Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Club Eternia - "Reselling" Extra Subs - A Discussion

2014 Club Eternia - "Reselling" Extra Subs - A Discussion

Hello Fellow He-Fans & She-Ravers,

I have been pondering this topic for over a month, since Glimmer arrived. Now that Hydron & the Unnamed One have showed up on my doorstep, it is pressing on my mind even more.
    Note - This is NOT an advertisement of sale. This is a frank discussion of my "reselling" experience that presents a true accounting representation.

Question 1 - How many people bought extra subs to help "save the line" and now are having a horrible time selling these extras?
    Question 2 - How do you think this will affect 2015 subscription sales?
    Question 3 - Why do fans expect retailers like BBTS to invest in this line, when it is completely obvious that there is no profitable margin return for anyone but Mattel?

I bought 6 subscriptions to help push the line through. I know that this contribution is no where near members like yodafreakmaster & MOTU_Maniac, but it was all I felt comfortable that I could safely afford.

So, it began with an initial investment of $160.91 back in July 2013 with the initial sign-up fee ($25 x 6 = $150) and MN state tax (10.91). Now I know this was all for the Unnamed One, but it was money put out in July 2013 that had no potential of return for 8 months (August 13 through March 14).

Then January 2014 finally arrived and it wasn't a horrible month. My order cost $181.28: Two Bad $150 ($25 x 6), MN state tax and S&H $31.28. Therefore each Two-Bad actually cost me $30.21. I kept two Two-Bads for myself and sold the remaining four on eBay. After eBay fees, Paypal fees, actual shipping costs, and actual associated packing costs, I grossed a total of $195.17. The net profit after cost was $13.89! Wow, a great month. Not only did I get my two Two-Bads for free, I also made $13.89. This can be calculated as a net profit of $74.33 ($60.44 (figures I kept) plus $13.89 profit) This whole supporting the line thing isn't too bad!

Then came February. I had been very nervous, but I was feeling more confident. How little did I know what was going to happen. My order cost $446.17: Glimmer $150 ($25 x 6), Modulok $240 ($40 x 6), MN State Tax $32.18, and S&H $23.99. The plan was the same, keep 2 Glimmer and 2 Modulok and sell off the rest to cover my cost. I knew it wouldn't be an amazing month like January, but I hoped to cover the actual figure costs of Glimmer ($29.15 each) & Modulok ($45.21 each). Off to eBay they went again. As expected, the Modulok sold easily, but not as profitable as Two-Bad. On the other hand, Glimmer only sold once. On the Moduloks, I grossed $180.99, which after cost of $45.21 each, left me a net profit of $0.15. Yes, 15 cents. Glimmer grossed $27.75, which after cost of 29.15, left me a net loss of -$1.40. Plus, I had 3 Glimmers left with a cost of $87.45. February was not as great as January, but at least I moved the Moduloks for my cost; however, I was definitely behind on Glimmer. I wasn't feeling much better, but I knew I had great luck in January, so I had a buffer ($74.33 gain + $0.15 gain - 1.40 loss - 87.45 inventory = 14.37 loss) for Glimmer's poor performance. I figured I'd just hold onto them and see what happens.

Which brings us to March. The Unnamed One had been leaked and the reviews were not positive. I was feeling very uneasy that the Club Exclusive figure was going to be another Preternia Disguise He-Man & King He-Man and not a hit like Shadow Weaver. I never expected it to be a "big" hit like Shadow Weaver, but I was hoping for at least Two Bad level performance on it. It is a club exclusive after all ! The March bill came in at $187.54: Hydron $150 ($25 x 6), MN State Tax $13.52, and S&H $23.99. Of course, I had to factor in the original subscription fee of $160.91 for the Unnamed One. This brought the monthly cost total to $348.42, which calculated actual costs as Hydron $29.04 each and the Unnamed One at $29.03 each. This month's plan was only to keep 1 of each and sell off the remaining five. I have them on eBay, the ORG marketplace, and multiple other He-Man venues. Along with the leftover Glimmers, not a single prospective buyer has come along. To make the matter even worse, it seems like a LOT of people are trying to get rid of their Hydrons as quick as possible. I see them on eBay for $25 shipped and some even less on the ORG marketplace. Each Hydron cost me $29.04. How can I sell and break even, when there are people taking a huge losses already on eBay. $25 shipped on eBay would result in a potential gross of only $14.50 ! ($2.50 eBay fees, $1.00 paypal fees, and estimated $7 priority mail shipping). If I sold for $25 shipped on eBay, that would be a loss of $14.54 ($29.04 - $14.50)!

But what about the Unnamed One? The average completed auction right now appears to be $50 - $60 shipped. After the fees and shipping costs, these would gross between $36.00 and $44.60. After UNO cost of $29.03, they potentially could net $6.97 to $15.57 (est $7 S&H values). So, assume I bite the bullet and sell Hydron for $25 shipped and UNO for $50 shipped. IF I could even sell all five, Hydron would have net loss of $72.70 ($145.20 original cost - $72.50 proceeds) and the Unnamed One would have a net profit of $34.85 ($145.15 original cost - $180.00 proceeds). At the end of it all, I'd still be sitting on 3 Glimmers and net loss of $37.85 for the month of March. Even though I arguably made a January Two Bad profit of $74.33 and Modulok profit of $0.15, I am currently sitting on unsold product worth $377.80 (Glimmer $29.15 x 3, Hydron $29.04 x 5, and UNO $29.03 x 5). If I sell off Hydron and UNO as described above, and even Glimmer at $25 shipped (which would have a loss of $14.65 each, $43.95 loss total), I would have a net loss $8.72 (Two Bad Profit $74,33, Modulok Profit $0.15, Glimmer Loss $45.35, Hydron Loss $72.70, UNO Profit $34.85 = $8.72). So potentially, after 3 months of "supporting the line", struggling to sell off product, and hopefully doing so, I still operate at a net LOSS of $8.72! I'm not a business, but that is not a smart business investment strategy.

Those are the figures and the facts. I'm nervous now and I'm concerned about my financial viability to continue subscribing if I continue to sit on unsold items and figures that I can't even break even on. I only bought six subscriptions. I can't imagine the feelings that some people that bought even more subscriptions could be feeling. I'm even more nervous about coming months, specifically the month with Battle Lion. I'm seriously doubting I made a smart decision. Why did I feel pressured and obligated to help "save the line"? This isn't my job, it's Mattel's! Due to these feelings, I only purchased the personally needed two subscriptions for Club Etheria. If I can't sell Glimmer, I surely can't sell Double Trouble!

Disclaimer - Financial calculations do not account for how my costs would differentiate if I had only bought 2 subscriptions versus 6 subscriptions. I wouldn't have the hassle of reselling as many unwanted items, but I'd have a slightly higher per figure cost due to a difference between shipping costs on two items vs six items. Makes me wonder if the slightly higher cost isn't simply worth skipping out on the hassle.

Now onto the discussion: How many of you are experiencing similar issues will reselling figures? Do you feel that you made a smart decision to "support the line" ? Are you nervous about certain months or items this year? Do these actual financials make you think differently about how you view "reselling" or "resellers"? How in the world do true retailers make any profit on this line to make it worth their time and investment? Any other discussions?

Thanks for reading.
    Kowl

Post Note - After reading some responses below, I realized that I forgot to mention that all of the figures I sold on eBay went to buyers in Germany or Austria. The Glimmer was sold to a member here on the ORG in the US.
    Last edited by Kowl; March 23, 2014 at 07:28pm.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Interesting read. I suspect you will have a harder time with the rest of the year. They put the heavy hitters in Q1.

I too bought an extra sub last year, making it 2 instead of just 1. Of course that's nowhere near the 6 you bought, or the dozens others bought, but even those 2 subs, heck even just 1 sub, puts a lot of strain on my financial situation every month. Don't make that much money. But I love the line, and we all do what we can to keep it going.

So yes, on the one hand I bought an additional sub to support the line, but I also did it to justify having my figured shipped express this year. I'm in Germany and it usually took about 4-6 weeks for my figures to arrive. I didn't want to wait that long for them anymore. So I bought an extra sub to help offset the higher shipping costs.

The plan for the extra sub was always to sell it off on ebay, maybe keep a figure here and there if it's an army builder or something (though it looks like there won't be one this year. Bummer). Anyway, that's exactly what i've been doing since January. Put the extra sub on ebay.

And so far, I'm really happy with it, one of the best decisions ever. Right now, nearly 3/4 of my total costs for BOTH subs have been covered by the figures I sold. Meaning I got my regular sub for approx half the price, and also have the faster shipping (they're here on/around sales day now as to 4-6 weeks later, so awesome). At this point I made a profit on every figure expect Hydron, but only a slight loss there. And even if there is going to be another few figures that I might take a hit on (looking at you Battle Lion), I don't look at every single figure. The important thing for me is to stay above the total cost of the sub (including shipping, taxes etc.). If that is the case at the end of the year, this experiment of mine has been a success (and hey, even if I break even or take a slight loss, it still would be okay, because the second sub helped with shipping and I got my figures in days instead of weeks/months).

Again, so far I couldn't be happier, could change of course, but as of now the figures sell great. Might have something to do that the market here in Germany is not as big as in the States, so it's easier to get more money for your figures. Quite possible. There are a lot of auctions (and buy-it-now offers) on ebay each month as well, but overall, nowhere near as many as in the US. So there might still be more demand than supply over here, who know.

All I can say is, for me this has been a great decision so far, and if it stays that way (and I'm not too worried, sure there are some duds on the horizon, but also some great ones still comming, and I believe 1 more 'no DOS' items if Toyguru keeps his word), I'm sure going to buy 2 subscriptions for 2015 as well.
    Last edited by thebortster; March 23, 2014 at 06:21pm.

Widget
    Try selling the Unnamed One loose. Sell the comic and the map separately. International buyers (which make up the vast majority of people who buy my MOTUC listings on eBay) are more likely to buy a loose figure, since shipping costs are much less than a boxed figure (that they would likely open anyway). Also, some people want only the comic. Some people want only the figure.

And you get the benefit of playing with your Unnamed Ones by photographing them loose. This is a big perk for me. I don't often keep figures I get for sale, but I get to "play' with all of them before they head off to Spain (or Germany or Brazil).

gorpo1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add: selling loose especially goes for the less popular figures, like Hydron.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    You bring up some great points. I have noticed a very similar trend, really since last year. In 2013 and 2014 both I have bought 2 subs, with the idea that the second one could help to pay for my primary sub. Q1 started off great, with Ram Man, Fang man and King he-man doing very well VS what I paid. After that, it seemed to start going downhill with Snake Face. Either figures would sell at cost, or I would be able to use them to trade for figures I still needed. Sometimes I would make a bit more than cost when I sold them, and I usually made some good trades for figures that I needed.

The latter part of 2013 didn't do well at all, and I still have the 2nd Dactus, Geldor and Plundor. I kept both sets of Horde Troopers, otherwise those would have done well. In the end, I felt like the 2nd 2013 did well enough that I got a 2nd this year, but I am starting to fear that it may be difficult to move many of the figures.

I don't have to worry about POP figures, because I keep both sets. I think NA Skeletor will do well. Not sure about Flogg. I don't know that there will be much demand for Blade, and I don't have high hopes of moving Battle Lion. We shall see.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Warrior
    I purchase multiple subs last year and by the end I made back just bellow cost. I did keep my Horde Troopers and one of each figure, so I did make out on that part. Where I did well was the Filmation sub. I did not sub to it but purchased them all after market for 75 to 80% of cost. I think buying subs to resell sound good on paper but can be a pain other wise.

Heroic Warrior
    I try to trade or sell a few here or there, I have 4 subs this year (up 1 from last year, but only because DCIE was cancelled or I would have gotten only 2). The only real profitable figures are vintage and exclusives, and some vintage releases aren't as desired (variants particularly). But POP, NA, Mini Comics, Filmation all seem to be hard to sell at a profit. The lesser number of resellers is a huge reason for the drop off of sub sales from 2011 to 2012 and the elimination of the reissues, 2010 every figure was doing well on the secondary market, so the sub buy in for resellers was high for 2011. But there was (is) a glut of 2011 figures out there and most are easily attainable at cost or less. So from then on resellers have really dropped off, plus the sub killer Star Sisters and Foe Men ( those $60 and $75 slots add up quick for multiple subs). The Unnamed One not being "spectacular" isn't great either while he is a profit maker he isn't the $100 figure to help make up for the losses on Glimmer and Hydron, and so on.

Heroic Warrior
    I can look ahead and see the 2015 sub drive being very scarey in deed. The big heavy hitters are in this year. While a few good ones will be coming in 2015, it really will be a rough year. The fact that this year will be full of high demand low end figures, even if they are a list figures, will weigh heavy on resellers. I have 2 POP subs coming, 1 for me and one to try to recover some of my costs. Light Hope will hit around 100.00 with the Madem netting around 45.00 to 50.00, that will leave me with 5 more to recover the remaining 30.00 to 40.00 not including shipping. Not huge recover but enough to offset some costs. 2015 will have to be a year of magic to get me to buy more than 1 sub this time around. I kind of have a feeling Matty knows this and has stacked this year with enough to get a good portion of the core out, so they can hedge the 2015 line up if it does not happen. Either way I am in till the end but i am not buying more that one sub.
    Last edited by samantha; March 23, 2014 at 09:28pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I did 3 subs because the shipping sort of evens out the total cost of each figure. So far I am still in the green; two-bad, modulok and unnamed one made money, glimmer went at cost and hydron lost me some money. So far things have been as expected. But like someone said, there are some "crappy" figures coming up that will not sell; so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

For 2015, if Matty reveals a heavy hitter that is sub exclusive like Two-bad, I will go with the 3 sub strategy. If they don't reveal anything interesting in the first quarter, I wont be subbing because I feel they tend to get their best figures out in Q1

My initial thought for starters is that you let Modulok go too cheap. 15 cents profit is nothing.

