Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Chu Has Chosen GI: JOE 3 Over MOTU

Jon Chu Has Chosen GI: JOE 3 Over MOTU

Well, I can't say I'm surprised. It seems as though Chu has chosen to direct GI Joe 3 over MOTU. This is from Deadline Hollywood:

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures and MGM are making a deal with Jon M. Chu to direct another installment of G.I. Joe. It was Chu who essentially guided a do-over from 2009′s G. I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra, and it wasn’t the easiest process. The film was refashioned with Dwayne The Rock Johnson and Bruce Willis as its core leads. Even then, Paramount pulled the film from its 2012 release calendar (to make it 3D and do some creative enhancements) and did the same with World War Z (to shoot a whole new third act). It looks like the studio’s gamble will pay off in both cases. G.I. Joe: Retaliation came out in March to gross $365 million globally, and WWZ is beginning to generate positive buzz after being prematurely written off because of its production issues, now that people are seeing it’s a good movie.

It’s early days, but I’ve heard that Skydance Productions will be back in as financing partner with Paramount. The studio is meeting with a short list of four writers and should set one shortly. Chu has certainly broadened his reach, taking the G.I. Joe job after helming two Step Up dance movies and the Paramount documentary Never Say Never: Justin Bieber, a $13 million budget film that grossed $73 million domestic. Chu is repped by WME and Principato Young Entertainment.
    Also, Chu just tweeted this:
    Big decisions ahead... just trying to pick the right one... hmm...
    This means one of two things: either MOTU is dead or Sony are going to work quickly to find a replacement. We'll see very soon methinks. I liked the idea of Chu directing it, so I'm a little disappointed. I just hope MOTU hasn't died.....again.

Different films get made at different times, so it might not mean anything in particular.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Well I am available.

..now, when ever.

Court Magician
    Why does everybody afraid to make MOTU - the people who at least know how to make movies. We will never get Jackson, Del Torro and those guys, but even little dudes afraid to do it. **** him i have disliked his FB page

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Why does everybody afraid to make MOTU - the people who at least know how to make movies. We will never get Jackson, Del Torro and those guys, but even little dudes afraid to do it. **** him i have disliked his FB page
    LOL, seriously??? You disliked him on facebook, that is hilarious. I could care less I didn't find Retaliation to be very good anyways.

All this means is that there is funding and a green light for GI Joe 3. The MOTU movie has never had either of those, so it will continue to sit on the backburner. Sadly I don't think this project will ever get off the ground.

honestly id much rather see a animated flick like the dc direct to blu-ray stuff.. dont know if a live action would look right or do the property justice.. IMO
    "I DENY YOU THE NIDUS!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Different films get made at different times, so it might not mean anything in particular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    All this means is that there is funding and a green light for GI Joe 3. The MOTU movie has never had either of those, so it will continue to sit on the backburner. Sadly I don't think this project will ever get off the ground.
    I think the two of you have nailed it on the head, not to mention directors can and DO work on multiple films in a year - especially when they are at various stages of production.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    I think if people ever walk away from a project it's a good thing. They obviously don't have command of the material or feel confident enough that they can pull it off. If Chu HAS to decide between the two properties, he already knows his ideas/visions paid off for G.I. Joe so why take a gamble on an untested movie?

Hopefully, someone will take the lead who knows the value of the property. The movie WILL get made, they're just trying to figure out how to do it.

I for one hope the film is done with absolute respect and not done in a cheeky nod to the filmmation cartoon. To me the best version would be a blend of Conan, Star Wars, LOTR and even 300 (although I always prefer effects to be done in camera as much as possible).

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    LOL, seriously??? You disliked him on facebook, that is hilarious. I could care less I didn't find Retaliation to be very good anyways.
    Yeah i totally agree with you About the FB i even never heard about dude before he was attached to MOTU, so why should i have him (you know no news for me from that mofo anymore). About retaliation - well i did like it because of it's simplicity

I hope it gets passed off to a better director

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    honestly id much rather see a animated flick like the dc direct to blu-ray stuff.. dont know if a live action would look right or do the property justice.. IMO
    I tend to agree. It's easier to portray big muscley dudes in furry shorts in animation than live action.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

if this project does not end on green light, after nearly four years with the rights, I hope mattel will make great demand on sony.
    if sony was not interested in the movie they should to return the movie rights to Mattel after two years, that is the normal time frame, but now after 4 years of wasting time to mattel, this can not end in anything but green light .

Chu said "Big decisions ahead ... just trying to pick the right one ... hmm ..." , if the motu project would be dead , this would not have been a difficult decision. I guess the two projects are for 2015 and had to choose one of them.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; June 12, 2013 at 06:42pm.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

GI Joe is where the money's at for him right now, so that's a smart decision for a director who wants to keep making movies.
    If I were in his position, I'd take GI 3 over MOTU, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I tend to agree. It's easier to portray big muscley dudes in furry shorts in animation than live action.
    I never had a problem with Conan or 300. It's not really unrealistic to portray the characters dressed as we know them from the toys and cartoon. I'm sure they won't have everyone wearing the same boots or fur shorts, but fantasy films have existed before wearing the same amount or less

I just hope they aren't afraid of some of the characters colors and decide to have all the Masters wear black ala the X-Men. It is an alien planet/universe after all. Films tend to limit color palettes or desaturate hues with this kind of subject matter - but I think an extremely colorful, super saturated look could look very cool.

In all honesty, I don’t actually blame him for choosing GI Joe 3. I kind of expected something like this to happen. Likely, he was offered more freedom on that than what Sony and Mattel were offering him on MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yes, this is true. However, look at his tweet. It’s very possible that he was referring to a toss up between MOTU and GI Joe. I’m going to go out on a limb and say Jon Chu is not helming MOTU anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    if this project does not end on green light, after nearly four years with the rights, I hope mattel will make great demand on sony. if sony was not interested in the movie they should to return the movie rights to Mattel after two years, that is the normal time frame, but now after 4 years of wasting time to mattel, this can not end in anything but green light .

Chu said "Big decisions ahead ... just trying to pick the right one ... hmm ..." , if the motu project would be dead , this would not have been a difficult decision. I guess the two projects are for 2015 and had to choose one of them.
    All good points. I didn't think of any of that.
    Last edited by Krueger; June 12, 2013 at 09:17pm.

I posted a message on the Escape Artists facebook to generate a reaction and the funny thing is they reply.

I hope Mattel will make a great demand to Sony if after four years with the rights, the He-Man film ends in nothing.total time lost to Mattel.

EA: Did you know Forrest Gump took 10 years to make?
    https://www.facebook.com/EscapeArtistsEnt?ref=stream
    MOTULA.ORG

Haha, that is funny. I hope this doesn’t take that long. I wonder if Forest Gump was in development for ten years at the same studio? Might have to look that up. Funny thing is, MOTU has actually been in development of sorts for almost ten years. Just at different studios. I remember the deal with Fox was first announced in 2004.

More from Escape Artists

if I am not mistaken Sony and you extended the contract to 2015,so I do not see many chances beyond that year.

EA:We've had a first look deal with Sony since 2001 and we certainly hope to be here past 2015! Thanks for all of your enthusiasm and passion for this project. We are working hard to make the script the best it can be for all of you dedicated fans.
    Hmm let's forget about this for a while.
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    Hmm let's forget about this for a while.
    I think that's the way to go, TBH. I'm still of the opinion that it will happen eventually, but I'm no longer going to make any guesses as to when it will happen.

Giving it some more thought 2015 is already looking absurdly overcrowded with sequels and such. A newcomer like MOTU would stand a serious chance of suffering the same fate as Battleship, which found itself in a similar situation. Just saying.
    Last edited by Krueger; June 18, 2013 at 09:30pm.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Never forget.

If he bails on MOTU, it is fiiiiiiiiiiine with me!

That's cool that Escape Artists is replying! I think that's a good sign. And I hope this doesn't come off as sounding pretentious, but I work in the film biz and that's a great point about Forrest Gump taking 10 years, since that isn't uncommon. Heck, I remember when Avatar came out and being annoyed that all the "Entertainment Tonight" type shows kept hyping the fact that "James Cameron had been working on that FOR 10 WHOLE YEARS!' because the information that most people aren't privy to is the fact that your average crappy movie can easily take 4 or 5 years to make, so taking 10 to make an Oscar winner isn't a big deal, especially special-effect heavy ones. Long story short, don't give up hope for MOTU just yet!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Jon Chu isn't the right fit for this film and I thought that from the get-go.

I would really like to see Ang Lee at the helm. Yes...I know the Hulk stunk but after seeing Life of Pi, I'm back in. Ang Lee, IMO, has an eye for making the most visually beautiful films.
    We're not getting a James Cameron to recreate Eternia...but I think Ang Lee has an eye that could really bring it to life and make you want to go there.

I'm actually quite happy that Chu is not going to direct this movie. I prefer someone like Leterrier or even more high profile
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    I never had a problem with Conan or 300. It's not really unrealistic to portray the characters dressed as we know them from the toys and cartoon. I'm sure they won't have everyone wearing the same boots or fur shorts, but fantasy films have existed before wearing the same amount or less

I just hope they aren't afraid of some of the characters colors and decide to have all the Masters wear black ala the X-Men. It is an alien planet/universe after all. Films tend to limit color palettes or desaturate hues with this kind of subject matter - but I think an extremely colorful, super saturated look could look very cool.
    I agree it can be done (the half-naked male heroes thing) but I think it's a harder sell in general.

Agreed about colors too. MOTU isn't MOTU without the bright colors. I think that The Avengers proved that you don't have to dress everyone in blacks and grays in live action super hero films.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Chu is absolute garbage, GI Joe 2 showed that. So trust me, this is a good thing. Granted, MOTU will probably end up with another hack, but celebrate the fact that some two bit hack director doesn't have this right now. Small victories.
    Toys, Movies, TV Shows and more reviewed at the pop culture mega site... INFINITE HOLLYWOOD.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    MOTU could have done a lot worse than a director who made an 80's property movie that a lot of people really like and made a lot of money.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats