Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Clamp Champ won't be available DOS

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks for the information. Looks like he super senses were just like Spider-Man's Spidey sense.

Super senses or not, thought he was boring as a kids and still do now. The figure looks a bit glossy. As for no DOS, i think its about time Mattel put their money where their mouth is and made a vintage figure no DOS. I hope it gets more people to sub.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxandar View Post
    Agreed, the super senses would have been a nice mention.

Also, regarding the "He continued to lead the Masters of the Universe all the way to the Second Ultimate Battleground," the wording does indicate Clamp Champ leads. It is peculiar, but who would have thought of Clamp Champ and Jitsu leading their perspective sides.

However, without He-Man and She-Ra present, Man-At-Arms (Ducan) always appeared to be the second-in-command. If Clamp Champ is the new Man-At-Arms, perhaps he assumed all the command authority as Randor's new right hand.
    I've been of the mind that MAA was the leader of the MOTU and He-Man was a wild card that helped when needed. Almost like a Wolverine with a much better attitude. However, once the secret identity goes away then He-Man is the leader full on. I just feel like He-Man would be a poor choice for leader when he was absent most of the time. Also, his role would always be to bring down the biggest threat while the others engage the lackeys.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Yep. Not even Vintage characters are safe from lack of DOS sales. That will scare fans into buying subs.
    Maybe for some, but in my case, I'm inspired to want to avoid giving Mattel a single dime ever again because of these continued stunts.

Why is Mattel seemingly doing everything it can to make collecting MOTU as joyless as possible?
    Wolfman Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman Jake View Post
    Why is Mattel seemingly doing everything it can to make collecting MOTU as joyless as possible?
    I don't see it that way. I've subbed for years now and I've never had a problem with DR or Matty. As a subber they made everything completely simple. It's only difficult if you don't want every figure, which the last few years I could understand. But with 2014 there are no more 3 packs and every figure is supposed to be a heavy hitter. Subbing up this year should be an easier decision. Unless you only want a couple of the figures, then why not just go the secondary market route? Sure the individual figure is more expensive, but it's cheaper than subbing up.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Raenius? Sounds like Webstor's real name....
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Imp / Vultak / Hunga
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Notice the change everyone. Another no DOS figure and not that much heat. Mattel has finally killed the cherry pickers off for the most part. I really do think their tactics have done more to hurt than help them. I have said it many times that I will never sub and this no DOS just means I don't buy that figure. All it does is lose money for them. But what do I know compared to a WORLD CLASS BUSINESS like Mattel.
    SUBSCRIBE OR DIE!!!: The death of a cherry picker. The continuing saga from the makers of MOTUC. The adventure begins in 2012.

UPDATE: THE CUTTING BLOCK!!!: The cherry pickers are now dead. These changes brought to you from the makers of MOTUC. The adventure begins in 2013.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    I don't see it that way. I've subbed for years now and I've never had a problem with DR or Matty. As a subber they made everything completely simple. It's only difficult if you don't want every figure, which the last few years I could understand. But with 2014 there are no more 3 packs and every figure is supposed to be a heavy hitter. Subbing up this year should be an easier decision. Unless you only want a couple of the figures, then why not just go the secondary market route? Sure the individual figure is more expensive, but it's cheaper than subbing up.
    I think Wolfman is voicing his frustrations as a cherry picker. In trying to gain more subscriptions, they keep on trying to push out fans who don't want everyone in MOTU. In making figures rare, this drives up prices on the secondary market, which also makes figures harder to get unless you're willing to pay high ass prices.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    I've got a subscription too, and have had one every year since it was first offered. It doesn't change the fact that this is a crappy thing for Mattel to pull, again. It's just another ugly mar on the whole MOTUC franchise, from the recurring delays, over-pricing, short production runs of popular characters, rampant and repeated quality control problems, horrible online store infrastructure and customer service, poor and amaturish storytelling through the on-package bios and mini-comics, and a general disregard and disdain for legitimate criticism. Yeah, no company is perfect, and fans of all sorts of collectible toys and figures have had issues with their hobby of choice, but few compare to the management of a brand like Mattel.
    Wolfman Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Torak View Post
    It's called marketing! This was 100% done on purpose. At least they are upfront about it unlike Fisto, who was also under made on purpose. Sadly those that really wanted him are screwed if they couldn't afford a sub.
    We have never heard anything "official" about the Fisto shortage....I am really starting to believe that a crate fell off the boat from China with Fistos and sank into the ocean..and nobody wants to admit it happened!

The DOS are not important, so it doesn't matter who they do or don't sell - it is about taking orders...do think toy companies call up WalMart or TRU and ask them if they want to buy the new toy line that is sitting in their warehouse ready to ship? NO. SDCC and TOY FAIR show off tons of toys that never get produced...because nobody ordered them in advance - THEY GET CANCELLED!

I think it is great that some people can get DOS figures...I was one of them for a few years...but I don't want this line to end...anytime soon...so I started buying a sub and will continue to take a bad NA He-Man or Karatti and sell it off...because I also get an Octavia, Spikor, Castapella, and someday a Tung Lashor!

This line exists now on subs...and needs SUBS to live...it is a pre-order.

DOS are killin the lien!
    Last edited by CanadaClassics; June 25, 2013 at 01:03am.

I've got a subscription too, and have had one every year since it was first offered. It doesn't change the fact that this is a crappy thing for Mattel to pull, again. It's just another ugly mar on the whole MOTUC franchise, from the recurring delays, over-pricing, short production runs of popular characters, rampant and repeated quality control problems, horrible online store infrastructure and customer service, poor and amaturish storytelling through the on-package bios and mini-comics, and a general disregard and disdain for legitimate criticism. Yeah, no company is perfect, and fans of all sorts of collectible toys and figures have had issues with their hobby of choice, but few compare to the mismanagement of a brand like Mattel.
    Oops. My bad...you aren't a cherry picker at all...

I'm not too crazy about the sub only idea because it squeezes out NEW CUSTOMERS from starting if they missed out during the subscription enrollment period. Hell, Mattel's whole model of MOTUC marketing only rewards old school fans who were here from the beginning. If you're new to the line around say...October or March, you're out of luck until sometime in the summer.

TG has the numbers and the sales data...maybe there aren't so many new fans who want to get in on the line.

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    In MYP, He-Man didn't have a rank. He was some really powerful guy who happened to show up whenever there was trouble. He was the MVP, but he wasn't the leader, presumably because he wasn't around (i.e., could be reached regularly, had a military record, etc.). Duncan was the official leader of the Masters. Now in Vintage canon, there was less of a military structure and He-Man was the leader.

I would have liked a mention of the super senses too.
    Exactly. And to be honest I like He-Man as a mysterious character that aides the Defenders of Eternia (Duncan being their leader) fighting the forces of evil.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

I've got a subscription too, and have had one every year since it was first offered. It doesn't change the fact that this is a crappy thing for Mattel to pull, again. It's just another ugly mar on the whole MOTUC franchise, from the recurring delays, over-pricing, short production runs of popular characters, rampant and repeated quality control problems, horrible online store infrastructure and customer service, poor and amaturish storytelling through the on-package bios and mini-comics, and a general disregard and disdain for legitimate criticism. Yeah, no company is perfect, and fans of all sorts of collectible toys and figures have had issues with their hobby of choice, but few compare to the mismanagement of a brand like Mattel.
    Agreed. I have subbed as well only because I couldn't stand trying to secure my figures through Day of sales, especially as the line became more popular. Subbing was easy for me and I don't really care about some of the "dogs" of the line like FFM, Karatti, or Mighty Spector.
    However, I completely agree that to limit Clamp Champ during the month that you are trying to get people to sub is a **** move. Just make the figures, then sell them honestly.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    The larger point that Mattel and Scott fail to understand is that intentionally making something rare doesn't drive collectors. They have it backwards. Rare figures are created by the fans flocking to something in larger numbers than anticipated. These "shorting" tactics have been, are, and will kill the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    Exactly. And to be honest I like He-Man as a mysterious character that aides the Defenders of Eternia (Duncan being their leader) fighting the forces of evil.
    Too bad Duncan is no longer the leader, because he turned into a Snakeman permanently (and then became human again as he died), so get ready to love Clamp-Champ as the new royal Man-At-Arms and defacto leader of the Masters of the Universe! Wait, you don't have a subscription? Well this vintage character who is now more important than ever for...fatally impaling Duncan with a non-leathal capture device...can be yours for the price of whatever the eBay scalper of your choice demands! Price too high? Nay, I say! Don't miss out on your chance to have a character so powerful he defies any and all sloppy narrative oversights and contradictions!
    Wolfman Jake

Guys, when we're criticizing Clamp Champ, we need to be a little careful. I mean, did we give the same "He's bland" criticisms to the bland white guys? Because it's not like Eternia is a very racially-inclusive place as a whole, so it's kind of good to have a few more non-white people on the heroic side.

Anyway, so that's 1/3 of the first half of the year that has no Day Of Sale...
    Last edited by Ridureyu; June 25, 2013 at 01:08am.

Yeah, some final shots of the figure! Had to keep going back to the prototype to see the details.

Anyway, still looking good! Very much looking forward to him. 'Course I'm crazy excited for NA He-Man, but I'd be lying if I said Clamp Champ wasn't a big one on my list as well. I never had 'em as a kid, but his performance in the mini-comic had impressed me back then and I always wanted the figure. He looks fantastic so far and I can't wait! This is one heck of a dynamite month.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Guys, when we're criticizing Clamp Champ, we need to be a little careful. I mean, did we give the same "He's bland" criticisms to the bland white guys? Because it's not like Eternia is a very racially-inclusive place as a whole, so it's kind of good to have a few more non-white people on the heroic side.
    I really don't think people talking about Clamp Champ not being the most exciting character ever has anything to do with race, certainly for most people. It's not like he's kind of boring looking because he's not white. Goodness, if anything that'd be way MORE boring - we've got plenty of white guys in the line.

It's because he re-used Fisto armor and otherwise was on a pretty standard buck in the vintage line. And, he didn't get much exposure in media to build much of a character up. Now, I think the Classics figure has done wonders for him - he has unique armor, another weapon, a cool back pack and his Clamp weapon looks great. And it retains one of things I liked most about him - the silver and blue color scheme. So I'm happy to have him in the collection. It's just hard to muster quite as much excitement for him because he was never a character I had a lot of attachment to.

I suspect, however, that he'll be one of those figures that's more fun in hand than in pictures.

Icer should be coming this month as well. Surprised he wasn't revealed today.
    Wants Crita Veena Angella Imp Mermista Peekablue Tung Lashor Evil Seed Lizard Man Prahvus Saurod Gwildor Ninjor Ssquueeze Sagitar Calix Tuskador Perfuma Spinnerella Dragstor Vultak Dylamug Masque Sebrian Dree Elle Montork Miro Blast Attack Multi-Bot Granita Hawke Hunga Kittrina Quakke Butthead Hoove Darius Spinwit Nocturna Kayo Lizzor Artilla Vizar Staghorn Rotar Twistoid Sunder Drissi Caz

I just think that when people start talking about how much they really hate one of two or three black guys in the line, it starts approaching uncomfortable territory.

Especially because nobody liked Dekker, either...

I just think that when people start talking about how much they really hate one of two or three black guys in the line, it starts approaching uncomfortable territory.

What? Who didn't like Dekker? Was I just not around for the complain-fest? BAH. Nothin' not to love about a cranky old butt kicker with an eyepatch. I mean, save for the restriction in the legs, but otherwise he's a nice figure.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.

Look dude, don't start this kind of thing because it gets ugly real fast. Hold on to your cards.
    SUBSCRIBE OR DIE!!!: The death of a cherry picker. The continuing saga from the makers of MOTUC. The adventure begins in 2012.

UPDATE: THE CUTTING BLOCK!!!: The cherry pickers are now dead. These changes brought to you from the makers of MOTUC. The adventure begins in 2013.

I think that could happen if their remarks are taken out of context. I don't think it's because they were black.

Clamp Champ and Netossa came in at the end of their lines (in 1987), missing some chances for widespread characterizations that other characters have gotten years earlier.

Zodak (ZoBLACK as some fans refer to him) might be the most liked brother in MOTU. Although he's 200X, he is usually more liked than his original counterpart because more was done with him with the anti-hero angle of wanting revenge against Hsss for eating his brother.

Dekker is a one-shot character who was in one of the weakest MYP episodes (which did him no favors).