Thread: Fisto skin tone vs He-Man

Fisto skin tone vs He-Man

I want to do a "Wonder Bread" custom because I'm not going to drop $600 on the real deal. I think it would save a lot of painting time if I use a Fisto body with He-Man arms & head, keeping the brown plastic trunks while also gaining a bonus gimmick. With all the country variants made, does any one Fisto match reasonably close to any version of He-Man/Battle Armor He-Man/commemorative He-Man?

I used a Fisto since his shorts are the right color, but then you're Wonderbread He-Man will have a power punch.

(I sold him, for way too little at the time)

Only problem with using Fisto is that the chest piece is matched to his oversized upper arms, so He-Man arms look a little odd on it.

I'm more concerned over matching the skin tones than exact arm size, if I were that concerned over "authenticity" I'd buy a real one. This is going to be a collecting cheat no matter what. I need to know which country releases to best match to.

- - - Updated - - -

Aside from needing to match skin tones between these figures, I also have a King Randor that is mostly perfect except for tarnished gold paint. Green spot on the armor, no big deal to touch up, but the wrist bands... does anyone know what their original color was? All copies look brown but all copies also look bad and I can see a spot of green on one wrist. MOTUC went with gold but they are not always exact to the vintage details. Is there photo proof of what those originally were?

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I'm more concerned over matching the skin tones than exact arm size, if I were that concerned over "authenticity" I'd buy a real one. This is going to be a collecting cheat no matter what. I need to know which country releases to best match to.

- - - Updated - - -

Aside from needing to match skin tones between these figures, I also have a King Randor that is mostly perfect except for tarnished gold paint. Green spot on the armor, no big deal to touch up, but the wrist bands... does anyone know what their original color was? All copies look brown but all copies also look bad and I can see a spot of green on one wrist. MOTUC went with gold but they are not always exact to the vintage details. Is there photo proof of what those originally were?
    Here's an MOC example:

Before

After

Krylon gold leafing pen + copper leafing pen matched the factory gold, then sealed with satin varnish

Before
    https://i.imgur.com/JYDygyJ.jpg

After
    https://i.imgur.com/mQABEI9.jpg

Krylon gold leafing pen + copper leafing pen matched the factory gold, then sealed with satin varnish
    WOW!!!!!!! you did a great job, it looks really smooth.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...2&d=1505511953

I'm not even sure what parts I used. I can't remember. I believe it was a Fisto body and arm. I think the other arm was from a Prince Adam. I got really close to matching the arms. You might be able to tell from the photo that one is painted and the other is not. But they still match very well.
    Click here to check out my other drawings!

I have 2 Fistos here now, the one stamped HONG KONG has a skin tone pretty close to Commemorative He-Man. The other one is much lighter. Unfortunately the HK I have has some green discoloration on the legs so I can't use it, it'll probably be a spare to ride Stridor at some point.

With all this talk I decided to make another WonderBread He-Man:

(I used him in this video, because he had loose legs, and it shows how to replace the Leg Band from another figure)

- - - Updated - - -

I have 2 Fistos here now, the one stamped HONG KONG has a skin tone pretty close to Commemorative He-Man. The other one is much lighter. Unfortunately the HK I have has some green discoloration on the legs so I can't use it, it'll probably be a spare to ride Stridor at some point.
    I thought the commemorative arm sockets were a little different?

- - - Updated - - -

The Fisto I just used in the video was made in Hong Kong. The He-Man's Head and Arms I used was a Battle Armor He-Man from Taiwan.

The arm pegs are different, but with some experimenting I found that a Comm arm can be made to fit a vintage shoulder peg by adding some super glue to the inside rim to thicken it. I haven't found an ideal solution for a vintage arm on a comm figure though. The shapes are slightly different and I think comm pegs are a slight bit thicker as well, vintage arms will come off when moved due to being too small to really fit or grab, while comm arms are a bit too wide to grip a vintage shoulder fully. The pegs are also slightly different length, comm a slight bit longer- file down a vintage peg some, no change on comm.

The arm pegs are different, but with some experimenting I found that a Comm arm can be made to fit a vintage shoulder peg by adding some super glue to the inside rim to thicken it. I haven't found an ideal solution for a vintage arm on a comm figure though. The shapes are slightly different and I think comm pegs are a slight bit thicker as well, vintage arms will come off when moved due to being too small to really fit or grab, while comm arms are a bit too wide to grip a vintage shoulder fully. The pegs are also slightly different length, comm a slight bit longer- file down a vintage peg some, no change on comm.
    Good to know.

What did you think of the video?

I think it's the first to show how to salvage a vintage leg band, as most leg fixes just use the screw eyes & o-ring method. Most leg bands that need fixed are stretched or broken anyway, and I would guess that, even though some collectors would prefer original bands, the fact they are so old, time consuming to remove and could require sacrificing another good figure, most collectors wouldn't deal with the hassle and just do the easy method for something that's not even visible. I won't even bother unless the band is so bad the feet refuse to sit flat. My Randor & Stinkor are rather bad but they still sit flat so I let them balance and will deal with it if they get worse but not yet.

But this method may work better for Rio Blast. That figure has empty leg compartments that screw eyes will poke right into, as I found out the hard way.

That made me tired just watching, heh. Not a lot of fun messing around with leg bands, but I was really proud of myself when I did my first successful o-ring. It was my Spikor. He had a gimpy left leg that eventually snapped off when I twisted it. He's good now.
    Click here to check out my other drawings!

I think it's the first to show how to salvage a vintage leg band, as most leg fixes just use the screw eyes & o-ring method. Most leg bands that need fixed are stretched or broken anyway, and I would guess that, even though some collectors would prefer original bands, the fact they are so old, time consuming to remove and could require sacrificing another good figure, most collectors wouldn't deal with the hassle and just do the easy method for something that's not even visible. I won't even bother unless the band is so bad the feet refuse to sit flat. My Randor & Stinkor are rather bad but they still sit flat so I let them balance and will deal with it if they get worse but not yet.

But this method may work better for Rio Blast. That figure has empty leg compartments that screw eyes will poke right into, as I found out the hard way.
    A good plan would be just to cast them so you wouldn't have to waste a figure each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    That made me tired just watching, heh. Not a lot of fun messing around with leg bands, but I was really proud of myself when I did my first successful o-ring. It was my Spikor. He had a gimpy left leg that eventually snapped off when I twisted it. He's good now.
    Thanks for the input, I might remake it shorter.

- - - Updated - - -