Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parents - which Classics figures are your kids' favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    The only problem is the silver paint rubbed off of He-Man's sword. But my son doesn't bash toys, thankfully. So far no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    My sons He-Man is almost 2 years old, and other than loosening a little more than when new, he's perfectly good, nothing broken, nothing aside from paint rubbing off from rubbing against his toy box and other figures.

My son has played with my MEF quite a bit, and he doesn't pull the faces out, it's all in the ages and how you teach them to respect their toys, obviously if you let your kids run buck wild and bash them against other toys and walls and throw them down the steps....they're gonna break. My son's MOTUC are pretty damn durable considering his He-Man was bought for a then 2 year old. And I gave him an extra Demo-Man of mine more than a year ago, and once again....just fine and perfect.... He now owns a SOH, and he's doing well with him too.

I broke many a Vintage MOTU figures, chewed the heads, bit or broke the ***** slap hand fingers off, lost parts....and I have yet to see a MOTUC aside from Roboto, Goddess, Snout and maybe a couple others that would be fragile and that I would never give to my kid to play with....

Others, they may loosen, but looseness is not a sign of fragility in any way. In any figure line that has a lot of articulation of course comes more chances to break something....My son's 4" Iron Man 2 figure just broke at the hip joint....but that is from a line meant for kids, and it broke.

Hell I've broken a few modern Transformers easier than I could ever think that a MOTUC would break (aside from Goddess & Roboto)....Transformers are harder ABS, MOTUC has ABS and the softer PVC....PVC being softer allows a more durable product.
    This is actually really encouraging! I assumed that because they were intended as adult collectibles that they wouldn't by consequence be as sturdy as the vintage toys. Looks like I was wrong. Good on Mattel for not skimping. Well, other than Snout Spout's broken snout, but we won't reopen that particular wound here.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Heroic Warrior
    My daughter is 10 years old. Every time my subscription figure arrives she is just as excited to see what I have. She wants all the girl characters from he man and POP. She has a teela, she-ra, sorceress, frosta and a hordak. She loves the POP figures.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Anyone else who doesn't have children still getting some genuine warm fuzzies reading about all these kids getting into MOTU? I still maintain the property has an inherent appeal to kids no matter what generation you're talking about. Best part, though, is that it sounds like a lot of the parents and their children here are sharing some good times and building some memories with these figures. The heck with collectibility, that's the real value of these toys...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    The heck with collectibility, that's the real value of these toys...
    That's the spirit!

Anyone else who doesn't have children still getting some genuine warm fuzzies reading about all these kids getting into MOTU? I still maintain the property has an inherent appeal to kids no matter what generation you're talking about. Best part, though, is that it sounds like a lot of the parents and their children here are sharing some good times and building some memories with these figures. The heck with collectibility, that's the real value of these toys...
    My son sits next to me every time I open the box, he knows it's a Masters figure, and he loves to see me take them out and look at them for the first time.

And this is my biggest gripe about the direction the Comics are taking MOTU....but then again if you think of it, the Transformers G1 comics were quite violent....but seeing as how MOTU has no visual moving media....teh comics represent the only thing new....and therefore is not appropriate for kids....so all we have to share that's new is the toys. And of course the ever living FILMATION!

But I love spending time with my son showing my stuff, he loves it, and we spend valuable time together. I'm glad I got back into collecting toys, before my son I was beginning to wonder why I was doing it, but now, it's all worth it. The memories we're building now, he will always carry with him, and when the day comes that he gets my collection....he'll treasure it even more.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Snappy Threader
    Anything Evil Horde or Snake Men....

