Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Clamp Champ won't be available DOS

I'm excited to get this figure. July is going to be a big month!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    It seems unusual that you would have known the day you subbed that "Clamp-Chump" would even be part of said sub, so I call shenanigans!
    He's vintage and an easy tool compared to others so I pretty much expected him this year, so not really a big surprise to see. He never appeared in any cartoons so I personally have no attachment to him. He's an easy one to put up for sale, which I'd always planned to do.
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    The skin is much more glossy than the prototype. I am elated to have bought 2 subs more because I wanted an extra clamp champ and no dos would've made that suck.
    The glossy skin really harkens back to the vintage figure... and I love how strong his color scheme looks... really the best silver paint we've seen yet! Not to always bring Netossa up, but man- she really would have looked great with these metallic blues and silvers just like her classic toy had. They're going to make a great couple nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    OY! The face isn't bad per se, but just going by this pic, he looks a lot rougher than when last we saw him... LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, good timing on this one, Mattel! You took a vintage figure and specifically made this one DOS stock only, during the month of SDCC, to strong-arm those on the fence about 2014 to sub up or miss out. Both super manipulative and brilliant as far as guaranteeing sales go, ha ha!
    As a subscriber, how do I go about getting an extra without paying more than on DOS? I don't mess with single sellers nor businesses who increase the price. Yes, great marketing......They not only don't get me to order an extra subscription, they also lose subscribers DOS purchases for those who want an extra.

In all honesty though, I really don't care. Money saved for other things.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

OY! The face isn't bad per se, but just going by this pic, he looks a lot rougher than when last we saw him... LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, good timing on this one, Mattel! You took a vintage figure and specifically made this one DOS stock only, during the month of SDCC, to strong-arm those on the fence about 2014 to sub up or miss out. Both super manipulative and brilliant as far as guaranteeing sales go, ha ha!

No kidding. I have a sub and will always support the sub, but since they already did this with Fang Man to sell Filmation subs, I can't believe they're willing to be this transparently manipulative with their marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    He continued to lead the Masters of the Universe all the way to the Second Ultimate Battleground. ...Ok, that line is odd. It reads like CC is in command, instead of He-Man.

No mention of his super senses.
    Agreed, the super senses would have been a nice mention.

Also, regarding the "He continued to lead the Masters of the Universe all the way to the Second Ultimate Battleground," the wording does indicate Clamp Champ leads. It is peculiar, but who would have thought of Clamp Champ and Jitsu leading their perspective sides.

However, without He-Man and She-Ra present, Man-At-Arms (Ducan) always appeared to be the second-in-command. If Clamp Champ is the new Man-At-Arms, perhaps he assumed all the command authority as Randor's new right hand.

Widget
    Not happy. The price of all the Clamp Champs on ebay has just gone up. I am a filmation subscriber but could not afford the other sub. Was really looking forward to him too

Don't suppose anyone will have a spare they would be willing to send to the UK?
    Last edited by neileo; June 24, 2013 at 09:16pm. Reason: forgot stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Grouchor View Post
    Thrilled to get this figure - he was one of the last ones I remember having as a kid.

Might not be a popular statement but it is a fact. These no DOS figures are good business. Makes the secondary market bananas and sells subs.
    Same here. I was too young to remember opening a lot of the earlier figures but I remember getting Clamp Champ, Mosquitor, and Snout Spout and I played with those 3 SO much. Really amped for next month!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

No way. They wouldn't manipulate the system like that. They are just telling you he won't sell that well since he is the only African American vintage character, just like female characters don't sell well. (I wish they would just come out and say they are manipulating the market for sub sales instead of being cheeky about it.)
    The glossy skin really harkens back to the vintage figure... and I love how strong his color scheme looks... really the best silver paint we've seen yet! Not to always bring Netossa up, but man- she really would have looked great with these metallic blues and silvers just like her classic toy had. They're going to make a great couple nonetheless!
    Who are you? Cartman?

The glossy skin is a bit much when compared to some of the earlier figures. But, like zodak74 says, it also nods back to the vintage figure if you look at it that way.

Still a great figure. Love me some Clamp Champ!!! I'm going to rename him Paul Justice. They both have that awesome dark complexion. Very cool!

It should be the Fighting Foe Men and Karratti types rather than the Clamp Champ and Fang Mans that are made the exclusive. I think it leaves more money on the table more than it helps push the subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It should be the Fighting Foe Men and Karratti types rather than the Clamp Champ and Fang Mans that are made the exclusive. I think it leaves more money on the table more than it helps push the subs.
    I agree, but I suppose this helps some of us at least who are taking a BEATING on the FFM. It's seemingly IMPOSSIBLE not to take some type of loss of them.

There's people on Ebay that can't even unload them for $50ish and you've still got Ebay/Paypal fees on top of that! Shame...

Heroic Warrior
    Hah! You want to scare me, with no DOS for Clamp Champ, Mattel? You failed! Try again! Do it with Mantenna for example. That might work
    Last edited by Berserker79; June 24, 2013 at 09:42pm.

It's done to push folks into subbing. Notice how it says 'no DOS for 2013', so you know he will probably be offered via early access in 2014 Again an incentive to get a 2014 sub so you can get him possibly then?

In theory though I totally agree that the less popular items should get no DOS so it's easier for them to sell on the secondary market. Keeping current subbers happy should be a priority and if subbers want extras they are stuffed too! I would have bought an extra Fang Man...
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Making the Fighting Foe Men an "exclusive" would have helped them maintain some value. I think making popular characters exclusives just backfires. Mattel made Shadow Weaver, one of the most requested figures ever, an exclusive and subscriptions sales dropped drastically for her year compared to the previous year. It just leaves a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Hah! You want to scare me, with no DOS for Clamp Champ, Mattel? You failed! Try again! Do it with Mantenna for example. That might work
    Be careful what you wish for
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    The gloss doesn't have me worried. Looks like a great figure. I'm so pumped for july...too bad my wallet isn't lol.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    Then Scott will do it, "because the fans asked for it"...

And I'll get "nice" messages from my fellow .orgers : "Look, that's that *** **** ****************, who is responsible for Mantenna being priced for 200$ on ebay!"

Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    Mantenna has too many unique parts to be sub only, so he will definately get DOS stock for sure. I'm hoping Geldor gets no DOS too as he's another figure I don't need!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Mantenna has too many unique parts to be sub only, so he will definately get DOS stock for sure. I'm hoping Geldor gets no DOS too as he's another figure I don't need!
    I agree, Geldor could be another one...

Making the Fighting Foe Men an "exclusive" would have helped them maintain some value. I think making popular characters exclusives just backfires. Mattel made Shadow Weaver, one of the most requested figures ever, an exclusive and subscriptions sales dropped drastically for her year compared to the previous year. It just leaves a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths.
    Yeah, we really don't know if this strategy means more profit or less for Mattel. It would seem that it hasn't increased profits since subs go down each year. Personally the deciding factor in me dropping the line was the increased vigor with which Mattel threatened to kill DOS for certain figures and reduce DOS for others. I'd had enough. I know a lot of others have dropped out too, and others have refused to sub as a matter of principle. And I've seen quite a few names drop off these boards entirely in the last year. But I'm sure some people are subbing who wouldn't previously.

It leans towards desperation more than sound business strategy to me, but I don't know for sure.

While I'm a subber, I did want to pick up an extra for a custom. Kind of bummed about that.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    It sucks for international customers that there are no DOS Clamp Champs for those that wanted him. I already have mine pre-ordered through BBTS so it doesn't really bother me and but I do agree it makes people want to sub less rather than sub more.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torak View Post
    It's called marketing! This was 100% done on purpose. At least they are upfront about it unlike Fisto, who was also under made on purpose. Sadly those that really wanted him are screwed if they couldn't afford a sub.
    Yep. Not even Vintage characters are safe from lack of DOS sales. That will scare fans into buying subs.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Not even Vintage characters are safe from lack of DOS sales. That will scare fans into buying subs.
    Perhaps. . .
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela