Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.101!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    The Sorceress dedicated her entire life protecting Castle Grayskull. She gave up her husband, her daughter and any semblance of a normal life. She was forced to live isolated, inside the Castle for many years. She died protecting the Castle and Teela took up the mantle. Was Teela's first act as Sorceress to destroy the Castle, because that didn't take too long.

In the Star Comics, the very last battle between Skeletor and He-Man resulted in the destruction of Castle Grasykull, which was pretty cool. I doubt MOTUC lore will top that.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    the true reason why Castle Grayskull no longer exists when Teela is Queen is because she tells her husband, King He-Man, that "it would look better over there". However he throws it a bit too hard and it ends up in orbit
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    It probably becomes redundant when the power gets transferred to Adam directly before he flies off into space.
    So does that mean that Dare has to call his fathers' name in order to transform into He-Ro II? "By the power of He-Man, I have the power!"

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    The Sorceress dedicated her entire life protecting Castle Grayskull. She gave up her husband, her daughter and any semblance of a normal life. She was forced to live isolated, inside the Castle for many years. She died protecting the Castle and Teela took up the mantle. Was Teela's first act as Sorceress to destroy the Castle, because that didn't take too long.

In the Star Comics, the very last battle between Skeletor and He-Man resulted in the destruction of Castle Grasykull, which was pretty cool. I doubt MOTUC lore will top that.
    The Sorceress did all that but she wasīt the only one Kuduk Ungol is the only one we know by name but there were more excluding Veena since she has been the first one and started the whole protector thing.

But when the Eternia towers reappeared in the mini comics it was established that the Sorceress could leave Castle Grayskull in her human form and use her powers outside of the Castle.

And the other thing is in the original NA story He-Man and Skeletor went to the future and as far as i remember 1000 years into the future thatīs a long time and in that time i think tīs possible that the Castle has been destroyed but now itīs maybe 20 years or so and thatīs very unlikely if you ask me…

PLUS in the original He-Ro-son of He-Man story castle Grayskull looked different but not destroyed.

And this whole Castle Grayskull ruins thing has a parallel to the Sorceress. Before she was released she was killed of in another bio.
    Last edited by Niki; June 6, 2013 at 07:00pm.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Several things:

1) Is it actually Scott who answers these?

2) I understand the reaction and I would be disappointed if they had Castle Grayskull just collapse or whatever... but one response to a question like this does not indicate the actual events in the cannon they have set up. I am sure we will get Scott appearing in the thread soon to make an amendment which says something along the line of:

"Although the physical castle remains in place there was no longer the secret power of the universe within as it had gone with He-man to the stars... and with Skeletor also gone and Hssss and Hordak defeated there was no longer a need for Teela to guard the castle to the same extent as her mother. The Castle Grayskull of old did not exist... and so what was said was true, from a certain point of view"

I don't think that explanation would be too far removed from what I expected with this cannon.

There seems to be this strange contradiction when it comes to people who disagree with Toyguru... they spend most of the time insisting every decision, bio, storyline and explanation he makes is not worth the paper it is typed on, and yet at the same time every single word he says is taken as evidence to be waved and he isn't allowed the benefit of the doubt when it comes to expanding on what he means or intends. I just think we should give him time to clarify what was meant by this before we all lynch the guy.
    Last edited by Jeevesosiris; June 6, 2013 at 07:16pm.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Several things:

1) Is it actually Scott who answers these?

2) I understand the reaction and I would be disappointed if they had Castle Grayskull just collapse or whatever... but one response to a question like this does not indicate the actual events in the cannon they have set up. I am sure we will get Scott appearing in the thread soon to make an amendment which says something along the line of:

"Although the physical castle remains in place there was no longer the secret power of the universe within as it had gone with He-man to the stars... and with Skeletor also gone and Hssss and Hordak defeated there was no longer a need for Teela to guard the castle to the same extent as her mother. The Castle Grayskull of old did not exist... and so what was said was true, from a certain point of view"

I don't think that explanation would be too far removed from what I expected with this cannon.

There seems to be this strange contradiction when it comes to people who disagree with Toyguru... they spend most of the time insisting every decision, bio, storyline and explanation he makes is not worth the paper it is typed on, and yet at the same time every single word he says is taken as evidence to be waved and he isn't allowed the benefit of the doubt when it comes to expanding on what he means or intends. I just think we should give him time to clarify what was meant by this before we all lynch the guy.
    Give Scott the benefit of the doubt? You've read the new minicomics, right????

