Thread: Magic: The Gathering

Magic: The Gathering

I helped out at my local gaming shop from about the beginning of 2001 to the end of 2005, and either hosted or played in about every FNM tournament (and Saturday tournaments, when we had enough people show up to have 'em) during that time. I quit playing Standard when I stopped helping out at the shop, but I've kept a few good Legacy decks together (Goblins and Burn for serious play, Elves and MBC for casual) and still update 'em every once in a while (I'm a mod at a Magic forum and so I keep up with every new set).

So - anybody here play Magic, or used to play? =)

Never got into the card games but I enjoyed Heroclix for a while.

I used to play a few collectible games back when I had a steady income. Magic was one, and some of the miniatures games. I still have a huge ton of MtG cards from those days just lying around.

Unfortunately since M:tg moves forward so quickly, all your stuff becomes useless in a few years...

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Never got into the card games but I enjoyed Heroclix for a while.
    I played Heroclix when it first came out. I still have a lot of the miniatures stashed somewhere; I removed 'em from their bases and glued 'em on D&D miniatures bases. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Unfortunately since M:tg moves forward so quickly, all your stuff becomes useless in a few years...
    The Legacy format's pretty stable and awesome. You can use most of your old cards in Legacy; unlike Standard, no sets ever rotate out. And the only cards that are banned in Legacy are the power card that are banned or restricted in Vintage. And best of all, although some decks are really expensive, you don't have to spend a ton if you don't want to - you can totally build fun, competitive decks (like burn) for cheap. =)

I used to play magic from Unlimited until Mirage, sold all my cards and then wished I hadn't.
    I recently started playing again and picked up a lot of the old cards I used to have.

Movie mayhem!
    I played magic when i was younger, and started up playing again a few years back but mostly that just entails some group games couple times a year. Anyone play group games?

You mean like 2-headed giant?
    We play at least one team game every few weeks. Mostly we just rotate between 2-4 player games depending on how many of us show up.

I got in at the tail end of Beta, and stayed in right up until Mirage. I still have a whole bunch of good cards like Dual Lands, Birds of Paradise, Chaos Orb, ect....

My favorite color to play was blue. I loved stealing other people creatures, copying their creatures...but the most fun I had was countering their spells and/or throwing their spells back at them

I had a kick ass deck for every color, and a few combo color decks (like red and black, white and blue, black and blue-that was a discard deck).

It was mega fun...but I eventually got out when I decided I was spending WAY too much money on the game....

So what do I do now? I spend WAY too much money on toys! Ugh!

Heroic Thread Killer biggieboy69's Avatar
    I was always a casual gamer when it came to MtG. I never played in any tournaments or anything, but really enjoyed just playing with my college buddies. I actually have quite a few cards I'm looking to get rid of. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

Josh

Evil Master of Warcraft
    I used to play in high school casually with some friends. They got more and more into it buying more expensive cards making harder to beat decks so I quit.

I've bought enough of the World of Warcraft TCG cards looking for loot cards that give you in game items I might start playing that.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I used to play M:tg a few times with my cousin, when he was in it. Personally I've never been really into this type of card games.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

If any of you are on http://tappedout.net/, add me.

I was in it for awhile startign with Ice Age then started doing Booster Drafts some years ago. I now play it on Xbox Live all the time---no cards

It's funny that this thread popped up for me. I just got back into Magic after 11 years off. I played for about 6 months back during Urza's Saga. Now I started playing again at Mirrodin Besieged.

My friends and I are playing commons only to save cost, and all commons from all sets are fair game.

If anyone has any good Ideas, and could help me build a killer commons only deck, that would be awesome! I don't know about past sets, and it takes me forever to look through all the past cards.

I was a very, very casual player of it in high school, and a few years ago, my friends and I were being nostalgic, so we went to the local store and asked for their unwanted commons and uncommons. For $5 we got about 2000 cards and had a blast for a few days.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not a MTG fan. I don't get or understand or comprehend it's seemingly complex game play.

However, I stumbled on to this last night. And even though I don't understand when they talk about the game and all the in's and out's of it I do get the silly way they present the game and themselves and find that amusing.

So far there are 10 videos. Got to admit that video #10 had some nice scenery shots.