Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Octavia Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarliehog View Post
    Do we know for sure if the crotch piece is new? I hadn't heard that.
    I believe it was Toy Fair this year where Scott said she should be the first to feature the new crotch piece that all the female figures would have going forward. I could be wrong though...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Why don't you ever pose Horde Prime with your Evil Horde figures in your videos?
    Not really a fan of the character, to be honest. Plus, he's supposed to tbe the head guy. He's not really running around with Hordak and his crew. He's off somewhere else. So....that's my reasoning I guess.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Thanks for the review Dan!

I am sure there are still a lot of people who haven't had there figure delivered as of yet and your reviews are particularly important for us MOC collectors who sadly never get to pose them around. We can live vicariously through you dude!

I reeeeally like this figure. Just hope mine doesn't have weak ankles (I will open them one day I swear it!)
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

So is Mattel now acting like movie studios by holding back the product from it's best reviewer to keep them from not buying the product due to weak ankles, no boot articulation and an odd skirt/leotard? Movie studios cancel or never schedule previews of a movie to keep the reviewers from canning a weak film. Octavia isn't weak by any means, but not Mattel's best figure either. Maybe that's why Dan got her so late? hmmmmmm
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    You generally make a fine point, but I do not believe ou illustrate it well with this example. I've read this before, not sure if it was from you or someone else, but I just don't agree. If Octavia came out with a blue outfit, that'd be like if they changed Skeletor's hood pink. This is a simple design change. More like swapping out Skeletor's fanned belt thing for the fuzzy loincloth.
    Ok, I'll try a new one. Intentionally reversing Stinkor's forearms was also a "simple" design choice, but a lot of people were pretty steamed about that. That was not an error, that is what Design purposefully did. When I look at the original prototype of Octavia, it doesn't look like she is wearing a skirt. So I don't think she was "designed" (ie when made by the 4 Horsemen) to have a skirt. Rather I think someone decided to re-purpose it as a skirt. Similarly if you look at the pictures we have seem of Shokoti she does not appear to have been designed wearing a skirt...so i will be interested to see if she ends up with a similar issue as Octavia.

And in the end my concern is more directed towards the future. I am hopeful that this feedback will affect upcoming figures like Glimmer and Angella. But I imagine that if they (along with Shokoti) have this same issue it won't matter to the people that are not bothered by Octavia.

So I will let it go, I have pretty much said all that I can anyway. Besides, since I am clever I can (and have) fix this easily enough anyway.

Well ok... one final point. I imagine that Octavia's MASSIVE tentacles will be more of an issue to her sitting than the design of her bottom .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Thanks for the review Dan!

I reeeeally like this figure. Just hope mine doesn't have weak ankles (I will open them one day I swear it!)
    Unfortunately, the weak ankle issue seems pretty wide spread. I would just bank on yours having them.

However, someone here suggested a fix and I have found it to work great. I use a brush on sealer for customizing, and they suggested applying 2 coats to the ankle area. I did so, and she really stands much better. Before I had problems with mine falling forward even on a stand

Quote Originally Posted by darthdrew13 View Post
    So is Mattel now acting like movie studios by holding back the product from it's best reviewer to keep them from not buying the product due to weak ankles, no boot articulation and an odd skirt/leotard? Movie studios cancel or never schedule previews of a movie to keep the reviewers from canning a weak film. Octavia isn't weak by any means, but not Mattel's best figure either. Maybe that's why Dan got her so late? hmmmmmm
    To be fair, the only female figures that have the boot cut articulation are ones that either use the Teela/BG Teela legs and boots, or the She-Ra legs and boots. Other female figures like the Star Sisters, Frosta or Netossa do not have the boot cut articulation either.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    I get that it would not be a full wrap around piece do to the construction of MOTUC. To my knowledge, the only figure that has that type of construction in the line, be it male or female, is King Hiss. What i think might have helped is if the piece was shaped or molded to bend inwards a bit. Look at Snout Spout or Flipshot, they both do so.

I am not expecting a full "brief" piece like say Power Girl or Wonder Woman. But even if she had been designed more like Tallstar (not legs, the "brief/leotard piece) it would have looked better.
    Snout Spout and Flipshot both have shorter (proportionally) crotch pieces, that are not pointed, they are rounded. Not the same thing. Likely, the material that they used for the crotch piece prevented them from molding a piece that was both thin and soft enough for the legs to move around, and rounded like you describe.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arent absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I dont collect toys to be miserable. So Id rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    octaviascreen07.png

Ten characters.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Warrior
    I must say I'm pleased with Octavia.

There's just ONE thing I CAN'T possibly forgive Mattel for : the weak ankles ! You'd think that by now, they would use the new ankles, ESPECIALLY for a character such as this one, which carries more weight due to the tentacles !

I'm VERY concerned that we might get the SAME weak ankles for Scorpia, who ALSO has more weight to her due to her scorpion tail !

I also think they should give back the boot cut to female figures.

Other than this, Octavia is really a nice figure, and a character that fans desired and requested for decades.

Thank you Pixel Dan for the REview. I sure hope you'll get next month's figures in time so we can actually have a PREview BEFORE they go on sale... we still have to see Clamp Champ and Icer, if I remember right...

I was watching the review on my lap top, while sitting on my front porch, when the mail lady came and dropped my figure off! Interesting. Cool review, as always. Too bad about her ankles. I've yet to open mine and give her a once over, so, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Anyone notice the 1, 2 , 3 , 4 on each different tentacle?
    I saw them point it out on the Fwoosh review....before I got my figure.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Actually, the 4H do put articulation into their prototypes. The individual parts are held together at the joints by pins. However, I do agree that since Mattel are responsible for the tooling process, the amount of articulation a figure ultimately has is up to them.
    They are not as fully articulated as the final figure would / should be....the thigh / crotch section is one solid piece for example....the thighs are not independently articulated. Some of the other stuff may be, but for one it's highly brittle, and likely why the thighs are one piece.

Many of the new ones are like this, you could tell on the Strobo & Icer prototypes.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I don't think it's that. Mattel didn't get any of their June product early. That includes DCUC and the like. It happens sometimes. If samples don't show up at the Mattel offices from the factory, they've got nothing to send out for review. Keep in mind that their office is not the same place that the actual stock goes. They get a small handful of samples sent to their office early, and that's what they then turn around to distribute to the reviewers. I think this is just a case where they never received their samples from the factory, or they just arrived too late. Scott gave me fair warning that they most likley wouldn't get the June stuff in time to send out for review.

So, I just reviewed my subscription Octavia when she showed up.

I know it seems convenient, but I honestly think it was nothing more than the factory not getting Mattel the samples in time.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    Ok, I'll try a new one. Intentionally reversing Stinkor's forearms was also a "simple" design choice, but a lot of people were pretty steamed about that. That was not an error, that is what Design purposefully did. When I look at the original prototype of Octavia, it doesn't look like she is wearing a skirt. So I don't think she was "designed" (ie when made by the 4 Horsemen) to have a skirt. Rather I think someone decided to re-purpose it as a skirt. Similarly if you look at the pictures we have seem of Shokoti she does not appear to have been designed wearing a skirt...so i will be interested to see if she ends up with a similar issue as Octavia.

And in the end my concern is more directed towards the future. I am hopeful that this feedback will affect upcoming figures like Glimmer and Angella. But I imagine that if they (along with Shokoti) have this same issue it won't matter to the people that are not bothered by Octavia.

So I will let it go, I have pretty much said all that I can anyway. Besides, since I am clever I can (and have) fix this easily enough anyway.

Well ok... one final point. I imagine that Octavia's MASSIVE tentacles will be more of an issue to her sitting than the design of her bottom .
    (I'll just answer this, since it's pretty much a contiuation of your original response to me)

I suppose I just have to agree to disagree on this one. "Baffling" was a harsh way of putting it and I apologize. I feel the triangle skirt is the right choice because it looks like the triangluar head of a squid, and it gives her costume something unique rather than the standard cartoon PoP leotard. I don't agree that, if they had wanted a skirt, they should have used an existing skirt design that we've seen in the toyline already, because those skirts don't match her design. The triangle is lined up with the v-neck uniform she wears, and the shoulder pads give her upper half a triangular look as well. For these reasons I find myself confused when people are unhappy with the look of the skirt, since for all intents and purposes it lines up with her design asthetic.

I understand that people want the cartoon design, but it's such a small change that, for one, doesn't change the sculpt of the body (like Stinkor's forearms) and for two, doesn't change an iconic color (like Skeletor's hood). A leotard is far from iconic, since so many are wearing them in the toon. I'd say changing those shoulder pads or the way the Horde symbol is arranged on her chest or her boots would be something worthy of mention and strange things to change. The leotard just seems like something unimportant and out of the way, and if I wanted to add a bit of flair to the classic costume without changing the iconic look, i'd add it there.

Once again, though: just my reasoning and opinion. I'm not gona change anyone's mind and I'm not trying to. That's just why I was confused.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't think conspiracy theories are in order on this one; Mattel got the shipment late, as stated numerous times in the past month. There's a big difference in a film studio not pre-screening a low-budget horror movie because they know it will rake in money regardless of the undoubtedly-bad reviews it will get from the mainstream reviewers, and this.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Heroic Warrior
    I'm so baffled right now that I just can't wait for my squid flavoured Shokoti!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I don't think it's that. Mattel didn't get any of their June product early. That includes DCUC and the like. It happens sometimes. If samples don't show up at the Mattel offices from the factory, they've got nothing to send out for review. Keep in mind that their office is not the same place that the actual stock goes. They get a small handful of samples sent to their office early, and that's what they then turn around to distribute to the reviewers. I think this is just a case where they never received their samples from the factory, or they just arrived too late. Scott gave me fair warning that they most likley wouldn't get the June stuff in time to send out for review.

So, I just reviewed my subscription Octavia when she showed up.

I know it seems convenient, but I honestly think it was nothing more than the factory not getting Mattel the samples in time.
    Understood. Yeah, my explanation was a stretch, but it was a fun conspiracy theory while it lasted!

-----

Oh, and hey, you never told me where I can get a Battle Armor Skeletor shirt!
    Take it easy,
    Drew

Looking for: deals on MOTUC Roboto, King He-Man, Meckaneck, Zoar (from Sorceress) and more!
    Have to trade: A couple MOTU vintage, GIJOE (vintage 3.75 inch and 25th Anniversary figures and vehicles), Star Wars, Transformers (movie line), and Marvel Universe and a few Marvel Legends, plus MORE!.

darthdrew13's B/S/T

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Just thought I'd chime in and say the ankles on my Octavia are fairly good...one is awesome and the other is just good. I can get her to stand pretty good. Thanks for the review Dan!

Hey Dan. I don't suppose you have any other reviews in the works??? cc?
    Last edited by Canada-Man; June 21, 2013 at 07:27pm.

Geez! Octavia is by far the best release of the year, so far!

Now I just need Scorpia, Entrapta, and the Horde Troopers to make their appearance! Anythine else "Horde" is just icing on the cake for our collections!
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post

Now I just need Scorpia, Entrapta, and the Horde Troopers to make their appearance! Anythine else "Horde" is just icing on the cake for our collections!
    She is awesome, and definitely the best female release of 2013 so far.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

My Octavia is fine the ankles are not loose and I have had no problem getting her to stand.
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Why don't you ever pose Horde Prime with your Evil Horde figures in your videos?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Not really a fan of the character, to be honest. Plus, he's supposed to tbe the head guy. He's not really running around with Hordak and his crew. He's off somewhere else. So....that's my reasoning I guess.
    Oh yeah? What about Cy-Chop? Stop the anti-Cy-Chop-robot bias! Wow, that's a lot of hyphens...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post

Well, there's still that Modulok guy.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    And Dragstor, and Dylamug, and the Mummy dude. I love the Horde and will take any of em. Even new ones like Cy-Chop.

And great review as always, Dan. It's cool you still do the review even though everyone got their Octavias already. Always fun to watch whether you looking forward to the figure or if it's chillin right in front of ya.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

This was pretty pointless since everyone already had her. Just saying.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ozone View Post
    I could not disagree more, for the following reasons:

1.) It's great for "archival" purposes. It'd be weird for there to be a figure Dan didn't review in MOTUC

2.) She'll be available for purchase on the secondary market for years and decades to come. People might want to look up a review of her before laying down money for her. I've done this plenty of times for toys I missed in the past.

3.) Some people (like myself) just like to hear Dan's opinions about things. I have a sub, so it's not like I'm making a buying decision based on his review. In fact, from the what we know about MOTUC the majority of buyers are probably in that boat. Though I know some might use it to decide whether to keep or resell a sub figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ozone View Post
    Why? Dan has done every MOTUC figure yet....last year a lot of his reviews were either after a sale or just before....simply because of the fact so many figures were late last year.

And not every MOTUC collector has her, or had decided they wanted her....not everyone buys DOS, not everyone can, and the fact she sold out on Matty will send many to BBTS, Ebay, Toywiz...etc, and they need to know if they want to shell out 3rd party money for her or not....

There are many that will go to the Marketplace here that either missed her DOS, or just waited for someone else to offer her up for cheaper than 3rd party....and many of those, would love to see a review beforehand.

So no, not pointless.
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Oh yeah? What about Cy-Chop? Stop the anti-Cy-Chop-robot bias! Wow, that's a lot of hyphens...
    I love Cy-Chop!
    He may not be a core Horde member, but he's in it for his revenge on Kro... Trap Jaw

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    Well, there's still that Modulok guy.
    I finally want my MODULOK!
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!