Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Roger Sweet on Masters of the Universe Chronicles

Masters Chronicles Host! Vinto-Man's Avatar

Interview with Roger Sweet on Masters of the Universe Chronicles

Happy Independence Day to everyone!

Episode 13 is now active and features an interview with Mr Roger Sweet

During the interview, Mr Sweet talks about the toyline development, what names he had in mind apart from He-Man. Mr Sweet also gives his thoughts on the new Classics line and an upcoming documentary he is featured in and the live action movie.

Mr Sweet also comments on why his “Mastering The Universe: He-Man and the Rise and Fall of a Billion-Dollar Idea” was brought out and gives a couple of quotes from it too!

To listen, just click the link in my signature, its as simple as that and you can subscribe via Itunes as well!
    Last edited by Vinto-Man; July 4, 2010 at 05:46am.
    Masters of the Universe Chronicles Podcast!

To listen to any show click here

To join the facebook page click here

To subscribe via Itunes click here

LOL! Great interview. I don't agree with some of the stuff Roger Sweet mentioned with regards to the various lines, but I have to say his bluntness was humorous at times. Oh I cracked up a bit when he was reading that paperwork like it was being presented in court. hehe

I'm really shocked to hear that some of the female Tomart's concept art wasn't for MOTU at all, but rather the early framework for a She-Ra line (i.e. Early Heroine sketch, A little too sexy "Teela"...the heroine on the unicorn)

chris vint is the man. awsome interview, one of if not the best interview ive ever heard. and roger was quite a funny guy, i love star wars, but when he sead hasbro's puny starwars figures ihad to laugh and agree, ive never been a fan of the toys, but like i sead i love the movies and comics. still awsome interview chris, keep up the awsome work. oh, and ive bugged pixel dan, and chance you, dan and the main man rob base could do some more vintage motu reveiws that include playsets, vehicles and some of the ''mounts''? keep up the awsome job all three of you guys are doing thx!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    LOL! Great interview. I don't agree with some of the stuff Roger Sweet mentioned with regards to the various lines, but I have to say his bluntness was humorous at times. Oh I cracked up a bit when he was reading that paperwork like it was being presented in court. hehe

I'm really shocked to hear that some of the female Tomart's concept art wasn't for MOTU at all, but rather the early framework for a She-Ra line (i.e. Early Heroine sketch, A little too sexy "Teela"...the heroine on the unicorn)
    cans someone post pics of the tomarts concept art?
    Last edited by kelddorr; July 4, 2010 at 03:59pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thank you both very much for the kind words! Kelddorr, rob and i have a few more videos on the way but it depends if we have playsets to do or not.

Always feel free to email me if you wish sir! Glad you enjoyed the interview!

Quote Originally Posted by kelddorr View Post
    cans someone post pics of the tomarts concept art?
    Sure. You can check it out here.

http://he-man.org/collecting/prototypeitem.php?id=3104

thx tallstar great stuff!

I enjoyed the interview. I usually don't like sitting an hour through podcasts of any sort, but I really enjoyed this one and the Larry DiTillio one.

Roger talks like a guy with a really big chip on his shoulder, but if all the stuff is true about people trying to take his credit for creating He-Man and basically being blacklisted after leaving Mattel, then I don't really blame him.

Thanks for giving it a chance Firefly and I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Heroic Warrior
    WOW!

That was interesing and informative.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I enjoyed the interview. I usually don't like sitting an hour through podcasts of any sort, but I really enjoyed this one and the Larry DiTillio one.

Roger talks like a guy with a really big chip on his shoulder, but if all the stuff is true about people trying to take his credit for creating He-Man and basically being blacklisted after leaving Mattel, then I don't really blame him.
    Ya know, I thought he seemed a lot less that way hearing his voice than when I read it in print. I think he just sees things a certain way and is a very matter of fact kind of guy. He even makes sure to give credit to lots of people there at the end and makes sure to say it was a collaborative effort, which I thought was nice. I think Roger gets picked on too much sometimes, but that's just me.

Great listen, and always fun to hear about the creation of He-Man!

Groovy podcast. It was cool to hear his thoughts on Stratos and Zodac.
    END OF LINE

Good interview, it was nice to put a voice behind the book. Seems like a nice guy not wanting to take all the credit only what he deservers for his contributions. He's doing well to still be able to do 22 pull up's, I remember in his book he talks about his training a little bit.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinto-Man View Post
    Happy Independence Day to everyone!
    Being told "happy independence day" from someone across the pond is kinda funny.. since it's us celebrating our declaration of independence and subsequent victory in the revolutionary wars against our then foes in England. But.. in recent years, the UK does whatever it is the US asks of 'em.. so.. maybe one day you guys will get your independence day.!

I'm just messin' with ya.. anyway..

Great interview! Very interesting. I miss the rest of the podcast though! It seems to have been cut about an hour short. I enjoyed the conversations you would have, the interviews from Eternia/Etheria, and even the audio of the old commericials. I'm not sure if you were excited to get this interview out.. or if you just shortened the entirety of the podcast down to the interview segmant.

Regardless, I enjoy the show and am very impressed with the guests you interview, and enjoy the interviews and podcast immensely. I especially enjoyed this interview, and now I want to get the book, Mastering the Universe!

Keep it up! and cheers!

Great interview. This podcast persuaded me to get Mr. Sweet's book, which I found on Amazon for $13 shipped for a new one.

WOW - Thank you all so much for the kind words. Always makes it worthwhile seeing the comments about the podcast! I have a few up my sleeve that you will like and word of a new competition in the upcoming weeks as well!

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    I have been meaning to buy that book, and now I'm going to pick up a copy for sure. That was a really great interview. Very informative. I enjoyed his bluntness when talking about his dealings with Mattel, and his thoughts on the toylines that followed.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Again thank you very much! I enjoy doing the podcasts and long may it continue I would say!

That was a great interview, thanks for posting it.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Whats up, Chris! Yeah, I can't say anything that I didn't already say on the Pop Culture Network. Awesome podcast and really great interview!

I really got to dig out my copy of his book after listening to your podcast. I know a lot of people say he's got a bad attitude and sounds bitter but screw that, he's probably got a reason to be. I like that he keeps it real! Roger Sweet is a major player in the MOTU game as far as I'm concerned.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

A Defender of Grayskull coolapex's Avatar
    Awesome job Chris. I couldn't believe you got a hold of Mr. Roger Sweet. As always I enjoyed listening to the podcast. Please continue to entertain us with such interesting and informative interviews. I found Mr. Sweet's personality humorous actually. He had a lot to say. I don't know if it's just me but I could tell that you wanted to move on with the questions but sometimes you couldn't if you know what I mean. I found that funny No disrespect to him in anyway. Thanks again Chris and I can't wait for more.

He-man 450lbs...I Like that idea!!!!!!

This is the first Chronicles podcast I listened to because I really wanted to hear what Roger Sweet had to say. I enjoyed his anecdotes, but there was much about the podcast that I didn't enjoy.

-Vinto-Man, you mean well, but you can be fairly hard to understand. Maybe it's a combination of the accent and/or mic quality, but it's a struggle sometimes. Also, you came off like you were trying to rush Mr. Sweet through each of his answers. I just wanted to hear him talk. Are you limited on your podcast length?

-Where is the rest of the interview?! It just cuts off shortly after the 26 min mark.
    "All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines from the 1980s." - Scott "Toyguru" Neitlich

BAND
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-O0lmC1Y0E
    http://www.myspace.com/thesickpleazures
    ART
    http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/c...tworkgalleries
    PHOTOS
    http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1723839/0

It lasts 50 odd mins so dunno what happens there with your vresin. Mr Sweet was great to talk to but there was a lot of pregnant pauses I needed to edit and that's why it seems like I interrupt him. Didn't mean to but just our styles kinda clashed.

Great interview mate.

Have to agree at times he did sound like a guy with a chip on his shoulder, but I felt he redeemed himself with saying he has no ill will to anyone and that the others are all very talented people in their own right.

I think that maybe all parties could be correct on some things. He appears to have created the concept, but others have added and changed it with their own input, therefore having an equally important role in the overall product that was MOTU.

As for Independence Day, I can`t wait to get my indepenence from England!!!!

I must disagree with Mr. Sweet on NA He-Man.
    That figure had more articulation in the legs than original He-Man, thus he did not "stand at attention". You could had him stand however you wanted.
    He also didn't have the annoying rubber band holding his legs together that petrified as time went on.
    Other than that little bit, a nice interview. I enjoyed it.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.