Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Barger's MOTU Gallery

Ryan Barger's MOTU Gallery

Hello again all!

Inspired by some overwhelmingly positive fan response to my He-Man fan art both here and on Facebook, I've decided to whittle away some more hours illustrating my own interpretations of other characters from Masters of the Universe. Like the characters featured in my poster "Defender of Grayskull", these redesigns take my favorite childhood characters and modernize them for fans who enjoy a little more realism, grit and danger in their MOTU (while hopefully still retaining the core iconic elements that have made them so enduring).

I'm always open to suggestions and comments, so feel free to fire at will! I hope to add a new character to this gallery every few days if time and energy permit.

Today, I'm beginning with the Big Bad himself, Skeletor. Though he was featured in "Defender of Grayskull," very little of his new design was actually on display so this felt like unfinished business. I hope you enjoy!

Skeletor Art.jpg

Ryan Barger
    www.ryanbarger.net
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/ryan-barger.html
    Last edited by RyanBarger; February 2, 2016 at 01:38am. Reason: Updated Skeletor's Art

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanBarger View Post
    Hello again all!

Inspired by some overwhelmingly positive fan response to my He-Man fan art both here and on Facebook, I've decided to whittle away some more hours illustrating my own interpretations of other characters from Masters of the Universe. Like the characters featured in my poster "Defender of Grayskull", these redesigns take my favorite childhood characters and modernize them for fans who enjoy a little more realism, grit and danger in their MOTU (while hopefully still retaining the core iconic elements that have made them so enduring).

I'm always open to suggestions and comments, so feel free to fire at will! I hope to add a new character to this gallery every few days if time and energy permit.

Today, I'm beginning with the Big Bad himself, Skeletor. Though he was featured in "Defender of Grayskull," very little of his new design was actually on display so this felt like unfinished business. I hope you enjoy!

Attachment 106733

Ryan Barger
    www.ryanbarger.net
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/ryan-barger.html
    A M A Z I N G!!!

Ryan is fantastic how you combine the Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery elements with the Sci/Fi ones. The technological device that connects the Staff with Skeletor is a brilliant nod.

And you have done an incredible mix from various versions of Skelly. The harness looks 200X influenced, the shettered old cape is more DC looking, the skull and the feet from the Vintage toy, and the technological devices are resembling those that the 87's movie Skelly had in his outfit!

Once again well done!

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    A M A Z I N G!!!

Ryan is fantastic how you combine the Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery elements with the Sci/Fi ones. The technological device that connects the Staff with Skeletor is a brilliant nod.

And you have done an incredible mix from various versions of Skelly. The harness looks 200X influenced, the shettered old cape is more DC looking, the skull and the feet from the Vintage toy, and the technological devices are resembling those that the 87's movie Skelly had in his outfit!

Once again well done!
    Thanks again Granamyr!

Skeletor is arguably the one character you really don't play around with too much... his prior incarnations are damn near perfect. Good call on the various influences!

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks again Granamyr!

Skeletor is arguably the one character you really don't play around with too much... his prior incarnations are damn near perfect. Good call on the various influences!
    You are very welcome Ryan! You have done an outstanding work! May i ask who is next? I would love to see your take on Mer-Man, since he is the only core member, from Skelly's crew that did not appear in the "Defender of Grayskull"! I' m sure that you will recreate an amazing Ocean Warlord, through your artwork!

You are very welcome Ryan! You have done an outstanding work! May i ask who is next? I would love to see your take on Mer-Man, since he is the only core member, from Skelly's crew that did not appear in the "Defender of Grayskull"! I' m sure that you will recreate an amazing Ocean Warlord, through your artwork!
    At the moment I'm working on a member of team He-Man (since I've stacked heavily on the villain side, it seemed fitting to give the barbarian some company next). I'm also going to be setting up a vote on Facebook for people to have a say in who I tinker with next... but I'd like to do a different one for the folks here also. Anyone know a good way to set that up?

Heroic Warrior
    At the moment I'm working on a member of team He-Man (since I've stacked heavily on the villain side, it seemed fitting to give the barbarian some company next). I'm also going to be setting up a vote on Facebook for people to have a say in who I tinker with next... but I'd like to do a different one for the folks here also. Anyone know a good way to set that up?
    Whoever is the next one that you will draw, i can't wait for it!!!

For your question, i believe that the moderators or Val, would be more suitable to give you the answer, in order to organize it in the proper way.

At any case it will be worth it! This is amazing stuff!!!

Last edited by granamyr80; January 22, 2016 at 07:05pm.

Whoever is the next one that you will draw, i can't wait for it!!!

For your question, i believe that the moderators or Val, would be more suitable to give you the answer, in order to organize it in the proper way.

At any case it will be worth it! This is amazing stuff!!!
    We'll sort something out for sure! Could be as easy as just taking a poll manually. Once my next sketch is posted, I'll take a head count on preferences.

Thanks!
    Last edited by RyanBarger; January 22, 2016 at 10:25pm. Reason: I sorted out the file question myself!

Heroic Warrior
    We'll sort something out for sure! Could be as easy as just taking a poll manually. Once my next sketch is posted, I'll take a head count on preferences.

Thanks!
    I was just going to tell you how to post the images at full size, but i saw that you already find out it! If you like, you can do the same on the thread with the Defender of Grayskull.

I was just going to tell you how to post the images at full size, but i saw that you already find out it! If you like, you can do the same on the thread with the Defender of Grayskull.
    Genius notion! I shall do that very thing.

EPIC!! I will be looking fwd to this thread & your designs! I hope to see Teela & Zodac!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 5.30.16!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

To date I've done a whole gaggle of villains but only a couple of heroes... so, today they're getting some back up! What are He-Man and the Sorceress without...

Man-At-Arms Art.jpg
    Last edited by RyanBarger; January 25, 2016 at 08:02pm. Reason: Slight change to original image

Heroic Warrior
    To date I've done a whole gaggle of villains but only a couple of heroes... so, today they're getting some back up! What are He-Man and the Sorceress without...

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...small_full.jpg

Attachment 106768
    Oh God!!!!! That's awesomely badass Man At Arms!!!! Ryan you perfectly nailed the "Battle-Hardened Veteran and old general" appearance of the character. The battle scars testimony Duncan's long hard life as a warrior and a soldier, and also you prefectly touch the "Tech Guy" aspect of which is know for! Also very nice nod to the DC's Zoar symbol on his belt, almost like a religious artifact! Once again you have created another incredible MOTU artistic masterpiece again! More please!

Oh God!!!!! That's awesomely badass Man At Arms!!!! Ryan you perfectly nailed the "Battle-Hardened Veteran and old general" appearance of the character. The battle scars testimony Duncan's long hard life as a warrior and a soldier, and also you prefectly touch the "Tech Guy" aspect of which is know for! Also very nice nod to the DC's Zoar symbol on his belt, almost like a religious artifact! Once again you have created another incredible MOTU artistic masterpiece again! More please!
    Good eye as usual sir. I'll be curious to see if anyone finds and identifies the other two little easter eggs I threw on his armor as military emblems/symbols.

Heroic Warrior
    Good eye as usual sir. I'll be curious to see if anyone finds and identifies the other two little easter eggs I threw on his armor as military emblems/symbols.
    I see something that resembles an "A" on his helmet. Could this be one of them?

And another symbol on his shoulder armor. But i could be wrong about this one.

I really dig MAA, that would again be a great look for a movie version

I see something that resembles an "A" on his helmet. Could this be one of them?

And another symbol on his shoulder armor. But i could be wrong about this one.
    That's them! It's not an "A", though I can see why you'd think so. Any guesses where those insignia are from? I felt that a war vet like Man-At-Arms should have various iconography painted on his armor, like nose art on an airplane or pilot's helmet. But it was a little tough finding a good source of inspiration for them. They're meant to be subtle, so no worries if they don't pop out.

Heroic Warrior
    That's them! It's not an "A", though I can see why you'd think so. Any guesses where those insignia are from? I felt that a war vet like Man-At-Arms should have various iconography painted on his armor, like nose art on an airplane or pilot's helmet. But it was a little tough finding a good source of inspiration for them. They're meant to be subtle, so no worries if they don't pop out.
    They could be symbols which show Duncan's rank in the Eternian army. That's my guess at least. But so far can't make the exact connection.

They could be symbols which show Duncan's rank in the Eternian army. That's my guess at least. But so far can't make the exact connection.
    I like to imagine they represent something along those lines, but actually both of those emblems are from MOTU Vehicle toys that Man-At-Arms was associated with.

Heroic Warrior
    I like to imagine they represent something along those lines, but actually both of those emblems are from MOTU Vehicle toys that Man-At-Arms was associated with.
    Ah i see now! Well that's an amazing and very intelligent addition! Really love it!

Another awesome piece! Those who haven't checked this thread yet are missing out! Great weight on this version of MAA, very rugged, grizzled, and armored!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 5.30.16!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar
    Simply incredible. Your Defender of Grayskull especially is an inspiration. It's the only word I can think of for it. Truly awesome.
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

That's really awesome.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Sweet lord! This is something else! A grittier, darker and positively more awesome Masters of the Universe!
    "A true hero fights for justice and loves kindness." - He-Man, Buzz-Off's Pride, 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    Another awesome piece! Those who haven't checked this thread yet are missing out! Great weight on this version of MAA, very rugged, grizzled, and armored!
    Thanks again Jafari! I'm sure folks will trickle in, the thread's not going away any time soon . Glad you appreciated my rendition of Duncan... he's another one of the classics who didn't need much in the way of an overhaul, I just added a lot of surface detail and some insignia. I always imagined him as an old Sherman tank that walks, covered in grime and dings and scratches from too many wars to count.

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandorFacepalm View Post
    Simply incredible. Your Defender of Grayskull especially is an inspiration. It's the only word I can think of for it. Truly awesome.
    High praise, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Roye View Post
    Sweet lord! This is something else! A grittier, darker and positively more awesome Masters of the Universe!

Thanks Roye. I always felt there was no good reason that MOTU couldn't grow up a bit along with its most dedicated fans---it sort of belongs to our generation anyway, right? Plus there's nothing saying that the added grime, danger and realism has to suffocate what made that setting so great in the first place---the wonder, the fantasy and the heroism. Characters like He-Man, Teela and Duncan seem all the more noble and heroic if they're doing battle with truly scary villains and refusing to sink to their level.

Eternia's most feared bounty hunter and my personal favorite MOTU character...

Tri-Klops Art.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    Ryan, please allow me to congratulate you once more!

This is my favorite and the best picture of Tri-Klops that i' ve seen. And the best design so far!

Again an incredible mix of Trike's 200X and Classic version! Of course the combination of the Fantasy and Sci/Fi is prefectly balanced! Love the other small additions as well, like the "gladiatorial armor" in the one arm. And of course the scars are nice details on a guy who had a very hard life as the ultimate bounty hunter, which already is a very "tough profession"!

Thanks Ryan for making Trike so awesome, badass and a really looking lethal opponent! By the way he is my favorite Evil Warrior as well!

Ryan please don't stop!!!
    Last edited by granamyr80; January 27, 2016 at 09:42pm.