Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Subscription Octavia has ARRIVED!

Ok having now posed her and set her with the rest of the Horde, she seriously makes me want Scorpia and Entrapta

I got her on Saturday. Awesome figure!
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

I was getting sick of the overused crossbow accessory, but the Cthulhu head on this one is great.

I thought she was supposed to come with a Horde armband? Dropped for cost?

I don't believe there was ever an armband - it wasn't part of the original design, so if they'd added it I would have noticed pretty quick Octavia is one of my favs.

So the figure looks terrific...except for the FLIPPING PIZZA SLICE!

To all those who are call this a "loin cloth" - it is NOT a loin cloth! It is a MISTAKE!

...and I'm putting it in bold because it's that upsetting to me. If He-Man was released with board shorts, or capris pants or a thong, folks would be CHEESED OFF and they wouldn't just write it off with a shrug.

Mattel keeps messing these female figures up with bizarre crotch pieces. No More Pizza Slice! No More Granny Panties! No More Droopy Drawers! Enough!

DON'T just sit there and say "oh whatever, I don't care" because that tells them it's not a big enough issue.

I would gladly have gone without the crossbow if it meant Mattel using their heads to give her the proper unitard/panties.

Honestly at this point it's like they're TRYING to come up with new ways to mess up something very, very simple.

...but again - she's a favourite character of mine, so I'm looking forward to getting her.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I don't believe there was ever an armband - it wasn't part of the original design, so if they'd added it I would have noticed pretty quick Octavia is one of my favs.

So the figure looks terrific...except for the FLIPPING PIZZA SLICE!

To all those who are call this a "loin cloth" - it is NOT a loin cloth! It is a MISTAKE!

...and I'm putting it in bold because it's that upsetting to me. If He-Man was released with board shorts, or capris pants or a thong, folks would be CHEESED OFF and they wouldn't just write it off with a shrug.

Mattel keeps messing these female figures up with bizarre crotch pieces. No More Pizza Slice! No More Granny Panties! No More Droopy Drawers! Enough!

DON'T just sit there and say "oh whatever, I don't care" because that tells them it's not a big enough issue.

I would gladly have gone without the crossbow if it meant Mattel using their heads to give her the proper unitard/panties.

Honestly at this point it's like they're TRYING to come up with new ways to mess up something very, very simple.

...but again - she's a favourite character of mine, so I'm looking forward to getting her.
    I agree with you 100%!!!!! This has to be addressed. It's weird to me how some people write it off as not being a big deal. I bet everyone's minds will change if Glimmer turns out this way. It also looks like Shokoti will suffer the same fate after looking at the packaged figure in Scott's Comet Warriors video. I don't think this is some type of conspiracy, but I do think they need to look into this and prevent it from happening to future releases.

For those orgers that have her, have any of you tried to fix this issue? Is the bottom part of her unitard made of softer plastic or harder thick plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    I agree with you 100%!!!!! This has to be addressed. It's weird to me how some people write it off as not being a big deal. I bet everyone's minds will change if Glimmer turns out this way. It also looks like Shokoti will suffer the same fate after looking at the packaged figure in Scott's Comet Warriors video. I don't think this is some type of conspiracy, but I do think they need to look into this and prevent it from happening to future releases.

For those orgers that have her, have any of you tried to fix this issue? Is the bottom part of her unitard made of softer plastic or harder thick plastic?
    I agree as well!

I honestly hoped the reviews would have addressed that but since there won't be a review it makes no sense speculating about it.

Hopefully Shokoti will have a real leotard instead of a Pizza loincloth piece and if not maybe her review sample comes out in time for all the reviewers to comment on.
    Last edited by Niki; June 16, 2013 at 05:27pm.
    *Peekablue *Mermista *Toy version Catra(red Prototype) *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Lizard-Man *Zilora *Granita *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Tung Lashor

I agree with you 100%!!!!! This has to be addressed. It's weird to me how some people write it off as not being a big deal. I bet everyone's minds will change if Glimmer turns out this way. It also looks like Shokoti will suffer the same fate after looking at the packaged figure in Scott's Comet Warriors video.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I write it off because I don't think it looks bad. If Glimmer or Shokoti end up with something that looks more akin to a skirt than a unitard and it looks good- then I'm not going to mind. I think the crotches of Jewelstar and Tallstar look awful, with Adora coming up close behind them. If their outfits had ended up looking either like a pointed skirt like Octavia, or if they had the form-fitting unitard like Captain Glenn, I would have been a fan of either look. But as they all turned out, they looked frumpy, ill-conceived, or unfinished somehow. But Octavia looks like she's just sporting a skirt, so that's why this fan is satisfied with how she turned out. I know not everyone loves it, and I understand wanting her to look exactly like she appeared in the cartoon and that if that's what they were going for- yes they fudged it up- but that's just an explanation of why I happen to think she looks okay as is.

