Thread: My second and final MOTU novel, "Legacies" is finally finished.

My second and final MOTU novel, "Legacies" is finally finished.

... and available for download at the link in my sig.

Let me know what you think :-)

-Matt
    -KTC

My FREE full-length MOTU novel:

MOTU: The Keldor Chronicles

And its newly-released sequel (which is also FREE):

MOTU: Legacies

Interesting. You'd think Masters of the Universe would have its' answer to the Star Wars Expanded Universe by now.

I could see MOTU having "real" novels out there. It's a rich enough story, for sure. It seems a bit odd to me, too.

EDIT: Sweet :-D http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=4183
    Last edited by KeldorTheCursed; June 27, 2014 at 08:03pm.
    -KTC

Quote Originally Posted by KeldorTheCursed View Post
    I could see MOTU having "real" novels out there. It's a rich enough story, for sure. It seems a bit odd to me, too.

EDIT: Sweet :-D http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=4183
    Than again, Mattel treats MOTU as an awkward middle child, not really respecting it's potential as much as they laud Barbie or Hot Wheels with praise. Or at least, not these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker95 View Post
    Than again, Mattel treats MOTU as an awkward middle child, not really respecting it's potential as much as they laud Barbie or Hot Wheels with praise. Or at least, not these days.
    Agreed, though I still have hope that that can change.
    -KTC

will there be a version to download on to kindles or other e readers like the first one??

Just read first two chapters of the Keldor Chronicles on fanfiction.net and have to say I'm really impressed. Loved how you introduced Keldor and Evil Lynns link to Hordak and how hordak took Adora and left Adam. Plus Randor and the Sorceress differing views. Brilliant and looking forward to reading more!!
    Evil Horde wannabie!!!!

MOTU - A Hero Lost (my take on what becomes of Eternia after he-man and Skeletor left for Primus)

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...tu-A-Hero-Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Kinghsss456 View Post
    will there be a version to download on to kindles or other e readers like the first one??
    Only if someone is willing to make them for me I don't have the ability. My brother made the last ones, but he's busy as heck with his family and his own writings.

Quote Originally Posted by iron bear View Post
    Just read first two chapters of the Keldor Chronicles on fanfiction.net and have to say I'm really impressed. Loved how you introduced Keldor and Evil Lynns link to Hordak and how hordak took Adora and left Adam. Plus Randor and the Sorceress differing views. Brilliant and looking forward to reading more!!
    Thanks so much I'm glad that you are enjoying it so far!
    -KTC

It turns out it's not so final. I'm now working on the third. THIS one will be the final one. Still had some things to wrap up before I let go.
    -KTC

Finished reading your first novel 'The Keldor Chronicles' and all I can say is WOW. What a brilliant story, I was really impressed with learning your take on how Keldor became Skeletor and the anguish King Randor went through. I also loved the way Evil-Lynns relationship with Keldor and then Skeletor disintegrated. Your writing was brilliant and look forward to reading Legacies
    Evil Horde wannabie!!!!

MOTU - A Hero Lost (my take on what becomes of Eternia after he-man and Skeletor left for Primus)

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...tu-A-Hero-Lost

Quote Originally Posted by iron bear View Post
    Finished reading your first novel 'The Keldor Chronicles' and all I can say is WOW. What a brilliant story, I was really impressed with learning your take on how Keldor became Skeletor and the anguish King Randor went through. I also loved the way Evil-Lynns relationship with Keldor and then Skeletor disintegrated. Your writing was brilliant and look forward to reading Legacies
    Thanks a lot I hope you enjoy the second one as much, if not more. Be sure to let me know. Getting feedback makes my day.

I may as well announce here that the working title of the final book (3) is "The Powers of Grayskull." No release date set (way too early for that), but I hope sooner rather than later.
    -KTC

hey Matt!

I forgot to chime in after finishing Legacies. once again, really enjoyed it! and, I am now very happy to hear you're actually beginning work on a third!

also, FYI, my twin daughters are five, and I have chosen The Keldor Chronicles as the first "book without pictures" to read with them at bedtime!... (up to this point, all books we've shared have been illustrated children's books or comics)... so YOURS is their first foray into having to come up with the pictures in their own minds/imaginations! we're about 3 chapters in so far, and they're really enjoying it! (and, I'm loving reading through it again as well.)

back to legacies... I truly loved it, but for the sake of it i'll offer a small critique... it felt a bit more ("derivative") for lack of a better term than TKC, or perhaps better said... it felt like YOU felt more constrained in putting your OWN spin on the characters and situations than you had in TKC. I LOVE your unique and fresh ideas, and would have liked to see MORE farther-reaching notions in Legacies than seemed to be there. and, it also felt like some of the characters were dropped in just as a bit of "fan service" as opposed to true story service? again, this is not intended to be viewed as overly-critical or negative... I did truly enjoy reading Legacies, and will also plan on sharing IT with my girls after we finish TKC, (and think they will probably like it even better!), but just wanted to offer some feedback in an effort to assure you that your own unique takes on characters/situations are great, and you should feel freely open to exploring them in the third book!

Lastly, have you ever made any attempt at getting these printed/binded into actual book format? I'd really like to have them as true books... if it's something you have done/can do, and would be willing to sell (since I certainly wouldn't mind monetarily rewarding your efforts in creating these stories in the first place in exchange for the enjoyment they've thus far provided me for free), please pm me. thanks!

Thanks, Kevin and I'm honored regarding the twins. That is pretty awesome, indeed! The few scenes that some would deem a little adult are certainly easy enough to gloss over, lol.

Regarding your comments on "Legacies," I don't mind at all! I like feedback of all kinds as long as it's constructive and you're right, I didn't change the origins of the characters too much in the second book. I think that is due to the fact that, although I'm not a huge POP fan (just due to a lack of exposure, really), I think that it has a much stronger core as far as story-telling compared to MOTU, which had so many different sources/origins that it can be a muddled mess at times. Therefore, I felt less need to change the characters themselves, but rather put them into a unique story (IMO anyway). This is kind of the opposite of TKC, where the stories were familiar, but the characters were adapted from different sources. I'm not sure if that made any sense, haha.

When it comes to fan service, the only fan I'm really trying to please, if I'm being completely honest, is me. Saying I have fans feels weird to me, so I just refer to the people who read as "fellow MOTU fans." Anyway, sometimes I'll throw something or someone in so people can say, "oh, I know who that is," but hopefully it is always in service of the story. I feel that the main culprit of this in "Legacies" was probably Razz. Truth is... I don't like Razz that much, but it just didn't feel right not having her in there somehow as she's such an important part of POP, even if it was just a cameo. The one complaint I hear about TKC is "where is Orko?" and this was a similar situation, but I honestly can't think of anything good to do with a flying smurf. Plus Razz talks kind of funny in my story and I enjoyed writing her. Loo-Kee (who I can't stand, honestly), I thought served the story due to his ability to blend in. I see where you're coming from, though. Did you have anyone else in mind? I'm just curious.

Considering the time periods that the third book takes place in, it's stuff that is largely unexplored, so I think you'll find that I'm able to be a little more creative character-wise. There is one well-known character (that is mentioned in both TKC and Legacies but hasn't directly appeared) that I'm having fun with in the new one. I'm taking them and playing with the idea that legends we know and the truths they spring from can be quite different. That's all I'll say about that for now. People will either go along with it and get a kick out of it or not. *shrugs* It is what it is. People liking the stories is always a bonus, but I don't sweat it too much if people don't like them. Luckily, both of the books have yet to be critically eviscerated by anyone, which is unusual considering how the internet is.

Regarding printing the books, I've looked into it and it is quite expensive. If I were to do it, it'd be pretty much just for promotional purposes (just 25 paperback copies runs several hundred dollars, and I just can't afford it). Besides that, when all is said and done and I have a trilogy, I may go through proper channels and see if I can get them published for real. In 30+ years, MOTU has never had an official novel published. That means one of two things: either no one is interested, or it's an untapped market that Mattel might be willing to explore. I'd actually have to find a publisher that is willing to pay for licensing rights, so it might not be that easy. I suppose it's worth a try, though. The books are kind of strange in that they are, in effect, "sequels" to what is usually the time period MOTU stuff takes place in. I'm not sure if that hurts them or makes them more interesting. In the end, it's worth trying and if I'm unsuccessful then I still had fun writing them so no big whoop.

The good thing about writing as a hobby is that it doesn't cost me anything but time (well, and commission fees for the covers). If I can one day make money doing this, even if it's not for MOTU, I think I'd be a pretty happy dude.

Thanks for the comments/critiques. I will take them to heart. LMK if you have any more questions or just want to chat about the stories via PM.
    -KTC