Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MOTUC Q&A's From Around the Net (6/17/2013)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSummers View Post
    Ready for it? Insert coin. Pull lever. Response generated: Keep reading the bios and mini comics!

I hope this means that we will get more mini comics
    My thoughts exactly

I'm not sure why MOTU needs its own version of the Linear Men when it has Cosmic Enforcers and the Trollan council seemingly guiding events dating back through all eternity. And if such a force was required, why would they answer to King He-Man and not the Trollans?

I'm putting the whole Time Agent bio-story in the same not-my-continuity box as I put NA, dead Sorceress, evil Man-At-Arms. Spector stole Gwildor's tech, simple as that!
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I think the "time agent" thing is so well done by now that you can't possibly call it plagiarism. Too many stories out there either revolve around "time agents" of a sort or at least there are many cartoons through the years that touch on a time traveling theme and happen to include an agent that tries to keep the time stream nice 'n neat. Heck I came up with a ton of crap like that when I was a kid.

There's a certain point where a concept is so well known that you can't really "steal" it. Is this a simplistic form of it? Sure. But I ain't askin' for danged award winning stories here.
    This. Time cop beat Enterprise to it by decade or so.... and doctor who hit on it before that. Nearly every time someone has time travel... someone else needs to stop them messing it up. Its a Trope by now.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    DC Comics has done it too. These are not original ideas. And I'm sorry, but it's not good writing.
    Honestly, I LIKE that kind of writing. There's something fun about Back to the future paradoxes and time ripples. How does changing one life or one action affect a whole timeline? I REALLY get into that kind of story.

Some people don't like them that's fine, but they HAVE been done well in the past JUST as they have been done poorly in the past.

Specter?? Honestly he hasn't DONE anything yet for me to have a legitimate opinion on.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This. Time cop beat Enterprise to it by decade or so.... and doctor who hit on it before that. Nearly every time someone has time travel... someone else needs to stop them messing it up. Its a Trope by now.

Honestly, I LIKE that kind of writing. There's something fun about Back to the future paradoxes and time ripples. How does changing one life or one action affect a whole timeline? I REALLY get into that kind of story.

Some people don't like them that's fine, but they HAVE been done well in the past JUST as they have been done poorly in the past.

Specter?? Honestly he hasn't DONE anything yet for me to have a legitimate opinion on.
    I enjoy time travel stories. I'm reminded of Dan Jurgens' run on Warlord in the 1980s, as well obviously as Dr. Who. But there's nothing original in what we've been given with Da Moigty Spector. Also, he should have changed his unpublished (still unpublished) fan-fic plot with the volcano when he saw Star Trek, not rush to get it out there immediately afterwards. If you're a writer, you will from time to time get beaten to the punch. The thing to do is RE-WRITE.

Elder Councilman
    Lego did it too with the Time Cruisers and the Time Twisters

It's a tale as old as time
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I enjoy time travel stories. I'm reminded of Dan Jurgens' run on Warlord in the 1980s, as well obviously as Dr. Who. But there's nothing original in what we've been given with Da Moigty Spector.
    Meh...

I don't see anything original in the Master's of the Universe franchise. Or movies, novels, comics or any other medium in the last decade. Even the things that SEEM fresh and new when I see it SOMEONE jumps on the internet and points out how it's been done before...

So honestly, I don't walk into things expecting 'original', I walk in hoping for 'interesting'. They can tell the same story a dozen times, as long as there's a twist or something in there, I'll enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Meh...

I don't see anything original in the Master's of the Universe franchise. Or movies, novels, comics or any other medium in the last decade. Even the things that SEEM fresh and new when I see it SOMEONE jumps on the internet and points out how it's been done before...

So honestly, I don't walk into things expecting 'original', I walk in hoping for 'interesting'. They can tell the same story a dozen times, as long as there's a twist or something in there, I'll enjoy it
    I see lots of new things in all kinds of media. I guess it depends what you're spending your time on.

And yeah, you can always cry out "Simpsons did it!" At anything which has been done in the last 2,000 years, but I don't see anything interesting or new about the Mighty Spector glimpses we've gotten. I can only judge them by what we have, and it's neither new or interesting. It doesn't have a twist. It's just Xerox. He looks and acts like a series of DC Comic stories, most of which were written by Dan Jurgens.

Ready for it? Insert coin. Pull lever. Response generated: Keep reading the bios and mini comics!
    This genuinely made me laugh. Good one.

Did nobody else notice the wording in the answer to question 3,"(assuming we get enough sub holders each year to make 2014 and 2015 happen)".
    I thought that if 2014 happens then 2015 was a given,to finish the line.

Or did i miss when they changed that.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Does anyone else think if they did the Battle Ram first, we'd have another vehicle today?
    Personally I don't know why the windraider did so bad. I bought 5 and I am sure others bought more. I hate the "they take up to much room excuse" you can display figures underneath it easily. Plus the box alone is an awesome display piece.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
    Personally I don't know why the windraider did so bad. I bought 5 and I am sure others bought more. I hate the "they take up to much room excuse" you can display figures underneath it easily. Plus the box alone is an awesome display piece.
    I personally have no display space for big pieces like that....and if you could see what I and others mean....you would not say that. My shelves are not set up for something like that, and I have other toy lines I collect, that get cut space already due to MOTUC being the dominate line.

However, I was going to buy one just before the damn thing sold out, and keep it tucked away either put away in the mailer, or on the floor somewhere displayed in it's box. Do I really have the room for it? No, but like I said I could have left it in it's mailer and put in my cabinet.

But honestly, I have no attachment to it, being in the Filmation cartoon or not, I would have preferred an Attack Trak.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    No more time travel please! It's been done to death and is already becoming too confusing and badly written.

The only way to redeem this whole sorry affair is to have Spector get killed thus returning everything back to normal, then we can forget about it.

My vote is for Mosquitor to kill Spector.

In as gruesome a way as possible please.

Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post
    No more time travel please! It's been done to death and is already becoming too confusing and badly written.

The only way to redeem this whole sorry affair is to have Spector get killed thus returning everything back to normal, then we can forget about it.

My vote is for Mosquitor to kill Spector.

In as gruesome a way as possible please.
    Seconded....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
    Display figures underneath it?!?!? You mean the Raider is up on blocks and the heroes are on their backs repairing the undercarriage? Or are all the He-Men simply hoisting it above their heads?

I honestly don't understand the point you are making; some of us have 50 years of toys built up, and not only is "too much room" not an excuse, it's a reality we can't get around without violating the laws of physics or mastering the 4th dimension. I put the thing out, and it takes up a lot of space, at least six figures worth without taking into account the wings. Folks who've seen photos of my displays know I don't exactly skimp on the space I use for my toys, but there are limits that anyone will run into eventually. Dismissing that as an excuse is ignoring the practical limitations that collectors run into pursuing their hobby. Sometimes, there just isn't a spot for something, and you have to pass on it.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I think that it didn't do as well as expected because a lot of adult collectors are into display. Playsets are great for display, which is why Castle Grayskull went through. Vehicles are a mixed bag, some you want to display, and some, while you admire them you just pass on. I think the display option is more of a tie breaker than taking up space.
    I think Point Dread would be great next option since it's a playset that ties into the castle and a vehicle as well. I know the Battle Ram is sculpted, but it doesn't have the same display appeal.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by he-man121 View Post
    Did nobody else notice the wording in the answer to question 3,"(assuming we get enough sub holders each year to make 2014 and 2015 happen)".

Nothing is a given. And, until the sales drive is over, 2014 may not happen if not enough people sub. They are only going to make them if enough people sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by he-man121 View Post

2014 isn't even a given yet, 2015 is way too far off to think about it. We've a long road ahead to get these next 2 years....I believe we can....2013 is far from a weak year, I know DR is still assing thing up, and Mattel still does it thing to customers, but in all reality....it's really no worse than previous years, it seems to have plateaued....

We've gotten tighter male figures this year, Grayskull, a second add on sub to which Scott said once the 30th was over, we'd have no more of, The pain in the ass that is Cherry Twizzler Hordak, and they even re-opened subs up for more people to come in....

Also they actually got the "subscriptions" page working....barring any Filmation sub issues for everyone next month....the Eternia sub lite seemed to work fine, so hopefully.....

Yeah subs got cancelled, DR is still very inept, and Mattel are still tightwads, but it is what it is, no more has happened this year than previous....I guess that's a good thing.

Also the Females seem to still suffer from previous issues....fix that **** Mattel.....already....

And people call me negative....sorry if looking at things for what they are is negative....I can be just as positive as the next guy....when the need arises. I believe 2014 will pass, we'll have to fight for it once again, but the "quarterly" shipping should make some happy, hopefully enough to bring back the ones that complained about shipping prices....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by IrrepressibleDH View Post
    I am sick to death about hearing "Fans vote with their wallets"
    Yeah, we keep hearing that whenever a preorder idea is brought up for Battleram. No matter how they spin it, a preorder not even being tried for Battleram makes no sense considering they were willing to try it for a much more expensive item (Castle Grayskull). yes, the fans spoke that day and commited to a $200 purchase. So, FORGET Wind Raider--been there, done that... BattleRam is a different thing all together (Cooler vehicle, already sculpted and demand is higher for this than Windraider) Do a preorder for Battle Ram and you will see fans do indeed vote with their wallets once again.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    ...what in the world is the logic behind releasing a character like the Spirit of Hordak at a completely unannounced random time, leaving your fan base frustrated and unamused?

To help recreate the fun and excitement of the retail toy hunt online. We knew this program would not appeal to all of our fans, but for many it is being embraced as very innovative and thrilling.
    Nothing "FUN" and "Exciting" about it... frustrated and unamused was more like it. Way to leave out your LOYAL customers, the subscribers... ya know, the ones that made the 2013 line HAPPEN?

Innovative and thrilling? Hardly. Thanks a ton.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    ...what in the world is the logic behind releasing a character like the Spirit of Hordak at a completely unannounced random time, leaving your fan base frustrated and unamused?

Nothing "FUN" and "Exciting" about it... frustrated and unamused was more like it. Way to leave out your LOYAL customers, the subscribers... ya know, the ones that made the 2013 line HAPPEN?

I, for one, am one of those fans that found it fun. I missed out on it when it came around but picked it up during EA. I still thought it was very clever prior to being able to get one. It's not like it was Two-Bad. Plus, he'll be back...and for Early Access again too. They are making it available for their "LOYAL" fans by adding him to Early Access. For those that didn't subscribe, it's a fun "Where's Waldo" game (although I know it can be frustrating!)

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post

Totally agree. Please Mattel, no more chase figures.

I was fortunate enough to get finally get SoH on the 4th opportunity, and I am relieved to no longer be involved in Neitlich's silly game.

Offering him via Early Access didn't help either, thanks to a bug on MattyCollector that stopped me from checking out, despite already having him in my cart.

It may have been fun for some collectors, but for the rest of us it was an annoying pain-in-the-neck experience, and I never want to go through that hassle ever again.

Anyone who wants the "Thrill of the Hunt" back can simply ignore the subcription option. Enjoy trying to find figs like Clamp Champ & Fang Man.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; June 26, 2013 at 09:27am.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Totally agree. Please Mattel, no more chase figures.

I was fortunate enough to get finally get SoH on the 4th opportunity, and I am relieved to no longer be involved in Neitlich's silly game.

Offering him via Early Access didn't help either, thanks to a bug on MattyCollector that stopped me from checking out, despite already having him in my cart.

It may have been fun for some collectors, but for the rest of us it was an annoying pain-in-the-neck experience, and I never want to go through that hassle ever again.

Anyone who wants the "Thrill of the Hunt" back can simply ignore the subcription option. Enjoy trying to find figs like Clamp Champ & Fang Man.
    My sentiments exactly. During early access Matty said my card code was wrong, yet it auto populates the correct number for me. So even though i had him in my cart he was then gone because their system sucks. And having finally gotten him simply means i can stop trafficking their junk website every hour. i was constantly annoyed and hope to never have this "excitement" again.

Heroic Warrior
    Hi everyone! Just a few of my thoughts on this thread:
    1. 'Iconic' or not (I think it is!), the Battle Ram:
    a. Is the first vehicle you see in the mini-comic,
    b. Is the only vehicle that the Goddess saw fit to present to our hero (c'mon, the 'chariot' is just the back half, after all),
    c. Is the ONLY ITEM on the full-color min-comic back that has yet to be realized in Classics form,
    d. Was He-Man's GO-TO CHOICE on which to assault Skeletor,
    e. Was one of the first, if not THE first vehicle we see in Filmation glory, pretty much cementing its 'iconic' status IMO,
    f. See 'e' above as justification that the Battle Ram would likely go over GANGBUSTERS with both mini-comic AND Filmation fans!

2. Of course, Spector's not the only 'timey-wimey agent' with a suit- heck, how do you think Collec-Tor ended up wearing it (bio to be released when I finish my customization of this CRITICAL Heroic Warrior...
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE