Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Club Eternia 2014

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    ...the paranoia with subs is just ridiculous....
    Seriously. No matter what Mattel does (or does not do) it is seen as some type of huge conspiracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Seriously. No matter what Mattel does (or does not do) it is seen as some type of huge conspiracy.
    That's the truth! Seems like some people are looking for things they can get upset about and they'll keep pushing until things do die and then claim they were right the whole time. Personally I'm enjoying things and I don't think there's any real conspiracies other some marketing tactics. I think Scott is doing what he thinks is best to keep things going.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    That's the truth! Seems like some people are looking for things they can get upset about and they'll keep pushing until things do die and then claim they were right the whole time.
    That's the idea. As long as the line continues, I can't complain about how Mattel cruelly killed off a successful line with no problems.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post

Truthfully, there was no sense whatsoever in starting the sub this early. My hope is that there is a really strong showing at SDCC to spur interest, and maybe we can limit the aforementioned drama.
    I think it makes sense Mr. Dragon. Even sight unseen, the longer the subs are available, the better. It maximizes the potential for more sales. At the very least, it couldn't hurt to have them available for two months instead of for three weeks, which is why I was personally all for it in that episode of RGD.

As for knowing which characters people are getting in the sub, that's easy. Gather round. I have a special "recipe" that I recently shared with some friends.

Here it is:

DELICIOUS MOTUC RECIPE

Take all figures from vintage MOTU and add all figures from vintage POP.
    Remove some of the variants and put aside for possible use in 2016.
    Carefully mix in top Filmation and NA characters.
    Sprinkle in a smattering of MYP and mini comic top picks, probably 2-4 of them.
    Stir.
    Divide in half and bake at 378 degrees (the estimated temperature produced by nerdrage).
    Viola! You get half of those in 2014 and the other half in 2015!
    Serve hot or cold as you like! Yum!

Sub away kids! I want me some MOTUC slices in 2014 and 2015. And leftovers in 2016!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    That's the truth! Seems like some people are looking for things they can get upset about and they'll keep pushing until things do die and then claim they were right the whole time. Personally I'm enjoying things and I don't think there's any real conspiracies other some marketing tactics. I think Scott is doing what he thinks is best to keep things going.
    Its actually going to be funny (hopefully not any time soon) when motuc comes to an end and all the naysayers will be like "What did I tell you???!!! MOTUC was a huge failure" LOL almost 100 6" figures out and a bunch of beasts, giants and castle grayskull coming and it will still be a failure in the eyes of many around here

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    I'm sure if you dig deeper you will find more companies that pre-auth charges for larger than the retail amount.
    Name one. I don't see how they legally have the right to per-authorize for any amount other than the one you agree to.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Name one. I don't see how they legally have the right to per-authorize for any amount other than the one you agree to.
    Gas Stations, Restaurants, Medical related expenses (mostly USA), Hotels, Car Rental Agencies...

It is a very common practice but more often than not the public is not aware of it.

I think Matty might have missed the boat a bit with this early subscription period. What Mattel should have done to maximize early sales was just declare that sales were open and announce that the 2014 Club Exclusive was, say... Two-Bad (or whoever), and to get ready for his reveal at SDCC! That way, there's some news to get people subscribing early and a ton of buzz created for SDCC. Remember how hyped everyone was for SDCC when we knew Battle Cat was going to be there? There's something to be said for giving a tidbit of information as a catalyst for generating talk and excitement.
    Check out my blog, Toy Review Daily: A New Toy Review, 366 Days a Year! http://www.toyreviewdaily.com

Gas Stations, Restaurants, Medical related expenses (mostly USA), Hotels, Car Rental Agencies...

It is a very common practice but more often than not the public is not aware of it.
    Yeah and it's a sucky practice... Sometimes when I get gas (any amount usually around $20) the gas station can hold up to $75 for days on my debit card. To avoid this I have to go into the store and process it through the register so my money doesn't get locked up and become temporarily unusable. So I can vouch first hand that it does in fact happen. But once it all finally clears the overage amount becomes usable again.

