Thread: Club NA 04 "Attack on Onnor"

Club NA 04 "Attack on Onnor"

Come on fans, don't fail me! Episode 4 time!
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Master of New Adventures!
    Someone play Taps.

- First and foremost: "But we don't just go down there, and go 'BRAAABLHGBALGH!'....okay? We've got to do this the right way!" Best line in the series yet. Five stars! High fives! I'll repeat myself from the first episode: I LOVE Skeletor's voice, his mannerisms, and how he plays the mutants. He had some great scenes in this one.

- Anyway, back to the start: I love the tactics! Flogg wanting things his way, Skeletor trying his darndest to convince him to make a dang plan. Poor Flogg, though! I mean, there seems to be indications that he might not be a completely horrible mutant. Skeletor; he's nuts! The man has gone crazy somewhere between the original show and now, but Flogg doesn't seem to be doing things for the sake of making people miserable.

- Grot was cool! I like how this giant muscleman is the farmer. He don't take no crap, either.

- The whole battle with the Terror Claw was neat, and it was awesome to see He-Man get a chance to show that he's still super strong. Friggin' broke that claw with his bare hands! Then Grot comes and tips it over - NICE, BRO. A bond is created!

- Seems like Werban could have been used in the same way without the mind control, at least, based on his characterization in previous episodes. BUT...that might have been a little too political for a kid's show, back then. Still, it's a neat idea and added a cool chase at the end, with Skeletor and He-Man trying to catch up with him.

- MAN those cacti were basically fire hydrants!

- I like how Skeletor summons the monster, but is that what "drained" his staff? Seems like getting it wet did it, maybe? I don't get why he ran off there, other than the standard reason of being no match for He-Man. He just gets wet and is like "OH...hey...I'll, uh, fight you later when my staff is recharged! Let me just go find a socket..."

- Ah well, beyond the anti-climactic fight (probably cut short for time, anyway) I really liked the desert chase!

- Thanks for the Goo, scientists. Thanks for the goo. At least they can make stuff while simultaneously getting caught in the things they make.

Overall I really enjoyed this one! My favorite yet, I think. Interesting and varied scenes, Skeletor had lots of fun things to say, and I liked the plot all around.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Finally got to this one. No need to play taps yet!

Episode was ok to me. Geppie's Goo should have been cool looking, like a neon green with some other visuals thrown in. I'm a color guy, so I like vibrant over the top stuff. New Adventures tends to be more tame and organic. Part of the reason it did not appeal to me as a kid, probably.

It was nice to see Hoove and Karatti in action. However, I much prefer the MOTUC Predator look of Karatti than the "karate" Eastern sounding guy of the cartoon.

New Adventures Skeletor is so different than the 80's Skeletor. I just wish he had a different name, as he's really a different type of villain in this cartoon and deserves his own identity. He's more cunning and more of an underdog type of enemy. I like the villain, just not posing as Skeletor.

Werban should be a more interesting character, both personality and image wise. Hope he is developed further.

I didn't get the unnecessary laughter between Grot and He-Man. #awkward

The lesson at the end with Grot was the best of the ones so far. Don't try to take one trip with three million groceries. I've learned that lesson, but still don't always abide by it.

Like the legendary Phoenix, the review thread rises from its own ashes!!! My heart races! Whether positive reviews or well thought out slams, I say "Fly, fly, fly!!!"

Note The All American: I get your point on Skeletor. But like all individuals, villains can grow and evolve and change. Heck, sometimes they even end up being good guys -- Darth Vader and Apollo Creed, to name two.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 6, 2014 at 02:11pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Like the legendary Phoenix, the review thread rises from its own ashes!!! My heart races! Whether positive reviews or well thought out slams, I say "Fly, fly, fly!!!"

Note The All American: I get your point on Skeletor. But like all individuals, villains can grow and evolve and change. Heck, sometimes they even end up being good guys -- Darth Vader and Apollo Creed, to name two.
    I don't think Apollo was ever a villain, he was just a pompous opponent who no longer became an adversary. The audience and Rocky was able to see he was a good guy once you got to know him. Darth was a villain, but he turned on the Emperor when his son was being tortured and went back to the good. Both Darth and Apollo cared for things beyond just themselves.

Skeletor is a different animal. He is the epitome of selfishness, more than any 80's villain I can think of (Cobra Commander cares about Cobra, Hordak cares about the Horde, Megatron cares about the Decepticons). All Skeletor cares about is obtaining more power for himself. Both Skeletors do share this trait. Skeletor also has no allegiance outside of himself (minus the 80's Christmas Special, but that's a different discussion). Apollo and Darth do have allegiance to their family and their nation.

What makes these two Skeletors different to me is the way they go about things. NA Skeletor is cunning. He gets buy in from others. He's a sweet talker. He feigns that he cares about others.

The Skeletor of the 80's and all other eras does not feign to like others. He is a grumpy "do it my way or the highway" kind of guy. I know some folks like that, and I don't think even a millenia would they change. That kind of attitude, I hate to say, is a stopping point for those that want to be like that. The traditional Skeletor is inflexible. The NA one is flexible. I'd have an easier time seeing the NA one morph into the traditional one instead of the way it's presented.

On a side note, I wanted to give NA a shot, so this thread/challenge to watch each episode is cool. Pointing out the good and the bad. I think most of the bad comes from comparing New Adventures to other Masters of the Universe incarnations. In and of itself, NA is not a bad series. I will only say the Scientists (designs and voices) are consistenly cringe worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    What makes these two Skeletors different to me is the way they go about things. NA Skeletor is cunning. He gets buy in from others. He's a sweet talker. He feigns that he cares about others.

The Skeletor of the 80's and all other eras does not feign to like others. He is a grumpy "do it my way or the highway" kind of guy. I know some folks like that, and I don't think even a millenia would they change. That kind of attitude, I hate to say, is a stopping point for those that want to be like that. The traditional Skeletor is inflexible. The NA one is flexible. I'd have an easier time seeing the NA one morph into the traditional one instead of the way it's presented.
    I guess it all depends on what you see first, and how much you're willing to put into it. After the NA minicomics and seeing that Skeletor has tubes going in and out of him - ESPECIALLY right into the back of his head - I assumed he would lose his mind, in certain ways. I never saw the show when I was a kid, but I used NA Skeletor as a new kinda Skeletor that was slightly out of his mind.

Now, granted, he doesn't have all the mechanics sticking out of him in the show, and that whole idea was dropped, but somehow it still works for me. I think I would have been open to it, given what his figure looked like.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I guess it all depends on what you see first, and how much you're willing to put into it. After the NA minicomics and seeing that Skeletor has tubes going in and out of him - ESPECIALLY right into the back of his head - I assumed he would lose his mind, in certain ways. I never saw the show when I was a kid, but I used NA Skeletor as a new kinda Skeletor that was slightly out of his mind.

Now, granted, he doesn't have all the mechanics sticking out of him in the show, and that whole idea was dropped, but somehow it still works for me. I think I would have been open to it, given what his figure looked like.
    I was way too entrenched into the original line and cartoon, so New Adventures was such a departure. Skeletor with eyeballs, a different voice, and no old minions like Beast Man, blasphemy! He-Man with a ponytail, different voice, and no Eternia, blasphemy! Re-runs of the Filmation series (both He-Man and She-Ra) were still pretty heavy in the late 80's, so to go from a re-run to this in a matter of a few months/weeks, it was pretty crushing. And my sister and I had a huge vintage collection, so the new size and scale was very off-putting. Skeletor with tubes in his head didn't sound like the Skeletor I knew and loved. That Skeletor, as well as much of the original line, was very natural. New Adventures is very sci-fi.

We're not far off in age, but you were the target audience for the New Adventures toys and cartoon. No problem with that. I'm really glad for those that liked this series back in the day. I'm just trying to open my own eyes and give it a second chance, trying to avoid this:
    5554.jpg

I was way too entrenched into the original line and cartoon, so New Adventures was such a departure. Skeletor with eyeballs, a different voice, and no old minions like Beast Man, blasphemy! He-Man with a ponytail, different voice, and no Eternia, blasphemy! Re-runs of the Filmation series (both He-Man and She-Ra) were still pretty heavy in the late 80's, so to go from a re-run to this in a matter of a few months/weeks, it was pretty crushing. And my sister and I had a huge vintage collection, so the new size and scale was very off-putting. Skeletor with tubes in his head didn't sound like the Skeletor I knew and loved. That Skeletor, as well as much of the original line, was very natural. New Adventures is very sci-fi.

We're not far off in age, but you were the target audience for the New Adventures toys and cartoon. No problem with that. I'm really glad for those that liked this series back in the day. I'm just trying to open my own eyes and give it a second chance, trying to avoid this:
    5554.jpg
    Oh yeah, I understand! I mean, NA is unpopular for those very reasons. For everyone who was the right age for the Vintage He-Man, NA just alienated them outright. And you're right again: I was their target age...it's just strange to get rid of all your previous fans.

Anyway, I've certainly been in that position before! The "trying not to hate it" position. Some things end up not that bad, others end up as bad as you thought. Since I never caught the show as a kid, I'm sorta giving it a chance myself.

In ROCKY II Apollo was clearly a villain -- much more so than in ROCKY. In fact, he told the promoter he didn't care if he was cast as the villain in the fight and to humiliate Rocky into fighting.

As for Skeletor, as I said in the mastercast podcast, he's in a different place and time in NA and he acts the buffoon so he can get the lay of the land before making him move. Remember, he's outnumbered by mutants and superior technology on Primus. He needs to bide his time. Still cunning, just in a different way.

I don't think Apollo was ever a villain, he was just a pompous opponent who no longer became an adversary. The audience and Rocky was able to see he was a good guy once you got to know him. Darth was a villain, but he turned on the Emperor when his son was being tortured and went back to the good. Both Darth and Apollo cared for things beyond just themselves.

Skeletor is a different animal. He is the epitome of selfishness, more than any 80's villain I can think of (Cobra Commander cares about Cobra, Hordak cares about the Horde, Megatron cares about the Decepticons). All Skeletor cares about is obtaining more power for himself. Both Skeletors do share this trait. Skeletor also has no allegiance outside of himself (minus the 80's Christmas Special, but that's a different discussion). Apollo and Darth do have allegiance to their family and their nation.

On a side note, I wanted to give NA a shot, so this thread/challenge to watch each episode is cool. Pointing out the good and the bad. I think most of the bad comes from comparing New Adventures to other Masters of the Universe incarnations. In and of itself, NA is not a bad series. I will only say the Scientists (designs and voices) are consistenly cringe worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    In ROCKY II Apollo was clearly a villain -- much more so than in ROCKY. In fact, he told the promoter he didn't care if he was cast as the villain in the fight and to humiliate Rocky into fighting.

As for Skeletor, as I said in the mastercast podcast, he's in a different place and time in NA and he acts the buffoon so he can get the lay of the land before making him move. Remember, he's outnumbered by mutants and superior technology on Primus. He needs to bide his time. Still cunning, just in a different way.
    Well, I'll hold final judgment on this Skeletor persona thing until we finish the series. Deal?

Deal.

Well, I'll hold final judgment on this Skeletor persona thing until we finish the series. Deal?

Just dropping in to say that I still plan to catch up with 3 then 4. I don't read through the threads until I've watched the episode, and taken my notes, or else I'd be posting more often. Been really busy working on my display.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    Just dropping in to say that I still plan to catch up with 3 then 4. I don't read through the threads until I've watched the episode, and taken my notes, or else I'd be posting more often. Been really busy working on my display.
    Same here! Not giving up at all just been busy working OT.

- - - Updated - - -

Flogg's voice is just perfect. Really fits him. Kudos to him for standing up to Skeletor a bit.

Grot or Groot?! He looks like a hippo!

The B squad mutants are fun to watch. Cool to see a battle just minutes into the show.

I like the idea of someone that opposes Sebrian, makes for an interesting plot.

"Adam?? How can the merchant help us?" LOL

Skeletor begging Flogg was priceless.

Lebaton looks like Cloud City!

annnnd the scientists! Corny music behind them is a nice touch.

Way to kill all the cacti He-Man.

Haha nice moral with Grot at the end too.

Pretty good 4th episode, lots of action and good interactions with the mutants and Skeletor.
    I loved growing up in the 80's....wish my kids someday could experience the same thing....

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan