Thread: Will Hot Weather Ruin my figures?

Will Hot Weather Ruin my figures?

Hey All,

I have my figures displayed in my room, the thing is, my apartment gets really hot while I am at work in the summer months, really hot. Should I take my figures and store them in a cool, dark place, or will they be fine in hot weather. It is going to be 88 degrees this week.

Thanks!

The only damage I can imagine is if they get a little soft and it causes their ankles to loosen and fall over.

Direct sunlight will damage the figures. I'm not sure what effect high temperatures will do to the figures though.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

I have seen pics where the Griffin's wings have warped due to heat.

Heroic Warrior
    I live in AZ, and the heat definitely hits us here. Most of the figures have been solid enough to not experience any issues due to the temperature. Faker usually falls over, but nobody else seems to be affected.

Heat can soften plastic, though, and I have several Ame-Comi and Bleeding Edge Goth figures I need to lay down if I'm going to be away and not leaving a cooling source on.

The only other impact I've seen to MOTUC is that color-change Orko is more noticeably translucent during the summer.

Heat can affect the figures, but I've never had issues at around 85 in my Closet collection room in the summer....I keep the door closed and the closet in on an outside wall....that's why the heat gets up in there.

Usually it would have to be around 95 - 100 degrees for a long period to do real damage....heat without direct sunlight is just heat, no UV, nothing damaging. I have had my collection in that closet for a few years now, originally with Transformers being the dominant entity, now MOTUC is center stage....and nothing has ever happened to my figures in 85 degree heat....

But, humidity is an entirely different bird, excess humidity can damage plastic and make it sweat and do other things....make it sticky....and things like that. Letting your figures bake in the car for example can likely cause warping, which is around 120 - 130 degrees, but nothing will melt, but again, not being out of direct sunlight will lessen damage....although even that will take a while to happen.

Let me put it this way....water boils at 212 or so degrees....it takes a few seconds dipped into it for a figure to become pliable....so realistically at 100 degrees....dry heat will not do much.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I'd like to echo what others have said, direct sunlight on these figures is most likely a huge no-no- having said that, yeah. They might not appreciate a long fall in any climate, but as to 80-degree weather, they should be just fine. Y'know, just the other day, I was wondering how these expensive little gems'll hold up after twenty or so years... hmm. Guess we'll all find out...
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Quote Originally Posted by Collec-Tor View Post
    I'd like to echo what others have said, direct sunlight on these figures is most likely a huge no-no- having said that, yeah. They might not appreciate a long fall in any climate, but as to 80-degree weather, they should be just fine. Y'know, just the other day, I was wondering how these expensive little gems'll hold up after twenty or so years... hmm. Guess we'll all find out...

I hope I'm still around in 20+ years to find out. hahaha My question is will any of us remember this post then???

Thanks everyone! I feel much better now about leaving my babies out on display!

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I have seen pics where the Griffin's wings have warped due to heat.
    I just assumed the wings were made out of a softer plastic. Or at least mine is. My griffin is displayed next to Swiftwind. Griffin's wings are all droopy because of the soft plastic but Swifty is fine.

My house faces west and the UPS guy leaves my boxes on the porch in full sun. I usually cut it open and set the box in my computer room and leave it alone for a few days before opening....let it cool down naturally.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I live in Florida, and leave my air off during the day. It sometimes gets well into the 80's, and I've had no problem with my figures. I will say that any chemical breakdown of the plastic would be accelerated to some degree by constant exposure to heat, but except for the Mattel figures made during a short period where the plastic starts giving of a white powdery residue (the Green Lantern wave of the DC Universe Classics figures), I haven't hear tell of major problems like that. The only figures I might worry about a little bit are those who already have some issues, like anyone with cracks or maybe Snouty's spout. Otherwise, I think they should be okay.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I live in Florida, and leave my air off during the day. It sometimes gets well into the 80's, and I've had no problem with my figures. I will say that any chemical breakdown of the plastic would be accelerated to some degree by constant exposure to heat, but except for the Mattel figures made during a short period where the plastic starts giving of a white powdery residue (the Green Lantern wave of the DC Universe Classics figures), I haven't hear tell of major problems like that. The only figures I might worry about a little bit are those who already have some issues, like anyone with cracks or maybe Snouty's spout. Otherwise, I think they should be okay.
    To note that my 20+ year old figures had been stored in a barn for all that time, heat, Humidity, cold...what have you....

All of those were fine except my TMNT figures....which were also stored in trash bags....(my toys were toys, I didn't even remotely think about their value when they were stored, I did not collect toys until 2004....I just knew I had many old ones put away), and a few of the TMNT figures got sticky....my Transformers were fine, only 1 became brittle, because he was older than the rest, and stored differently, and my He-Man, Ceturions were also fine....the barn had gotten around 90 or so on the hottest days, but to also note....the figures were not just sitting out in the open, they were in boxes, so they had some small kind of shelter from it all....and none were in direct sunlight.

But that was the 80's toys....seems Mattel has forgotten a few things about toy making since then....bendy things, clear things....etc, so who knows about MOTUC durability in less than ideal conditions in 20 years....

All I know is you see many collections stored in garages and outside sheds, and not all are climate controlled....and many seem just fine....even carded and boxed collections. Mine are in my house, although with the collection room (closet) door closed, it gets hotter and colder in there than the rest of the house. I keep the door closed for two reasons....it keeps extra heat and cold from the house, and it keeps my figures out of sunlight and dust. Sometimes if it's really hot or cold I'll crack the door, which balances it out, while keeping most of the dust out still....but usually it gets 65 - 85 degrees in there without the door open....but factor in me opening the door to look, or my son going in there to look, so it's all good.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    But that was the 80's toys....seems Mattel has forgotten a few things about toy making since then....bendy things, clear things....etc, so who knows about MOTUC durability in less than ideal conditions in 20 years....
    Well don't forget, as far as the vintage MOTU figures go, they were made out of really hard, durable plastic (except the heads). The figures nowadays must be made with less durable, more flexible materials due to the articulation involved.

Heat ruined my Fright Zone puppet!

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    Well don't forget, as far as the vintage MOTU figures go, they were made out of really hard, durable plastic (except the heads). The figures nowadays must be made with less durable, more flexible materials due to the articulation involved.
    Snout's Vintage Spout was rubbery and posable....yet the modern one started dry rotting....yet, they use the rubbery plastic that they use to cover modern Barbie endoskeletons....and they don't rot, rip or tear....let's not use that tech on a top of the line high prices collectors line.

Also, the Vintage figures still used a PVC & ABS plastic, they were still durable....and the softer plastic on the figures is for the loin cloths, capes and armors (due to being thinner), the plastic however is still the same, just a modern recipe. Articulation may lessen the durability of the joints, but the parts themselves should be more durable than their 80's counterparts....but some modern techniques and materials used....are not.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    The only damage I can imagine is if they get a little soft and it causes their ankles to loosen and fall over.
    This is already happening to mine.
    I had a domino effect with all the guards as well as my classics 200x display.

Procrustus was the latest to go - especially interesting because I think it was the knees that did him in. (He has no ankles)

The only way hot weather could "ruin them" is months of direct hard sunlight yellowing the figures, or if they are standing on concrete an slowly melting away.

I would just keep them out of "direct sunlight" to prevent warping.
    But even warping can be corrected easily.

Use boiling water, heat for 30 seconds then get out and position them however you can using books, rubber bands, whatever floats your boat and simply place them back in the original position an brace that way for about 30 mins letting them cool in the original position.

Bam, instant fix!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    The real concern would be the cracked figures, which I kind of glossed over. If the cracks are forming because of pressure on the plastic, heat would tend to make it worse over time. Regardless of what they are made of, heat will make the material expand, and that would add to the pressure, and possibly the cracks (again, if pressure on the parts is the root cause of the cracks to begin with). Even if it isn't pressure from a mis-assembly or bad fit making the plastic split, the expansion of the plastic around the crack could cause enough pressure to widen it in and of itself.

Ain't physics fun?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman