Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doesn't Refusing to Ever Reissue Past Figures Effectively Kill MOTU Classics?

Doesn't Refusing to Ever Reissue Past Figures Effectively Kill MOTU Classics?

Here's something that's been on the back of my mind for a while now, and that's been really bothering me as time goes on: Doesn't Mattel's refusal to reissue older figures basically kill the potential future of Masters of the Universe Classics? If subscriptions and sales are already starting to slow down a bit, that's a clear sign that Masters of the Universe Classics needs new collectors and new blood to stay relevant. And I can't comprehend how Mattel expects to get any new collectors at all when major characters as important as Skeletor, Teela, and Beast Man are totally unavailable to new collectors without going to the secondary market.

I understand that--in the past--reissues of figures did not sell as spectacularly as hoped. But I feel that there's a big difference between doing a reissue run of something like Chief Carnivus a couple months after release and doing a new run of legendary, iconic characters like Teela years after release. He-Man fans and collectors have been asking for a new run of Teela for years--YEARS. Does Mattel seriously believe that poor sales of certain figures that they attempted to re-release barely after their first releases is a valid indicator that fans won't buy The Sorceress or Beast Man if reissued today? How is this line supposed to survive if Mattel won't even gauge the possibility that there are potential new collectors out there who might buy in, if they only had the chance to purchase some older, important characters?

Basically, Mattel's refusal to even consider producing new runs of fan-demanded core characters like Skeletor, Teela, The Sorceress, Beast Man and so forth seems short-sighted and disastrous for both Mattel and the future of MOTU Classics to me. I just can't understand why Mattel doesn't even want to try to prolong the life-span of Masters of the Universe Classics line by reprinting core figures that anyone even considering getting into MOTUC would want to have. Shouldn't Mattel be trying to create an influx of new collectors in 2014-2015, instead of putting out all the remaining vintage characters and waving a white flag that the line is doomed?

Thoughts?
    Check out my blog, Toy Review Daily: A New Toy Review, 366 Days a Year! http://www.toyreviewdaily.com

Heroic Warrior
    They'll be rereleased as an absolute last resort to keep people subbing. Maybe in a few years.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes. Plus, it doesn't help when they're charging the current $27 price for figures that were originally $20. All the evergreen figures are old CS stock, yet they somehow cost $7 more now. There's a lot of other stuff that Mattel has done throughout this line to greatly damage it, too.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

Yes, if they want new subscribers for 2014 and beyond, they need to reissue core characters. No new collector is going to sub for 2014 when most of the core characters have long since sold out. Who wants a collection that has Modulock and Two-Bad but doesn't have Teela or Beast Man?
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post
    They'll be rereleased as an absolute last resort to keep people subbing. Maybe in a few years.
    I think so also, which is why Im not bothering with Teela unless I get a good price on it. She's the only fig I need to complete my 12 back but Im concentrating on other lines right now so she'll have to take a back seat until a reissue.

With out getting in to this in detail for the 9 billionth time it's because we're MUCH closer to the end of the line then the beginning.

There isn't some un-tapped fan base that's gonna buy up the let's say 10k+ units of any one run that they would have to produce at this point.

Even on certain figures that such as a Fisto, their data is telling you that it wouldn't work.

How do they know that? Again...they have sales data on equivalent items that gives them an idea.

For instance....there's no bigger re-issue then let's say a Trap Jaw or Man-at-arms aside from a Skeletor or He-Man, but we'll leave those two out for obvious reasons.

If they're still sitting on re-issued stock of those types of figures YEARS after it was produced why would it realistically be any different for any one else.

It seems as if Beast Man's re-issued stock FINALLY sold out around a year ago and now when we're to wards the end people expect them to push the button for a third run? It's never going to happen.

We're too far in to the game with not a whole heck of a lot left. Things are probably going to only get worse after 2014 or at the least slide and by producing all sorts of past figures isn't going to help that.

The meat and potato fan base for this line is already here and has these items. I could potentially see Mattel doing that "All Star" sub. at some point, but at a super low run which would equate in to sky rocketed prices. Just the way it is.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Toy companies usually don't care about long term. If you're a few years late to the party while collecting a retail line, you're out of luck.

However, during the run, the only figures regularly available throughout are the main characters. You could always find Wolverine, Spider-Man, Batman and Superman in their retail lines. Optimus and Bumblebee are always on hand. Snake Eyes is ever present for G.I. Joe.

This could also be a strategy to market the new DC designs. If there is no hope of getting the older characters, would fans use the newer characters as a substitute? Could DC Teela stand in for normal Teela?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I do think it is a flaw of the line. If they don't want to do straight re-issues i can understand, but they would have out of sub sckews to get alternate versions of main characters. They should have done a 200X Teela already. I hope the N52 version comes out so that people can get a red haired Teela, even if it isnt exactly what they want.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    This could also be a strategy to market the new DC designs. If there is no hope of getting the older characters, would fans use the newer characters as a substitute? Could DC Teela stand in for normal Teela?
    This is the best option IMO, both Teela and Beastman aren't much different from the regular designs, the colours are the same!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Heroic Warrior
    There won't be several thousand new customers...

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    With out getting in to this in detail for the 9 billionth time it's because we're MUCH closer to the end of the line then the beginning.

There isn't some un-tapped fan base that's gonna buy up the let's say 10k+ units of any one run that they would have to produce at this point.

Even on certain figures that such as a Fisto, their data is telling you that it wouldn't work.

How do they know that? Again...they have sales data on equivalent items that gives them an idea.

For instance....there's no bigger re-issue then let's say a Trap Jaw or Man-at-arms aside from a Skeletor or He-Man, but we'll leave those two out for obvious reasons.

If they're still sitting on re-issued stock of those types of figures YEARS after it was produced why would it realistically be any different for any one else.

It seems as if Beast Man's re-issued stock FINALLY sold out around a year ago and now when we're to wards the end people expect them to push the button for a third run? It's never going to happen.

We're too far in to the game with not a whole heck of a lot left. Things are probably going to only get worse after 2014 or at the least slide and by producing all sorts of past figures isn't going to help that.

The meat and potato fan base for this line is already here and has these items. I could potentially see Mattel doing that "All Star" sub. at some point, but at a super low run which would equate in to sky rocketed prices. Just the way it is.
    I agree 100%.

As you said, there is no un-tapped fanbase anymore. Maybe 200-300 new buyers at best, but even these wouldn't justify a full re-issue run.

We are indeed closer to the end of the line then the beginning. I'm sorry for those who came late to the party, but that's just the way it is.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post

While that is a good point, it is worth pointing out that for the most part the old stock was not always available to purchase. So maybe you wanted Beast Man, but the random month where he was a reissue you missed the notice, or had other expenses. The lack of advertising does make it easy to miss out unless you are checking toy sites on a regular basis.

So even though they had old stock for years, they were not actively trying to sell that stock the whole time.

That being said though this kind of thing tends to happen in lines after they have been out for a while, but some kind of reissues would be nice. The Toys R Us packs were great, but ultimately hurt by crappy DC reissues that no one wanted.

Could DC Teela stand in for normal Teela?
    No. No she could not.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflow View Post
    I do think it is a flaw of the line. If they don't want to do straight re-issues i can understand, but they would have out of sub sckews to get alternate versions of main characters. They should have done a 200X Teela already. I hope the N52 version comes out so that people can get a red haired Teela, even if it isnt exactly what they want.
    And then you have time and effort being put into variants for newcomers while people who have been collecting since 2008 still don't have Two Bad, Flogg, and Glimmer.

Toy lines, no matter how fantastic, come to an end. TG and Mattel are doing what is right by making sure the people who have been in it for the long haul have as complete a collection as they can.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

if you want the figures you missed. look on the org for friendly collectors willing to help you out. or wait until someone gives up on the line and buy up their collection. dont expect any 'help' from Mattel. they got your money already. the line is ending in the next year or so and they dont care about your little opinion or your love of MOTUC.

I agree with most of the people above. There isn't the un-tapped base left to support reissues or to keep the line going that way.

This line has been a huge success let's not forget that. It has been going for longer than I expected it would and we have far, far more figures than I ever dreamed. I just hope we get at least another couple of years of new figures.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Could DC Teela stand in for normal Teela?
    That would be a no for me....just the same as BG Teela would or could never be a substitute....I have a Teela, but mine is messed up from the factory....I want a 2.0.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Mattel is a company whose solely purpose is making profit (like all other companies of course). Whit that being said, the question of the reissues is not a problem about something they can't do. Is a problem about something they would't do because it would not generate enough profit. An even if we know there could be new collectors coming the number is still limited. If MOTUC became a retail line then there could be a possibility that 8 core characters would be reissued. But until that we will have to wait. Nevertheless, Beast man was re-selled numerous times. I think the real hard figures are the ones that never ever have a DOS reissue. Teela, Whiplash, Roboto, 1stKingRandor, Zodac. And obviously Fisto (but that is another story)

Heroic Warrior
    All very reasonable points, I would rather Matty finish the line for the fans that have been here from the beginning, reissues, if any, should not be a concearn for them right now. It does mean the possibility of no Teela or Fisto for me but meh, ill survive.

Yes, it does.
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

reissues will most likely happen again in a few years

Heroic Warrior
    Yes. People coming late to the game are screwed.

But is that what really caused this line to have a slow and painfull death? or even poor sales.

I'm pretty sure it was along the lines of the following or a combonation of the following:
    exploding crotches
    weak ankles
    shipping costs
    bad paint
    defective figures
    defective customer service

As bummer as it is with no more re-issues or no more ads in magazines to promote the line/product. There was bigger factors that played in that dictated the course of this line.

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    While that is a good point, it is worth pointing out that for the most part the old stock was not always available to purchase. So maybe you wanted Beast Man, but the random month where he was a reissue you missed the notice, or had other expenses. The lack of advertising does make it easy to miss out unless you are checking toy sites on a regular basis.

So even though they had old stock for years, they were not actively trying to sell that stock the whole time.

While true to an extent I believe that was done by design with the actual fan in mind which in the long run helps them maximize profits as well with out sitting on too much over stock. That sales method gave customers old and new a chance to grab figures over the course of the years rather then selling out completely years ago.

For instance, if they were to leave these figures on the site until they truly sold out, SO MANY figures would of been long gone right now with prices through the roof. As of now it's only a handful.

Producing let's say one re-issued run of Man-at-Arms and spacing it out over the course of the line is MUCH more beneficial to the fan, *especially* the new one rather then selling out completely 2 years ago.

Doing it this way also stretches out the line by giving customers old and new the chance to purchase other figures at various times over the course of YEARS. If it was all just left up continuously what would they have to left to sell besides the new stuff come today?

Man-at-Arms and Trap Jaw are just two of many that would EASILY be $100+ figures right now and LONG gone if they didn't "sell & pull" stock the way in which they did over the years.

Remember, they were never going to just make continuous runs on these regardless, as at *some* point you WILL bottom out so you have to do it right the first time.

In saying that, the whole "fake sell out" actually helped quite a few people over time when you look back at it.

A bunch of these figures could very well be much harder to come by these days if just left on the site from day 1.
    Last edited by Riddle of Steel; June 10, 2013 at 05:19pm.

It has been mentioned and discussed many times. Some fans believe that there is this vast, untapped resource of folks that haven't heard of MOTUC and could be potential buyers. Yes, they are out there, but not in the numbers needed to make a re-issue worth it for Mattel. There may been a few hundred folks out there, but Mattel would need there to be a few thousand.

Also, as was mentioned above, the toy company isn't concerned with helping out those folks late to the game. Collecting, in its nature, involves looking for items outside of the initial purchasing opportunity. Mattel produces an item, sells it out, and moves onto the next item. If you missed it the first time around, then it's off to the secondary market. I think that's part of the fun of collecting though.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Look at the bright side. Most of these are readily available on the secondary market. It's not like you missed out on the 1:6 scale tenth Doctor figure from Big Chief Studios by a couple of days like someone I know. (I made the decision to buy him a couple days after the last preorder sold out. I am still crushed. )
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Yes, it does.
    yeah I can accept it, I have other toy priorities right now but Im confident Ill score both at prices I can accept with a little time and patience.