View Poll Results: How long have you been actively collection MOTU, without taking time away?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've been actively buying all or most MOTU figures since the 1980s

36 35.29%
  • I've been actively buying all or most MOTU figures since the1990s

7 6.86%
  • I've been actively buying all or most MOTU figures since the 200X line

25 24.51%
  • Since 2008

9 8.82%
  • Since 2009

4 3.92%
  • Since 2010

4 3.92%
  • Since 2011

4 3.92%
  • Since 2012

10 9.80%
  • Since 2013 (This year.)

3 2.94%
  • I no longer collect MOTU figures

0 0%
  • Masters of the what now???

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long have you been here?

Crita! Yes! Yes! Yes! The All American's Avatar
    Been in since I was a toddler in the 80's.

NA was the only line I didn't collect, but my sister and I did get two figures from that line on clearance back in the day (Butthead and Artilla).

While I liked 200x and the stactions, MOTUC is what reminded why I love Masters of the Universe so much. The last few years has been a renaissance.

not a fair question to me. I'm often broke, or cant find what I'm looking for.

As a kid, all over it. never really knew about NA. Was gaga over 200x bringing it back, and I collected alot of it, though I couldnt find alot of things to finish off what I wanted.

But I would say whenever they have things to buy, I buy. I have been consistantly obsessively collecting MOTUC, so count it that way if you want.

But MOTU has been my favourite thing since childhood. Just not always a line to support, or I was unaware of NA at the time more or less.

I want to vote 200x, but I never wanted to buy "everything" or even "most" because I am not a big fan of variants in 200x. And I didnt particularly like the snakemen in 200x. Or stactions. Would have prefered figures. But yeah, I collected it, hunted it, watched it, read it, collected, ect. But not "all or most". None of the vehicles (didnt really like 'em). Alot. I feel I was definately a major fan.

I cant vote. As I said, I've always had this as my thing, it just wasnt always there as a thing to be able to collect, or I was broke.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Lifelong but there has been some temporary interruptions. My personal story...

I was born right around the same time as MOTU figures were hitting the market. They were my favorite toys as far back as I can remember. I had more MOTU than ANY other thing I "collected" back then. The Filmation cartoon is what really reeled me in. I think I was going on 2 when that came out? The He-Man mini comics probably helped me start reading. I probably ran around in my underroos with a plastic He-Man sword and shield for most of the 1980s. I remember my mom and dad going to see Predator as well as the MOTU movie. My dad was really sick (wasted?) and threw up in the movie theatre bathroom. This is probably why Predator is my all time favorite movie. I also probably shouldn't have seen that type of movie being that young at the time, but whatever, I'm sure I've seen a lot worse things on tv and even in reality by then anyways. I always had a tv, vcr, and even a cheater box (remember those?) in my room as a kid. I used to stay up all night watching things I probably shouldn't, but I always loved my VHS tapes of cartoons most of all. Always been a night person/insomniac because of this.

The first hiatus I took was due to New Adventures. When that came out, I moved away from MOTU. It was still held in high regard in my heart and mind, but I moved on to TMNT, G.I. Joe, and such in the late 80s. One day, my mom let some younger kids she was babysitting play with all my stuff in my toy box. I quickly realized that they were ****ing them up. I was instantly ****** and confiscated everything. My original He-Man was a casualty of this. His legs were gone and I wont ever forget that. I was scarred. This most likely produced the toy problem that I developed as a young adult into adulthood. I've seen MOTU figures at garage sales and flea markets during the early 90s and the love was still there, just dormant. I always had my figures boxed up and well taken care of after that one traumatic moment. Some were even on display in my room then the entire time and never went away. Webstor, for example, was one of my favorites. He was always hanging around. Same with Stonedar and Rokkon. I had them in rock form on my desk. I even remember searching for MOTU in the mid-late 90s and finding what little He-Man info I could. Remember Adam Tyner's He-Man site?

It wasn't until I met one of my very best friends in high school around that same time who was into A LOT of the same stuff as me when the nostalgia REALLY struck. What actually set it off was we were at a rave/party and they had this mini-theatre-like room. I went in there and sat down for some reason (I was on all kinds of stuff for this event) and looked at the screen and all of a sudden, the Filmation He-Man cartoon intro started. MIND. BLOWN. Not just from my drug use, but from MAJOR nostalgia. It wasn't long after that I started lurking this here forums/site a lot more regularly and decided to register to post shortly afterwards (Jan 2001?). This event is what really set me off getting back into MOTU and my love of 80s properties/toys in general. We brought our mini comics to school and talked MOTU/memories during study hall and such. We busted out our old VHS tapes and watched them while we were high, trippin and such (Watching the Filmation cartoon when you are trippin, is truly a magical time). That was a hell of a time period in the late 90s there.

THEN in the early 2000s I was working at Toys R Us and stumbled upon the Commemorative MOTU figures. Think this was late 2001? This is what turned me into an "adult collector". I instantly bought them all. This was like during my first few days working at Toys R Us too. Talk about timing. I put that store discount to use immediately and cleaned out ALL of the commemorative MOTU figures. I still have them all on my wall. Hard to believe this was what, 12 years ago already?! Then I really started keeping up on things. Had a subscription to Toyfair Magazine, started visiting comic shops, and stuff like that. Then the 200x stuff started happening and I was in deep after that. Working at Toys R Us at the time. Being influenced by others who grew up with the same good stuff as me. I was like an addict in the hood with a constant supply streaming into my veins. We'd be hitting up stores, flea markets, going on road trips just for this purpose. Yeah, this was before I had too many bills and gas didn't cost $4-5 a gallon. The only hiatus that happened since then was a couple years after the stations died off. I kinda moved around a bit, dealt with whorrible girlfriends, had some issues and such. I've gotten over that stuff and was back in time for the beginning of MOTUC though and here we are 5 going on 6 years later already!

I've grown to appreciate a lot in my past 12 years registered on here. I love our fandom and everyone in it. Even the constant Complain-Ors. They give me material to laugh at and catch phrases to utilize.

-=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    This is something I'm really curious about. I know that most (all) of us man-children bought He-Man as kids, but at some point we took a break and did other things. I'm wondering when you came back and became an active collector of MOTUC or even earlier. I mean, how long have you been keeping up on all the news and buying, if not all, a sizable portion of all the MOTU figures being produced?
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I started in 1982 and never stopped.
    Here, here! I've collected ever since I saw two guys who looked even more ripped than Superman punching it out on one of the earliest commercials. I got my MOTU figures on Christmas of 1981 or 1982 and after I read Vengeance of Skeletor I was hooked. MOTU started a lifelong love of fantasy art and barbarians for me. I continued to collect through Filmation, the 1987 movie and Powers of Grayskull, but the line ended. In 1989 I was thrilled to see that He-Man had returned in New Adventures, so I didn't mind the brand continuing on with the space gimmick.

After NA ended in 1992, no more product came out. I remember reading about the commemorative line in Toyfare and after I grabbed those reissues (which reprinted the mini-comics), 200X was announced. It was a dream come true--McFarlane sculptors were doing He-Man characters with unique sculpts. It was during this period that I discovered the .org and downloaded Val's SDCC pics of the new figures. I started posting around the the time of the stactions, but not very often. I started posting full-time when Classics came out and the Era Wars started. I was a major fan of the 200X canon and redesigns and aggressively fought hard for 200X versions of the characters.

I'm AMAZED to see that nearly a third of all the voters so far say they've been collecting since the 1980s without taking any time off.
    That's because if Mattel had kept on releasing MOTU product, we would have kept on collecting.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr Sagitar Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn 200X Prince Adam 200X Sorceress Ninjor Tung Lashor Sssqueeze Angella Perfuma Mermista Evilseed (MYP)

Crita! Yes! Yes! Yes! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    Lifelong but there has been some temporary interruptions. My personal story...
    Awesome story, Count! A lot of high and lows. Actually, just a lot of highs.

Amazing how long MOTU has been a part of our lives, and how intertwined it is with our deep memories/experiences.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Awesome story, Count! A lot of high and lows. Actually, just a lot of highs.

I feel like I've told my story at least a dozen times on here over the past dozen years.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Amazing how long MOTU has been a part of our lives, and how intertwined it is with our deep memories/experiences.
    I agree. It's amazing how I can remember certain random things from nearly 30 years ago but can't remember last week.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I'm AMAZED to see that nearly a third of all the voters so far say they've been collecting since the 1980s without taking any time off.
    My mom is a fan of the sword and sorcery genre, particularly Conan the Barbarian and Red Sonja. She introduced me to Masters of the Universe when it debuted, even though I was very young. I began collecting everything Masters of the Universe, and when she introduced me to He-Man's twin sister, She-Ra, and I began collecting everything Princess of Power as well. Masters the Universe: The Motion Picture bridged me seamlessly to New Adventures of He-Man, and when that ended, I discovered the Guardians of Grayskull list, and eventually He-Man.org. From there, I further explored the Powers of Grayskull and He-Ro: The Son of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, then the commemorative series was launched, and the 2002 series followed. I have been a lifelong fan of Masters of the Universe without taking a break, long after it stopped being "cool," and others moved on to other things.

Only been on the .org since Jan of this year, but I've been into MOTU since it originally launched. I was 3 when the first commercials of the toys hit the tube. I used to call him Me-Man for some reason till my older brother corrected me. This was pre Filmation, and I couldn't read yet, but I remember staring at the original 4 mini comics and soaking in the art. It felt so dark and heavy, not like the Filmation cartoon that would later come. Don't get me wrong, I still loved Filmation when I finally saw it, but it was the art in those comics that my imagination would harken back to when I got older. I Collected the original line for many years and my last original figure was Extendar.

New Adventures came, and I couldn't stomach it at all. No toys for me, never watched the toon.

Never collected anything MOTU till the commemorative edition, but I didn't forget MOTU. The art in those early mini comics had been burnt into my brain, and since I had every intention of pursuing an art career, in high school art class, I drew all kinds of He-man pics. Mostly trying to recapture the barbaric Alcala inspired stuff. I never became a professional artist, but I never stopped drawing for myself, my friends, family and the occasional job by word of mouth.

So I collected the commemorative line and 200x, but got sick of the varients and quit. All this time I never searched for a fan site online. It never occured to me that enough people would be into MOTU for something like this to exist. I never even knew about the stactions.

Then, in Fall of 2012, I was bored at a conference for work one day and started drawing a picture of He-man and Battlecat. The guy next to me leans over and says "Thats cool, I used to play with them when I was a kid." We chatted a little and it sparked me to look on Amazon for a He-man tee shirt and some of the Classics toys came up.

That's it! I was done. Been playing catch up ever since. I Obviously found this site and love reading other people's thoughts.

One of my earliest memories is my dad bringing He-man, Skeletor and Man-At-Arms home for me one day. Since then I have been collecting pretty much non stop. Even in times of no new releases I would get the odd vintage toys I didn't have that I'd see at car boot sales in the 90s and ebay during the space between 200X and classics.

I'm wondering when you came back and became an active collector of MOTUC or even earlier. I mean, how long have you been keeping up on all the news and buying, if not all, a sizable portion of all the MOTU figures being produced?
    The 200X cartoon and toy line is what brought me back, but I never really lost interest in it. It's just that there was nothing going on all that time.

Also, I love the stories where somebody's parents introduced them to MOTU. That's just cool!
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    The 200X cartoon and toy line is what brought me back, but I never really lost interest in it. It's just that there was nothing going on all that time.
    ^Pretty much this.

I had every vintage MOTU toy except for 9 pieces in the 80's. I had 5-6 NA figures in the 90's (Idky). I had a 90%+ complete MOC & loose 200X figure collection. I currently have multiples of most regular MOTUC toys- only thing completely missing is Granamyr.

My heart has been with He-Man since I was watching the cartoons when I was 5, collected original line, wanted new adventures but didn't get them, excited in 200X and blown away when classics arrived. Has been one of the best lines I have ever collected.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Personal fandom: Ever since I was a wee lad. My first memory of getting a figure was picking Whiplash at a general store or something. I feel like this was my first figure and first anything MOTU. I don't know if that's actually true. We moved a lot as a kid so remembering which house or where the furniture was set up in my memories helps me figure out exactly when I got everything. So I can confidently say I started getting toys in about 83 (3 yeras old), which is a little weird because that means the bulk of my getting figures and watching cartoons comes in later waves, but I don't remember seeing She-Ra until I was 9 or 10. The movie came our right in the middle of my being into MOTU. I guess stores around me had a lot of old backstock. I got Grayskull when I was in the first grade, which would have been way after Eternia even came out. But I had Snake Mountain for years at that point.

Internet community fandom: I think I stumbled on the mailing list at the tail end of its activity. Back then, He-Man.org was a landing page with links to two separate fan sites (like this link on the Web Archive! I don't know why my forum join date is so late; I've definitely been visiting the Org ever since it actually became a real site instead of a link to two separate sites. I think I visited Tyner's site even before then, but I can't recall for sure. Anyway, I was a daily user of the message board since before the Commemorative line through 200X. At that point I felt the board was becoming a little too nasty, with a large group of people dancing on the grave of 200X.

Technically the "without a break" part started with the 200X line. I mean I can't really call the 80's a time when I was "collecting." It was more like "whatever mom and dad got me." I asked for things, but I can't remember what, and often times they just bought things in my line of interest 'cause they thought I'd like it (I got a bunch of C.O.P.S. stuff one time and I don't remember asking for them, but BOY were they right about those choices! Even knew to get me the one with the robot dog).

Anyway, I know the NA toyline was all geeking out even though I hadn't even hit ten yet - but I still can't call that "collecting" because it was all based on when we went to TRU. I don't remember seeing them anywhere else but TRU and that wasn't a frequent trip or anything. I only got a few NA figures, though I probably would have gotten more if I had the chance.

200X was the real thing that lit the fire full force. I was collecting toys by that point and I had been anticipating them from the article in an issue of Toyfare. Saw them (international versions) first at a comic shop and lost my marbles a bit; paid the slightly higher comic-shop-price just to get my hands on He-Man and Skeletor as soon as I saw them. From that point on I was pretty much sold, and when the line died I tried to take advantage of clearances 'n such (when I wasn't just finding Smash Blade He-Man in droves. Managed to at least snag Man-E-Faces and Buzz-Off during those times).

This carried directly over to the MotUC line, 'cause when I saw the prototype at whatever toy show that was, I hunted down information like a wolf. I wasn't happy with the 20 dollar price point at the time, but it certainly didn't hold me back. Rest is history!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Well as Alexx said above, I can't really call it collecting in the 80's... although I guess I did force my parents to buy me all the figures (I never had Ninjor, Randor, Scareglow or the Sorceress though) and they are a huge part of my childhood. My mum still has photo's of me clutching Roboto for dear life at a wedding.

I collected the NA toys and remember particularly liking the vehicles and the space mutants but I really hated that they were out of scale with the vintage line. I guess after NA came and went my love for He-man lay dormant until 200X came around and I loved the show. I thought it was well written, well animated and clearly a project of love. I really liked all the changes and design choices with characters and so bought all the toys without question - which is I guess where I became a collector. I picked up a few of the stations after this and starting lurking on this site around that time (I am a good lurker)

Then I spotted a pixel Dan review for Skeletor and was hooked. At the time I think Hordak was just being released so I had to catch up with the already released figures and then over the years have bought pretty much everything. I am not a completest really... but the 4HM rarely produce something that I don't love so I think I have all the figures except for a small handful.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Snappy Threader
    Since the 80's with no time off. Sure there were some lean times, but I never lost interest and I was always on the lookout for new items.

I loved it in the 80's but I wasn't doing the buying then. Wasn't until before commemorative reissues and 200x came around that I actively sought out vintage figures and 200x when they began to come out. I'd love to say 'since the 80's' but really I didn't think too much about He-Man from '87-ish to 2000 or so.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

I had all the vintage figures and when NA He-Man came out I followed the toys very closely, but didn't have the money to buy them. I would have if I could have. I wasn't sure how to answer really. I had more money by the time 200x came out and bought a majority of them but MOTUC took me completely by surprise. I had no idea the line existed until 2011.

As a kid I didn't collect obviously, but I tried to get them all so I could have epic battle sessions and I came pretty close. I only missed out on Twistoid and Ninjor. Actually I never even knew they existed until I found this community so I thought as a child that I had them all.

I didn't collect toys.

I didn't start collecting MOTUC until I was directed to mattycollector from some random site I was reading that had a Ghostbusters ad on the side bar for new action figures. Since this is one of my favorite movies I clicked over and then saw that they were selling newly visioned Masters of the Universe figures! By that time I was about 4 figures behind and I haven't looked back since. (except for the star sisters)

I voted from 2008 since I didn't like NA and I only bought He-Man and Skeletor during the 2000 series.

I started collecting MOC figures after I saw the 200X cartoon for the first time while I was in Vegas in the hotel room getting ready to go to a club. I skipped the club and watched the cartoon instead. After I hot back, I bought every 200X figure I could find. I had a complete MOC collection until the MOTUC came out. Then I sold my chase He-Man and Skeletor to fund my MOTUC collection. I havent stopped since. I have all the AP atatues and the door that we got with them as well. I still have most of my vintage MOTU toys i had when I was a kid too. ALthoguh, I let my kids play with them and now some are broken.

I started back in the 80's. The only time I didn't is when I passed on all the NA stuff, I just was never really into that. So after that gap I got back into it when I was able to get some of my 80's favorites carded on ebay. Then not long after that the reissues came out, then 200x, the stactions, and now classics! I would love to enter that contest on matty with a picture of my entire collection, I just need to figure how I'm going to set it all up.

Active again since 200X, but I'm a lifelong fan!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I started back with Tri-Klops, in August 2009.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Crita, MYP Evilseed, Tung Lashor, Queen Angela & Lodar

I was hooked on MOTU from the beginning as child, absolutely hated the NA toys/cartoon and I came back to it again through the 200X cartoon. Although I did not discover the 200X series or toys until after it ended, I loved what was done with the franchise during this era. The 200X cartoon started a domino effect for me, led me to the fantastic MVC comics and MOTUC. I never realized how powerful nostalgia can be until MOTUC, its really been great.