My 5 year old loves battle armour he man and she ra with swift wind . We watch a lot of secret of the sword

And battle cat has pride of place next to his bed defending him at night

excellent thread! (i'm loving hearing everyone's kids' favorites/stories, AND hearing the delight of those without kids chiming in!)
    my twin 4-year-old daughters LOVE he-man and she-ra, and in anticipation of such, I have always had 2 subs... one for me, and one for them. last Christmas (they'd just turned 4 on the 3rd), I decided it was the "right" time to test the waters on how they'd do with them (though, for the last couple of years they'd excitedly open each month's boxes with me... just not get theirs yet, except they'd already gotten the "hardier" beasts, giants, and wind raider, and played with them with their vintage toys.) their first regular figs (by their choices) were buzz-off, she-ra, adora, rattlor, demo-man, and prince adam/orko. they passed the "test" with flying colors, as they take very good care of them, even though they play with them literally every single day! *smile* so, they've since gotten every single 2013 release (they even MORE happily/excitedly open each month's boxes with me now, because now they get to open theirs at the same time daddy opens his!), as well as he-man, skeletor, mer-man, beast man, stratos, keldor, hordak, strobo, faker, evil-lyn, teela, scareglow, (and probably a couple others i'm forgetting right now.)
    my daughter kylie's favorites change regularly, but I would say hers are between she-ra, netossa, and he-man. my daughter teela's are without a doubt adora and catra (they're sisters "in her canon", and originally adora made catra a "good guy" by "giving her 3 cats", but nowadays the two of them regularly switch between being good guys or else being bad guys (at which point adora becomes "force captain adora." lol. honestly, everyone, if there's any means by which to do so... PLAY with these toys with (your) kids! it is absolutely the best way to relive and LIVE your love for this property, and share their new love of it with them! amazing! and, they do now say the new toys are "better than the old ones"...lol. (and FYI, they also have the plushies which teela sleeps with every night, and the 1987 movie is her repeatedly self-professed favorite movie! we watch the filmation shows almost every day, and whenever i'm not working they routinely ask me to "play he-man toys" with them! it's the best thing ever! masters of the universe is ALIVE!

And this is my biggest gripe about the direction the Comics are taking MOTU....but then again if you think of it, the Transformers G1 comics were quite violent....but seeing as how MOTU has no visual moving media....teh comics represent the only thing new....and therefore is not appropriate for kids....so all we have to share that's new is the toys. And of course the ever living FILMATION!
    Not sure I can see any issue with the violence. I just don't get the whole 'it's violent, therefore not for kids' mentality. Sure, my cartoons weren't particularly violent -- Thundercats, TMNT, He-Man, G.I. Joe, Thundarr, even X-Men: TAS and Batman: TAS weren't overly violent. At the same time, at a VERY young age myself and others in my age group were having sleep-overs to watch Predator and Rambo, were playing 'simulated violence' of cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, and 'army,' and a little later were playing video games like Mortal Kombat. I came out pretty well adjusted. Also, comic books had gotten pretty violent even by the early to mid '90s, when I was big into them.

By extension - my daughter, as an infant, used to fall asleep in my arms while I played Dragon Age or Borderlands. She watches Family Guy with me, sometimes swears along with me when the Bruins are losing, and watches most of the same stuff I do, including Law & Order and Die Hard - just for example. Yet, she's well-adjusted, polite, and highly intelligent.

All that is just to say - don't discount something as 'not for kids' just because you perceive it as 'violent.' If you do, you're insulting the childhood of every person that grew up reading the black and white Conan graphic novels and pretending to be Robocop in the back yard.

A little more on topic: My daughter has been watching Secret of the Sword nonstop. I need to find some She-Ra DVDs for her. She's also decided that she wants to be She-Ra for Halloween. She runs around the house with that stuffed power sword I got for her yelling 'For honor of the Grayskull, She-Ra!' - - pretty adorable and fills me with The Pride.

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDamien View Post
    Not sure I can see any issue with the violence. I just don't get the whole 'it's violent, therefore not for kids' mentality. Sure, my cartoons weren't particularly violent -- Thundercats, TMNT, He-Man, G.I. Joe, Thundarr, even X-Men: TAS and Batman: TAS weren't overly violent. At the same time, at a VERY young age myself and others in my age group were having sleep-overs to watch Predator and Rambo, were playing 'simulated violence' of cowboys and indians, cops and robbers, and 'army,' and a little later were playing video games like Mortal Kombat. I came out pretty well adjusted. Also, comic books had gotten pretty violent even by the early to mid '90s, when I was big into them.

By extension - my daughter, as an infant, used to fall asleep in my arms while I played Dragon Age or Borderlands. She watches Family Guy with me, sometimes swears along with me when the Bruins are losing, and watches most of the same stuff I do, including Law & Order and Die Hard - just for example. Yet, she's well-adjusted, polite, and highly intelligent.

All that is just to say - don't discount something as 'not for kids' just because you perceive it as 'violent.' If you do, you're insulting the childhood of every person that grew up reading the black and white Conan graphic novels and pretending to be Robocop in the back yard.

A little more on topic: My daughter has been watching Secret of the Sword nonstop. I need to find some She-Ra DVDs for her. She's also decided that she wants to be She-Ra for Halloween. She runs around the house with that stuffed power sword I got for her yelling 'For honor of the Grayskull, She-Ra!' - - pretty adorable and fills me with The Pride.
    Out of respect for others to not hi-jack this thread or take it off-topic, and to try to keep this civil, I had more to say, but I'll keep it to this.....

I don't think the violence in the new MOTU books is a necessity or right for kids, and that being my opinion, I am rightly justified and entitled to it. Your post is only your opinion, mine is mine.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; June 15, 2013 at 12:31am.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    honestly, everyone, if there's any means by which to do so... PLAY with these toys with (your) kids! it is absolutely the best way to relive and LIVE your love for this property, and share their new love of it with them! amazing!
    100% agree. It's absolutely the best thing about having these figures, and they were already pretty great on their own
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    This is actually really encouraging! I assumed that because they were intended as adult collectibles that they wouldn't by consequence be as sturdy as the vintage toys. Looks like I was wrong. Good on Mattel for not skimping. Well, other than Snout Spout's broken snout, but we won't reopen that particular wound here.
    I can attest to that too. My son has about 15 or 16 MOTUC and he plays with them like a 4 year-old boy (need I say more?). No problems. Not one is broken. On the other hand, when I handed down my 200x collection to him, MANY of those broke rather easily. Oh, and he LOVES to pop their heads off and interchange them and their accessories.

He has Snout Spout -- plays with him, bends his trunk in so many ways, no problem.

Others: Jitsu, Skeletor, He-Man, Blue Toys R Us Mer-Man, Drago-Man, Keldor, Count Marzo, Procrustus (one of his back arms did break off when he fell over and hit the floor, but super glue fixed that), Fearless Photog, Stratos, King Hiss, Kobra Kahn, Spikor, Vykron, Hordak and I may be missing one more.

No problems with any of them so far (except Procrustus, but he did hit a hard tiled floor).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by caine View Post
    My daughter is 10 years old. Every time my subscription figure arrives she is just as excited to see what I have. She wants all the girl characters from he man and POP. She has a teela, she-ra, sorceress, frosta and a hordak. She loves the POP figures.
    My kids too. In fact, my son is usually the first one to let me know that a package arrived for me when I walk in the door. I have a second sub but it's not always practical to just give him the other figure because: a. They're expensive, relatively; b. It's a parenting thing, I don't want to spoil the child, and c. (the big one) my daughter would feel left out (gotta be equal) and she really only has an interest in the animal ones and the females anymore -- gotta treat 'em fairly and in the eyes of an 8-year old girl, fair means equal.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. I guess I never really got the notion that the brand doesn't market well to today's kids. It seemed to me to be a lazy excuse for not marketing the brand well enough to those same kids and for the premature end to 200x (figures and 'toon).

Although Transformers had characters getting shot, blown up decapitated, etc,, the fact that they were robots meant the writer could get away with more violent content. They don't have blood, and they can be rebuilt. Even G.I. Joe, which featured terrorism and the armed forces, wasn't as dark and violent as the current MOTU comics.

Anyway, I don't have kids, but my 4 year old niece loves the vintage toys and cartoons. Her favourites are He-Man, She-Ra, Battle Cat, and the horses. I gave her Classics Cringer and the Giants to play with; they fit in quite nicely with the older toys.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Although Transformers had characters getting shot, blown up decapitated, etc,, the fact that they were robots meant the writer could get away with more violent content. They don't have blood, and they can be rebuilt. Even G.I. Joe, which featured terrorism and the armed forces, wasn't as dark and violent as the current MOTU comics.
    80's violence was nothing compared to what is allowed today....Transformer violence was like tossing out your old computer when it died, or taking it to a shop to be fixed, you knew it was coming back. (unless you were into it, like when Prime died, but he still came back)....GI Joe were constantly sending Cobra packing after attempts, but Cobra always came back the very next time.

But none of it was too violent for kids....this new MOTU comic however in my opinion is. The old comics were a little more violent, because they were comics and not TV, and not aimed at 4 year olds.

My point was, and is, that the MOTU Comics as the ONLY media trying to push the brand forward, is not appropriate for kids, not that it's actually aimed at them....

I certainly wouldn't let my son read through the pages just so he can wonder and ask me why Skeletor is holding Sorceress' head up without her body, he's 3 1/2.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    Gee. If I had kids I wouldn't let them near my action figures.
    This would truly be sad. If you had kids this is quite possibly the best experience as a MOTU fan. To pass down your childhood/adult passion to the ones you love and hopefully they learn to love it as well. Watching the cartoons with them & creating adventures with the vintage & classics figures. For me it's a blessing to be able & share this with my children. I hope someday you will have the opportunity to do this as well.

Here's my children's favorites:
    17 year old son: He-Man
    13 year old son: Roboto & Scareglow
    7 year old daughter: She-Ra and the animals (mounts)
    3 year old son: He-Man
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

Well, my son and I opened up Slush Head and Cy-Chop for Father's Day. We both vastly prefer Slush Head. He picked them both out, but Cy-Chop is one of those figures that looks worse in hand, not better. The giant scissors are ridiculous and ugly and have no place on a MOTU figure. They ruin what would have been an okay figure otherwise. Plus he takes up way too much shelf space.

Slush Head is pretty cool, though. He's the only NA figure that has a color scheme that I like. He looks like a monster from a 50s B horror movie, which is a good thing in my book. My son takes him with him on car rides now.
    By the ancients!!!

One non complainin' MOFO
    All of my kids adore Scare-Glow. My daughters 7&3 love Starla and Jewelstar respectively. My sons like He-Man and Cringer. They all like the animals as well. When new ones arrive they all huddle around and judge them and we read the bios together. Very fun time. On a side note they are all scared to death of Granamyr. Shouldn't have stood him up in front of them I guess hahaha.

Court Magician
    This is a fun thread! My kids love MOTU (probably more than any other toyline I collect), so I'm biased when I suggest that the brand could have some real potential for appealing to a younger crowd. All of them enjoy the MYP show, as well.

The 4 year old girl loves She-Ra, particularly Bubble Power She-Ra. The 2 year old boy also likes to pretend that he's either "Bubble Power Fe-Ra" or "He-Man".
    The 6 year old boy loves all of them, particularly Mekaneck, Strobo, Zodac, and Zodak. My 8 year old girl also thinks that they're cool overall.

master of hiphop
    I bring our 6 month old into my collection room and he just looks everwhere it's so cool to see, he held his first he-man a few weeks ago.. but like most he will have his own to destroy and it won't be in the room I have everything in glass cabinets so he can't get to them.. but it is awesome to see him look at everything..
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

I have 2 sons 11 and 9. They have been playing with the classics since they came out. Favorites are all the bad guys, but mostly Hordak, Leech, Grizzlor, Blue and Green Mer-Man, Webstor, Clawful Skeletor, and the snake men. They also love the Palace Guard and the FFM for all the different pieces and options. Draego-Man is a huge one as well... the only ones they really don't like are JewelStar, Netoss, Frosta they play with the other girls in their battles.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

My nephew was over yesterday eyeing up SOH.......he said Uncle Adam, If I had him and your witch I'd play with them everyday. I said I'm sure you would

My twin nephews were quite fond of Thunder Punch He-Man and Spikor. However they got a little too exuberant with Thunder Punch He-Man as he got some major battle damage to his face. Ow....
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

My son's new favorite is King Hiss. He can't set it down. He loves to change him from human to snakes and back again.
    By the ancients!!!