Gas stations always pre-charge for $1 which is later replaced with the larger amount. They NEVER charge me more than the authorized amount. Hotels and car rental agencies do authorize deposits, and they get your permission in advance to do so.

No one, to my knowledge, in the US pre-authorizes unauthorized amounts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post
    Yeah and it's a sucky practice... Sometimes when I get gas (any amount usually around $20) the gas station can hold up to $75 for days on my debit card. To avoid this I have to go into the store and process it through the register so my money doesn't get locked up and become temporarily unusable. So I can vouch first hand that it does in fact happen. But once it all finally clears the overage amount becomes usable again.
    What bank do you use? This has NEVER happened to me. I see you're in MA. I used to live there, and get back to visit friends regularly. NO MA gas station has ever done this to me.

Gas stations always pre-charge for $1 which is later replaced with the larger amount. They NEVER charge me more than the authorized amount. Hotels and car rental agencies do authorize deposits, and they get your permission in advance to do so.

No one, to my knowledge, in the US pre-authorizes unauthorized amounts.
    Those were all primarily US examples I was using. It does happen in Canada as well and usually goes down like AuraBoyX related. It has nothing to do with the bank you use, but the business and type of service you are using.

I can't believe we have nay Sayers already and we have months until the window closes. No one thought the subs would've sold through already.

Those were all primarily US examples I was using. It does happen in Canada as well and usually goes down like AuraBoyX related. It has nothing to do with the bank you use, but the business and type of service you are using.
    Well, living in the US I disagree with your three examples. I've never had a gas station charge my card for more than was owed, and I've never seen a hotel or car rental charge a deposit to my account without first discussing the exact amount which they would be putting on hold, and requiring my permission. And yes, I have a vast amount of experience paying for all three on my cards. Charging money on someone's card without permission, even temporarily, is fraud. It's what credit card and bank fraud departments call an "unauthorized charge."
    Last edited by No-Ah; June 26, 2013 at 02:03am.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I think it makes sense Mr. Dragon. Even sight unseen, the longer the subs are available, the better. It maximizes the potential for more sales. At the very least, it couldn't hurt to have them available for two months instead of for three weeks, which is why I was personally all for it in that episode of RGD.
    There's no problem with extending the sub, which is precisely what fans asked for. But extending it with NO revelations to entice anyone until SDCC is a waste, as evidenced by the barely noticeable level the subs have achieved thus far (what, we've filled up a couple of big toes on the meter?). What fans asked for was a longer window AFTER we had some idea of what was coming. THere is no logical reason that Mattel couldn't reveal a couple teasers to get the subs rolling, and then save the rest for SDCC. The obsession with Mattypalooza being the ONLY place such reveals can be made is not smart marketing here. The base of customers is going to see any reveals made on the web whenever they are put up; SDCC is good for catching the attention of potential new folks or people on the fence.

Giving the subs more time: good idea. Giving the subs more time without any hint of what we're getting until the usual date: waste of time.

I do like the recipe, though. Hopefully the cooks at Mattel are paying attention, because that would be a very tasty dish to enjoy for the next two years
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

There's no problem with extending the sub, which is precisely what fans asked for. But extending it with NO revelations to entice anyone until SDCC is a waste, as evidenced by the barely noticeable level the subs have achieved thus far (what, we've filled up a couple of big toes on the meter?). What fans asked for was a longer window AFTER we had some idea of what was coming. THere is no logical reason that Mattel couldn't reveal a couple teasers to get the subs rolling, and then save the rest for SDCC. The obsession with Mattypalooza being the ONLY place such reveals can be made is not smart marketing here. The base of customers is going to see any reveals made on the web whenever they are put up; SDCC is good for catching the attention of potential new folks or people on the fence.

Giving the subs more time: good idea. Giving the subs more time without any hint of what we're getting until the usual date: waste of time.

I do like the recipe, though. Hopefully the cooks at Mattel are paying attention, because that would be a very tasty dish to enjoy for the next two years
    I agree completely. I subbed but i think they should have revealed at least 1 name for each of the subs. They didnt even have to show pictures, just one name to entice people. I wonder though, if they didnt do so to get a grasp of ho wmany people would sub blind.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

WOOHOO! HE-MAN'S BOOTS ARE ON FIRE....the meter moved up again!
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

I just saw that as well! How encouraging. We really are giving this a nice foundation before SDCC. Great job guys!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post

As for knowing which characters people are getting in the sub, that's easy. Gather round. I have a special "recipe" that I recently shared with some friends.

Here it is:

DELICIOUS MOTUC RECIPE

Take all figures from vintage MOTU and add all figures from vintage POP.
    Remove some of the variants and put aside for possible use in 2016.
    Carefully mix in top Filmation and NA characters.
    Sprinkle in a smattering of MYP and mini comic top picks, probably 2-4 of them.
    Stir.
    Divide in half and bake at 378 degrees (the estimated temperature produced by nerdrage).
    Viola! You get half of those in 2014 and the other half in 2015!
    Serve hot or cold as you like! Yum!

Sub away kids! I want me some MOTUC slices in 2014 and 2015. And leftovers in 2016!
    This strangely has me hungry for cake now.......

Nice to see the meter move. Doesn't look like the DC did so that gives me hope that it's not completely random when they decide to change it.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

There's no problem with extending the sub, which is precisely what fans asked for. But extending it with NO revelations to entice anyone until SDCC is a waste, as evidenced by the barely noticeable level the subs have achieved thus far (what, we've filled up a couple of big toes on the meter?).
    actually, doing it this way gives Mattel concrete information. It gives them the number of people that are buying into the line site unseen.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Even if I wanted to Sub, I couldn't. Wallet sez NO! For now, I just cherry pick those I HAVE to have (Ram Man, Icer, etc), and those that fall in my lap (being available and having $ for Jitsu, Frosta, CG-Man, and trading for Fang Man).
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

The meter has actually been updated and it's filled up quite a bit more....still a long way to go before the goal is hit, but I think considering there has been no reveals, I'd say it's doing pretty well.

Well, living in the US I disagree with your three examples. I've never had a gas station charge my card for more than was owed, and I've never seen a hotel or car rental charge a deposit to my account without first discussing the exact amount which they would be putting on hold, and requiring my permission. And yes, I have a vast amount of experience paying for all three on my cards. Charging money on someone's card without permission, even temporarily, is fraud. It's what credit card and bank fraud departments call an "unauthorized charge."
    Wish the rest of us in the US have had your experience. But, I for sure have not. I also never heard that a preauthorization on a card (which is essentially what we are speaking about) is considered fraudulent. But, whatever, not really worth taking up more space in this thread to debate this. On to the sub..

I cannot wait for SDCC and the first reveals of 2014 and the reveals for the rest of 2013!
    Last edited by Shadowcat; June 28, 2013 at 09:23am.
    Craig

My MOTUC most wanted: Angella, Tung Lashor, Mermista, Sssqueeze, Peekablue, Ninjor, Evilseed, and Granita

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    actually, doing it this way gives Mattel concrete information. It gives them the number of people that are buying into the line site unseen.
    To a point. But they are only taking into account people who buy MOTU only. I would buy a MOTUC sub blindly, but I want to buy all my subs together to save on digital river charges. So I'm waiting to see what the DCU exclusive is and if they are revealing any other MOTU flavored subs.
    So it's some information, but probably not as useful as they will make it out to be. Mattel likes to whip out the Mole Hill to Mountain beam gun.

C'mon Mattel graphics team...how bout a meter update baby!