Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New Poll by Mattel - Do you want the new DCU Comic MOTU as figures?

I voted no - while the odd figure may turn out nice, at this point I just want to complete the vintage figs and be done.

This is the sort of thing that I could see popping up as an SDCC or travelling exclusive further down the road.

I think instead of this poll Mattel would have been better producing DC He-Man as a con exclusive (in addition to a regular MOTUC exclusive!) and seeing how well it sold. They could even have just put a single sculpted figure in the display case at SDCC and seen what the reaction was.

What does Mattel intend to do with the New 52 DC figures in a 2-pack? I would fully expect straight repaints for those and at $25 each that would be a huge rip-off considering they are sold for $16-18 individually in stores right now.

Heroic Warrior Fearless Arriflex's Avatar
    This won't likely happen. Matty just wants to keep busy discussing our needs in the line, while there are no real news about new figures right now. Nice try, but please tease me more, Matty. My excitement is a bit low!
    MOTUC Most Wanted:
    Sagitar - Tuskador - Saurod - Mermista - The Crimson Fury - Entrapta - Kittrina - Artilla - Sssqueeze - Garth - Vultak - Dylamug - Lodar - Ninjor - Admiral Scurvy

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    No where in that poll does it say ANYTHING about these being part of the main sub, so why people freaking out like 2014 subs is going to be DC MOTU figures and even if its an add on sub of its own, it still doesnt affect the main sub.
    Eamon and I were talking about this earlier. Mattel hasn't clarified. And people have been asking questions and no specifics have been revealed. So I understand the fear.

If this is a separate line, funded by resources not connected to MOTUC, I'm on board with this.
    But if it takes away from MOTUC at all, then no. I'm not on board for it.

And I fear it does take away from MOTUC. I speculate this because the DCUC line got the bare minimum subscriptions to keep it going another year. It's hanging on for dear life. MOTUC was on the chopping block last time as well but we made it through. So it doesn't make sense that Mattel would put more money into a new subline that puts together two brands that individually are having trouble, for a comic book that isn't exactly tearing up the sales charts.

Hopefully I'm wrong and this is a separate project with a separate budget. But if it was, I don't think Mattel would be asking if we want it. I think they'd just go ahead and produce it because it has its own resources. So I think the fears are valid that this DCU MOTUC comic subline would affect other MOTUC sublines and figure slots.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Eamon and I were talking about this earlier. Mattel hasn't clarified. And people have been asking questions and no specifics have been revealed. So I understand the fear.

If this is a separate line, funded by resources not connected to MOTUC, I'm on board with this.

And I fear it does take away from MOTUC. I speculate this because the DCUC line got the bare minimum subscriptions to keep it going another year. It's hanging on for dear life. MOTUC was on the chopping block last time as well but we made it through. So it doesn't make sense that Mattel would put more money into a new subline that puts together two brands that individually are having trouble, for a comic book that isn't exactly tearing up the sales charts.

Hopefully I'm wrong and this is a separate project with a separate budget. But if it was, I don't think Mattel would be asking if we want it. I think they'd just go ahead and produce it because it has its own resources. So I think the fears are valid that this DCU MOTUC comic subline would affect other MOTUC sublines and figure slots.
    I guess I just dont worry about it too much, I remember lots of people having dislike for the 200X series and how "bad" it was.

And maybe I will have to eat crow, but I just dont see these DC figures seeing the light of day in the main sub line in the next 2 years and hell we might not even have another 2 years of the sub left.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar

My sentiments exactly.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

NO.

While there are a few designs in the DC comic I like - Despara, Sorceress, Mer-man, and even Teela (if you cobbled together something from the several different costumes she's had throughout the digital and storefront comics to create something that doesn't look ****-bunny-ish), I don't want them at the expense of the Classics line. If this is a separate line, with a different budget, and with at least a half-way decent line-up, I'd be a yes. However, since Mattel refuses to clarify the concerns most of the people here have, it stays no.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Maybe Mattel plans to make these variants regardless since there is new entertainment and TG is trying to gauge which way would fans prefer to get their figures, either as MOTUC singles or 2 packs with DCUC figures. The "neither" option could be there as a formality, but it might not have much bearing on things that are already coming. I think TG knows that fans are fearful of the line ending prematurely, but he does not share that fear from where he sits. Only he knows how much danger the subscriptions were in last year and that's IF he didn't make up the 2013 sub scare to boost up subscriptions so that we could get all of this extra stuff.

I find it increasingly hard to believe that a line that was dying gets even more resources, when Mattel was notoriously cautious about failing properties in the past. That's like Ghostbusters barely getting by and getting Ecto-1, the Firehouse and an animated series villain subline. Mattel even got to the pre-order stage and the line was dying, yet aren't giving a pre-order for the Battle Ram while the line is currently thriving.

Quote Originally Posted by fball13z View Post
    I guess I just dont worry about it too much, I remember lots of people having dislike for the 200X series and how "bad" it was.
    These are similar reactions to the idea of 200X variants back from 2008. People were fearful of variants from the latest era of He-Man taking up slots from the original era. However, now 200X looks good by comparison because there is something "newer" out. I guess 200X is officially considered Classic now.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior

That is just how I feel too; decent of you to articulate it so effectively!
    Why else would Mattel ask - if this were a different project altogether?
    It seems to me that they may be sounding out opinion on more than just the potential for new figures; if those aren't seen to appeal to established fans, then what might that say about the whole New52/DC comics experiment? As you say, not exactly setting fire to the sales charts (and apparently well below target, both print and digital.) Maybe Mattel are having second thoughts and looking for the escape pod...

negative for me.

I'm fine just trying to finish the original MOTUC line.
    yeaaaahh ..... but then that happened...

THESE TRADERS HAVE THE POWER !!! - Thanks guys!

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I voted no, BUT I would have voted yes if the release of the New 52 figures were just like SOH...offered at an undisclosed time, at an undisclosed location, a few times a year. Make it REALLY hard to get them by manufacturing scarcity, and watch the LOVE grow.....Thats how you build a line. Thats how you get people to accept Cinemax Teela, by making her worth 10x her sale value right out of the gate.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    negative for me.

I'm fine just trying to finish the original MOTUC line.
    Me too.

So it's an absolute no from me as well.

I was affraid of this the minute they showed the new designs for the comic after showing that awesome first cover when they started this whole thing, i hated those new designs from the beginning. And i am afraid of them sneaking those figures in the next subscription, so please, if somebody is at the comic con, and they show stuff for the next sub, please ask if they intend to put those dc figures in, it could be vital for the subs sells.
    Because if they put them in there, i am out. Not if it matters much if i don't buy a sub... but maybe there are more who just don't want it. They already lost me as a comic reader, so they would definately loose me as a little collector.
    Yeah yeah... i could sell those on ebay and stuff, but i don't want to, i have not time for that.

If it has a different budget and they just want to see with that poll how they might proceed, then so be it, bring them on, i don't care for either 52 characters or dc comic he-man...

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Will we have the final results of the survey?hmm maybe someone should make the same survey here to have a clue.
    There is a similar poll running (in the MOTUC polls thread) that touches on the topic but it seems that few people decided to vote in comparison to the amount of views it has received.

As for me, I think that the answer or lack there of (http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5681027317/m/8421036528) which was received says plenty about how this concept could potentially effect the current MOTUC line.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Factorz View Post
    There is a similar poll running (in the MOTUC polls thread) that touches on the topic but it seems that few people decided to vote in comparison to the amount of views it has received.

As for me, I think that the answer or lack there of (http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5681027317/m/8421036528) which was received says plenty about how this concept could potentially effect the current MOTUC line.
    Thanks - I just voted. (Guess...)

Lack thereof is about right. There are other words, of course - like evasion, obfuscation etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I find it increasingly hard to believe that a line that was dying gets even more resources, when Mattel was notoriously cautious about failing properties in the past. That's like Ghostbusters barely getting by and getting Ecto-1, the Firehouse and an animated series villain subline. Mattel even got to the pre-order stage and the line was dying, yet aren't giving a pre-order for the Battle Ram while the line is currently thriving.
    There's a difference between a line that hasn't had new media since or anything outside a few games and comics attracting new customers to a site that only the hardcore even know about....being Matty.

Ghostbusters as it was only had a set amount of characters that many even cared about in the first place....and even if you delved into the "Real" property, even still....the line only had so far to go anyway....but, through Hot Wheels Ecto-1 has seen many incarnations over the last few years....regardless of being part of the "Movie Masters" at least the car is getting made somewhere....you can't say that for the MOTU vehicles aside from Wind Raider....I would love if not a MOTUC version, to see a Hot Wheels version of the MOTU vehicles....that would span 2 collections for me, just like the Ecto-1 did.

Point being, the main sub passed, supposedly by not much....Filmation passed or was close enough otherwise, never would have happened....Grayskull had it not passed, we wouldn't have gotten any playsets....ever. So to me, the line can still be dying, and though fan support only such as Grayskull and selling enough Filmation subs....limp along.

Hopefully we get another 2 years, that would be cool, and make one of the longest lasting Franchise sub series in a long time if ever. MOTU got 5 years.....200X what 3? MOTUC will finish it's 5th year now come December, or July if you count Grayskull as the first figure in 2008.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    There's a difference between a line that hasn't had new media since or anything outside a few games and comics attracting new customers to a site that only the hardcore even know about....being Matty.

Ghostbusters as it was only had a set amount of characters that many even cared about in the first place....and even if you delved into the "Real" property, even still....the line only had so far to go anyway....but, through Hot Wheels Ecto-1 has seen many incarnations over the last few years....regardless of being part of the "Movie Masters" at least the car is getting made somewhere....you can't say that for the MOTU vehicles aside from Wind Raider....I would love if not a MOTUC version, to see a Hot Wheels version of the MOTU vehicles....that would span 2 collections for me, just like the Ecto-1 did.

Point being, the main sub passed, supposedly by not much....Filmation passed or was close enough otherwise, never would have happened....Grayskull had it not passed, we wouldn't have gotten any playsets....ever. So to me, the line can still be dying, and though fan support only such as Grayskull and selling enough Filmation subs....limp along.

Hopefully we get another 2 years, that would be cool, and make one of the longest lasting Franchise sub series in a long time if ever. MOTU got 5 years.....200X what 3? MOTUC will finish it's 5th year now come December, or July if you count Grayskull as the first figure in 2008.
    What I'm talking about is the risk involved. MOTU barely survived last year, yet it has all of these new resources as if the line was healthy. Mattel is more gunshy about a $50 vehicle than a $300 playset.

I just find it odd that a company goes full-tilt on a line that was in it's death-throes. Most companies would take that as a sign to hold back things or at least proceed with caution, not go full-throttle with them. If a movie barely made it's budget back, you usually don't get two more movies and a spin-off.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I voted NO. If we're talking about doing variants in the line again, then I'd much rather have some 200x designs of characters like Roboto and Syclone who have had a few televised seasons of adventures in those forms before we get versions from a comic that's been out less than a year. Also, the comic designs are just not appealing to me. If the designs were truly awesome and borderline iconic representations of the characters (again, like we saw with most of 200x), I'd totally be on board, regardless if the money was coming out of the motuc budget, but they just all completely flat to me and I don't see them lasting longer than Spider-Man's own Iron Man suit from a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    What I'm talking about is the risk involved. MOTU barely survived last year, yet it has all of these new resources as if the line was healthy. Mattel is more gunshy about a $50 vehicle than a $300 playset.

I just find it odd that a company goes full-tilt on a line that was in it's death-throes. Most companies would take that as a sign to hold back things or at least proceed with caution, not go full-throttle with them. If a movie barely made it's budget back, you usually don't get two more movies and a spin-off.
    What risk? They had nothing to lose by doing a Grayskull Pre-Order....they had a piece of paper not a sculpt. If the PO failed, what would they have lost....maybe $100 in printing the B-Sheet? Not to mention they had to cut things from Grayskull once the thing was being sculpted....that says, they are adhering to a strict budget for it, based solely on its PO sales for the price offered.

The same with the Filmation sub, they had 3 figures sculpted already, one was originally slated for the main sub supposedly, and the other 2 would have sold well for EA & DOS if no sub happened. Again, I see no risk....other than the two others hanging around for a few days before selling out.

I see more of a risk adding these new figures to Classics or starting a whole new line based on variants many could care less about. The Mini Masters would fare better than a new DC Comic line.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; June 6, 2013 at 05:20pm.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    With this line, it has traditionally "expect the worst, hope for the best". There is nothing in the poll that suggests that these figures wouldn't. People are thinking that a DC MOTU lineup could muscle out other figures because that's exactly the kind of thing that could happen, given the way the line has been managed in the past. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, there are a lot of hurt feelings of people that have spent a lot of money supporting this line that characters who would be considered very important to their favorite line's history remain unmade so that add-on subs like the 30th and the concept figures like Vikor and Demo-Man could exist. People have every right to be concerned as they look up at their shelves (or in their plastic bins) at their Cy-Chops and Chief Carnivises and pine for figures like Glimmer and Flogg.

I counter the "maybe it's a sub external to the base sub" argument with "maybe a DC sub takes the place of a different sub that people have been clamoring for over the last 5 years". The fact is, we don't know because they aren't telling us (which is nothing new).
    It sounds like Matty has really damaged the trust they should have had with the fan-base.

Heroic Warrior
    Boooo traditionalists, yay new cool things!

I voted NO. I am not a fan of DC at all right now. The 52 revamp is a total joke. And I am very put off on redesigning characters. One reason why I was never a big 200X fan. With MOTUC being such a success, I am blown away that DC would choose to put out a He-Man comic with such drastically altered characters.

I actually think this is a good sign for MOTUC, though. If Mattel is considering doing this, there must be enough steam behind the brand to keep going and expanding.

I only made it through 1 issue of the new comic and I quit, so I don't know much about the stories. I guess I would be cool with a Despara, but she takes extremely low priority. I am definitely not interested in variants that were not original toys. Flying Fists He-Man = YES. New 52 Teela = NO.
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, CAMO KHAN, LODAR, EVIL ROBOT, DARIUS,

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNgZ View Post
    Boooo traditionalists, yay new cool things!
    ...Only ... it isn't cool; it's pants (literally, in the case of He-ManCosplay ...)
    Last edited by Scriptor; June 6, 2013 at 05:42pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    What risk? They had nothing to lose by doing a Grayskull Pre-Order....they had a piece of paper not a sculpt. If the PO failed, what would they have lost....maybe $100 in printing the B-Sheet?
    The 4H (and everyone else involved) don't work for free. Even preliminary work costs a bit.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    The 4H (and everyone else involved) don't work for free. Even preliminary work costs a bit.
    No kidding, Grayskull was never a "preliminary" 4H work until the PO went through, only then did they start to work on sculpting it, as far as planning the B-Sheet, not likely that cost that much....The 3 Filmation figures would have made it to us somehow through the year....as I said....What risk?
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; June 6, 2013 at 05:46pm.
    Coming.... Mermista
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor