Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Nilsor II
    Yes, that is Sunbeam. Doughy goodness.

N

BeatJunkie
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Nilsor II
    [B]I think the best arguement for the figure's existance is the figure itself. They can't all be stunningly identical repaints. Is a repaint going to leave the detail work on the shorts and covr their original color? The same finish as other MOTU figures? Also, the plastic of the torso is a strange tint not found in other figures.
    The figure is clearly real, the origins are convoluted.

Good Point. But I still think something is not right with the whole thing. I just can't believe that every kid in the world that ever recieved a WB He-Man from a mail in promotion back in the 80's, can't remember where it came from. With all the traffic to He-Man.org and recent resurgence of He-Man, someone MUST remeber or know the origin of this figure, if it is real. Yet no one is talking. It's funny, but compare it to area 51. The government denies it's existence (mattel denies any involvement with the figure, and states it was never produced). Only a select few work (worked) there, but everyone suposedy knew someone who did, (how may of you actually have an original WB He-man? or just got it off ebay from someone claiming to have recieved it when they were kids). So scientifically/technically, the figure doesn't exist. Which ads to the mystery, and makes it a very Hot commidity. Now this is where I believe many people are cashing in on it. I believe people can do anything with some paint and whatever else they can get ahold of. I knew a guy who could take the bubble of a carded figure, and seal it back on, and you would never know. I mean MINT condition. Scary. Sorry to ramble on, just had to say what I was thinking.

Nilsor II
    You certainly make your points well. I think Alucard's post about his mother's memories of the figure was fascinating. It totally jives with the images the Fowler's have. There is a little card thing that has a mail in offer for something Barbie, something troll doll like, and MOTU, represented by Man-E-Faces. If that ffer wasn't for this figure, what was it for? Where are the recollections of that offer?
    I can totally imagine Wonder Bread not being involved. I have heard theory that the confusion of Wonder Bread comes from the MOTU cards that came with loaves for a spell. I also saw a lot on eBay once where the seller described the figure as coming from a promotion of Sunshine Soap, a company I have never heard of. He claimed to even have called the figure "Sunshine" because of it. I certainly having to **** my head at a child naming a darker version of the He-Man figure a name more suited for a cohort of Sir Hugs-A-Lot, to reference the same era.
    I would certainly be careful when buying one from eBay. Personaly, I would balk at any thing worth $100s that the person hasn't put forth effort to make clear large pictures of. If I ever sell my Mail-Away He-Man, I will have supr close-up shots of even the soles of his boots.
    I certainly would not put my money on any specific origin for the figure, but don't doubt that the figure itself is real. I love toys, and my brothers are professiponals in the toy sculpting industry, so I take note of production values and issues. This isn't repaint on my figure. His torso is a different tint to the 5 other variations I have of the He-Man figure. I am trying to sort them out if any experts can help!
    If nothing else, it provides us with much material for discussion and conjecture and research; al joys to the collector's mind.

Nils

BeatJunkie
    --Originally posted by Nilsor II --
    If nothing else, it provides us with much material for discussion and conjecture and research; al joys to the collector's mind.

Exactly! It gives people like us, a topic of discussion. Well put. Thats why I like this website, The people on these boards are all very intelligent and polite.

Originally posted by alucard
    I know it had nothing to do with WB because like I said I had the figure and my parents never bought wonder bread.
    My parents also bought Sunbeam as a kid and so did my grandparents. If there would have been an offer like that they would have told me about it when I was little I have a good memory so I would have remember that. I'm not calling your mom a liar or anything alucard. That's just my opinion.

Nilsor II
    Alucard did not bring up Sunbeam, I did. And it wasn't in connection to Sunbeam offering the figure, just to the fact that I never ate Wonder Bread. I suggest you reread his post.

Nils

Originally posted by Nilsor II
    Alucard did not bring up Sunbeam, I did. And it wasn't in connection to Sunbeam offering the figure, just to the fact that I never ate Wonder Bread. I suggest you reread his post.

Nils

YEAH!!!!
    Your witness Mr. Birdbrain.

I'm sorry for the wrong reading. I was alcking sleep when I came on here and read those very sorry for the trouble. I do remember those cards too.

Heroic Warrior Lieutenant Fowler's Avatar
    maybe this will stir up some interesting debates; its the pic of our WB Baggies bought 2+ years ago. As Darren mentioned above, its also surrounded in mystery as the owner was not even sure where it came from. To my knowledge, this is the only figure to have shown up on ebay like this. I am not trying to say its legit, but it is different and there was a "free action figure" promotional card inside the bag. It came with the maroon sword and axe like the Man-E-Weapons did. Also realize these weapons look to have come out at about the same time Man-E-Weapons did in 83. Just something to ponder.

David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lieutenant Fowler; October 20, 2002 at 06:24am.
    Don't talk stupid!

Nilsor II
    Thanks, David! I had wanted to see your gem again for quite a while.

Nils

Well it appears that the Fowlers are not the only ones with a Bagged Wonder bread. I wonder if this is a fake?

Nilsor II
    Where is that picture from, Gilgamesh?

Badass with a bottle Drunken Fist's Avatar
    I second that.

Looks like I'll end up making a custom... for myself, that is. No way I can bloww $100+ on an action figure. I just can't afford it.

It from this thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ghlight=baggie

It belongs to Imspidey. I have delt with the seller who sold it to Imspidey and the seller ripped me off. I bought a WB He-man from that seller and it was a fake, it was just a painted blonde He-man. I got my money back in the end, but through the process I found the seller to be a very dishonest person. The seller of this item sells items that are very rare and questionable in nature, he sold me a fake wb he-man, he has also sold commerative 5-packs that had errors that were very questionable, he also sold a Camo Kobra kahn which one could tell it was an obvious re-paint of a regular kobra kahn, and most recently he has sold 2 prototype swords which look like the types of swords one can make following He-bro's weapons repro directions. Those are just a few of the items of the top of my head. Imspidey says he has had no problems with him, but I found him to be very dishonest, when he sold me the fake wb he-man he changed his story every other day. The seller claims to know nothing about MOTU and yet is always bidding and buying very high price rare MOTU items. I'm surprised he didn't put the bagged WB He-man on ebay, he would have made a fortune since it appears these are the only 2 in existance.

Son of a *****!!!!!

I did some further checking on this guy on ebay and check this out. The seller that sold me the fake WB He-man and Imspidey are the same person. He was just defending himself all along. Well I guess that settles it is a fake. Looks like all he did is copy the fowlers paper from the wb he-man to make his own.

User ID History for 1savagebarbarian
    User ID History Effective Date End Date
    imspidey Wednesday, May 09, 2001 Thursday, Dec 06, 2001
    imfaker(75) Thursday, Dec 06, 2001 Friday, Feb 15, 2002
    faker623 Friday, Feb 15, 2002 Friday, Jun 07, 2002
    1savagebarbarian Friday, Jun 07, 2002 Present

*** - Parts of prior User IDs that are email addresses are concealed
    to protect member privacy.

I feel bad for the poor sap who bought that sword. At least it was only about $6.50, and not a big expensive thing.

Heroic Warrior
    Well now people are aware of his shady auctions. Hopefully no one else will get burnt.

Hopefully not.

Just A lil Slice of America...

Wonderbread....

I'm gonna keep those names copied down so that I don't get ripped off by him. It's a shame that people gotta act like that. It gives us He-man collectors a bad name.

Heroic Warrior Lieutenant Fowler's Avatar
    Darren and I was very skeptical about putting up the scan of the free offer card. We opened the figure up for many reasons but I think we did it for everyone to let them see exactly what it was. So much for being the nice guys. I guess in the end it has turned out to be the wrong thing to do. Well, Darren's site is down now so not too many people have copies of this thing. If they do, they have not received our expressed written permission to have it. Now we did the site to help out the He-man community to let them see what He-man stuff is out there. We did not do it to brag about this and that. Heck, many of those pics we had to get permission to do. That is why we put our name on the pic above. Some people have no honor or integrity what so ever. These people are scum; period. Oh, the figure did not have the maroon weapons in it. What's up with that? He needs to pay closer attention to detail if he is going to rip people off like he is doing. People are putting out more and more fake WB's out there due to the popularity He-man is having right now. If you bought your WB figure before 98, you should be safe. Buyers, pay heed to what you are buying if people like this actually exist.

David
    Don't talk stupid!

That's the main reason I plan to make a custom WB He-Man for my collection. I can't afford to spend that much on a single figure, and there's too much risk of getting ripped with this one. It's really too bad.

Yeah it's a real shame that you can't trust people anymore. Back in the day you could go by some one's word and a hand shake now, you just can' t trust anyone.

Nilsor II
    David,

It is indeed a pity that someone used your picture of the insert for nefarious purposes. i just want to express my appreciation again for posting the shot of your bagged mail away figure. It clearly settles the question of accessories. As such, it is invaluable info for othe collectors. Like I said, to you and your brother, thanks.

Nils

Yes, thanks for clearing everything up. I still can't beleive there are people out there that would do sneaky and conviving things like that just to make a quick buck. With those kinds of people, no wonder America is the way it is.