Thread: "A Tale of Two Cities" Official Classic Episode Review Thread!

"A Tale of Two Cities" Official Classic Episode Review Thread!

This Week also is EP # 27 "A Tale of Two Cities"

He-man and Battlecat rescue a beautiful young princess from the evil soldier Gargon warriors. While trying to save the princess he-man loses his memory and is taken prisoner. He-man must survive a test of strength against Garn, the strongest man in Queen Valena's kingdom of Targa, Abherran's rival kingdom, and forces he-man to fight for her amusement. Will he-man regain his memory back to rescue himself and princess raya?

let's hear your thoughts my friends.

carlo
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

a tale of 2 cities
    well this is probably one of the most underrated eps in the entire series.
    its defenitly one of my faves
    i feel that this ep is defenitly one of the stronger heman eps w/o skeletor in it.
    its got i believe the better plot for heman forgetting his memory then the guest for heman does.'

as carlo basically said not to long ago he has to save the princess from the clutches of queen valeena, in the process also freein garn from the services of her as well.
    so technically this ep has 1 major plot and a couple of other
    plots as well.

anyway i will give this ep defenitly an 8 plus i loved princess reya so that doesnt hurt the ep much at all
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

Heroic Warrior
    Not a bad episode although it would have been good to see the action as He-Man defeated Garn, who was not actually that strong (and definitely stupid - if he was so strong, why didn't he just break out?).

Even with the help he was given, Garn's strength wasn't even in the same league as He-Man's especially considering that in either the episode before or afterwards, He-Man lifted and threw (!!) Castle Grayskull - an awesome feat.
    He-man is the biggest (watch him pump up his massive biceps) and the strongest - no one can beat him. Remember that!

Heroic Warrior
    He-man is the biggest (watch him pump up his massive biceps) and the strongest - no one can beat him. Remember that!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    (old thread, new review... surely you know by now... )

"A Tale of Two Cities" is a truly excellent first season installment. A much underrated episode, and one of the very best non-Skeletor tales in my opinion.

Other than being Prince Adam and Cringer at the very start of the story, they are in He-Man and Battle Cat form throughout the entire episode, giving the whole thing a rather mini-comic-y feel (and maybe it's no coincidence that this ep was later adapted into a mini-comic, 'Slave City').

The plot is very exciting, and with He-Man being forced to fight in the arena, has slightly more of the savage feel of the early mini-comics to it, something I always wished could have been incorporated more into the Filmation series.

In fact, the episode has a rather unique feel overall, being He-Man and Battle Cat almost the whole time, and no other series regulars, be it Heroic or Evil, making an appearance.

He-Man losing his memory is very well done; much better than in "Quest for He-Man" (did I ever mention how much I don't like that episode?? ).

Garn is a good character, and it's a shame we didn't see him reappear in later episodes.

I also liked the episode's moral, with He-Man telling us we can find great adventures in books. I think these sorts of morals were why my parents didn't mind me watching He-Man so much (even though, ironically, the majority of moral segments were edited out for time when the series was originally shown here in the United Kingdom!).

All in all, an extremely enjoyable episode. I give it 9 out of 10.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

A Tale of Two Cities

Also known, as "Tarzan and the City of Gold"!

I had not seen the old Filmation Tarzan series for about 28 years, and for some reason tonight, I decided to see if I could find it on DVD or VHS, did a search and saw eps up to watch on the Tube... didn't really watch it properly at first, but some animation caught my eye when I was skipping the track along, watched the segment through and I recognised it from watching A Tale of Two Cities a couple weeks ago! I went back to the beginning of the Tarzan episode and watched on.... aside from a few changes here and there, they were a complete match! Filmation had copied almost the entire Tarzan episode, frame for frame, word for word, just tweaking it and re-branding it for the He-Man ep!

So, not just reusing some animation here and there, but entire episodes too!

Comments, thoughts!?

That made me curious so i You Tubed Tarzan and the city of Gold . Wow that was impressive recycling . Funny Tarzan seems better quality then BlackStar that came out later . The golden city guardsmen are using feline mounts ? Very Interesting and alot of Battlecat recycling options right there .

I think Mattel was heavily influenced by Filmation regarding lions and muscled bound Heroes and fantasy worlds . Very conveniant and i imagine Mattel Boss and Lou Scheimer sitting down and discussing the world building path of least resistance . Eternia is a mash potato full of science and sorcery very flexible for old stock footage .

As for the recycling well thats what Filmation likes to do and it was done on purpose and given the green light . In the end these toons are glorified toy adverts not stand alone works of art . Anything to keep within budget was acceptable . Most kids who watched Tarzan probably skipped on HeMan . Heck i never knew Filmation made a Tarzan series .

I am also sure the artist loves to see his work reused over and over again . Spending a week or three on a 5 second clip makes for emotional attachment . I think recycling has an added bonus for worker morale .
    Last edited by MOLKROM; January 19, 2015 at 05:10am.
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

Quote Originally Posted by MOLKROM View Post
    In the end these toons are glorified toy adverts not stand alone works of art .
    Knowing the behind-the-scenes with Lou Scheimer from DVDs and articles, He-Man isn't really a toy-advert.
    I mean of course Mattel was looking into making a cartoon to drive up sales. But with the special deal Lou made, they
    ended up getting more.

Also, from looking at that 'heman-is-just-a-toy-advert' point of view; then that would mean it's not doing a very good job.
    Because they stick to using SO MUCH of just 3-4 main characters and building their relationships.
    (Instead of giving us the new-toy-of-the-week in every other episode.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Because they stick to using SO MUCH of just 3-4 main characters and building their relationships.

I think that falls under recycling stock footage and cutting corners argument . XD
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

Yes, but practically recycling an entire episode from another program you did, is kinda taking the rip a bit. That said, a lot of the animation used in Tarzan was used in He-Man, I should give some examples, but its just too much like hard work, as I'd have to go back through He-Man and Tarzan to find them, but if you go and have a look at a few of the Tarzan eps, keep an eye out, you'll notice them... hard to miss really!

I'm also going to have a look at a few more Tarzan eps myself, who knows, Filmation might have reused another entire episode for He-Man.