the new costume - it's a fresh take on He-Man.

22 13.02%
  • Doesn't matter. I'm just glad He-Man's out there.

37 21.89%
  • NO! I can't stand this new costume - it's NOT He-Man.

110 65.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you like the new DC He-Man Costume?

Do you like the new DC He-Man Costume?

Some fans/collectors like the new DC Comic He-Man costume, others detest it. How many of you folks like it, hate it, or are ambivalent? With the possibility of DC Comic variants showing up in MOTUC in 2016 and beyond, how much fans like these versions of the characters may determine if they come to us in plastic form.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

I'm undecided at the moment. I'll wait to read the comics. (I'm subbed but still waiting on Issue 1, so it'll be awhile before I see the new look.)

As it is now, based on what I have seen, I'm "Okay with it." Not excited per se, and not horrified.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I will wait for issue 4, first I need an explanation, a good one and then say "oh now I get it, for that reason used that thing".
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I'm not as emotionally invested in the costume as others. I like it.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I will have to see it in my comic first, but I'll say now, I don't dig He-Man in full on costumes....main reason I don't like NA He-Man.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I think it looks lame.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Yeah it's terrible.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I love it.

Heroic Warrior
    One of the problems with the new MOTU, is that they are using a lame costume to replace a lame costume. I have a hard time caring about the new costume... when I really didn't like the one they started him in either...

Why they didn't just leave the original like they had on the cover to the 1st issue of the mini... I just don't understand.

I like it, wouldnt say i love it.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

I don't like it, but I'm not going to rant and rave about hating it. Changes like this are bound to happen.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I don't like it. It's inconsistent with other power-ups.

He-Man at his core is a barbarian. Mattel keeps on trying to change what he is. It's like trying to put armor on Conan or Tarzan.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I think it's awful. It looks just as bad as those in-house Mattel variants from the 200X line.

If Mattel is determined to change He-Man's look and put him in a less revealing outfit, then they should at least get the Four Horsemen to design it.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It's like trying to put armor on Conan or Tarzan.
    Very good point, MAX.

Plus, HE-MAN has advantage over those two, whereas his body is a lot closer to being 'indestructible'. There's no need for heavy armor. It would be as silly as putting SUPERMAN in armor....wait a minute...oh yeah.

Always Expect the Unexpected!

He-Man at his core is a barbarian. Mattel keeps on trying to change what he is. It's like trying to put armor on Conan or Tarzan.
    Good point but the difference is in the world of He-Man there are technology and its influence or need may be inevitable.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Eh, I like the design of it, but it's not really He-Man, is it? Needs more fur. Now, if it's just an armour variation taken on for a specific purpose, like the Snake Armour in the MYP show, I have no problem with it. If it's intended to be his permanent costume from now on though... Not on board with that. I'd like it better if it were some other character in some other property.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

I'm utterly dismayed over this design, at the point that I would quit reading / buying the series because of it (something that even Giffen's awful dialogue couldn't accomplish).
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I get what you're saying, but I have a more expanded envisionment (may or may not be an actual word) of barbarians.

Conan is my definitve barbarian. However, for me he is defined by the 1983 film. That was my introduction to him and in that film he sports various armors. Mostly medium to light armor but metal is worn in at least one scene. He is not restricted to a specific set or class of armor in my mind.

The MMO Age of Conan expands on that, with there being various tiers of armor for the barbarian class.

The preview image of him (He-Man) being "armored up" didn't phase me because of those things. I just figured he was sporting some padding/leather plates and pants. Conan, Valeria, & Subotai all did at some point in the film so it fits in with how I see barbarians.

Perhaps the illustrator has had the same experience I have and is able to envision He-Man in many different ways. I don't know, perhaps someone can ask him/her.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong for their definition of barbarian or their vision of He-Man, but perhaps they're not trying to change what he is versus having an pre-existing expanded definition of all that he can be. Like I said, I don't know. It is just a thought.

Totally on board with the Tarzan comparision though. I'd have a challenging time accepting him in armor, mostly because he is solitary and without sewing/tanning/blacksmith skills. Plus he's acrobatic as hell, he needs free access to movement.
    Last edited by slackrguy; May 26, 2013 at 08:31am.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I stopped buying them after issue 3 and sold them on ebay cause the new designs, sorry but this is not Masters of the Universe.
    And the new armor for He-Man is absolutely terrible for him. Same for Teela and the others.
    Glad to see most of the votes are same like my opinion.

I was going to vote "Doesn't matter" - in my own poll no less! But you guys have swayed me to vote "No". The main reason for this is because if the promotion that this is He-Man's permanent suit. I'd accept this version if it were explained away as "Horde Armor He-Man" or 2013 Battle Armor He-Man. I'd TOTALLY accept this as 2013 DC Comic Battle Armor He-Man, but not as "the main suit" - gotta have the iron cross, otherwise it's sacrilege.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I think it looks lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlcan View Post
    Yeah it's terrible.
    My sentiments exactly.

Like I said elsewhere! They strip down Teela to be almost naked. Yet cover up He-Man? Will this mean now Adam will be wearing almost nothing? Maybe he'll strip in front of his mother and father like Teela did with Man At Arms!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar

I see your point and understand where you are coming from but I disagree, He-Man exists in a world where science and sorcery are intertwined. His closest ally is a master weapon and armor smith, why would someone that is infused with the power and wisdom of the ages not look at his buddy MAA or Extendar or any of the villians and think, "he's got a butt-load of armor but I'm good in this furry underwear"?

My favorite HM costume/variant/power-up is Snake Armor, I just think that HM would take every advantage available to him.

BTW, I absolutely love Pop Mahan's concept......

It would be horrible if Mattel decided to put any of these new 52 designs into classics! Horrible.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Voted center. DOesnt matter. Just glad he's out there.

But I would vote specifically: Yes, I like it. Why not?

Really it's fine. It is what it is, and it doesnt hurt anything. Better than NA look. I just like the comic, the story, and where it's going. I cant wait to read more, and people do change clothes from time to time, so I can deal with it.

Plus he's been pretty static for a long time now, and I'll take it for now. I wouldnt mind seeing Barbarian looking He Man come back at some time. He is best as a big beefy nearly nekkid guy, cause that's his trope.

But It would be nice if it had a nice explination. I dont need alot to be convinced because like I said, it's normal to have more than one outfit. I have absolutely no problem with changing clothes.

Specifically I think it's a great design. I just wouldnt want to see it replace something more similar to the original design, for all time. But is it cool? Will it work as an alternate look? Heck yes.

---edit----

I will say I do think it looks too much (from the one shot i've seen) like Adam in battle gear, and I want it to Be HE MAN, not Prince Adam in battle gear. Remains to be seen.

As far as it goes, it's a really nice Adam in Battle Gear, heheh. But I hope he's very obviously adult beefy he man.