Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hollywood Reporter: Mattel Fights "He-Man" Comic Book Author Over Franchise Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    Tallstar, I simply cant wait until you change that avatar. It is creepin me out!
    Me too! I'm curious Tallstar, what movie is that image from?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    Tallstar, I simply cant wait until you change that avatar. It is creepin me out!
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Me too! I'm curious Tallstar, what movie is that image from?
    It's from Insidious. (Insidious 2 coming in Sept., btw)

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    All for artists getting proper credits, but boo hoo Mr. Glut. You took the job as a "gun for hire" and were paid for what you did and with that, a guy hired to give a quick background and think up some names isn't exactly an artist.

This guy insults MOTU fans and basically calls the entire thing a bunch of crap, but now with all the attention being paid to MOTU (POP figures, classics line, etc.) he wants a piece of the action.

As others have said he knows that a movie may be on the horizon, so he wants in. I hope that old interview heavy-eternium posted comes back and bites him on the.....well, you know.

Heroic Warrior
    Remember that my work was simply done as a "work for hire." I did it fast and turned it in. Not much thought or time went into any of it. When my part was over I moved on to other projects not related to Masters of the Universe.

Yeah... when I read that interview it was a real heartbreaker. Personally I always did prefer the prefilmation story better... but man...

To hear someone who created something you love, just bash it like it's of zero consequence... that just sucked.

To hear him come out of the woodwork after 30 years is kinda hilarious though... I can't imagine this will ever go anywhere. And frankly, the MOTU empire is still only a fraction of what it was in the 80's. If he wanted his money he should have made a bid back then!!! Now?? with the line drying up and the movie in production limbo??

Heroic Warrior
    i say mattel should just toss him a few million $, tell the world he invented barbie and new adventures , and maybe a 2014 sub for club eternia he waited 30 years for the brand to become more successful ? im gonna sue cause i have to wait 8 years to get all of the vintage classics motu figures ,

Heroic Warrior
    I've met Don and conversed with him in Email in the past. He was always very nice and cordial. He's done a long string of "geek"-related things that give him a good bit of cred in the field; the Star Wars novelizations, writing issues of Captain America and other high-profile comics, writing and directing Dinosaur Valley Girls and other cheesy-but-fun b-movies and writing episodes of a lot of revered cartoon shows (Go-Bots, X-Men, Transformers, GI Joe, etc). His entire career was born out of his amateur films in the 1960s utilizing stop-motion dinosaurs and cosplay superhero "fan movies" getting him noticed by Famous Monsters of Filmland.

All that said, no, I don't understand why he's pursuing this beyond the reasons already suspected here.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Heroic Warrior
    i am sueing he man org !!! cause this thread has nothing to do with the motuc line, but hasnt been moved banned and warned instantly , wish i could make threads about whatever i want in the most popular section without the men in the black sunglasses knocking on my door

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    It's from Insidious. (Insidious 2 coming in Sept., btw)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr...5zoco1_500.gif
    Omword thank you lord!
    I was thinking it was you lmao!!!!
    I wasnt going to say anything...buuuuuut
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Quote Originally Posted by ninjor 9 View Post
    i am sueing he man org !!!
    If you win, I guess you'll get all my debt.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yeah... when I read that interview it was a real heartbreaker.
    I find stories like this are always a bummer. It happening with MOTU is more of a drag. It's times like this that I wish I could time-warp back to being a kid where I knew nothing about who did what on the brand and I just enjoyed the toys and cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    As others have said he knows that a movie may be on the horizon, so he wants in. I hope that old interview heavy-eternium posted comes back and bites him on the.....well, you know.
    Mattel is actually using the interview as Exhibit A in the lawsuit.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/149940776/He-Man
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

This seems weirdly proactive on Mattel's part.

When I looked at the court filing, I didn't expect to see them as the Plaintiff and yet they are. I cannot seem to find a claim filed where Mr. Glut is legally asserting any ownership of the franchise. Perhaps it was done via lawyer email between his attorney and Mattel. Yeah, I guess it had to be since there is an "...explicit threat of litigation."

However, Mattel is only "alleging" that he now contends to be an owner of the property/comics/whatever. With all the other exhibits included in the filing, it is surprising the "explicit threat of litigation" wasn't included or identified as an exhibit as well.

Naming 1-10 Johns & Janes Doe just to cover any potential future cases seems weird too.

Mattel's legal fees will actually add to the asset value of the MOTU copyright since current GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) allows companies to capitalize the cost(s) of defending a copyright into the value of an asset.

This will probably be settled out of court even though Mattel is requesting a jury trial, but it is very interesting to dissect.

*edit- I didn't realize he filed a copyright for "The Fighting Foe-Men" but there it is. Also, not included with the exhibits but in one the paragraphs in the complaint.*
    http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwe...27130512&SID=1
    Last edited by slackrguy; June 28, 2013 at 01:28am.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

My question is, where's Roger Sweet in all of this... seeking his pound of flesh? Yeah, as others have said, that previous interview where Don all but poo-pooed his involvement as nothing more than a perfunctory suggestion of names (even including his own in-jokey references to his ex-wife and such) pretty much says it all. And if he was obligated under contract to a company doing work-for-hire for Mattel, doesn't that pretty much guarantee that any work he did for the companies that Mattel contracted with is work-for-hire only and therefore his 'creatorship' null and void? I know the creator of Ghost Rider has been in continual litigation over the rights to that character with Marvel, but he at least worked for Marvel directly when he created that character and was- one assumes- much more passionately involved in his soup to nuts details than Don appears to have been with MOTU.

But oh well. Fun to discuss, but I say leave this to the litigators.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    Well, since he wrote the first published fiction of the brand (He-Man and the Powersword) Came up with the name and concept of Eternia (an eternal realm of magic and science) and claims to have had the idea to create a female character and NAMED her Teela, There could be some problems!
    This is exactly the info I was looking for actually, and allows me to finish my doom prophesying. If he's taken seriously like Penders, we could loose elements like the Power Sword, Eternia and Teela - scary.

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    THis is crazy to read about!

do you think it has something to do with the fighting foe men?

because i was just reading the legal papers, and it mentions them.

personally i am a huge MOTU and had never heard about them, until recently. so that being said, is it fair to say MAYBE he randomly heard they were using that title NOW and he is like, Ok, thats a bunch of crap. dude, you guys got EVERYTHING and didnt use my original title of the group, and NOW YOU are using THAT TOO??!?!?! jsut curious.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    This seems weirdly proactive on Mattel's part.

When I looked at the court filing, I didn't expect to see them as the Plaintiff and yet they are. I cannot seem to find a claim filed where Mr. Glut is legally asserting any ownership of the franchise. Perhaps it was done via lawyer email between his attorney and Mattel. Yeah, I guess it had to be since there is an "...explicit threat of litigation."

However, Mattel is only "alleging" that he now contends to be an owner of the property/comics/whatever. With all the other exhibits included in the filing, it is surprising the "explicit threat of litigation" wasn't included or identified as an exhibit as well.

Naming 1-10 Johns & Janes Doe just to cover any potential future cases seems weird too.

Mattel's legal fees will actually add to the asset value of the MOTU copyright since current GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) allows companies to capitalize the cost(s) of defending a copyright into the value of an asset.

This will probably be settled out of court even though Mattel is requesting a jury trial, but it is very interesting to dissect.

*edit- I didn't realize he filed a copyright for "The Fighting Foe-Men" but there it is. Also, not included with the exhibits but in one the paragraphs in the complaint.*
    http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwe...27130512&SID=1
    I think "Mattel" is trying to squash any potential competition that could usurp their hold over the current MOTU storyline. We've seen it before...remember Toyfare?

Besides...what would Glut do with the property NOW? Would we get more Pre-Filmation stories?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think "Mattel" is trying to squash any potential competition that could usurp their hold over the current MOTU storyline. We've seen it before...remember Toyfare?

Besides...what would Glut do with the property NOW? Would we get more Pre-Filmation stories?
    I am actually not much of a MOTU hstory buff to know much about the Toyfare reference. Well, not with confidence.

I'm not sure what Glut would do now, or the 1-10 currently unknown mystery people also named as defendants. He ain't the only one they're going after it seems. Just sayin'.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Heroic Warrior
    i am sueing he man org !!! cause this thread has nothing to do with the motuc line, but hasnt been moved banned and warned instantly , wish i could make threads about whatever i want in the most popular section without the men in the black sunglasses knocking on my door
    Has everything to do with the MOTUC line, actually. Doesn't have anything to do with vintage or 200x, those are long over and done with. This can only affect the current line.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by madison carter View Post
    has everything to do with the motuc line, actually. Doesn't have anything to do with vintage or 200x, those are long over and done with. This can only affect the current line.
    ( w o w )!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it was only a joke
    Last edited by ninjor 9; June 29, 2013 at 07:31pm.

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    That's OK. Don't be too hard on yourself. Joe Piscopo has bad days too.
    Last edited by Captain Atkin; June 30, 2013 at 01:17pm.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

The man is trying to get his hands in the money pie now that He-Man is coming back. It took him 30 years to say something? Through the 80s when He-Man was HUGE, he said nothing? The 90s remake? The 20th anniversary commemorative line? The new 2002 line and series? The Classics line that's been running since 2008? The 30th anniversary merchandise last year? Through all this he's said NOTHING. In fact, in past interviews he HAS admitted that it was "just another job" and he doesn't really care for/about He-Man. Sure buddy.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Heroic Warrior
    Even if he does have a legitimate claim - as he may have, given the stated circumstances - then the case is almost certainly going to go to an out of court settlement; I really don't see it being likely to change anything much, frankly.

If his claim holds in way way, then Mattel will simply pay him off and buy-out any residual IP he may be adjudged to own. That's how these things generally work in the world of publishing, anyway - and this professed claim is analogous in many ways. The fact that Mattel have cited his claim to judgement and cast him as defendant, not plaintiff, suggests this outcome even more - though they may equally be wishing to use superior wealth (and thus legal leverage) to force the issue.

But it is not at all likely that Glut will successfully uphold ownership title to this property.

Heroic Warrior
    There always seems to be two or three overblown tantrums per thread around here, I just took it to be another one.

Heroic Warrior
    So what happens in thirty years' time when Toyguru has been ousted by Mattel and he claims creative rights and copyright to The Mighty Spector?

In all seriousness, Donald Glut made an important contribution to the MOTU. He has no chance of winning, but it would be nice if his work was properly acknowledged. The same goes for Gary Cohn who wrote the second series of minicomics (which, in my opinion, were better than Glut's).

We seem to be good at acknowledging the MOTU artists, but the writers seem to get forgotten.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Even if he does have a legitimate claim - as he may have, given the stated circumstances - then the case is almost certainly going to go to an out of court settlement; I really don't see it being likely to change anything much, frankly.

If his claim holds in way way, then Mattel will simply pay him off and buy-out any residual IP he may be adjudged to own. That's how these things generally work in the world of publishing, anyway - and this professed claim is analogous in many ways. The fact that Mattel have cited his claim to judgement and cast him as defendant, not plaintiff, suggests this outcome even more - though they may equally be wishing to use superior wealth (and thus legal leverage) to force the issue.

But it is not at all likely that Glut will successfully uphold ownership title to this property.
    If this winds up costing Mattel money, there go all the paint apps and accessories. I kid but...

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    If you win, I guess you'll get all my debt.

I find stories like this are always a bummer. It happening with MOTU is more of a drag. It's times like this that I wish I could time-warp back to being a kid where I knew nothing about who did what on the brand and I just enjoyed the toys and cartoons.
    I'm with you on that Val. I'd also like to forget about all the business aspects of the line too. I really resent that MOTU is just a profit center at the end of the day to the people who own it. MOTU meant something to some of the creatives involved, I'm sure. Then you hear what Glut says. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

I don't think I'd like it any less than what we're getting from DC.