Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I can't get enough of the 200x series

I can't get enough of the 200x series

... I'm just sad there were only 39 episodes. What I loved it that the characters developed as it went along. Much as I love the filmation cartoon every ep had to end on a reset where the characters were back in their situation enabling eps to be shown out of order etc.

I'd loved this show to have continued and gone the way the DC comics are currently taking the franchise.
    I really really wanted Teela to find out who her mother was too. This may be a hang up from episodes like Teela's Quest in Filmation. But when she became momentarily telepathic I thought "this is it" sadly it wasn't the case.

Anyhow with few threads on here dedicated to this series I thought I'd start one where we could chat about what we liked or didn't about the series.

I liked that we saw the Snake men in action, however their constant reapperences, I felt, cast Skeletor in the shade for most of the last ten episodes. I did however enjoy the treachery of Evil Lyn, her character was very well served by this series. I also loved Stinkor in it. I do wonder if, had the show continued whether some of the more obscure toys like Snout Spout would have made an apperence, I think Fisto was only introduced quite late in the day. It was however good to see more of Roboto, Evilseed and Man E Faces.

My main gripe was some of the designs. Beast man had a tiny head and depending on the angle sometimes the body of a giant. I'm not sure if I liked everyone looking so pumped but I guess it was the style. I am also on the fence about the sorceres's outfit. Probably due to me being used to her filmation colours and pale skin tone.

What say you?

Court Magician
    I liked the new look of the characters. they were upgraded but still had their classic looks. and i thought that it was a good choice to have everyone different sizes, instead of everyone being the same height like in the Filmation series.

my major complaint was the new design of He-Man's sword. they had changed it too much imo, considering how iconic the original look was. they should have toned that down a bit.

I loved it as well. I agree that skeletor seemed to have got thrown on the back burner towards the end but im sure he would have come back stronger than ever if the series had gone on. I felt that evil lyn was at her best in this series and made me fall in love with the character even more. Stinkor was awesome...I remember being so jacked when his character appeared. Also loved the King Grayskull vs hordak. Getting a origin for Two Bad was great as well. It was a sad day when I finished all the episodes...I was pretty much on my knees shouting "You can't leave me like this!!!!"

Absolutely, myp series was what re-introduce me to MOTU , I loved every single episode of that show and I was so bummed it ended so prematurely; episode 40 was still intriguing as the rest of the series.
    Personally I was waiting appeareances from such characters like spikor, extendar, shokoti, lord masque she-ra, bow and many more!! so sad

My biggest wish would be a DTD done in style of the current DC animated universe movies's level of seriousness and give a proper end to the series. I'd also be in favour of movie adaptation of the ongoing DC comics series
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

A movie may not be long enough, but I'd love another animated series.

The anniversary DVDs have ep 40 in comic book form or something don't they. I can't veiw it on my laptop as I live in the UK and it's a region 1 disc. So I can't see any of the Rom material. Are the details for this ep online anywhere.

I don't understand why it stopped half way through season 2. I would have thought they'd at least finish the season off before ending where it did.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Trap-Jaw- View Post
    I don't understand why it stopped half way through season 2. I would have thought they'd at least finish the season off before ending where it did.
    Because there was never an order made to produce the other 13 episodes.

Which came from a mixed variety of reasons, mostly toy-sales not being great. As a licensed show, it was very dependant that the toys sell, etc. (Kinda like Young Justice recently suffered.) But as well some schedule-shifting for the episodes and such that affected...

Here's my story regarding 200X:

I moved out of my parents house at 18 and didn't have a computer so I couldn't visit the boards everyday like I used to. That was hard, but eventually I got used to it. I got out of collecting as a result and forgot about MOTU for a few years. Then one day when I was in my early 20's I was watching Saturday morning cartoons like I always did and a show came on that I didn't recognize. I didn't recognize any of the characters and thought nothing of it as I got up to get a bowl of cereal from the kitchen. As I was making breakfast I heard the word "Teela".

I froze.

I peeked out from the kitchen thinking I must have heard that wrong. I saw someone that looked like Evil-lyn but not really, and thought it must have been my imagination. I started pouring the milk when I heard someone say "Skeletor". Now I know I couldn't have made that up, so I ran back to the living room.

I sat down and started watching, still not recognizing any of the characters, and then He-Man transformed. I was slack-jawed! My eyes were glued to the TV, and I felt like I was 5 years old again. It was an amazing feeling! I couldn't believe He-Man was back on TV. That experience reminded me of this site, and how much fun I had here.

I went to work that night, and that's all everyone was talking about. Everyone I worked with back then was all around the same age group, and we all loved MOTU.

The excitement started up again when the toys hit retail. We got in a case at work and that was the coolest thing ever. We couldn't believe something we loved so much from our childhood was being introduced to a new audience.

I watched what I could on TV, but the networks and time slots kept changing so I missed several episodes. Then eventually it was just gone. I bought the series on DVD and I absolutely love it! I was really upset that it ended the way it did, but it is what it is.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Loved the 200X series. Sucked how cartoon network screwed it over by re-running the first 10 or so episodes over and over again for a few months... wounding its appeal right out of the gate. The updated designs were spot on and got me started collecting toys... I've been over 800 figs deep since 2008, grrrr...

Anyway. the only thing I would have changed would be to go with the early concept design of MAA repairing the power sword and giving it the techno vibe. Also, they could have tied the green core with the NA laser sword concept.

Loved it all!!
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

I didn't like most of the redesigns, but I loved the show overall. Great stories and pacing.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I really would have liked to see it keep going and see it's takes on more characters that were supposed to appear. Would have liked to see She-Ra, Modulok, Clamp Champ etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HungrySnakeman View Post
    I really would have liked to see it keep going and see it's takes on more characters that were supposed to appear. Would have liked to see She-Ra, Modulok, Clamp Champ etc.
    The footage of the Horde in the flashback was very exciting. Mantenna in particularly looked very good.

I hope DC films get their new comics animated in the same way they have animated Assult on Arkham and Batman & Son.

- - - Updated - - -

I realised yesterday that I'd been watching them in widescreen 16x6 instead of 4:3!

No wonder I thought they were all so fat.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy

I realised yesterday that I'd been watching them in widescreen 16x6 instead of 4:3!

No wonder I thought they were all so fat.
    Huh?

The TV broadcast was a "square" 4:3 ratio.

But on DVD they were released in original "wide-screen" 16:9.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Huh?

The TV broadcast was a "square" 4:3 ratio.

But on DVD they were released in original "wide-screen" 16:9.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vtUOvMy0Gl..._broadcast.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MbDYIm0nbf..._trust_dvd.png
    Is this true?

I usually work out the ratio by looking at a circle in each format (e.g. Zodac's eyes) and whichever ratio makes a perfect circle is the proper one.

I have the anniversary set from Mill creek. It always plays in widescreen 16x9, though having said that so does the Filmation series and I have to adjust the TV, but when I switched to 4:3 for 200x everyone looked kind of... normal as opposed to very chunky.
    Well... normal for giant snake mutants and beast men.

I was watching the dvds the other week on my ps3 and it got blurry and pixelated at times. I wonder if the ratio or playback setting is all jacked up on my system Either way it made me angry so I did something else.

Might be your machine, mine isn't pixelated.

Might be your machine, mine isn't pixelated.
    I switched the ratio option somehow to 4:3 and now it does it a lot less. I imagine if I just switched the machine to back to standard definition it would be fine. Ill give it a try.

I really enjoyed this series and I was quite disappointed that it got cancelled.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

would have loved to see more episodes with horde

I really love the show and thought it was one of the best shows on CN at the time. I admit I did not like that version of Teela as much as the original, I found her irritating and childish. Of course that was because they regressed the age of some of the characters a bit. CN has a long history of cancelling great shows for one reason or the other if it's not toys sales its the maturity content of the shows.
    Power flows to the one who knows. G1 Megatron

Court Magician
    Wasn't the Filmation series syndicated? And if so, I wonder why they didn't try that with the 200X series.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelgaard View Post
    Wasn't the Filmation series syndicated? And if so, I wonder why they didn't try that with the 200X series.
    Could be that Mattel had a deal with Cartoon Network, so it wasn't syndicated for individual TV stations.

Also while I'm no expert on the specifics, I think there is some episode-order amount as minimum before a show can be syndicated.

Lastly from a fan's perspective, I've heard syndicated shows may run not in exact order, depending when and where they are aired. With the MYP series being continuity-heavy, that would have made watching episodes possibly confusing for some viewers if one day you have the good guys fighting villains with Two-Bad in there. Then the next episode you see how Tuvar and Baddhra become Two-Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdiary27 View Post
    I switched the ratio option somehow to 4:3 and now it does it a lot less. I imagine if I just switched the machine to back to standard definition it would be fine. Ill give it a try.
    Make sure the resolution your PS3 is outputting at is the native resolution of your TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristof View Post
    my major complaint was the new design of He-Man's sword. they had changed it too much imo, considering how iconic the original look was. they should have toned that down a bit.
    The design was created before the show was written. In fact, the original story was supposed to continue from the original. The new design of the sword was not supposed to be the power sword... It was supposed to be a new sword made by MAA and Sorceress. Skeletor had control over both halves of the power sword... That's why he comes with two swords that merge into one.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    Make sure the resolution your PS3 is outputting at is the native resolution of your TV.
    Thanks, bud. I'll try that as well.