View Poll Results: Do you like the new DC He-Man Costume?

Voters
169. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! I love the new costume - it's a fresh take on He-Man.

22 13.02%
  • Doesn't matter. I'm just glad He-Man's out there.

37 21.89%
  • NO! I can't stand this new costume - it's NOT He-Man.

110 65.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you like the new DC He-Man Costume?

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    i like the fact he-man is back out there getting exposure to a broader audience, but i cant stand his new look
    im not buying sorry
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

I've been out of comics for awhile due to space issues. The last comic I bought before today was the MOTU series from MVC a few years back.
    I hadn't even heard DC was doing a He-Man book. Anyway they only had issue #2 on at the store so I grabbed #2 to see if I like it. I'll respond again
    once I've read through it. I'm praying it doesn't suck. I've found MOTU books spotty over the course of my lifetime. Loved the mini comics. Loved the
    80's DC comics. Didn't like the Marvel/Star Comics. Liked the MVC ones a lot.

EDIT: Skimmed the issue quick. Voted center. The costume (Unless it was drastically different in #1) is spiritually pretty close.
    Basically it looks like they merged the style of 80's He-Man with the style of 20xx He-Man. I would have preferred they just
    drawn the classic costume seeing how it's probably mostly us 30 something's reading it anyway. BUT, it's not the "OMGWTHBBQSAUCE BETRAYYYYYAAAALLL!"
    trolling of fans either. Of course I still have to read it to see which way the story goes.

Second Edit: I had mixed feelings coming away from it. On the whole I thought it was pretty good though I had a few problems with it.
    What I liked. The art was actually very good for what is sadly going to be a book that won't get the love the regular DCU does because it's a tie in. Character designs
    are hybrids of the 80's MOTU, POP, and 2002 MYP designs. It had most of the characterizations down. Teela is snarky, and tries biting off more than she can chew
    while still being a brave, and intelligent Captain at the same time. He-Man leans a little more toward the MYP version in his attitude, but carries along the John Erwin
    quips which seem to fit pretty well. King Randor definitely feels hardcore. He has his classic Burger King Filmation look while being the man of action he was in the newer
    series. The story

starts mid battle, and it was a little confusing for the first two pages because I didn't have the first issue. But basically they're starting out explaining
    the Princess Of Power origin. Admittedly they use a lot of what Filmation set up to good measure. They also tie it in with the King Grayskull bit from the MYP toon.
    Adora fights He-Man, and Teela, while Eternos is under a massive assault from Horde Bots. In the middle of the fight we get some really decent dialogue between He-Man
    Pre heroine Adora, and Teela. Stratos manages to swoop in, and keep Teela from getting killed. And Battle Cat shows up in time to fight off Adora temporarily, as Randor tells
    everyone they've lost the battle, and need to retreat to Castle Grayskull. Back at the Castle, Randor tells the Masters (They're doing the MYP thing where all of the heroes
    not called He-Man are the Masters) that Eternia hass fallen prey to the Evil Horde, and that their only chance at survival may be an alliance of convenience with Skeletor.
    He tells He-Man that before betraying Randor, (and getting messed up when it backfired) he was an excellent warrior who could go toe to toe with the Horde. Adora
    shows up via magical Star Wars esque Hologram hail to tell the Masters they have 15 minutes to surrender to Hordak's forces, or Eternia will be destroyed. Over all

not that bad. However the things I didn't like were: #1. The rushed pacing of the comic. I know it's not going to be a top tier priority for DC, and so they only had maybe 25 pages
    but as a result the book ends up being mostly

this huge fight against Adora
    so the last few bits of exposition feel crammed in.
    #2 It's actually not so much I didn't like it, but I was unprepared for it. He-Man, And The Masters Of The Universe gets REALLY violent. Don't get me wrong, I'm not for any sort of censorship in the medium. But the way it's presented here
    seems out of place for a property that has always been an all ages one. There isn't anything provocative or foul language mind you, but it's still not going to be for anyone under 13.
    A prime example of this is

when Battle Cat has to save He-Man from his sister, HE LITERALLY TAKES FLESH OFF OF HER FACE AS HE SLASHES HER
    I'm not saying
    it's like they decided to turn this into an exploitation movie or SAW. It's PG-13ish. It just seems out of place in He-Man. Hell, The Death Of Superman, and Knightfall didn't have this
    much blood. So if you've got a 6 year old child who likes the toys and old toons do not buy him this comic unless you think he or she can handle it. Strange I have to say that about a HE-MAN book.
    Last edited by TheDeviot; June 2, 2013 at 02:02am.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    In my opinion, the new costume has nothing to do with He-Man, I absolutely dislike it!

NO.

Unless that was Adam in some kind of Battle Gear.... HELL NO! It's not He-man; many have said throughout the years many characters have changed their looks and maybe at times it has served for great stories; but for something at least right now that is trying to grab a new audience for what it's supposed to be and what they will learn is totally different not a wise choice. No offense just look at what NA did for He-man (SORRY GUYS)... This just makes it appear that the 'handlers' have no faith in the original product. IMO

Let's just say i haven't read the story but my proposal for this look would be:
    Since it is no secret anymore that Adam is He-Man and from apparently the dissension of Orko(?) and the aftermath of Skeletor's spell in the DC Mini-Series; a new spell has been cast or is continuously in cast by Orko which limits Adam's ability to transform into He-Man even more. And with the knowledge of his secret identity the target on his back has become as big as Grayskull. But since Adam is the power, he can handle himself a little better now but requires a battle suit created by Duncan with the knowledge of the ancients can allow Adam to hold his own until he has the opportunity to transform.... Has some holes but I think it's better than what I'm seeing so far. If they wanted to put he-man in a suit i would;ve liked that battle armor look he had in the 200x toy line... Battle Sound He-Man
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

I'm glad that there is a new comic series happening, but the majority of the new designs just don't appeal to me, they either lackluster or simply lame.
    So I voted NO...
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Yes it looks like the original with modern tweaks
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    ---edit----

I will say I do think it looks too much (from the one shot i've seen) like Adam in battle gear, and I want it to Be HE MAN, not Prince Adam in battle gear. Remains to be seen.

As far as it goes, it's a really nice Adam in Battle Gear, heheh. But I hope he's very obviously adult beefy he man.
    I feel the same, great battle gear for Adam, but this isn't he-man to me. he-man in pants sucks, it's always a mistake. it's NEVER resulted in a bigger audience, NA, Snake Armour (which wasn't even full pants) has never sold he-man to more people. just like Superman Blue and Red, it's a stupid choice.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior
    I like it, it reminds me of his old school battle armor. Looking forward to the in-story explanation.

I'm not a fan of his armored up look, but I'm okay with his original DC look. I'd just prefer that the cross on his "original" harness had stayed red.

If that makes sense...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Man54 View Post
    I'm not a fan of his armored up look, but I'm okay with his original DC look. I'd just prefer that the cross on his "original" harness had stayed red.

If that makes sense...
    Broadly agree - though the chain mail is just downright silly; whoever heard of chain mail and bare legs? The stuff chafes like the devil - and was ALWAYS worn over thick padding. Not to mention the obvious dangers of chain mail dangling down between the legs - resulting in the wedgie to end all wedgies.....

But the new armour just IS NOT HE-MAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Broadly agree - though the chain mail is just downright silly; whoever heard of chain mail and bare legs? The stuff chafes like the devil - and was ALWAYS worn over thick padding. Not to mention the obvious dangers of chain mail dangling down between the legs - resulting in the wedgie to end all wedgies.....

But the new armour just IS NOT HE-MAN!
    Haha, I agree about the chain mail bit, but I'm willing to let something like that slide. Kind of like if a "real" Power sword existed in the proportions it is always shown in, it would weight about 8-10 pounds as opposed to traditional medieval type swords which are between 2.5 and upwards of 4 pounds for large 2 handers.

But I guess that's why He-Man is He-Man

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Meh.

I picked the middle option. Just glad He-Man is out there. You been around long enough and see it go away multiple times you appreciate it just being out there. Unless we're talking Michael Bay type **** of course. I'd rather not see that happen. This is just a DC comic book. Which I consider DC second rate anyways as I was always a Marvel guy.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    NO.

Unless that was Adam in some kind of Battle Gear.... HELL NO! It's not He-man; many have said throughout the years many characters have changed their looks and maybe at times it has served for great stories; but for something at least right now that is trying to grab a new audience for what it's supposed to be and what they will learn is totally different not a wise choice. No offense just look at what NA did for He-man (SORRY GUYS)... This just makes it appear that the 'handlers' have no faith in the original product. IMO

Let's just say i haven't read the story but my proposal for this look would be:
    Since it is no secret anymore that Adam is He-Man and from apparently the dissension of Orko(?) and the aftermath of Skeletor's spell in the DC Mini-Series; a new spell has been cast or is continuously in cast by Orko which limits Adam's ability to transform into He-Man even more. And with the knowledge of his secret identity the target on his back has become as big as Grayskull. But since Adam is the power, he can handle himself a little better now but requires a battle suit created by Duncan with the knowledge of the ancients can allow Adam to hold his own until he has the opportunity to transform.... Has some holes but I think it's better than what I'm seeing so far. If they wanted to put he-man in a suit i would;ve liked that battle armor look he had in the 200x toy line... Battle Sound He-Man
    I agree completely. You have almost echoed my own thoughts after seeing this, word for word. This simply has to be Adam, and not He-Man.
    "Bei der macht von Grayskull, Ich habe die Zauberkraft!"

Snappy Threader
    It doesn't matter to me, I'm just glad the media is out there in comic form. He-Man has had numerous outfits/armors over the years, especially in 200x, so to me it's not a problem.

I dig it..
    i like different takes on characters/outfits/attitudes....... ii like change... and would LOVE to see this ver in MOTUC
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

It just occurred to me, though it involves different companies, the same thing happened to Lion-O in Thundercats. His redesign became an armored design versus the acrobatic(???) gear he originally wore.

Just a thought.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    If you don't like the costume, get ready for a movie redesign
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

Heroic Warrior
    NOPE.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE