Thread: Clear Mold Making Material

Clear Mold Making Material

Just saw that Smooth-On has a new "clear" mold making compound. I think this would be really helpful for making small pieces where releasing the piece can be tricky. Has anyone used a clear silicone rubber before? I'm curious about it's properties.

Here's the link to info about the material...

Hi,

I use it. I also use their Dragon Skin. It is also sort of clear and very stretchy. You can make 1 piece head molds and push the head through the pouring hole.
    It does get less clear when the mold gets thicker, but you can see it there is a air bubble at the chin or nose for instance.

I dont use unclear silicone anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Hi,

I use it. I also use their Dragon Skin. It is also sort of clear and very stretchy. You can make 1 piece head molds and push the head through the pouring hole.
    It does get less clear when the mold gets thicker, but you can see it there is a air bubble at the chin or nose for instance.

Thanks for the response. Not having to cut the mold is great and being able to catch air bubbles is even better. I'll definitely be picking some of this stuff up.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Hi,

How could you make a 1-piece head mould? You'd still need to cut the mold to get the original piece out.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

i've been looking to try a better mold material. oomoo pretty much sucks. is this better i hope?
    you can see pics of all my projects on my facebook page. facebook.com/don.schomer or email me :athf15683@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    How could you make a 1-piece head mould? You'd still need to cut the mold to get the original piece out.
    the dragon skin he's using is stretchy enough that you can push the head out the pour hole