Thread: Ebay/Paypal question

Ebay/Paypal question

I bought an item off Ebay last night, and when I reached the Paypal confirmation page, I noticed a little message above my shipping address stating:

The address you entered on eBay is different than your PayPal preferred shipping address. Return to eBay if you'd like to change the shipping address.

The only thing that is amiss from the shipping address is that the Plus-4 code is missing. However, when I follow Paypal's prompt and go back to Ebay's "Checkout: Review Order" page, my shipping address with the Plus-4 code is shown (as I want it to be). So I go back to Paypal to check my account settings and my address registered to Paypal has the Plus-4 code as well. So what gives? How can I get my address to sync up properly between Ebay and Paypal. I'm not given the option to change my address once I've advanced from Ebay's checkout page to Paypal (it just tells me to go back to Ebay as I stated, where the address is correct). It just seems like Paypal is pulling up an older version of my address before I started using the extended zip code.

It's not a huge deal; the Plus-4 code isn't essential. Just a bit frustrating that I can't figure this out. I looked back at the past couple packages I've received thru Ebay, and sure enough none of them have the Plus-4 code, so the 'incomplete' address is the one sellers are being prompted to use.

If anyone could shed some light on the issue, I'd appreciate it.
    I'll lead you into danger
    And all that troubles man
    I'll lead you far from hunger
    Just take my frozen hand

Heroic Warrior
    i seem to be having the same problem this week! for some reason the payment process now appears to be truncating the +4 zip address that i have been using since day one (on both ebay and paypal). in both systems, i only have the 5+4 zip but now it's killing the +4 bit. not sure why, it has to be a new "bug".

Hey there. I actually found a workaround for this. I just didn't post about it since no one else seemed to be having any trouble.

What you have to do is to add a new entry to your list of addresses in Ebay, but you must make some minor change to your name, and then just make the new address your primary shipping address. Click on the Account tab in My Ebay, and then Addresses. Click on View All Addresses, and then it gives you the option to add more.

It's weird. When I was trying to fix this, I saw that one of my listed addresses on Ebay didn't have the +4 code. So, even though that address was NOT selected as my primary shipping addresses, I deleted the entry figuring that it was fouling up the whole system for me. Well, that didn't fix it. Even with that address deleted from the system, when I'd go thru checkout and advance to Paypal, the +4 was missing.

So that's when I started experimenting with adding new addresses. What I found is that when I'd add a new address and make a slight change to my name - add an initial, or even add an extra space between my first and last name - while leaving the rest of the address the same as before, and making THAT my primary shipping address, I was finally able to advance past checkout with the +4 code intact and recognized by Paypal.

I actually had 2 versions of my name already in their system: one with middle initial (and a period) and one with no middle initial. And adding a new address using either of these 2 names resulted in failure both times. I only found success when adding a new address with my middle initial and no period, or like I said just adding an extra space between my first and last name also did work. It's all very silly.

So the tl;dr version:

1. Go to My Ebay > Account > Addresses > View All Addresses > Add New Address
    2. Add a new address, which can be exactly the same as your old address with the exception of your name. Make any slight change to your name.
    3. Make it your primary shipping address, or select that address during checkout.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Light; July 11, 2013 at 03:38am.
    I'll lead you into danger
    And all that troubles man
    I'll lead you far from hunger
    Just take my frozen hand

Heroic Warrior
    hi Light,
    wow, thanks for sharing your experiments and advice! i'll definitely give this a try. i feel a lot better giving the full 9-digit zip code because i actually happen to live on the border of the post office routes, so the +4 extension kills any confusion the P.O. may have