Thread: I lost my job

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar

I lost my job

My career as a peace officer ended today, now I am stuck with no career at 36 years old.

I don't know what to do.

Heroic Warrior undeadplastic2711's Avatar
    What happened? Was it sudden?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Knight View Post
    My career as a peace officer ended today, now I am stuck with no career at 36 years old.

I don't know what to do.

That sounds like really very bad luck; I'm so sorry to hear it.

But, you know, it is possible to change career; not always easy, but it CAN be done. I did it - and don't regret it.
    I hope that you are able to find the same.

Master of New Adventures!
    It seems very difficult for me to believe that someone who has had the courage and dedication to put their life on the line on a daily basis in an effort to maintain law and order won't be able to find another department that will appreciate them. You're relatively young and you have experience. It may mean a bit of a search and perhaps relocating, but I have to believe you'll secure a new and possibly better position in law enforcement.

I wish you good luck and I thank you for your past service.

QUOTE=Eternian Knight;3274935]My career as a peace officer ended today, now I am stuck with no career at 36 years old.

I don't know what to do.[/QUOTE]

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    Thank you everyone for the kind words.

Unfortunately I left my department on bad terms. I hate to say it it all police departments are very political and if you don't have the "right friends" people will try and ruin everything you have worked hard for.

I really can't go into detail because it also is a court matter, but I'll just say that in Sonoma County when you need help in a department where our number one job is to help others everyone looks out for themselves.

I'm sorry for you having to go through hard times.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

That really sucks.

It's strange how political any job can be. Even when I worked at K-mart in high school there were weird politics there!

Heroic Warrior
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you find a position soon. Job market is tough. "Office" politics suck. They occur in many different fields unfortunately. Maybe you can find something along the same lines that you were doing as a peace officer. Or maybe a career change? I know it must be hard but hang in there.

Sorry to hear Knight. I was laid off a few years ago from my professional field. I made due over the years, but 2012 was the worst. I now work for a "regular" desk job that doesn't require a college degree. I make 1/4 of my previous salary, but this job is stable and gives me the opportunity to have health insurance at a discounted rate.

I'm sure your professional experience has greatly improved your resume. Times are tough, but exhaust your resources and network. I'm not sure if you were fired, laid off, etc... If you were laid off I would highly suggest getting on unemployment. I did, but it took me a while. I recommend doing it immediately. It is NOT the same as welfare! Your employer paid for your unemployment insurance/benefits. Use it while you figure out your plans. Make good use of your time and keep on trucking, and/or re-evaluate what's really important to you, in general and career-wise.

Best of luck man!

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    sorry to hear this I hope you bounce back soon
    Check out my auctions for Thundercats, MOTU,Transformers, Gi-Joe and WWE!♫

http://tinyurl.com/7cadj6b

Visit my Blog at http://2coolghouls.blogspot.com/

Heroic Warrior
    Hullo 'Knight,

that does indeed sound bad - and I don't know the actual circumstances, obviously - but if it's any help at all to you.....

I served ten years as a regular officer in the Armed Forces of the Crown (yes - a redcoat..) and I'm still a Reservist officer with my unit and still do my bit.

I left regular service at 35 because my wife was weary of my absence and we had sons to bring up whose father was off away too much; and she had no desire at all to be left with them if anything happened to me - as it did to my Godson's father, my closest friend. So out I came - and had to decide what to do. The offers I got all involved security of some kind - usually overseas - or else arms, and I felt I'd had enough of the carnage for a while. One does. I got a bit depressed at all this - and felt purposeless and cut-off. I wrote an article for a military journal on the experience of returning to civilian life - and it was well-received; a senior officer asked me to help script his memoirs for publication and I did so. I also wrote some stories about my time in service - toned down for the civilian reader, of course. They got published too; it was slow work and far from well paid and I almost despaired. But I stuck at it - as I had learned to while slogging it out with the Enemy. I had a year or more of that - and then approached an agent who took me in hand. She is hard, mean, thrusting and outspoken to a degree, with a nice line in sarcasm - and I fear her wrath mightily. I call her Evil-Lyn - though not to her face. But she was/is good for me and makes me write to time and to purpose (mostly) and gets me published - six novels, a fantasy for young adults and an anthology of supernatural tales - and another to come next year.

It's harder than it sounds, writing for a living - and she is like a hawk hovering (and if she finds out I've written some MotU fiction for pleasure and not profit she will surely slay me in cold, cold blood..) but I can't now imagine doing anything else - even if it does mean strange working hours and the need for a lot of self-motivation at times. And I get away from it by going off with my reserve unit from time to time to maintain my (supposed) sanity.

Forgive the long and detailed bio - but I'm hoping that it may help you to know that others have passed this way before you - and survived and come out on the other side still intact and even happy. It can be done, even if, at first, it seems a dark and doubtful path to tread. You aren't alone - and something will show.
    I hope for your sake that it does so soon. There are idiotic, selfish, backstabbing, graceless people in this world who take it for granted that policemen and warriors will fight and die for them to remain just as they are by some kind of right.
    But - for every one of those there really are a dozen kind, decent, caring and honest people who know, understand and are grateful. And that's who we do it for.

With all good wishes for your renewal,

S.

Heroic Warrior
    Sorry to hear this Eternian Knight things will get better in time best of luck to you.
    "These are the days of high adventure"

Sorry man. I can relate though my situation isn't exactly the same. I lost my job after an 8 year run due to
    a downsize, and while I wasn't kicked due to backstage politics I can say they've existed in every job I've had.
    It's terrible when it happens because of them though. My sister had it happen to her losing a retail management job
    because some other guy didn't like her. He found any tiny thing to misconstrue, until she was let go.
    But she ended up getting the same position at a rival company a year later, and the guy that got her fired
    actually got fired for internal theft. So there you go. Obviously a police station is a different environment, but
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear a year from now you found the same job in another state perhaps, and that
    the suck ups royally messed up somehow, also got fired, leaving you to shrug your shoulders, and go "Huh."

As for me I may have a job Tuesday doing something entirely different than I've been doing for 13 years.
    But so long as my bills are paid, and I can afford a new game once in awhile it's all good.

Good luck to you man. I'm sure if all else fails you could get a job doing private security. Which might
    be cool. Still get to protect people even if he or she is famous. But whatever you decide good luck to you.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

Good luck on your next stage of your career. Now is the time to make a lateral or vertical move for a better future. Just remember, no matter what you apply for, apply for something a little beyond your current capability. How else will you grow?
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.