Thread: Shezow Controversy

Shezow Controversy

Movie Bob weighs in on the controversy surrounding this new series coming to The Hub.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    There's certainly worse shows on that network, and this is the one people are getting offended by?

Though I wonder if Hasbro/Hub bothered to review it first? They could've just snagged a cheap property. Or were hoping for controversy... the thing with bronies is, they usually just watch the show on Youtube or torrent it. Hasbro barely markets merch to them so MLP isn't doing as well as it could. TF Prime was their big thing with the movie's writers heading it but MLP grew bigger, and Hasbro didn't want that. The network barely floats and it's funny they have to air cartoons which have tie-in toy lines being made by competing companies, but even if you put every Hasbro show on there, you'd not come close to filling a day's schedule and most of the people who want to watch their older shows would just buy them on DVD anyway.

I wonder if we'll be getting the sailor stars episodes now lol!
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

saw the show mentioned on facebook somewhere. I don't care as long as the show remains lighthearted. I do understand there is an episode where the kid 'comes out' to his parents about his being a superhero, which could be done with any superhero to their parents in a show like this. Also from my understanding they never said the kid changes physical genders just clothing.

Just keep fanservice out of the show and it won't be a problem in my opinion.

watching the first episode I have more of a problem with 'Shut the front door,' and 'what the ship.'
    Last edited by wyldman11; June 5, 2013 at 03:55pm.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    I saw the first episode and I thought well the Japanese have been doing this for a while and better. I also thought that it was both feminist propaganda and sexist towards woman at the same time. Then I thought well it is still less annoying then Jonny Test. Finally I thought if they were going to turn the main character into a girl could they at least change his voice into a girl's voice.

Some people have a lot of time on their hands to get wound up over a CARTOON!!!!
    My post count just got bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    I saw the first episode and I thought well the Japanese have been doing this for a while and better. I also thought that it was both feminist propaganda and sexist towards woman at the same time. Then I thought well it is still less annoying then Jonny Test. Finally I thought if they were going to turn the main character into a girl could they at least change his voice into a girl's voice.
    From my understanding the only physical change that happens to him is his hair gets longer. The creator has said he is just wearing a female superhero costume.

I also had the same reaction I did with Johnny Test, this show has a good idea and could be really fun to watch but they tried too hard to make it to where only six year olds will want to watch it.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

i think the premise of this show sounds funny and not controversial

also I LOVE Johnny Test and think that you lot don't know a good cartoon when you see one
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    i think the premise of this show sounds funny and not controversial

also I LOVE Johnny Test and think that you lot don't know a good cartoon when you see one
    Johnny Test is Awesome....and this show looks pretty entertaining as well.

Heroic Warrior
    Johnny Test is horrible, it is just a rip off of Dexter's Lab with two female Dexters and a male Dee Dee and good cartoons would be Young Justice, Thundercats(2011), Green Lantern animated series, Kim Possible, W.i.t.c.h., Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Powerpuff Girls, Justice League, Teen Titans(early 2000's version), The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, He-Man(2002), and Dexter's Lab.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Though I wonder if Hasbro/Hub bothered to review it first? They could've just snagged a cheap property. Or were hoping for controversy... the thing with bronies is, they usually just watch the show on Youtube or torrent it. Hasbro barely markets merch to them so MLP isn't doing as well as it could. TF Prime was their big thing with the movie's writers heading it but MLP grew bigger, and Hasbro didn't want that.
    Any 'MLP' merchandise aimed at the 'bronies' can be found at Hot Topic.

Johnny Test is horrible, it is just a rip off of Dexter's Lab with two female Dexters and a male Dee Dee.
    You said it. 'Dexter' will always be superior to 'Johnny Test'.

sure Johnny Test has some similarities to Dexter's Lab and the name is not totally unlike Johnny Quest

Still a great show tho.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Johnny Test is horrible, it is just a rip off of Dexter's Lab with two female Dexters and a male Dee Dee and good cartoons would be Young Justice, Thundercats(2011), Green Lantern animated series, Kim Possible, W.i.t.c.h., Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Powerpuff Girls, Justice League, Teen Titans(early 2000's version), The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, He-Man(2002), and Dexter's Lab.
    Hmm...would you add Samurai Jack to that list?
    MOTU Vintage Visual Figure Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

MOTUC from Vintage Visual Checklist *Updated link - major thanks to motuportugal*

My Feedback Thread

People are getting their panties in a twist about this? Time to lighten up, there are real issues in the world.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Heroic Warrior
    Yes I would add Samurai Jack, and also Danny Phantom, Scooby Doo Mystery Inc., Dungeons and Dragons, Jem and the Holograms, Swat Kats, The Tick, Jonny Quest(1960's), Pirates of Darkwater, Galaxy High, Mighty Max, Wolverine and the X-men, X-men Evolution, Batman Beyond, Batman animated series, Megus XLR, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, and Superman animated series.
    Last edited by Dragon78; June 7, 2013 at 07:30pm.

Don't really care for Dexter's Lab myself. I do enjoy Johnny Test though. Also a fan of many of the ones you listed...but would have to add Count Duckula in the mix. Anyway, I'm looking forward to checking out Shezow and think that the whole controversy is just ridiculous

Heroic Warrior
    I agree that the controversy is ridiculous but the show itself is still not all that interesting.

I also will add Count Duckula, My Little Pony: FiM, Garfield and Friends, Sonic the Hedgehog(90's more adult version), Rocko's Modern Life, Aaah! Real Monsters, Tiny Toon Adventures, Ducktales, Animaniacs, Gummi Bears, Freekazoid, Darkwing Duck, and The Chipmunks(80's).

Snagglepuss made kids gay. Barney made kids gay. tinky winky made kids gay. rainbows make people gay. the absence of UFC on the tv and a diet rich in ale and beernuts makes little boys run into their moms closets and smear on glitter and lipstick. all gay men cross dress. all lesbians wish they could pee standing up. LGBT people are destroying America!

South Beach Tow Wars, Jersey Shore and World Worst Tenants is the quality entertainment that will set everything right in America! where is my He-Man eye rolling until he throws up on himself smilie?

I mean wow, if conservatives are getting this bent outta shape over a cartoon...imagine how they'd react if THIS Super "heroine" form the Philippines ever saw the light of day in America, even just in comic book form

I'd watch it, I may not be into the whole transgendered colture, but this looks like fun tongue n' cheek nonsense, and the CGI is surprisingly good when interacting with the live actors, something the Sy-Fy network should really get better at (even if it still looks cheap).
    Visit my art page at: http://theblock.deviantart.com/ , if you like my work and have an account there to, feel free to fave or watch me, I could use the street cred !

My new chant: Lets go NA MARA, spike-flail pon-y-tail

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    It sounds like the whole cross-dressing part is done mainly for comedic effect, which is a long standing thing in many parts of the entertainment media. The folks objecting here must go into fits of outright rage every time TCM shows "Some Like It Hot" or "Tootsie."

And how can anyone not add Darkwing Duck to the list of great toons? With the great voice acting and timing of the hilarious Jim Cummings in the title role and some great scripts lampooning many aspects of the super-hero genre (the two-parter with the Justice Ducks made me laugh so hard I literally hurt my side), it's a classic.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    I did say Darkwing Duck you must have not looked very well on my list.