To the people saying that we should take stock before having a knee-jerk reaction to something like Grayskull gone, I say, mattel should take stock and think before releasing a statement that will obviously have such a knee-jerk reaction. Grayskull is sacred, and although we might no like our characters dying off, we can accept it as part of this great story, knowing that it all happens in the shadow of Grayskull. I wont go into how riduculous the concept of King He-man is or Teela's mess of a bio, but Grayskull is the one solid rock that shoudlnt be messed with and this is one fan that says that anyone who does, never understood or loved the line enough in the first place, if they do so. If only I could do what so many others have done and just stop reading this canon, I would be much happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Trap_Jaw_888 View Post
    To the people saying that we should take stock before having a knee-jerk reaction to something like Grayskull gone, I say, mattel should take stock and think before releasing a statement that will obviously have such a knee-jerk reaction. Grayskull is sacred, and although we might no like our characters dying off, we can accept it as part of this great story, knowing that it all happens in the shadow of Grayskull. I wont go into how riduculous the concept of King He-man is or Teela's mess of a bio, but Grayskull is the one solid rock that shoudlnt be messed with and this is one fan that says that anyone who does, never understood or loved the line enough in the first place, if they do so. If only I could do what so many others have done and just stop reading this canon, I would be much happier.
    I agree completely. The onus is on Mattel to be a responsible steward of the franchise, not on us to quietly accept whatever is thrown our way in the hopes that everything will turn out fine in the long run. At that point the damage is done. Anyways, all signs point to this cannon getting worse and worse - because that's what's been happening since the start of the line. I want to take away Scott's pencil and paper. You don't destroy Grayskull, especially not so soon in the timeline, and ESPECIALLY not in an answer to a WTFWTK question. If you're going to disrespect the entire mythos, at least have it go out with a big old bang. A complete lack of respect and understanding of the mythos.

I think what happened is She-ra and Spector got married, partied a little too hard, and burned the castle down on accident. Whoops!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I agree completely. The onus is on Mattel to be a responsible steward of the franchise, not on us to quietly accept whatever is thrown our way in the hopes that everything will turn out fine in the long run. At that point the damage is done. Anyways, all signs point to this cannon getting worse and worse - because that's what's been happening since the start of the line.
    Do you mean it has been worse and worse since the start of the MOTUC line or since the original line?

As for the mythos, it's been mostly downhill for me since they created New Adventutes. Has anyone seen the horrible design re-brands (from the Power & Honor book) Mattel had in mind for He-Man in the late 80's? Ouch.

200x was a nice re-brand attempt (the best of the bunch by far), but nothing compared to the 80's. I've learned just to ignore most of the updates or new canons, because they're inferior to me. I could come up with something better. You could come up with something better. Maybe I've just given up hope, but it seems nothing is going to come out now that is going to wow us like it did back in the 80's, or whenever we got into Masters of the Universe (if later).

I just love MOTUC because it captures the greatest era of Masters of the Universe. And it has improved lesser eras too (like NA). Kudos to Mattel and the Four Horsemen on that.

But no thanks for all the crappy storytelling. The bios and new canon sounded like a good idea to start with, but have been underwhelming to say the least. If they have justified more (good) figures, I'm fine with that. But it's best to ignore them as any serious canon, they're too ridiculous to take seriously.
    Last edited by The All American; June 7, 2013 at 04:39pm.

Wow...the Grayskull answer is just unbelievable.
    Since there is nothing published about this, I strongly suggest ditching this incredibly stupid idea immediately, and never mentioning it again. The entire franchise is centered around Castle Grayskull. It's the most iconic thing in motu, it's the mysterious place housing the power of the universe. King He-Man should be ruling FROM Castle Grayskull!

Sometimes, the destruction of something can be meaningful, and work. ie: The first Starship Enterprise. But the destruction had a purpose, and they built another Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Wow...the Grayskull answer is just unbelievable.
    Since there is nothing published about this, I strongly suggest ditching this incredibly stupid idea immediately, and never mentioning it again. The entire franchise is centered around Castle Grayskull. It's the most iconic thing in motu, it's the mysterious place housing the power of the universe. King He-Man should be ruling FROM Castle Grayskull!