I bought 2 subscriptions, mainly because I wanted 2 Glimmer's ironically enough! and I was anticipating getting 2x Scorpia and 2x Madame Razz. Of course only Scorpia also ended up in the main sub. I was confident in buying a 2nd sub (which is a big investment for me personally) for the following reasons:

1/I have a fellow fan who buys all the NA figures at cost (so no eBay fees, which are worse than ever! Final value fees on postage? REALLY?!)

2/I only collect characters that appeared in the Filmation cartoons (characters like Snake Face, Squueeeze and Blade get a pass because they appeared in other media I liked) So that puts me in a strong position as I can sell vintage figures like Extendar, Rio Blast, Dragstor etc... which are probably the most popular figures left.

3/I'm a POP fan, so if need be I can hold on to my extra POP figures rather than take a loss on them. I don't need 2 Flutterina's, but I'll just keep the 2nd one if she's gonna sell at a loss.

4/UK/Europe based. There are resellers on eBay selling figures to turn a profit and expect to get the same price for Glimmer as they do for Blade. I'm happy to sell mine at cost and then turn a profit on the more desired ones like Modulok and Two-Bad. Despite that, some Europe based fans find it cheaper to buy from eBay due to the high DHL shipping fee for single figures and being afraid of the package getting losted via International Post. High customs fees also play a big part too! Since I have quarterly shipping, shipping and customs per item is much lower, so I can offer my stuff at prices that are just as cheap as Matty to fellow Europeans (after factoring in shipping and VAT if they order themselves from Matty)

I'm not entirely sure how resellers make a worthwhile profit on such a large investment to be honest. Sure you make money on figures like Two-Bad, Modulok and The Unnamed One, but that profit is soon eaten away by crap like Battle Lion, (this years FFM, which absolutely nuked all profit I made on King He-Man last year) Hydron, Flogg (though the Filmation sword might help him resell) and Flutterina. I've not sold my spare Two-Bad as yet and will keep it for insurance incase I take any major losses further into the year Sadly a lot of those items will likely be loss incuring, so hoping the profit made so far in Q1 will help offset the later losses.

Like I said above, I want 2x Madame Razz but I only bought a single Club Etheria sub. I got burned last year on the 2nd Filmation, pretty much taking a loss on every figure! I think only Strong-Or I broke even on! Thankfully I just sold my spare Sea Hawk (which I held back) and that has probably made me break even just about overall. So no way I was going through the same again with Club Etheria.

You were very brave buying so many subs, but you SHOULD NOT feel pressured into 'saving the line'. It either goes through or doesn't and just buy what you can afford. ALWAYS plan for the worst case scenario. I hope things improve and you manage to recoup some cost with the next no DOS figure (probably Extendar in June)

Unfortunately for 2015, I'm not sure there will be heavy hitters like Two-Bad and Modulok left Tung Lashor is probably the closest, but 1 figure is not gonna turn a net profit enough to resell the whole sub. Expect 2015 sub sales to be well down I'll definitely be cherry picking next year myself, mainly due to very little essential characters left I need.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thebortster View Post
    So yes, on the one hand I bought an additional sub to support the line, but I also did it to justify having my figured shipped express this year. I'm in Germany and it usually took about 4-6 weeks for my figures to arrive. I didn't want to wait that long for them anymore. So I bought an extra sub to help offset the higher shipping costs.

And so far, I'm really happy with it, one of the best decisions ever. Right now, nearly 3/4 of my total costs for BOTH subs have been covered by the figures I sold. Meaning I got my regular sub for approx half the price, and also have the faster shipping (they're here on/around sales day now as to 4-6 weeks later, so awesome). At this point I made a profit on every figure expect Hydron, but only a slight loss there. And even if there is going to be another few figures that I might take a hit on (looking at you Battle Lion), I don't look at every single figure. The important thing for me is to stay above the total cost of the sub (including shipping, taxes etc.). If that is the case at the end of the year, this experiment of mine has been a success (and hey, even if I break even or take a slight loss, it still would be okay, because the second sub helped with shipping and I got my figures in days instead of weeks/months).
    I think we both had very similiar motivations for our 2nd subs DHL quarterly worked out at $58.99 in Q1 for a single sub (or $88.99 for 2 subs) An extra $30 for the 2nd sub, made shipping just $6 per figure!

I think the demand is definitely higher than supply in Europe as an whole and figures like Glimmer and Hydron we can sell at cost because for our fellow European fans, it's cheaper to buy from us than Matty DOS (due to the Matty DOS figures getting customs fee charged on EVERY figure!) I'm also doing ok and I haven't even sold the spare Two-Bad yet! My plan is to put Battle Lion up for pre-order at a slight loss to me in order to get a sale before the market is flooded (my 2nd I hope a fellow .org fan is still interested in buying it)
    Last edited by blackiecats; March 24, 2014 at 12:40am.
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Heroic Warrior
    Interesting and outstanding thread. I foresee Cherry picking in the future if the prices of figures keep increasing.