Also, you know how they can avoid this for the impending releases of Glimmer and Angella? Give 'em their toy outfits... skirt, pantaloons? HOLLA!

Heroic Warrior
    To the guys from the dreaded design team: just respect the Four Horsemen's sculpt as seen in the prototypes.

That's the thing, for me it is not an issue. Everyone has their own opinions. Nobody is right or wrong, it is just how we look at things.

Yes. They are purposely trying to mess up a line they have millions invested in....

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I agree with DisneyBoy 200%. Thank you.

Now if there are people who don't mind the way it looks that is one thing. Personal taste and preferences and all that. What I don't like is when people partake in "revisionist history" and make out like she is "correct" because she is wearing a "skirt" when that is not what the character was wearing in the media in which she was portrayed. And it is not the first time that it has happened, I remember in Toyguru's commentary blog on Adora when he talked about the way her leotard turned out and referred to it as a tunic. Which it is not, in any picture of her ever. if you like how it looks great! But please don't make out like she was always like that. Because cartoon episodes, nor the toy prototype agree.

As far as it being tied to some kind of conspiracy against POP or female figures...while I'm not "there" so to speak I can understand how others could see it. My views are that someone(s) at Mattel involved in the design and execution of the figures just doesn't care enough about the female figures that they let these things slide past and move on to the next "more important" figure. It is just a hunch, and I am also not saying it is a specific person, because I don't have that kind of knowledge.

So I don't see a conspiracy, I just see sloppiness. Grey Frosta's, Adora's "Granny Panties/Tunic bottom", droopy legs on Tallstar, and now this...just sloppy mistakes because someone just didn't care enough about these particular figures.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

The "loincloth" should have looked more like this, but ultimately should be like Captain Glenn for any leotard outfits. The pizza slice looks like the piece came undone from underneath the figure and needs to be reglued.

DSCN1658__scaled_600.jpg
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

Im sorry...no Im not... The prototype, while better, was/is incorrect.
    Octavia wears a unitard. The bottoms should fit like a bathing suit. Mattel is doing what is easier and not what is best for the female figures...and a few of the male figures.
    If the can do this for Bow use it on Flip Shot, Snout Spout...how is it so freaking hard to do it on the female figures!
    It is very frustrating for fans who have always wanted Octavia have her end up with sloppy craftsmanship!
    If youre fine with the figure...great for you but you probably never wanted her until you saw the prototype...
    Also...it is a concern that whoever cant figure out any consistany in quality when its their job!! There are more female figures who are more fan demanded than Octavia and they need to figure it out and make it work!
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    It is very frustrating for fans who have always wanted Octavia have her end up with sloppy craftsmanship!
    If youre fine with the figure...great for you but you probably never wanted her until you saw the prototype...
    Personally, I've wanted an Octavia figure since the '80s.
    I'm sure ToyGuru or the Horsemen will clarify the intent of the design, but I can't look at it and see it as something that wasn't glued properly in place due to sloppiness at the factory. It looks intentional, like at some point someone making the decisions thought "skirt" and that's what it is now.
    I'm curious to see Shokoti, because more than Octavia, she is somebody I have been dying to see in action figure form for almost 30 years now. And while I know in Filmation she's supposed to have a unitard, if she comes out as an action figure with a pointy skirt too I'm not going to get out the pitchforks if- at the end of the day- overall she looks great.

You've no reasson to be snide with me...
    Poor craftsmanship also involves the design and as pointed out she does not wear a skirt.
    As you pointed out someone thought skirt.
    Ill say it again, Mattel....figure it out! I hardly think wanting someone(s) to do a good job for my money is, as you've so eloquently said "breaking out pitch forks".
    Stinkor, King Hiss...overall they are good looking figures but still have poor decisions made...snout spout too...
    Hey if youve got the money not to care...more power to ya.
    I personally, for $25 before shipping & taxes, want a figure to look how its souce material depicts it and has quality materials...
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I haven't gotten mine yet, but on Octavia the pizza slice doesn't bother me. I take it to look like some strange armor with a pointy bottom, rather than a leotard. But I agree with the lot of you when I say that I'll be upset if Glimmer comes with the granny panties problem.

I'd like to suggest that if they expect this to be an ongoing problem (which I don't understand, since they seemed to master it with the Marlena leotard), that they should go ahead and utilize the skirt design from Glimmer's vintage toy.

I don't see an issue with the skirt on her. It adds variety to the ladies and regardless of her appearance on the show I think it looks good. The gray on frosta was a problem to me but this is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    That's the thing, for me it is not an issue. Everyone has their own opinions. Nobody is right or wrong, it is just how we look at things.

Yes. They are purposely trying to mess up a line they have millions invested in....
    In a way....kind of, they have done nothing to remedy the Female buck of the same problems they have faced since 2009....off and on Bobble heads, that stupid long neck peg still finds its way to random figures....the ankles are still loose, and sometimes knees, and they still lack new thighs to go with trying to give them more rump....flat thighs and a rump, do not look right, the only one they got it right on so far was Frosta. And now, they are starting to cut the boot cut articulation....so yeah, instead of making the Females better, it seems they lost even more interest in them.

The only thing they've done right by the Female buck is making the outfits look like they are more curvier, and adding the waist swivel....since 2009.

The men have seen tighter joints, much tighter joints and new boots without the peg holes, and a much wider variety of characters on the male buck. The girls, are left to suffer....

Mattel, fix the damn Female buck, and stop neglecting it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I don't see an issue with the skirt on her. It adds variety to the ladies and regardless of her appearance on the show I think it looks good. The gray on frosta was a problem to me but this is not.
    To me, neither is an issue honestly. I love Frosta for one thing, the gray doesn't even bother me at all, sure she should have been friggin white, but she's not....and I can live with it. It's not like they made the white parts black or something, she still looks like Frosta, and it works for me. The only thing that bothers me about her is the thigh pegs not painted blue....it stands out a lot.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Just checked my mail and there she was. Pretty cool, head doesnt fit perfectly with the tentacles but it will do. Bring on Scorpia!!!!
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

I don't see the thread for mattels order day. What time is she going up for sale tomorrow? I'm in md . Thanks for any info. I didn't see any time listed on mattels site either.

It doesn't matter if the shorts are passable on Octavia or not, they're not correct. That they actually look okay is a fluke. This is something that SHOULD be corrected. We got lucky with Octavia, this needs to be fixed.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    Octavia wears a unitard. The bottoms should fit like a bathing suit. Mattel is doing what is easier and not what is best for the female figures...and a few of the male figures...
    Also...it is a concern that whoever cant figure out any consistany in quality when its their job!! There are more female figures who are more fan demanded than Octavia and they need to figure it out and make it work!
    The problem is that it is more difficult to get a unitard bottom on the female crotch piece. If it wasn't, you wouldn't see them redesign the female buck and have it end up worse than the original complete with female dumpy crotch. I assume the best you could hope for to look good and keep most articulation would be the prototype design. A wrap around leotard is way harder to do on the female buck than on the guys. Their legs are closer together and the hips are wider. Sure it should be possible, but, you know, design choices.

Man, I don't care what anybody says to me it just looks weird. I don't see many skirts that are shaped like pizza slices. My main concern is going forward are you guys okay with all of the females wearing unitards looking this way. The only reason I think that it's not as noticeable with Octavia is that she is a monster like creature. It will look more odd on characters like Glimmer and Angella. I also think that the majority of people that are okay with it are people that weren't really familiar or fans of Octavia to begin with.

When you think of it this will probably be the only time we ever see a figure of this character and to see it be botched by something so odd is baffling to me. With that being said I still think that Octavia is a beautiful and striking figure. She is one of the best females thus far. I just don't want to see anymore pointy pizza slice looking bottoms they really ruin the overall look of the figure and make it look sloppy.

My main concern is going forward are you guys okay with all of the females wearing unitards looking this way. The only reason I think that it's not as noticeable with Octavia is that she is a monster like creature. It will look more odd on characters like Glimmer and Angella. I also think that the majority of people that are okay with it are people that weren't really familiar or fans of Octavia to begin with.
    I think this is a good point. It doesn't bother me because she's an evil character so the pointy skirt seems to fit. I don't think it looks bad/wrong on its own, though I understand it's not accurate. As much as I like the character, I'm not a huge Filmation buff so I don't demand 100% accuracy. But I understand those who might be upset, and I definitely think this would be weird on a heroic female human character.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    The Triangle-dangling piece needs to be fixed going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    The "loincloth" should have looked more like this, but ultimately should be like Captain Glenn for any leotard outfits. The pizza slice looks like the piece came undone from underneath the figure and needs to be reglued.

DSCN1658__scaled_600.jpg
    Exactly. It was done right here, so what's the deal?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

Got her in Sydney, Australia this morning. About 8 hours ago.

Couldn't care less about the skirt - looks fine to me.

Though you could glue it up there if it really bugs you.