Sometimes, the destruction of something can be meaningful, and work. ie: The first Starship Enterprise. But the destruction had a purpose, and they built another Enterprise.
    A thousand times this. TG, drop this destroyed Castle Grayskull nonsense while you still can!
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Do you mean it has been worse and worse since the start of the MOTUC line or since the original line?

As for the mythos, it's been mostly downhill for me since they created New Adventutes. Has anyone seen the horrible design re-brands (from the Power & Honor book) Mattel had in mind for He-Man in the late 80's? Ouch.

200x was a nice re-brand attempt (the best of the bunch by far), but nothing compared to the 80's. I've learned just to ignore most of the updates or new canons, because they're inferior to me. I could come up with something better. You could come up with something better. Maybe I've just given up hope, but it seems nothing is going to come out now that is going to wow us like it did back in the 80's, or whenever we got into Masters of the Universe (if later).

I just love MOTUC because it captures the greatest era of Masters of the Universe. And it has improved lesser eras too (like NA). Kudos to Mattel and the Four Horsemen on that.

But no thanks for all the crappy storytelling. The bios and new canon sounded like a good idea to start with, but have been underwhelming to say the least. If they have justified more (good) figures, I'm fine with that. But it's best to ignore them as any serious canon, they're too ridiculous to take seriously.
    I mean since motuc. I don't like na he-man, but I do like 200x very much and the mvc comics. Motu has been a roller coaster, but I can't stand for this escalation of the TG era disrespecting more and more facets of motu. I include DC 52 in the TG era because whether he designed it personally or not it has to go through him as brand manager (plus he's in cahoots with dc anyways).

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    Awww, yeaah!!!

Attachment 85178

This was so funny I have been laughing for days... Pebblass...she's new in town.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://www.he-man.org/publishing/sub...id=52&subid=27

Phantom, the Castle was never destroyed in the NA mini-comics. You can read for yourself in the link I've provided. The power of the universe was transferred from the Castle to the Starship (just like how the Eternia Towers made Grayskull unimportant, Mattel tried to make Starship Eternia the Grayskull of NA). He-Man even wanted to return the power to the Castle, but the Sorceress told him that they were stuck in the future!

Nope, destroying the Castle is all TG this time.

Gahhh your right. I remembered it wrong.

The physical castle was not destroyed... but the power was removed making it irrelevant. He couldn't even change to He-man on the planet anymore... And at the end there, the sorcess says 'we cannot return. The power has been joined together with the future' indicating that the power was staying in the ship.

So, like you said... the ship was the new grayskull. And between the towers and the ship, grayskull was kinda redundant. At least in the 80's...

And Star comics DID blow it up good. That one I'm sure of Right about the time Teela was in charge of it's protection too :P

So maybe he's draggin in some of THAT continuity too.... (of course that LifeLine story was one of the BEST ones I ever read...)

Now I'm curious... does anyone know WHEN the last time Grayskull was mentioned or Skeletor tried to break in from the 80's?

Back in the beginning almost EVERY new mini was about Skeletor tring to get in there with XXXXX as his new minion... Then it stopped.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post

This.

Honestly, I'm as vintage as it comes, but even I can see the downhill slide the original was on.

Look at all the questionable/unpopular decisions the vintage line gave us...

The Horde and Snake men; The horde had potential, but he immediately overshadowed the 'main villains' and made skeletor seem like a loser from then on....

The Three Towers: Made Grayskull redundant. Even letting sorceress out in human form and nobody fought over it anymore...

Meteorbs: nuff Said.

Energy Zoids: Nuff Said...

Powers of Grayskull: honestly, I LIKE me some dinosaurs... but if the story was MEANT to abandon He-man and start focusing only on the past.... then it would have sucked. Like a lot of MOTUC... I'm really tired of the Pre-eternia stuff that they've flooded us with... I can only imagine if they had done it in the 80's

Then we had NA... Which killed the line.

MYP: tried tried to reinvent the wheel... but didn't really 'create' much. They retold the same basic story in a more complex way... but not a lot 'new' there.

Almost anything after the 12 back and the first year of filmation has been met with serious resistance from the fan base.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I mean since motuc. I don't like na he-man, but I do like 200x very much and the mvc comics. Motu has been a roller coaster, but I can't stand for this escalation of the TG era disrespecting more and more facets of motu. I include DC 52 in the TG era because whether he designed it personally or not it has to go through him as brand manager (plus he's in cahoots with dc anyways).
    Honestly, I think TG respects more facets of MOTU then many of the fans do. There is very little of his bio's that are not brought in from elsewhere. He's been very forward about trying to tie in ALL aspects of MOTU...

So far we have had a LOT of PoP, MYP, NA, Prefilmation, and Filmation... Now perhaps a touch of Star Comics... I THINK that's the first place they had Clamp Champ taking a major role. (I don't THINK he was the new MAA in the future... but he was basically doing Duncan's Leading job)

Frankly, As a big fan of the Pre-filmation lore... I've seen a LOT of new directions completely ignore my favorite canon. TG has not done this. He's shown respect for all the previous directions at once...

They don't fit WELL... and frankly a LOT of them i wish he'd ditched completely.... But I can't see him not being 'respectful' of the property when he's including all the things that came before... its' the double edged sword that is called continuity.

Destroying Castle Grayskull, which is arguably the most iconic image from Masters of the Universe would likely be the single worst decision ever made in the history of the brand. I can't see any scenario where it would not have a damaging effect on the property.
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Destroying Castle Grayskull, which is arguably the most iconic image from Masters of the Universe would likely be the single worst decision ever made in the history of the brand. I can't see any scenario where it would not have a damaging effect on the property.
    How about if nobody knew or noticed?

I see He-Man continuity as largely voluntary. For example, I see Man at Arms and Duncan as different people. I started playing with the toys as a kid before the cartoon. Man at Arms seemed like a different person on TV. I now have 2 MAA figures. The first one is holding the techno-power sword and riding Battle-Cat. He has the clean-shaved sculpt. The second has the mustache and the hand-canon. They can destroy Grayskull in their world, but not in mine.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    2. Niki: The original two vintage Comet Warriors who were chosen to be the SDCC 2013 MOTUC exclusive have opened up another new fraction with in MOTUC. In the mini-comic "Escape From The Slime Pit" two others were featured. A yellow/orange/pink female and a green/silver/blue male. What are their names?

Pebblass and Bould-or
    Yeah, right... Is Toyguru really being serious or just trying to mock these characters out of the map? I mean, I get it he was going for "Pebble Lass", but he's a native speaker and it should've been obvious to him that most people's gut reaction will be to parse "Pebblass" as "Pebble Ass". Besides, she's already been named, and more competently and appropriately at that: Quartzina. And as for "Bould-Or", it should simply be Bouldar (in line with "Stonedar" and "Extendar"), as the hyphen there is as unwarranted as it would've been in "Stoned-Or" or "Extend-Or".

BTW, I know the odds look rather bleak, but I do hope we eventually get to see (Filmation) Granita+Facet and (minicomic) Quartzina+Bouldar packs sometime in the future, as well as (vintage) Heroic Meteorbs and (vintage) Evil Meteorbs packs (maybe as 35th-anniversary SDCC exclusives in 2017?). That would nicely round up the Rock People faction, and Granita and Quartzina could reuse the Stonedar and Rokkon rock parts, while Facet and Bouldar would allow some reuse of the new teenage-sized bucks needed for 200X Teela and 200X Adam.

Conceptually, I like to see Granita as Stonedar's wife, and Quartzina as Rokkon's wife, but I'm hesitant about whether the teens Facet and Bouldar should be siblings or friends. I've always thought of Stonedar as older than Rokkon, so one possibility would be to make him Rokkon's father, and in this scenario Facet and Bouldar would be siblings, and all six characters would be part of one same family. The other scenario would have the couples Stonedar & Granita and Rokkon & Quartzina simply as close friends, and their respective children Facet and Bouldar as mutual romantic interests.

Scenario A ("one big family")

Stonedar & Granita (grandparents) ---> Rokkon & Quartzina (parents) ---> Bouldar & Facet (teenaged children)

Scenario B
    ("best-friend couples")

Stonedar & Granita (parents) ---> Facet (daughter)
    Rokkon & Quartzina (parents) ---> Bouldar (son)

Stonedar & Granita <-- (friends) --> Rokkon & Quartzina
    Facet <-- (friends/romantic interests) --> Bouldar

3. Shokoti's Slave: How is it possible for Teela to become both the Queen of Eternia as well as the new Sorceress of Grayskull

Her mother had to sever all ties like relationships in order to protect the power inside of Grayskull. How can Teela not have to do the same? She can't exactly protect Grayskull from the Royal Palace. Castle Grayskull no longer exists by the time Teela is Queen.
    Reducing the cornerstone of the brand to an irrelevant and forgotten pile of rubble, and announcing it in the most unceremonious way possible, makes Scott look definitely not like a real "fan" of MotU. He's been disrespecting the brand by killing off the most central aspects of the mythos so as to replace them with his own "Spector and the Masters of the Universe" version. And his knowledge of the MotUverse is substandard for a self-proclaimed fan (let alone for someone currently in charge of the brand, who should be among the most knowledgeable rather then someone who needs frequent instruction about many aspects of it).

Getting rid of Grayskull sounds like the ultimate insult towards the MotU fandom. I don't care if it may have been tried before (in some obscure NA bible or somesuch), it's not been tried in this potentially "earth-shattering" way (the MotUC toyline is arguably the biggest thing to happen to the brand since the early vintage/Filmation "boom" years), and certainly not been framed within Teela's lifetime. It is very well-established in the preexisting mythos that she's predestined to be the next Sorceress. But now she's going to be left with no Grayskull throne to sit in? And just what exactly is the marketing point of conceptually annihilating Grayskull right before its commercial release?

Teela just cannot marry Adam and take Marlena's place, no matter if a romantic interest between Teela and Adam has been strongly hinted before. In fact, this conundrum—that she needs to renounce her personal feelings for the sake of a greater responsibility—is a very interesting plot point that is very well in line with Filmation's exploration of the main characters' ethical depths, and it should have been pursued in the MotUC bios if TG were really serious about MotU, instead of giving us this bloodthirsty-muscle-jock-"King He-Man"-marries-scantily-clad-hot-babe-Teela-and-everyone-else-but-The-Flighty-Mighty-Spector-dies-at-the-hands-of-genocidal-Orko-and-Castle-Grayskull-is-destroyed crap.

5. jibernish: Can you tell us about the decision making process that went into making Teela so sexually provocative looking in the new DC Comics? Was it Mattel's idea or DC's idea? Was it approved? Teela has never had super powers like many MOTU characters. Her formidability comes from her inner strength and iron will. Seeing her dress this way, especially to go into battle, is in direct opposition to one of her most prominent character traits. It's an especially interesting decision given that He-Man, a warrior with exponentially greater physical powers and less need for body armor, has been sheathed head to toe in armor.

You would need to ask DC about this. The team behind MOTUC is only working on the Classics toy line. The MOTU comic is an initiative from DC and their interpretation of the MOTU universe. We can’t comment on aspects of the franchise outside of the toy line in these sessions.
    A very insightful and highly relevant question that, as expected, has been refused an answer. And no, I don't even for a moment believe that TG/Mattel have had no input whatsoever into the new DC incarnation. They're the franchise licensor and have a veto power they've been known to use. Their interference with the creative freedom of the script writer is probably one of the main obstacles why a new movie remains in development hell. And TG is known to not let anyone near the MotUC bios, so as to be the one shaping the future of the brand to his own taste. I have little doubt that the gratuitously violent, machoistically hypersexualized, shallow-as-a-shower shock-value direction of the new DC comics has been, at least, encouraged by Mattel, if not explicitly requested. It's too suspiciously in line with the kind of crap we're getting in the MotUC bios for there not to be any connection.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

The iconic and powerful Castle Grayskull is non existent in the future but the Time Agent's Supah Kewl HQ is! Way to go TG, you sure know how to write 'em!

But really, I don't take in storyline answers from a Q&A as written in stone material. Heck I don't take in 90% of the bios at all! Any Q&A response is really unofficial fan fic (even from the writer) as long as its not printed in the bios or mini-comics, just like TG deems as fan fic any storyline any other writer has written up before him that was not officially released.

And if it helps even further, make any part of these ever changing stories "unofficial" in your own way by not believing in such terrible ideas as they're all different multiverses of the same thing. Like in Marvel and DC, Motu has its multiple universes you can look into:

Vintageverse, Filmationverse, the Movie World, NA-verse , Eternia-200x, TG world, and Motu-52....plus the more important one of all - your own MOTUverse, where you can blend in any and all aspects from each one, even unofficial "pitched ideas".

That's how I still enjoyed Marvel stories like the Ultimate Marvel, MC2 (A-Next), Marvel Zombies, the movies (mostly), the varied toons, etc.
    Just my 3 cents.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!