Thread: the Hunger Games and MOTU Connection

the Hunger Games and MOTU Connection

oK. so i just finished reading the Hunger Games.
    And I thought this was wacky:
    I wonder if this is merely a coincidence but there are secondary characters in the first book named:

Glimmer
    Titus
    Octavia

I wonder if the author is a fan?

Any ideas?

I'm about to start the second book I will update if I see anything else...

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I think Glimmer is just a coincidence - many of the character names, especially those associated with the Capitol area, have names coming from ancient Rome, such as Caesar, Cinna, Portia, etc, so Titus and Octavia fit right in there.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Yeah, these names did not originate in MOTU.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Yeah, Roman names. Even spelled correctly.

Glimmer is a common word: glimmer of hope, glimmer of gold, etc.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Yep, all coincidence. Octavia the Younger was the sister of the first Roman Emperor, Augustus and the fourth wife of Mark Antony. Titus was a Roman Emperor as well having ruled during the Vesuvius eruption in AD 79.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

The only connection I made was A huge powerful empire, much like The Horde, has total control over the land, and Katniss, much like She-Ra, leads A rebellion against said empire.

However, my twisted mindset likes to think of the Capital as Ryan Seacrest's utopian wet dream when the reality television industry, and the communist underground overthrow the country, and force us to watch The Kardashians humiliate their political enemies on live TV. Of course, if Ryan Seacrest ever found out that 'The Hunger Games' books were A scathing satire on reality television, he would've sued Suzanne Collins for liable, and slander, because if more people found that out, 'American Idol' would be canceled, and The Kardashians would end up on the street corner. So he can't have that.

Also, aside from one girl named 'Glimmer', there's also A guy named 'Marvel'.
    Last edited by mbaker; June 25, 2013 at 12:11pm.

Well. It looks like I should have paid more attention in history class. haha.