Page 53 of 99 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2458

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    from other places of the web :

phillinley
    Nov 18 2007, 07:30 PM

And more
    See, good information. Now lets see if this guy can get the papers and there is another piece of the puzzel.

MOTUXMEN Could you post a pic of your brothers wonderbread he man?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    from other places of the web :

phillinley
    Nov 18 2007, 07:30 PM

And more
    Who is this Phil Linley guy and how can we get ahold of him? If he does infact have paper trails of this figures existence that is exactly what we need. Where on the web did you find this quote Arkangel? Could you possibly post the link? Wow, all these recent developments are quite exciting. HOPE THEY MATERIALIZE!!!!

phillinley's story has to be backed up by proof.
    Until then, they are just stories until we see the documents.

There was nothing preventing him from e-mailing the webmaster here at the site if he had this info years ago.

Facts of the matter:
    Mattel's own records show nothing for a Wonderbread He-Man.
    The only mail-away of existence documented to date is the card set.
    The weapons pictures with Savage He-Man are the ones found with Man-E-Weapons.

So we're still seeking proof.
    Until we have physical proof, memories and stories still keep Savage He-Man a mystery.

I'd love to have actual proof from anywhere at this point!
    Wonderbread, Wonderland, Disneyland, whatever...

yeah, that claim does have an unusual odor to it....

But who knows, I suppose anything is still possible.....only time will tell.

I would still like to get ahold of the guy to see if he can back up any of his claims.

......................................EDIT........ .................................................. .............

Did a little searching and found where phillinley's quote came from littlerubberguys.com, a site dedicated to MUSCLE.

Also, eBay power seller dcsportscards just sold a Savage He-Man for $231 and this was the description. Do you guys trust this story or do you think it was just made up to increase the $$$$?

"I purchased a large lot of Old He-Man toys from a ladies attic this week. (in fact all of the MOTU items I have listed). When I got it home I found mixed in the lot this Wonder Bread Figure. I spent quite a bit of time last night researching this figure, the history of him and what he comes with. There is quite a bit of conflicting information out there! From what I found the only known Still Mint in Bag Wonder Bread He-Man comes with the Sword and Axe I have with this figure. It perfectly fits in with my information. This Sword and Axe were in the collection and there was no Man-E-Weapons figure, which is the only other figure these weapons came with, and even more conclusivly for me, the lot did not have the other weapons that came with Man-E-Weapons, just these two. Based on that information, I believe, as many others, that these are the parts that he originally came packaged with."
    Last edited by Trev-Or; April 4, 2008 at 01:22am.

The problem is, the bagged Savage He-Man wasn't proven to be official; there was nothing to indicate it was.
    Even Darren, the guy who bought it, will say this.
    Darren's a super nice guy, and he opened it an examined it to try and help solve the mystery.

Yet people always cite older unverified information as proof.
    Still today, the first photo from toyarchive.com and Darren's Savage He-Man in a baggie are pointed to as the basis for comparison.
    But both were shown back before Man-E-Weapons was a figure discovered and verified by the online community, which thus showed where the maroon weapons came from.

We still don't know for sure what Savage He-Man came with. It's possible he did come with marroon weapons.
    But it's unlikely given the weapons he's pictured with were part of the Grayskull weapon mold and I highly doubt Mattel, the king of recycling, would throw away all of those other weapons in the mold.

As it stands, they could have closed off/not filled the elevator anchor and gun turret chambers of the mold. But they would still have had to fill the center chamber in that particular Grayskull mold set which houses the 5 weapons in the Man-E-Weapons set and the small pistol.

So why did the pistol get tossed? I have no idea... maybe it was too small to deal with when packaging the Man-E-Weapons set since they separated the weapons from the mold when packaging him?

Without pictures, or documents, I'm 100% skeptical of any post online... especially when the post tries to hitch its story to an existing piece of unverified info that is already suspect.

I talked to Zach at ToyFare about a week ago.
    He said despite running the article, no information has come forth to verify the source of Savage He-Man.
    So the last thing any of us wants to do is look to at this post elsewhere as proof, especially a post with just a story and no actual evidence.
    I'd be thrilled if it was true! But we need the proof to back the story.

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    yay! thank you. im glad you said all of this, so it doesnt sound mean or rude from me ;P

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Heroic Warrior
    Yoko,

My brother does not have a computer nor a camera...hes kinda technologically challenged. But he did have the photo in his scrap book from when we were kids at the show with us both holding our figures we got. So I asked him to send it to me and he said he would. My mother has the video from the show but she isnt been well enough to do a great deal of searching for it. But when I talked to her yesterday she said she would go to the storage this weekend and give it a go. I would do it myself but my parents live in tampa,fla and I live in ludington, MI....like 2200 miles apart. But, I promise to put the photo/video up as soon as I get it. I also know I have some photos, a lot actually, of us as kids and I am sure I can find them and there might be some of those photos in there. I am researching right now the show and looking for anyone that might have been ruunning it or involved with running it. I am also taking it upon myself to do other reasearch to see if I can find anything else out.

Ty

UPDATE-I just got off the phone with an exec from universal studios and she gave me the number for another person whom she thought might have some answers about the show. Sinces its like 530am on the west coast of the USA I will have to wait a few hours to call but as soon as I find anything out I will post it. Crossing my fingers!
    Last edited by motuxmen; April 4, 2008 at 09:37am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I really hope you find the video and photos.
    Even if it doesn't turn out to be Savage He-Man, it'll be awesome to see what was handed out regardless.

A challenge you have in store is actually finding someone from Universal Studios who has any records from 25 years ago.
    It's doubtful they'll remember such a giveaway, and they may just agree with you on the phone if they have no idea what you're talking about.

So, those photos and video from when you were young will be the clincher!

yeah I agree the videos or pics are gonna be the clincher for the giveaway. My friend just gave me his theory on savage He-Man lol

pyoobez: tell them there was an argument by the manufacturer over the blonde hair muscly build
    pyoobez: that some were arguing he looked too much like a Nazi
    pyoobez: so they made some brown haired figures and released them in Jewish markets
    pyoobez: before deciding to just stick with the blonde hair
    Who would win in a fight between He-Man and Wonderbread He-Man?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram_Man_21 View Post
    yeah I agree the videos or pics are gonna be the clincher for the giveaway. My friend just gave me his theory on savage He-Man lol

pyoobez: tell them there was an argument by the manufacturer over the blonde hair muscly build
    pyoobez: that some were arguing he looked too much like a Nazi
    pyoobez: so they made some brown haired figures and released them in Jewish markets
    pyoobez: before deciding to just stick with the blonde hair
    nice...its as good a theory as some of the others I have seen.lol

Heroic Warrior
    1. I'm pretty sure this figure was available outside of US also , but prolly in much much lesser quantity.....

2. Mattel prolly wanted to make Conan figures but Conan rights owner got p.o'd and threatened to sue so Mattel just "let's just give them to various companies , this is gonna get us in too much legal trouble...it isn't worth it !"
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Bread He-Man View Post
    2. Mattel prolly wanted to make Conan figures but Conan rights owner got p.o'd and threatened to sue so Mattel just "let's just give them to various companies , this is gonna get us in too much legal trouble...it isn't worth it !"
    Oh no, please!!! Not again!
    This He-Man variant ISN'T a Conan figure neither is Conan related figure.
    He-Man himself wasn't a modified Conan prototype at all.
    The whole concept of MOTU was developed after Mattel realized the Conan property (on which they were going to have the license, so no problem with the owners) wasn't suitable for young children.

Heroic Warrior
    Hey everyone. I talked to a rep from interstate bakery over the weekend and I recieved an official email from them today. Interstate is the company that bought continetal bakery, who owened wonderbread during the 1980's till 1995. In this email they state that they did in fact do a mail away he-man in the mid 1980's. Most of the records from the company are now missing, however my friend is looking for them anyway. But I dont know how to put the official email in here I will copy and paste it. Anyway, looks like we have official conformation from wonderbread. And here it is....

Interstate Bakeries"

April 4, 2008

Dear Mr. Ty Streeter ,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Wonder Bread did have a mail away offer for a He-Man figurine in the mid
    1980s. Unfortunately, we do not have much information regarding this
    promotional as we have lost a lot of archived information from before
    our purchase of Wonder Bread in 1995.

Again, thank you for contacting Interstate Bakeries Corporation.

Sincerely,
    Phillip Autry
    Consumer Response Representative

Ref: N128755

Heroic Warrior
    Mr. Autry most likely wanted to provide the best response info he could given limited info, googled "wonder bread he-man", saw pictures of a figure, assumed it was theirs, and wrote a response to you confirming a promotion existed. Sadly, this doesn't confirm anything. Much of the information that exists online or in print is based on speculation and rumors that were said to be true over the years. If he used any contemporary source to look up that information, its tainted.
    Last edited by andrew_randy; April 7, 2008 at 08:32am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew_randy View Post
    Mr. Autry most likely wanted to provide the best response info he could given limited info, googled "wonder bread he-man", saw pictures of a figure, assumed it was theirs, and wrote a response to you confirming a promotion existed. Sadly, this doesn't confirm anything. Much of the information that exists online or in print is based on speculation and rumors that were said to be true over the years. If he used any contemporary source to look up that information, its tainted.
    I actually spoke with these people on the phone thursday and friday of last week. They do have some paperwork still on the promotion and they are going to fax it to me. They do not have a lot, but they do have a few inter-office memos and some billing information. I do feel that this is hard proof. I do not think this is just an appezment answer. They spent a lot of time with me at the end of last week talking and going over information. And if you read my previous post this goes against my theory of where this figure came from. So I am using this to basically prove myself wrong.lol I still think the figure could have been at both places, maybe more. But I do think the origin of this figure was at wonderbread. I am not going to dismiss this information so easily. I will follow thru with this till I get hard evidence, like photos or these memos or an actually copy of the promotional handout of whatever. But from reading thru this thread this is the first actually conformation from the company that owns Wonderbread stating that they did in fact have this promotion. Maybe its just me, but that seems to be a step in the right direction and should be followed up on. WHat does everyone else think?

I had spoke with their company years ago, and they could find no records on any He-Man mail aways and didn't know of any such mail away.
    They even stated how records from 20+ years ago, especially for a free mailaway, probably did not exist.
    I spoke with two women and one man (I think that's right) as I bounced around internally to track down info, but don't have the names any more of who I spoke with.

So, I dunno.
    Not that long ago, they were sending an e-mail out to such inquiries that made it clear they weren't sure what fans were asking about.
    A lot of fans have made similar inquiries.
    I'm sure that post is in here showing the e-mail of what they were sending out. I've tried searching through the thread using various keywords and am not snagging it just yet. Gah!

My guess is since then, they've shifted their position to "we did a mailaway" to go along with what they are seeing online.
    The only mailaway Mattel had on record with Wonder Bread was the trading card set.
    If they do in fact have any paperwork still, my guess is it's for that.

Please post what you find.
    I'd be thrilled if it was actually for the Savage He-Man.

im sorry but the guy pretty much just blew you off, theyve been called more times than you can imagine about wb he-man, your not the first, 1000's of fans have tried the same channels. trust me it wasnt wonderbread. wonderbread only did a collector card promo. thats it! i admire your efforts but if you read through the entire thread you'll see that these attempts have been made.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    im sorry but the guy pretty much just blew you off, theyve been called more times than you can imagine about wb he-man, your not the first, 1000's of fans have tried the same channels. trust me it wasnt wonderbread. wonderbread only did a collector card promo. thats it! i admire your efforts but if you read through the entire thread you'll see that these attempts have been made.
    I have a response in writing that they did a promo with a figurine, not a card. And the gentlmen I spoke to had paperwork in front of him when I spoke to them. And this is not the only person I spoke to. I talked to people at nestle-purina, the company over interstate, as well as a people from hostess, another company that is owened/was owend by Continetial Bakerys at the same time as Wonderbread, and a few different people at Interstate. This email may seem like they blew me off, to you, but I spent a few hours on the phone with people from the company over a two day span and that seems a bit much time to spend if they were just "blowing me off", dont you think. Even if people contacted them before, no one followed through with it apperantly. Just getting an answer you do/dont agree with and leaving it at that is not the way to solve this. And dismissing information because its not what you think to be right, or does not have all the information is why we are in this situation to begin with. I will continue to follow up on this, as Ifeel it is the best lead right now. When I get the photo from my brother and when my mother finds the video from the Univ. Stud. show I will do my best to get those posted on here as well. If I find any more information I will post that as well. Does not matter to me who is right, only that someone is!

Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post
    I have a response in writing that they did a promo with a figurine, not a card. And the gentlmen I spoke to had paperwork in front of him when I spoke to them. And this is not the only person I spoke to. I talked to people at nestle-purina, the company over interstate, as well as a people from hostess, another company that is owened/was owend by Continetial Bakerys at the same time as Wonderbread, and a few different people at Interstate. This email may seem like they blew me off, to you, but I spent a few hours on the phone with people from the company over a two day span and that seems a bit much time to spend if they were just "blowing me off", dont you think. Even if people contacted them before, no one followed through with it apperantly. Just getting an answer you do/dont agree with and leaving it at that is not the way to solve this. And dismissing information because its not what you think to be right, or does not have all the information is why we are in this situation to begin with. I will continue to follow up on this, as Ifeel it is the best lead right now. When I get the photo from my brother and when my mother finds the video from the Univ. Stud. show I will do my best to get those posted on here as well. If I find any more information I will post that as well. Does not matter to me who is right, only that someone is!
    not a card set???? im sorry you are mistaken. i admire your zeal but i assure you everyone has had just as much passion for answers as you feel you have. wonderbread did not do a figure. especially since it would place it at the end of the line rather than at the begining. mattel ahd alreay moved most of its if not all of its factories to malaysia/hongkong by then.

and again if this was the case mattel wouldnt be confused about the origins of the figure. what would they hope to hide from a wonderbread deal? especially admitting to the cardset...as if they could deny it

the wonderbreda myth emerged due to the cardset promo and the matching wep pack zodac armor which sports a W a very lazy detective took that as concrete proof and thus the rumor spread.

this if true would also discount your original pitch that it was from the live show.

We should call Myth busters or one of those types of shows.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    not a card set???? im sorry you are mistaken. i admire your zeal but i assure you everyone has had just as much passion for answers as you feel you have. wonderbread did not do a figure. especially since it would place it at the end of the line rather than at the begining. mattel ahd alreay moved most of its if not all of its factories to malaysia/hongkong by then.

and again if this was the case mattel wouldnt be confused about the origins of the figure. what would they hope to hide from a wonderbread deal? especially admitting to the cardset...as if they could deny it

the wonderbreda myth emerged due to the cardset promo and the matching wep pack zodac armor which sports a W a very lazy detective took that as concrete proof and thus the rumor spread.

this if true would also discount your original pitch that it was from the live show.
    I know that it would. Or at least partly discount it. It could have still been givin out at the show, leftovers or whatever. What I am saying is that when I sent this request I asked if they did an action figure and you can clearly see in the response it says they did do a figurine. They may have also done a card set, but the answer I recieved clearly states figurine. If you read what i wrote it says I realize this may not be the end all answer, but it is a step in the right direction. and there may be people who have reasearched this before, but we still have no answers. So since no one has an proof either way..either that it came from wonderbread, or came from Universal Studios, or it was some of brand knockoff or whatever...I am going on the theroy that there is no proof. If there was this would not be a mystery. So Until someone proves where it did come from, I am not discounting anywhere as a possiblity, even if it proves I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    We should call Myth busters or one of those types of shows.
    All they would do is do some research, which I think we can manage. There are some smart people on this site so I dont think we need to call in extra help just yet.
    Last edited by motuxmen; April 7, 2008 at 10:57am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Let's give motuxmen a chance to uncover what he has at hand.
    He's said from the beginning that he may be wrong, and he just wants to discover the history behind the free figure he got as a child.
    Even if this doesn't turn out to be Savage He-Man, maybe we'll uncover something else.
    It's worth a shot!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Let's give motuxmen a chance to uncover what he has at hand.
    He's said from the beginning that he may be wrong, and he just wants to discover the history behind the free figure he got as a child.
    Even if this doesn't turn out to be Savage He-Man, maybe we'll uncover something else.
    It's worth a shot!
    Thank you. Thats all I am trying to do, figure out what is going on. Thanks!

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I wouldn't be so sure about that MotuXmen... I think the mythbusters guys would be able to take a regular he-man and a Wonderbread one apart, and make all sorts of comparisons.

Like the way the mold has shaped the parts, the quality of the plastic, the composition of the plastic compared to other known knock-offs and the official figures. Probably even carbon-dating to determine how old it is, and so forth.

It could prove truly interesting, really.

But naturally I want you to keep your investigation going, I think you really do seem to be on to something. Now, if that video and photo could just come trough the mail... Have you phoned your brother daily, MoX ( I can call you mox, right?), to see if he has REALLY posted it? I know that sometimes, we can all drag out something a long, long while, if we don't feel that passionately about it.