In 2013 I lost about $1000 after selling the figures I could. I lose money every month, my only hope is to sell my shapeways stuff to try to break even. This year I did only get 2 subs, and the quarterly option. I was afraid that the glimmers were all gone, so I jumped on eBay and bought one. I know I'll never be able to sell her for the price I paid, but I panic-ed and overpaid for her.

I did make up some money buy selling big lot's figures, but I had competition of other people in my area doing the same. So I started making customs, but even some of those fell flat. (I sold a custom faceless one with a skirt and clouds around the base for only $6 on eBay, he was on eBay for over 2 months (I opened it just to make him, $10 at big lots)

Also if you make a dime on any figure everyone thinks your some kind of underhanded person. Even though those same people will not buy a lame figure at cost from you.

Shipping and Tax are what's pushing up the price of these figures.

Even an awesome Nick powers, that I spent about $42 bucks in parts to make. (2 big lot's figure $10 each and another figure $20 for the head, tax + shipping) I could not unload for a very long time:

$(KGrHqR,!lIFI!u9928,BSIVrQ4,Ug~~60_57.JPG$T2eC16J,!yYFIcJcFJfLBSLd03O2zw~~60_57.JPG
    (He only sold for $45)

It is a losing game and you have to sell lots of other things to take up the slack for losing money.

OK I may sound bitter, but these are the facts, my charge card keeps going up, and up. Any my wife's patients are running thin.

Very interesting read. I don't have a sub, I have a friend/board/dealer member who buys an extra couple of subs to sell on and he sends me all the figures. I do cherry pick to a certain extent, I tend to skip the POP ladies but have bought figures before to help him out when I may have skipped them otherwise.

I am in the UK and so the primary reason I chose to buy this way is to avoid shipping costs, it means that I can avoid the odd figure I do not want and also it means he can check his toys and send me one with good paint apps etc so it limits quality control problems for me. In all it works well and I don't mind paying the resale prices. I tend to spend around £35 per figure including postage. This is up from the initial £30 per figure of a few years ago.

I am unsure if my case is any help for you honestly, but for me I will buy these things until they either stop making them or they move the line in a direction that I do not like (So all Filmation would make me stop for example) Here in the UK I have noticed that there seem to be actual less sellers of the figures, but they always seem to sell at a fair price and on some occasions go for a fortune. Teela, Tri-Klops, Fisto etc all raise huge prices still.

On a side note - that Nikolas Powers figure is excellent. I would have paid more than you sold it for
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Kowl, I read through your entire post as well as everyone above me and I feel your frustration.

I used to buy two subs, but even a year or so ago, selling extras wasn't easy. I still have a Geldor that I'd sell for $20 plus shipping and still can't sell him, it's pretty sad and he was the fan voted figure!

I only bought one sub for 2014 and even with some of the figures I've sold (Two Bad and Modulok), it wasn't as much of a profit I was hoping for. I was thinking about selling the UNO and Hydron, but to be honest, it's better for me to keep Hydron and enjoy him as much as I can than to take a loss (I'm really sick and tired of taking losses on these). I do feel for people who purchased extra subs to "save the line", but I have a feeling (and I'm not trying to be negative here, just what I personally see) that less people will buy extra subs to save the line for 2015 for the mere fact that many (like yourself) are taking a very expensive loss on these figures.

To be honest, all I need to do now is complete my POP collection and Horde collection and I'm good. I purchased one Etheria sub as I will be keeping all the figures from that (might sell Light Hope, not sure yet).

As for 2015, as of right now, I will not be purchasing the sub (keep in mind I've been subbing since the very beginning). With only less than 5 figures left for me to buy, there's no reason in trying to unload the rest of them. It'll be much easier to purchase from orgers here for either at cost or a little higher (for their profit which I'm cool with), or wait a monthy or two for prices on ebay to drop.

I'm as much as a fan as the rest of you, but the expense is becoming a very burdensome one. I do hope in all honesty that we can finish off the factions, but I do believe 2015 is going to be a tough sell.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I think we both had very similiar motivations for our 2nd subs DHL quarterly worked out at $58.99 in Q1 for a single sub (or $88.99 for 2 subs) An extra $30 for the 2nd sub, made shipping just $6 per figure!

I think the demand is definitely higher than supply in Europe as an whole and figures like Glimmer and Hydron we can sell at cost because for our fellow European fans, it's cheaper to buy from us than Matty DOS (due to the Matty DOS figures getting customs fee charged on EVERY figure!) I'm also doing ok and I haven't even sold the spare Two-Bad yet! My plan is to put Battle Lion up for pre-order at a slight loss to me in order to get a sale before the market is flooded (my 2nd I hope a fellow .org fan is still interested in buying it)
    Wow, quarterly shipping really makes a huge difference. But the wait for the figures is soooooo long, wish I could be as patient as you. Waiting 4-6 weeks like I used to was hard, waiting 3 months would probably drive me nuts.

Same plan for Battle Lion as well, get rid of the second one as soon as possible, as long as there are still one or two people out there who may actually want him. Even thought about keeping it and customizing it into Clawdeen or something, but not too sure about that, not the best customizer unfortunately. We'll see, let's hope he won't be that bad to sell and actually surprised us. We can dream, can't we

Reselling was good when figures sold out in minutes. Even with the supposed lower day of sale quota they still last for many days. Subscription only figures such as Clamp Champ and Two Bad are good though.

Just some thoughts...
    *Don't only go the ebay route - Use the facebook fan pages and marketplace here. Just sell for cost. Some still might not move, but some will. I suspect Glimmer will eventually sell through for you, just have patience.
    *For ebay, have the buyer pay for the actual shipping. For any other market place, have buyer cover shipping and paypal costs, or send as gift.
    *You let Modulok go for way too cheap.
    *With characters like Glimmer and Hydron, selling them the month they come out is not the way to go. Sit on them for a month or two, wait for the glut to end, and then sell them.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Question 1 - How many people bought extra subs to help "save the line" and now are having a horrible time selling these extras?
    I purchased x2 Eternia and x2 Etheria in 2014

This line is completely and totally supported by those fans left, so every sub counts.

Question 3 - Why do fans expect retailers like BBTS to invest in this line, when it is completely obvious that there is no profitable margin return for anyone but Mattel?
    Retailers like BBTS wouldn't be subbing at all if there was no profit in it for them- period. So this question labors under a false assumption.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

give me your double trouble's everyone!!..... I'm kidding, well. Kinda sorta.

If only if UK shipping wasn't a killer..

Sorry you're making a loss. The market for these figures is really tough at times. Living in the UK, it's even worse!

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I've often wondered how much of an actual difference people buying extra subs to resell just to keep the line going makes in terms of whether or not the goal is met.

I wish there was a way to find out exactly how many subs were bought for this purpose, and find out what that translates into percentage-wise in terms of hitting the minimum needed.

Granted, the recent POP sub cut it close to not going through only getting to 97%, so I'm sure each purchase helped. But what I wonder is whether the extra subs people bought for the sheer purpose of supporting the line and hoping to just break even in selling them off (and not to attempt to actually profit from them like typical resellers do, like BBTS) are the difference between 87% and 97%, for example, or are more like the difference between 96.7% and 97%.

The problem is that we will never know because Mattel won't reveal the exact numbers, and even if they did, we will never get an exact tally of extra subs purchased. Even if we did a poll here, it would only give a total of those who actually participate in the poll. Inevitably there would be some who don't, but may have bought extra subs.

The reason that I wonder this is because while I give kudos to those who buy any amount of extra subs to support the cause and try to help keep things going as much as they can (with particular kudos going to Yodafreakmaster and MOTU Maniac for their huge contributions), I often wonder if it even makes a dent and is even worth some people putting themselves in potentially negative financial situations over it. For all we know 30 subs may only account for 0.003% of the total minimum percentage that needs to be hit, but for an a single individual that is A LOT of money to come up with. Even if you manage to resell the items and break even (a difficult task these days outside of a few high demanded items), just coming up with that kind of money up front can be difficult.

Early on in the line I was collecting two of everything... 1 to open and 1 to keep MOC (occasionally buying a 3rd if I wanted to display both heads of a character with 3). Then as the line kept expanding, I gave up keeping an extra of everything MOC, opting for just a loose collection with the occasional extra when I had a reason to want an extra of a particular item. As such after my double 2010 sub ran out and going into 2011, I was down to one sub.

Back when the 2013 sub was in danger of not going through, at one point during the sign up period, I had considered buying an extra sub to "support the cause," but ultimately decided against it. I was worried about actually making my money back. I would at minimum want to break even. That would of course mean selling the more in demand items for more money to make up for those that don't go for as much, and while I don't blame anyone else here for doing exactly that, I just don't like the idea of buying an in-demand figure for base price and then selling it for a really high profit (even if said profit is meant to make up for figures that I lose money on). It's just not my style. Plus just the sheer general hassle of having to constantly try to sell and ship out extra figures just didn't appeal to me.

What I decided at that time, and have done with every sub/mini-sub since is that I will order the one sub that I want/need for my collection and that's it. I don't want the line to "die," and I hope we make it through 2015 to at least wrap up the vintage lines and main characters from other media. But I decided that if me supporting the line by simply buying what I actually want for my collection isn't good enough to keep the line going, then so be it. Don't get me wrong. I am a HUGE MOTU fan. And I decided from the start of this line to be completest with it so long as we don't get into really, really pointless variants akin to most of those that came out during the 200X line. And while there have been a few figures here and there that have been questionable to me, I've stuck with that and intend to keep doing so as long as the line is around and nothing changes in my financial situation to prevent me from being able to do so.

But I won't buy random, unwanted (by me) extras just to keep it going. I remember a while back there was a thread trying to get people to buy extra Wind Raiders to help get them to sell out to get another vehicle made. My attitude was that I bought the one Wind Raider that I wanted when it first came out, I don't need another. If getting the next item produced requires me to buy multiples of a previous item that I only want one of, then I guess I'll have to live without that next item.

Don't get me wrong, if I knew for a fact that me simply buying a single extra $25/$27 figure would be the difference between whether or not the line would continue into next year, I'd make an exception and buy that one figure. But to have to buy two or more of every item? No thanks. The way I see it, I've done my part. I've signed up for every sub, and have jumped through hoops to be online to order things that aren't in a sub and at times have sold out fast. The vast majority of my figures have been bought right from the source. I've only gone to the secondary market on a very small handful of occasions when I had no other choice (and usually paying prices close to that of Matty, with the sole exception of my Bronze King Grayskull that I actually paid a lot for).

Nothing against those of you who have gone the route of buying extras to support the time. Again, kudos. I just wonder if at the end of the day everyone is putting in all of this effort and extra financial expense on themselves only to "move the needle" a fraction of a percent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    I purchased x2 Eternia and x2 Etheria in 2014

This line is completely and totally supported by those fans left, so every sub counts.

Retailers like BBTS wouldn't be subbing at all if there was no profit in it for them- period. So this question labors under a false assumption.
    I think BBTS marks up the more demanded figures at higher prices than they sometimes go for on average on ebay. And when/if they think they can get more for it (i.e. when it was announced that Two Bad wouldn't have day-of stock), they will mark the price up even further. But they sell out of those popular figures because they put up preorders, allowing fans to lock the figures in advance, and overall they have proven to be a reputable seller and they stand behind the products that they sell. I think they keep a few held back as well for customer service issues, so if someone's order does get messed up, BBTS will take care of it.

By contrast, buying a random figure from a random ebay seller or marketplace seller here (even one with a lot of positive feedback) doesn't come with the same level of service. Most sellers likely only have one or a small handful of the figure in question to sell, and sell/trade them all up front. If someone receives a figure and it comes damaged or it was defective from the get-go (unknown to the reseller if it wasn't obvious in the package), the best that the buyer can hope for is their money back from the seller. I think ebay has limits on preordering options since the product isn't in hand, and regardless of ebay's policies, it's not really in the buyer's best interest to buy an item from a random seller who doesn't even have the item in hand yet since it doesn't come with the same advantages as buying from a larger retailer that deals in mass amounts of stock.

Also bulk sellers do have the advantage of combined shipping. When ordering the figures in bulk, the shipping break down per-figure gets to be much cheaper (sometimes averaging $2 or so per figure). So even smaller resellers (let alone BBTS) who can afford to buy several subs have the potential to come out a bit more ahead since they can sell the lesser demanded figures for slightly lower prices when the shipping doesn't have as big of an impact on the figure's upfront price. The catch, of course, being that they have more of the lesser demanded figures to try and move. It is a catch-22.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Loo-Kee View Post
    I still have a Geldor that I'd sell for $20 plus shipping and still can't sell him, it's pretty sad and he was the fan voted figure!
    Don't let the fact he was fan voted by 'subscribers' fool you into thinking he was highly demanded. The actual truth is he was the lesser of all the evils. He was the most well known unique character and I'm guessing many folks voted for him because they felt he'd be the easiest of the choices to sell. The fact is non of the choices in the vote would have been decent sellers on the secondary market. I feel if it hadn't been Geldor, trying to get rid of whoever it would have been would have been much worse!

The fact is (and I stated so at the time) the fan vote for 'obscure' characters should have never happened. If a character is 'obscure' then that right there tells you this character is NOT well known or demanded in numbers the size of the subs. So why are we voting on something that isn't widely demanded? The whole premise of that poll defied logic at the end of the day
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Question2: the fans that have a difficulties selling off their 'extra subs' in 2013/2014 are less likely to purchase multiple subs for 2015 I would think. I personally just buy for me, 1 sub.

Question3:
    I still don't understand why someone will pay 100.00 for Modulok/TwoBad/Lighthope on BBTS and not sub, I think it would make more sense to sub and just sell what you don't want, I have sold off stuff I don't want with no issue. If I lose a dollar or two on something like Faceless/Carnivus so be it, I'm guaranteed all figs when I sub. If you are spending 100 on Shadow Weaver/etc you obviously like the line well enough, so just sub up. my 2 cents.

To buy extra subs and think you are going to make a bunch of money is foolish, these are common collectibles, they are not rare, they are not as limited as one thinks, just look at ebay, every single figure is on there, though some do cost more than others (teela, fisto, blah blah) but if you sub within your means and sell what you don't want you will do just fine.

On the other hand if you have the funds and want to purchase a bunch of subs-go ahead. Donate the extras, make them gifts, etc. its all good but you won't get rich selling MOTUC.
    Last edited by Spikor1982; March 24, 2014 at 04:16pm.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Wow, quarterly shipping really makes a huge difference. But the wait for the figures is soooooo long, wish I could be as patient as you. Waiting 4-6 weeks like I used to was hard, waiting 3 months would probably drive me nuts.
    I can't afford DHL shipping EVERY month (the cost plus customs would bankrupt me! ) So that leaves International Post, which as you say takes over 4 weeks. So that in mind, in reality I'm only really waiting on the first figure each quarter. For example International Post folks got Glimmer/Modulok around the same time I got the whole quarter. So therefore I was only waiting longer than them for Two-Bad.

The huge saving means I can undercut most UK MOTUC dealers on eBay, since I'm NOT in it to make my fortune, but rather save a little bit on shipping. Even if I broke even on the 2nd sub for the whole year, that's fine as then at least I got my figures shipped via DHL for an average of $9 per figure. I've also saved $$$ by NOT having to go the DOS route for my 2nd Glimmer and Scorpia (if Scorpia is even offered at DOS!)

Same plan for Battle Lion as well, get rid of the second one as soon as possible, as long as there are still one or two people out there who may actually want him. Even thought about keeping it and customizing it into Clawdeen or something, but not too sure about that, not the best customizer unfortunately. We'll see, let's hope he won't be that bad to sell and actually surprised us. We can dream, can't we
    I'm sure there will be some 200x cherry pickers who want him and luckily for them they will be able to grab themselves a bargain from me. Ordering him from Matty will definitely be more expensive when you factor in shipping and customs. I actually advise anyone interested in him NOT to buy him from Matty DOS. All your doing is killing 2015 sub sales by doing so. I'm sure resellers will offer Battle Lion at a cheap enough price to actually save you money compared to Matty. If Mattel had any sense they would have only made enough for subscribers and CS stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    Question2: the fans that have a difficulties selling off their 'extra subs' in 2013/2014 are less likely to purchase multiple subs for 2015 I would think. I personally just buy for me, 1 sub.
    Yep that's why when someone offers you a figure for $20 + $6 shipping and you go to Matty instead paying $27+$10+ shipping, all your doing is killing 2015 sub sales. People need to understand without subscription sales, there wouldn't be any day of sales. Mattel has already sold in it's minimum and all your doing by going to Matty sales days is giving them that extra cherry on top! For anything but Vintage, it's cheaper to buy from fellow fans for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    Question3:
    I still don't understand why someone will pay 100.00 for Modulok/TwoBad/Lighthope on BBTS and not sub, I think it would make more sense to sub and just sell what you don't want, I have sold off stuff I don't want with no issue. If I lose a dollar or two on something like Faceless/Carnivus so be it, I'm guaranteed all figs when I sub. If you are spending 100 on Shadow Weaver/etc you obviously like the line well enough, so just sub up. my 2 cents.
    Some folks are not willing to take the risk involved and there IS some risk for sure. In this economical climate financial security isn't guaranteed and a person could easily lose their job/income at the drop of an hat. If you can't afford the sub, then you are in the ****! Others find it difficult to manage their money and budget for their sub. Basically both sets go for the most demanded/harder to find figures at a premium price, to then pick up the rest later on at an highly discounted price. That way they have no commitment.

However I think $100 for Light Hope is bit high and I bet a lot of those pre-orders will be cancelled nearer the time. That's 4 figures! You'd only need to sell 3 of the 6 figures to get Light Hope at the same price (plus you'd have 3 figures that would surely sell at $15 each in a worst case scenario!) Light Hope isn't worth anymore than $60-$70 in my opinion.

Unless a figure is hyped, like Two Bad or Mantenna, I don't see the point in trying to sell them right away. Most of these figures climb in secondary market value after a few months...
    Look at Swiftwind. He was an evergreen item on Mattycollector for years, not at all hard to get. Now he's up to about a hundred bucks, if not more. There are some figures that won't ever sell that well, but someone like Glimmer you should be able to get your money back on if you're patient.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Macduff, Scotland. United Kingdom of Eternia.
    I've made a small profit re-selling Two-Bad and Modulok after S&H, Customs and ebay fees, but I just broke even on Glimmer. This is how I'm expecting the rest of the year to go. Heavy hitters will be worth more, but characters like Hydron and Glimmer etc I'm just hoping/expecting to recoup my money, if I can.

I have three subs, I could not commit to anymore. So at least one of my figures will be re-sold per month.
    Take each day as it comes, but never take it for granted.