Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is Your History With New Adventures?

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar

What is Your History With New Adventures?

Just want to have people open up about their history with New Adventures.

Did you collect the line when it was first released?
    Had you never heard of it until you were an adult?
    Was it the first iteration of He-Man you knew?

My personal history is that I stumbled across the figures in Toys R Us back when they were first released. All they had was He-Man and Skeletor. I could only afford to buy He-Man. I never picked up any other figures unfortunately. They just didn't intrigue me like the original MOTU line. I actually like the figures now.

I never even knew about the cartoon series until I was an adult.

Hope to hear from others!!!
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

We (my brother & I) didn't watch the show, from the commercials/ads/etc. it just didn't seem to be "He-Man". I remember seeing Optikk (the toy) thought that he was cool, but I thought he was a good guy (guess the gold armor caused that). Never picked up any of the figures until Classics. They seem better now that they are included in the MOTUC line and my son and I are struggling through season 1 of the show....
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

I picked up the first season a few years ago for $5. Couldn't make it past the first episode. I think I got about 10 minutes in. I did, however, enjoy the NA He-Man figure when I was a kid. He was the only one I had from the line.

I had a few figures as a kid. They were actually kind of hard to find in my area. Only the local variety store (GL Perry!) had them, and that was in a town a half hour away. I remember my shock (having been a fan of MOTU from ages 5 to 8) when I saw them. I was really getting into Star Trek through TNG, so it seemed like the perfect combo of two things I loved!

The first figures I got were the He-man/Slush Head 2-pack. I loved the mini-comics! I thought overall they were some of the best produced (with the exception of the art in issue #2.) But I was pretty much hooked from the start. I also got Skeletor, Hydron and Flipshot. I wanted Optikk really bad, but could never find him.

I did manage to beg my mom to get me the Starship Eternia from the JC Penny (or was it Sears?) Christmas catalog. That thing was SO amazing. Even after I stopped playing with my NA toys, I still used that with my Playmates Star Trek figures.

The cartoon was on some weird satellite network where I lived, and I didn't even have cable! So I went to a friend's house (who was also into He-man) and we watched the premier episode. I didn't care for it as much as the mini-comics, to be honest. It annoyed me how Prince Adam looked so different at the start, for one. I would have kept watching it if it had been easier to see on a channel I actually had.

It wasn't too long until I stopped playing with NA, partly because new characters were really hard to find and some of the later waves like Vizar and Nocturna didn't really appeal too me as they seemed too much like GI Joe. I do remember seeing the Missile Flipshot and being grossed out by the colors they started using. LOL.

As an adult, I did re-collect a ton of the line. I bought Starship Eternia again, and Nordor, too! It's been great to see the potential of these characters realized in Classics, too.

Well, I was born in 83, so as you can imagine, my vintage He-Man days were spent chewing on figures. BUT....those figures stuck with me (and not just in my stomach). I didn't remember the Filmation toon very well (beyond sounds and colors) but I had the minicomics, so I flipped through and then read them over and over through the years.

New Adventures happened at JUST the right time, for me. I was a He-Man fan right when the vintage era ended, so seeing it come back made me jump for joy. Now, you must understand: Skeletor was my favorite villain, all around. He still is one of my top favorites. Next to that is my love of robots. So...I can't remember how it went down, but my mom got me He-Man and Skeletor (I seem to remember seeing them at TRU?) and I snapped open those minicomics FAST. Remember: minicomics were my prime resource! So, getting more of these were like continuing the old story all official-like.

It didn't take much to pull me in. Mix a robot with Skeletor and you get cyborg Skeletor. I'm in! Then, the minicomics show how Skeletor was terribly wounded and had to perform surgery on himself. ON HIMSELF. Good god, there are no words to explain how awesome I thought that was. NA Skeletor was one of my top favorite toys, and he was well used, all because he was a cyborg Skeletor!

I won't forget He-Man, though. I was totally up for a laser sword and shield (translucent weapons are a weakness of mine) and I loved how he came complete with armor and a helmet for an optional "powered up" form. I love optional parts! Add that to the fact that he was slimmer, and somewhere closer to an attainable body (yeah, I was a kid, it seemed like something I could do at the time) and he became a sort of "avatar" figure, for me. I was blonde too, so...yeah. Once again, I was a kid, so this is how my mind worked it out.

Anyway, I'm not sure what happened after that. At some point, I attained Hoove, then just skipped straight to Disks of Doom Skeletor and Spin-Fist Hydron. After that, my last two were Battle Blade Skeletor and Thunder Punch He-Man. Not sure why I didn't get more! I only remember seeing these at TRU, so it's possible I just didn't get a chance to see them that often (because, come on, your parents aren't gona take you to TRU every day, ya know?) Also...wow, lots of He-Man and Skeletor? You can tell where my interests were aimed.

I don't think I looked into the story too much, beyond the idea that it was a futuristic He-Man and Skeletor. They had epic battles with just about all of my toys, so I wasn't really bothered by not having many figures from the NA line (though I did -a little later - manage to get the big vehicle with the claw and the flying vehicle that attaches to it at a Toy Liquidators). I would have totally watched the toon to see what the story was all about...but I never caught it. I can't remember why. Must have been in a timeslot where I wasn't watching TV. Don't even remember what channel it would have been on! I still wonder if I would have caught on to the show, if I had seen it back then.

So, while vintage He-Man is still a big favorite, New Adventures still holds a special place in my heart. A BIG place. It goes hand-in-hand with vintage, to tell ya the truth. It'll always be the next chapter, for me.
    Last edited by Alexx; September 5, 2014 at 11:54pm.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Skeletor was my favorite villain, all around. He still is one of my top favorites. Next to that is my love of robots.

Mix a robot with Skeletor and you get cyborg Skeletor. I'm in! Then, the minicomics show how Skeletor was terribly wounded and had to perform surgery on himself. ON HIMSELF. Good god, there are no words to explain how awesome I thought that was. NA Skeletor was one of my top favorite toys, and he was well used, all because he was a cyborg Skeletor!

I won't forget He-Man, though. I was totally up for a laser sword and shield (translucent weapons are a weakness of mine) and I loved how he came complete with armor and a helmet for an optional "powered up" form. I love optional parts! Add that to the fact that he was slimmer, and somewhere closer to an attainable body (yeah, I was a kid, it seemed like something I could do at the time) and he became a sort of "avatar" figure, for me.

I don't think I looked into the story too much, beyond the idea that it was a futuristic He-Man and Skeletor. They had epic battles with just about all of my toys, so I wasn't really bothered by not having many figures from the NA line (though I did -a little later - manage to get the bit vehicle with the claw and the flying vehicle that attaches to it at a Toy Liquidators). I would have totally watched the toon to see what the story was all about...but I never caught it. I can't remember why. Must have been in a timeslot where I wasn't watching TV. Don't even remember what channel it would have been on! I still wonder if I would have caught on to the show, if I had seen it back then.

So, while vintage He-Man is still a big favorite, New Adventures still holds a special place in my heart. A BIG place. It goes hand-in-hand with vintage, to tell ya the truth. It'll always be the next chapter, for me.

Cheers Alexx! Couldn't agree with you more!

I was right there when the local station had the world premiere of the NA movie. I remember watching the promo commercials for weeks leading up the premiere. Finally, it premiered, and my heart sank. Reality set in: He-Man as I knew it was dead. In one 15min swoop, the entire MOTU mythology was thrown out the window and a new era started. "Mom and Dad, I'm He-Man and I'm leaving you forever." - Adam. "OK. C-ya kid. We're proud of you. Oh and where's Duncan and Battlecat?". "who???"
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

I only got to know NA as an adult collector of vintage MOTU. The more i searched old shops, the more NA i would find. The exquisite designs of NA did it for me, every figure is unique in it's own way and i absolutely love that

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I saw the Terrorclaw at Toys 'R' Us in 1988 and bought it. On the box art, it is being piloted by New Adventures Skeletor, who I thought was Laser Light Skeletor. I thought New Adventures of He-Man, particularly a cybernetic Skeletor, was what Skeletor had promised after the credits of the 1987 live action film. I could not wait until the figures were available.

The first figures I saw and bought were He-Man and Slush Head in a two-pack. It would be a while before individual figures were available and I would buy these as well. During this time, the mini-comics were the only media available, and I thought they were fantastic.

Eventually, I saved up enough UPCs, and mailed away for the New Adventures of He-Man "A New Beginning" VHS. The pilot episode was great and I was looking forward to the series. When it finally aired in my area, it was on at 5:00 a.m. The mornings I did see it, I was sleepy or anxious because I had to get ready for school, so my experience watching it was never as fun as watching the original series at 4:00 p.m. after school.

I continued to collect the line through 1991 and picked-up the final wave at KB Toys. I really enjoyed the whole thing, even though the animated series is a little tedious.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Did you collect the line when it was first released?
    No. I remember when the toys debuted, and they looked awful. Scrawny and smushed up. He-Man looked like he had problems. My sister and I got an Artilla and Butthead on clearance a few years later (I think they were $1 each), mainly because we thought it was hilarious a character would be named Butthead. We bought them as a joke. To this day, they're the only original New Adventures figures I own.

Had you never heard of it until you were an adult?
    I heard about it when the cartoon was promoted to debut. It looked awful. Nothing like the He-Man I knew. I believe I watched part of the first episode. It was a very big sore spot for me as I was a huge Masters of the Universe fan. New Adventures looked nothing like Masters of the Universe and felt like a slap in the face.

Was it the first iteration of He-Man you knew?
    No. The first iteration for me was the original vintage line. I was born in 1982, and I can't remember a time before Masters of the Universe.

Masters of the Universe Classics gave me a second shot at New Adventures. While I'm still not a fan of NA, I really do like the NA figures in MOTUC and have even started watching the cartoon per the weekly thread started recently.

It's SO strange. Even though I was in with the vintage figures and Filmation, I didn't even know NA existed until long, long after it was over. I have no idea how I missed it.

Ah, life before the internet.....

Still, I do prefer the barbaric aspects of the property over the sci-fi. Even now, few of my classics figures are armed with guns &c. I don't know if I would've been that into it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Master of New Adventures!
    A lot of noble warriors say good-bye to mom and dad when they sacrifice and leave to fight for freedoms and liberties. Imo it was a very He-manish thing to do.

As for answering the thread's question and a lot of others, I'll save myself a lot of time with this:

http://masterscast.com/?p=46

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    I was right there when the local station had the world premiere of the NA movie. I remember watching the promo commercials for weeks leading up the premiere. Finally, it premiered, and my heart sank. Reality set in: He-Man as I knew it was dead. In one 15min swoop, the entire MOTU mythology was thrown out the window and a new era started. "Mom and Dad, I'm He-Man and I'm leaving you forever." - Adam. "OK. C-ya kid. We're proud of you. Oh and where's Duncan and Battlecat?". "who???"

Heroic Podcaster
    Born in 1974, I grew up in the 80s and loved MOTU. When NA came around, I still bought toys from time to time and I picked up Optikk. I really liked his design. 5 minutes in, his leg fell off. Never bought another and really just hated the change from the MOTU I knew. It really felt like Mattel just threw away everything I loved about MOTU trying to appeal to different kids and I was actually a little offended! Never saw the cartoon becaue I just never accepted He-Man would grow a ponytail and fly off into space.

However...

...I do like the idea of warriors and mutants fighting in space crashing onto Eternia and choosing sides in the existing MOTU battle we know and love. That is how I merge NA into my personal canon and I really like what the 4H have done with the Classics NA figures. The only Classics NA figures I do not like are NA He-Man and NA Skeletor. I hope we get more NA in Classics!
    QUEEN ANGELLA! Blast Attak Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor ELDOR! Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma Rotar
    Saurod SPINNERELLA! Sssqueeze SWEET BEE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

I was always confused by it when it first came out and didn't get to see any of the cartoons because they aired while I was at school. I always stared at the figures at the toy store...I just didn't understand what had happened to the characters I knew and loved. Fast forward a few decades later and I finally made myself sit down and watch the whole run on DVD....and for the most part I kinda enjoyed it. At first the episodes were hard to get through but I guess it grew on me. Although I must say if the name he-man wasn't attached to it...I would never have watched more than one episode.

Heroic Warrior
    I saw the toys in stores way back when. I thought they were knock offs of sorts. I refused to buy them. It wasn't until 1997-1998 that I find out via the Internet that they were actually official Mattel stuff. Then of course I found out there was a cartoon. Not too long ago I watched the entire series.

I think the NA cartoon is a big shock for fans who grew up with the original Masters of the Universe line and cartoon.

So it is hard for people to forget what came before and shift gears. Same thing is happening with the Classics toyline. There is a lot of fear of what is to come next once the 2015 sub is over because there might be a new line of figures that have never hit shelves before instead of previous established characters getting figures.

Change is hard for a lot of people.

I find it most interesting when I read responses of people who just grew up knowing New Adventures of He-Man and never knowing the original Masters of the Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    A lot of noble warriors say good-bye to mom and dad when they sacrifice and leave to fight for freedoms and liberties. Imo it was a very He-manish thing to do.

As for answering the thread's question and a lot of others, I'll save myself a lot of time with this:

http://masterscast.com/?p=46

Master of New Adventures!
    What happened to the characters you knew and loved is that someone in an office at Mattel likely looked at a sales chart and saw that sales of the action figures and play sets had peaked. It's difficult for many fans to understand and accept this, but Mattel is a toy company and the television series was not their first priority. They saw it as a vehicle to sell toys. As a toy manufacturer their first priority is and always has been sales. To their credit and my enduring gratitude, they granted writers a lot of latitude in trying to address their priority through hopefully creative and entertaining television series. But with sales of the MOTU line down, someone probably said "How many Man-at-Arms and Skeletor figures can the kids collect?" So, figuring the line had been saturated, they decided to change everything, put He-man and Skeletor in a different time and place with new villains and friends in hopes of generating new action figure and play set sales.

Hindsight is, of course, 20/20, but I wish they had prepared fans for this rather than just debuting the series. As many know, I would have loved to have brought He-man, Skeletor and some of the Mutants and some of He-man's new friends back to Eternia to fight new battles that I had envisioned. But it was not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdiary27 View Post
    I was always confused by it when it first came out and didn't get to see any of the cartoons because they aired while I was at school. I always stared at the figures at the toy store...I just didn't understand what had happened to the characters I knew and loved. Fast forward a few decades later and I finally made myself sit down and watch the whole run on DVD....and for the most part I kinda enjoyed it. At first the episodes were hard to get through but I guess it grew on me. Although I must say if the name he-man wasn't attached to it...I would never have watched more than one episode.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 6, 2014 at 10:58pm.

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    I learned about it from Classics. Now as I look back, I can vaguely remember an NA power sword comericial and thought at the time, that it was some kind of He-Man rip off.

I like the NA figures, except for Scuba Steve, of course. DAMM YOU SCUBA STEVE!!!

A couple years ago I bout the NA series on DVD and forced myself to watch it, I'm not a fan. I did not care for the animation style and the whole concept of it being in the future. I mean really, if you cn travel back in time, why not just change the past?
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post

I find it most interesting when I read responses of people who just grew up knowing New Adventures of He-Man and never knowing the original Masters of the Universe.
    I'd be interested in reading those. Where can one find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodak's new shoes View Post
    I did not care for the animation style
    Let's face it. Animation wise it's much better than filmation.

And do we have to have a whole debate on "damn they screwed up the show I love". This has been done to death.

New Adventures definitely had me look in a different perspective growing up. My family and I were constantly moving growing up, I dreaded having to meet new friends, and missed my friends back home (wherever that was lol) At first I hated the fact that all my favorite characters were gone. Fisto, Zodac, and Man-e-Faces for one and especially Orko and Teela. But then I realized He-man was just like myself... moving...evolving...changing environments meeting new people. Sounds kind of sappy but growing up it enabled me to think about my situation accept it and make the best of it.

Plus a Laser sword, Robots, Mutants, the amazing toys (which allowed me to carry more than 3 figures at a time lol). PANTS lol. New Adventures is definitely different... not the normal. But still possess some good if you choose to see them!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    What happened to the characters you knew and loved is that someone in an office at Mattel likely looked at a sales chart and saw that sales of the action figures and play sets had peaked. It's difficult for many fans to understand and accept this, but Mattel is a toy company and the television series was not their first priority. They saw it as a vehicle to sell toys. As a toy manufacturer their first priority is and always has been sales. To their credit and my enduring gratitude, they granted writers a lot of latitude in trying to address their priority through hopefully creative and entertaining television series. But with sales of the MOTU line down, someone probably said "How many Man-at-Arms and Skeletor figures can the kids collect?" So, figuring the line had been saturated, they decided to change everything, put He-man and Skeletor in a different time and place with new villains and friends in hopes of generating new action figure and play set sales.

Hindsight is, of course, 20/20, but I wish they had prepared fans for this rather than just debuting the series. As many know, I would have loved to have brought He-man, Skeletor and some of the Mutants and some of He-man's new friends back to Eternia to fight new battles that I had envisioned. But it was not to be.
    If Mattel could have made the NA figures compatible with the original line (same size/style), I bet He-Man/New Adventures would have done much better.

Look at what Masters of the Universe Classics has done for NA. Put it on a level playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    I'd be interested in reading those. Where can one find them.
    Closest comment in this thread has been Alexx (although not quite a newbie to He-Man - so close but no cigar)

I know in the past (don't have the time to dig through all the old threads) there have been some members over the years that only grew up watching NA. I know these are few and far between, but hopefully we will get someone to post in here that fits the bill!
    Last edited by Midwinter; September 7, 2014 at 03:13pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    Closest comment in this thread has been Alexx (although not quite a newbie to He-Man - so close but not cigar)

I know in the past (don't have the time to dig through all the old threads) there have been some members over the years that only grew up watching NA. I know these are few and far between, but hopefully we will get someone to post in here that fits the bill!
    Ok, so you didn't read the said responses. I do wonder if any exist.

As for NA toys, I do believe they were inferior to the original MOTU. I don't mean that in the sense that they're different. I mean looking at them objectively it seems over all quality and details were degraded. Compare (for example) Terror Claws Skeletor or Flying Fists He-Man to any of the NA figures.

I understand this now of course....i don't blame them switching gears as a business at all. As a youngin I just didn't get it. Now bringing them all back to eternia for a run of episodes would have been a killer idea.

In Austria and Germany as well i guess we had comics from EHAPA, i loved them and once the motion picture came out the used a lot of Gwildor which i clearly remember but never liked.

In this comics it was announced that there will be something new coming up for He-Man and we all guessed what i will be…we knew it would be more of a space saga and there were teaser pictures of he-man with a helmet and a new sword.

I remember clearly how all of my friends and school mates speculated how the others will look like in space and we had our own ideas how it will work...

And than all of a sutton there was this story about Adam who was tracked into a space ship and Skeletor was the only one who had followed him.

I clearly remember how disappointed mostly everyone was. At that time we didnīt care for honor or the necessity to leave loved ones behind. He-Man alone in space with new teammates and enemies that was a lot already but than he became skinny as well. He-Man looked so ordinary and common like any other man...?!?
    Most of my friends turned to Star Wars or the Turtles and Marvel comics. The cartoon that followed soon after and didnīt even tell the same story as those comics or the mini comics was nicely drawn but again was filled with new characters. I missed Teela or Adora but i was glad that we got at least Mara her i liked from the start. I watched the cartoon and a friend of mine got most of the first wave and even some of the second wave figures and we still played with them but it simply wasnīt the same anymore.

I think the only figure i do have is Sagitar from the NA toy line since my brother asked me some years ago who this character actually is since he canīt remember it and i told him he was form NA and he had no clue what that was(he is three years older than me) but we both agreed the figure is amazing still! He has him now.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither