Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So Scott Neitlich has an end game in sight> 2015 is the 'wrap up'?

So Scott Neitlich has an end game in sight> 2015 is the 'wrap up'?

Who has the power? As a Masters of the Universe® fan, it’s all yours! For five years, you’ve supported Club Eternia® and because of you we continue to offer ridiculously awesome sculpted updates of favorites from the worlds of He-Man® and She-Ra®. For 2014, the focus will be on the core vintage line, with the ultimate goal of wrapping it up in 2015.
    From the Subscription page on mattycollector.com

does he mean wrapping up the line or wrapping up the rest of the core characters?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Pretty much the rest of the core characters.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Heroic Warrior
    "the focus will be on the core vintage line, with the ultimate goal of wrapping it up in 2015."

As it says: wrapping up the vintage characters by the end of 2015. And i think the focus will be on Masters and on POP.
    Will MotuC live beyond that? well plenty of New Adventures, 200x, concepts, prototypes, sidecharacters and so on left.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    Pretty much the rest of the core characters.
    Yes. The line is getting long in the tooth, and the short-term (2-year) goal is to hit all the vintage MOTU/PoP/NA figures as well as a smattering of the most popular FILMation characters as well by the end of 2015. After that? Who knows. If Mattel can get enough subscribers in 2016 without any heavy-hitters left, I guess the line-up is going to have to be chock full of C-listers, variants, and (maybe) all-new characters. Or maybe the sub dies after 2015 and Mattel will just release a random figure here and there as they see fit.

Heroic Warrior
    Scott has said multiple times that the goal is to finish the vintage MOTU line in the next two years, but I think it has been left entirely open as to whether that will include the complete POP line. They will not get to all the NA figures and have specifically put off the generic-looking Galactic Protectors to post 2015. That means no Kayo, Nocturna, etc. As far as POP, I think that means there may be one or two figures that don't get made. A likely candidate might be Double Trouble, who has no media support.

Key Filmation characters are also included in this, which I imagine includes the likes of Madame Razz and Broom, Lizard Man, Seahawk and a few fan-demanded characters such as Strongarm and Lord Masque. I hope this also means key Jetlag characters such as Mara, Crita, and Master Sebrian. Have the Jetlag characters been confirmed.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I think as long as they can get enough subbers to keep it going, it will continue. And we aren't necessarily out of heavy hitters; there's been a lot of requests for things like He-Man and Teela 2.0. Also keep in mind that they have a large collection of available tooling that's not going to be very useful outside of MOTU (only so many bulky guys in the DC Universe that have that build), so there's an incentive there to keep making things as long as it's profitable to do so. From what I'm gathering, they seem to think that it may not go past that from dropping sub sales, thus the focus on finishing up the vintage stuff. I doubt they've outright decided to close the door just yet, though, simply because, without the monthly MOTU money to rely on, I can't see how Matty avoids closing its virtual doors. There's a big picture to look at, and I've always maintained, no MOTUC, no Matty.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I'm fairly certain if the interest is there, they'll continue in 2016. But probably not as a monthly subscription. I guess subs will tell the tale!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    The line could carry on after 2015 - it would be very interesting to see if the remaining fan base can support the line after the main characters are done.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

Wrapping the core Vintage...., and likely the line if no one is interested past 2015....but he's just referring to the Vintage core.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

YES! YES! YES! Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    They will (mostly) finish up the core characters in '15. They will do some reveals of what to expect in '16 and put up preorders. If the sub numbers aren't met, they aren't met. I'd bet we would see a 6-fig lineup at reduced numbers and increased cost.

Long story short, I'm basically agreeing with Val.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Perhaps that is part of the reason some of our core characters aren't seeing a re-release. They could actually lure some new fans into buying a sub in 2016 by offering Teela 2.0, etc. with some remaining characters we still need to fill in the gaps in our collections. I think it would be a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    If the sub numbers aren't met, they aren't met. I'd bet we would see a 6-fig lineup at reduced numbers and increased cost.

Long story short, I'm basically agreeing with Val.
    I personally hope not since there are so many great characters and figures to be made. If we can get through 2017 then it starts to tail off but that still misses a lot of characters.
    I guess there are just too many people in the MOTU realm.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    I personally hope not since there are so many great characters and figures to be made. If we can get through 2017 then it starts to tail off but that still misses a lot of characters.
    I guess there are just too many people in the MOTU realm.
    Lots of characters, not nearly as many 'A' Listers.

Heroic Warrior
    I think the main plan is to finish the vintage line(s). 2015 would achieve that goal, following Toyguru.

NEVERTHELESS, I fear there's a big danger for the line too... I really hope I'm wrong, but too many bad things keep happening (Digital River blunders, issues with the subs, QC problems, broken promises, etc.). I guess only time will tell...

the biggest issue is the characters that need unique sculpts. Modulok, Multi-bot, Rotar, Twistoid, Gwildor, Extendar i think we have the parts to get him essentially.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    I think the main plan is to finish the vintage line(s). 2015 would achieve that goal, following Toyguru.

NEVERTHELESS, I fear there's a big danger for the line too... I really hope I'm wrong, but too many bad things keep happening (Digital River blunders, issues with the subs, QC problems, broken promises, etc.). I guess only time will tell...
    yeah, I've turned into a negative Neddy the last few months I admit, so this is the first time I believe that the subs may not reach the target.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    the biggest issue is the characters that need unique sculpts. Modulok, Multi-bot, Rotar, Twistoid, Gwildor, Extendar i think we have the parts to get him essentially.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, I've turned into a negative Neddy the last few months I admit, so this is the first time I believe that the subs may not reach the target.
    Even though I'm not a NA or POP guy, I'd say that characters like Glimmer, Angella, Flogg, and Hydron are more 'A' List than most of what was just mentioned. And the tooling for these would be a lot less costly than something like Twistoid.

Even though I'm not a NA or POP guy, I'd say that characters like Glimmer, Angella, Flogg, and Hydron are more 'A' List than most of what was just mentioned. And the tooling for these would be a lot less costly than something like Twistoid.
    I'm not talking a list as much as I'm talking vintage wrap up. My interpretation (mind you this is just an interpretation) for core vintage is MOTU vinatge, (reason being MOTU is the core of the brand. NA and PoP are spin offs.) so using THAT interpretation there are 16 MOTU characters left, variants not included and some we MAY be getting this year.

Blade
    Blast Attack
    Dragstor
    Extendar
    Gwildor
    Hord e Troopers
    Modulok
    Multibot
    Ninjor
    Rio Blast

Rotar
    Twistoid
    Saurod
    Sssqueeze
    Tung Lashor

Twistoid
    Two-Bad

I've bolded the ones we are most likely to get due to less tooling requirements and opportunity for parts sharing with existing figures. we could knock about 4 off this list this year so w COULD be down to 12 vintage MOTU figures for 2013. now PoP fans are pretty important to the line and Scott would be foolish not to include PoP.

Angella
    Double Trouble
    Entrapta
    Flutterina
    Glimmer
    Kowl
    Lookee
    Mermista
    Peek a Blue
    Perfuma
    Spinerella
    Sweetbee

We may get some this year, but barring that we have about 30 figures left not incl NA - which to be fair will likely get the LOWEST priority outside of 200X and new characters for the next 2 years. so if Mattel buckles down they can finish off MOTU and Pop by 2015, possibly finish off NA too, again barring the toons variants and Meteorbs. - I don't see the meteorbs getting ANY love with this line.

Fear is faith in failure

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    I agree that if Scott really tries, he can easily finish off POP and MOTU by the end of 2015, and I really don't think 2014/15 will have any problem meeting at least the minimum. Hopefully with the new quarterly shipping option, some international collectors will come back to the line.
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

This old chestnut?

I know that Vintage is where we started. However, PoP and NA-while not as represented over the life of Classics-are inherently a part of its history. The 1st- and 2nd- tier of NA and PoP deserve better treatment than the 4th tier of vintage. "Wrapping up" is not as much about finishing off "vintage" as it is finishing off the 'A' listers.

This old chestnut?

I know that Vintage is where we started. However, PoP and NA-while not as represented over the life of Classics-are inherently a part of its history. The 1st- and 2nd- tier of NA and PoP deserve better treatment than the 4th tier of vintage. "Wrapping up" is not as much about finishing off "vintage" as it is finishing off the 'A' listers.
    I'm not saying it to start a war or anything just saying my interpretation. see an A lister for a C list line may not trump a C lister on an A list line. See every character has it's fans, as does every line. the question is what is considered core to Scott may not be core to me or you.

to ME core is the main line, motu, followed by pop and NA. any C lister (that had a toy) in MOTU - for ME is more important to my collection than ANYONE from PoP or NA. that doesn't mean they are more important to the brand, doesn't even mean I don't want them, just to ME and MY collection getting a full run of all the vintage MOTU unique characters means more than getting A listers form - to ME - less important lines. and we have seen that a lot of this line does get dictated by what Scott wants to see. Obviously he likes the Horde more than the Snakemen, Obviously he isn't big on PoP, so he may interpret core vintage as the MOTU cast. personally I do but I'm not running the line, and if I was I would - despite my personal feeling sprinkle in A listers from the other lines too.

For the record I REALLY want scorpia, huntara, Madam Razz and broom to get made, badly, but if I had to choose, i'd take ninjor and rio blast over ALL of them in a heartbeat. welll maybe not rio over scorpia.

Fear is faith in failure

That's fair. And I'm only a first year subscriber, but I think that the people who have supported the line by subscribing since the beginning under the assumption that this line covered all eras (as stated by TG on several occasions) deserve better than to have a main character from their favorite era sacrificed for a spinning top with arms.

That's fair. And I'm only a first year subscriber, but I think that the people who have supported the line by subscribing since the beginning under the assumption that this line covered all eras (as stated by TG on several occasions) deserve better than to have a main character from their favorite era sacrificed for a spinning top with arms.
    I personally LOVE those tops!! but I don't disagree with you, I think Rotar and Twistoid will be lower on the totem pole than hydron or flogg, but truthfully because of budget more than anything, it's just convenient that they are f - listers as well as unique sculpts!

Fear is faith in failure

The line isn't over until the last Battle Armor Crocobite has been sold off Matty Collector!
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I'm hoping to get through 2014 first Has anyone seen the meter for the 2014 sub? Not looking good so far and I know it has only been a few days, but you usually havea big surge at the opening of the sub and near the end

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I'm hoping to get through 2014 first Has anyone seen the meter for the 2014 sub? Not looking good so far and I know it has only been a few days, but you usually havea big surge at the opening of the sub and near the end
    the surge will come after the SDCC reveals, right now only the stalwarts are buying, most are waiting for the reveals. I won't lie as embittered as I've been if they wow me at SDCC I might change my tune and sub again!

Fear is faith in failure