Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: New Poll by Mattel - Do you want the new DCU Comic MOTU as figures?

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Part of the thinking by someone somewhere along the line might (and that's a big "might") be that if sales on the comic are better than that of the current toy, that those comic sales will translate equivalently or at least significantly into toy sales.

A while back we guestimated that production was 15,000 a figure in MOTUC. I've since heard rumors they are less than that, but let's stick with the 15K. The new on-going comic series debuted at 25K.

The problem is that 25K number was based in part by the incentive cover. It's been said over the years that 10% of the comic stores buy 90% of the product. The bigger stores will up their orders to get good incentive covers on something they know they have a hardcore fanbase for because they can adjust their break-even by attaching a large price tag to a rare comic (in this case, the Terry Dodson She-Ra cover for #1). So a portion of that 25K goes to retailer leveraging and risk-taking. Plus, far more comic fans and collectors are willing to put 4.00 on a comic VS over 25.00 on a toy so the sales don't compare.

It's always possible someone out there has their hopes up a significant portion of that 25K in comics sales will also buy toys based on that comic. There's nothing wrong with hope. But IF that's a hope someone has, it's unrealistic, considering issue 2 estimates are down to 20K in sales already. Issues 3 and 4 will be the tell tale on the success of the new comic series, unless more rare incentives are done to boost the numbers. But even if it holds at 20K, no meaningful percentage of comic customer base will start buying the toy line.
    definitely we need a movie or a new TV series for a motu Explosion, comics are somewhat smaller now, in fact in the last month just two comics exceeded 100,000 copies, it does not reach the largest audience.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    Didn't they learn anything from the 'versus' sets? Keep different lines separate!

It's odd that they still pretend the future of the line is uncertain and then come up with an idea like this one.

It seems we haven't been vociferous enough when repeatedly asking for vehicles and Teela and Fisto reissues. Anyone else feel like they're banging their head against a brick wall?
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Heroic Warrior
    Didn't they learn anything from the 'versus' sets? Keep different lines separate!

It's odd that they still pretend the future of the line is uncertain and then come up with an idea like this one.

It seems we haven't been vociferous enough when repeatedly asking for vehicles and Teela and Fisto reissues. Anyone else feel like they're banging their head against a brick wall?

And THAT's the post of the month, right there !

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post

The problem with the first VS set was the DC characters were nothing new they were released before and collectors of that line already had them. Also the scale was different.

If they were to tackle this type of set again, they need to release figures collectors from both properties A) haven't got and B) actually want.

DCUC characters in MOTUC buck would get the DC crowd buying these sets.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    The problem with the first VS set was the DC characters were nothing new they were released before and collectors of that line already had them. Also the scale was different.

If they were to tackle this type of set again, they need to release figures collectors from both properties A) haven't got and B) actually want.

DCUC characters in MOTUC buck would get the DC crowd buying these sets.
    If they went that route, I might buy them. I'm not interested in DC's version of the MOTU characters, but I would like Wonder Woman and Superman in the MOTU Classics style.

They'd have to be in their traditional costumes though, not the current New 52 outfits.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Most MOTUC fans on these forums might not want any comics figures, but the TF fans sure do! At Botcon, a few IDW versions of characters were revealed such as Skids, Whirl, Tailgate and Swerve. These guys aren't major G1 characters, but they are very prominent characters in the comics and the response has been amazing. It's truly a testament to IDW's writing and work with the TF franchise that has fans so won over.

I wish that MOTU had the level of greatness that the current TF comics from IDW have achieved. This is what happens when you have fans of the property who actually care about what they are...wait. I can't even say THAT. The people working on this property only do what Mattel tells them to do.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Most MOTUC fans on these forums might not want any comics figures, but the TF fans sure do! At Botcon, a few IDW versions of characters were revealed such as Skids, Whirl, Tailgate and Swerve. These guys aren't major G1 characters, but they are very prominent characters in the comics and the response has been amazing. It's truly a testament to IDW's writing and work with the TF franchise that has fans so won over.

I wish that MOTU had the level of greatness that the current TF comics from IDW have achieved. This is what happens when you have fans of the property who actually care about what they are...wait. I can't even say THAT. The people working on this property only do what Mattel tells them to do.

You are so VERY right!
    I don't know much about Transformers (though the sales figures are hugely impressive - and put us to shame) - but one thing is sure; if the DC comics were being written by someone with love and respect for Eternia - or even sufficient professionalism to do their homework and learn - then we woudn't have the badly conceived and executed drivel which is currently being served up in the name of MotU. Is it really only ten years since the MVC comics, crafted with such obvious skill and loving care? It feels like a lot longer.
    It's both embarrassing and insulting that these people seem to think that the property deserves no better than to be treated as a joke and with such cavalier contempt. But it seems that BOTH DC and Mattel are to blame - and the really sad thing is that it is the MotU name paying the longer-term price for this incompetent handling.

Anybody remember The Producers? Zero Mostel depairs of his unintended Broadway success and cries out: "How could this happen? I was so careful. I picked the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did I go right?"

Well; DC and Mattel between them certainly did that. But it most certainly didn't turn out right......

Finish the ALL the vintage (inc. MOTU, POP) plus select 200X, Mini-Comic, Filmation etc... then contemplate this suggestion of DCU Comic characters as figures.
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    While I agree overall with your statement, I think you may be oversimplifying. All of the characters you just mentioned are still waiting for their first "Classics/Generations" releases. NONE have had their G1 versions updated, and these IDW versions are a close enough approximation for people like me who tend to focus on G1 toys. Yes, several people are talking about buying this figure or that because they are the IDW version (I'm looking at you here, Goldbug/fire), but just as many are simply because they are nice toys.

And as for the comparison to the resistance to N52 versions of the MOTU cast, it's not like they are saying that another Optimus (this time, IDW) will mean that someone like Impactor, Waspinator, or Armada Starscream will have a harder time seeing release (and yes, I chose those three on purpose ). The fact that TF remains a retail line with many different sublines (and heck, even the TFCC is an outlet for more obscure toys) means that they have SO much more flexibility to get new toys out. MOTUC doesn't have that luxury.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    While I agree overall with your statement, I think you may be oversimplifying. All of the characters you just mentioned are still waiting for their first "Classics/Generations" releases. NONE have had their G1 versions updated, and these IDW versions are a close enough approximation for people like me who tend to focus on G1 toys. Yes, several people are talking about buying this figure or that because they are the IDW version (I'm looking at you here, Goldbug/fire), but just as many are simply because they are nice toys.

And as for the comparison to the resistance to N52 versions of the MOTU cast, it's not like they are saying that another Optimus (this time, IDW) will mean that someone like Impactor, Waspinator, or Armada Starscream will have a harder time seeing release (and yes, I chose those three on purpose ). The fact that TF remains a retail line with many different sublines (and heck, even the TFCC is an outlet for more obscure toys) means that they have SO much more flexibility to get new toys out. MOTUC doesn't have that luxury.
    Great points. You know there will be a Generations Huffer or Fortress Maximus (he's not a city-former in the comics) at some point, so TF fans don't have the anxiety over their Classics line that the MOTUC fans have.

Still, I wish the comics were better like those IDW TF comics. I don't hate the comics and actually look forward to them with interest, but He-Man's new armor being a permanent change and Teela's super unlikable attitude are questionable choices.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Despera only. these comics are horrible.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Fortress Maximus
    Ugh. You're telling me. I saw the 3rd party Fortress Maximus and am going to have a REAL hard time talking myself out of him. I'd like to think there will be a regular Hasbro release, but I'm really impatient.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

YES for me! I'm supporting the Future of He-Man in any kind of format.

I personally can't wait for a line of comic figures or a variant mini sub. Then again, it's no secret I love the comics.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would actually considering buying some of the figures from these comics. Imagine a Shadow Weaver figure for those who couldn't/didn't get the original MOTUC version.

Heroic Warrior
    Great points. You know there will be a Generations Huffer or Fortress Maximus (he's not a city-former in the comics) at some point, so TF fans don't have the anxiety over their Classics line that the MOTUC fans have.

Still, I wish the comics were better like those IDW TF comics. I don't hate the comics and actually look forward to them with interest, but He-Man's new armor being a permanent change and Teela's super unlikable attitude are questionable choices.
    I really like DC's MOTU comics, but I certainly agree that IDW's TF comics are better overall. They have also been around longer, which has given the writers more time to refine them. It's cool that IDW now has 3 ongoing TF comics. I hope someday MOTU could support two ongoing series as well. A She-Ra Princess of Power comic would be nice!

Just to reiterate, I'm all for figures of these comic characters... after the vintage toy characters, Filmation and other vintage mini-comic and book characters are done first. Or if this is a subline with its own budget that doesn't affect MOTUC at all.