Page 93 of 99 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 2460

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by AlternativeMindz View Post
    Great vid full of good info as well, Happy as it pretty much backs up my belief in my Savage He-Man figure he is very simular to the one your friend has worn hair and boots and no sign of blond hair or any other colour under the boots,
    The search continues for the truth over this figure

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevyates79 View Post
    Great vid full of good info as well, Happy as it pretty much backs up my belief in my Savage He-Man figure he is very similar to the one your friend has worn hair and boots and no sign of blond hair or any other colour under the boots,
    The search continues for the truth over this figure
    Thanks for watching and I think toys sometimes need these mysteries. I still believe it's first run and basically a color change at the last minute.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier View Post
    Cool video but I have to disagree with the convention giveaway idea. That's because when I grew up I knew 2 kids that had Savage He-Man (of course I cannot prove this, I only have my memory to go on ). The figure boggled me back then. I had every MOTU toy in the line except 9 items (not counting un-released or overseas items) and this figure. I just assumed it was a knock off He-Man toy and didn't care too much about owning it. The figure I saw the most belonged to my best friend at the time. His family was not well off and he had very few toys. That leads me to believe some kind of giveaway promo idea a little more. Sadly, the other kid I knew that had one died along with 2-3 of his siblings in a house fire.

Is there any kind of info that lists where most of the Savage He-Mans are surfacing? These 2 toys/kids were in Louisville, Kentucky.
    well I don't mean convention (never said that) but maybe as a ToyFair swag might be a stretch but I was throwing out possible ideas. thanks for watching I think with the .org we could maybe get a better idea of the places they have turned up
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Earlier this morning on Facebook, Marvelous0ne mentioned that Wonder Bread/Savage He-Man is on the promo for tonight's episode of Toy Hunter with Toyguru. I just now saw it myself. Please let the mystery be solved! I hope it's not just repeating what we already know.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Will we FINALLY find out the truth or will we get a lame I guess we will never know ending?

I guess we will find out tonight!

I actually wasn't aware of what the show is about tonight. I just assumed it was something MOTUC related. Heck, I'm just finding out there's a Toy Hunter show tonight with MOTU on it in general!

I would have to assume they confirm it's a mystery. Unfortunately, Mattel could find nothing back in 2001. And Scott, ToyFare and the Org worked together a few years back trying to figure out the mystery and turned up nothing then either which was a bummer.

But hey, the mystery is part of the legacy at this point. It's real, but unknown. People fake the heck out of this figure because of it. It's a cool figure yet frustrating at the same time.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I actually wasn't aware of what the show is about tonight. I just assumed it was something MOTUC related. Heck, I'm just finding out there's a Toy Hunter show tonight with MOTU on it in general!

I would have to assume they confirm it's a mystery. Unfortunately, Mattel could find nothing back in 2001. And Scott, ToyFare and the Org worked together a few years back trying to figure out the mystery and turned up nothing then either which was a bummer.

But hey, the mystery is part of the legacy at this point. It's real, but unknown. People fake the heck out of this figure because of it. It's a cool figure yet frustrating at the same time.
    That's the reason why I would never pay more than $10.00-$15.00 for him. On "Toy Hunter," Scott said the figure was the real deal because there was no blonde hair under the brown paint. Somebody could have removed the yellow paint, repainted it brown, and chipped some of it off to make it look like the "real deal." Anyway, it's amazing how NOBODY can remember where this figure came from!

Well we got nothing. Scott was presented as an expert, but they never mentioned that he works for Mattel. He ended up buying the figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
    That's the reason why I would never pay more than $10.00-$15.00 for him. On "Toy Hunter," Scott said the figure was the real deal because there was no blonde hair under the brown paint.
    He IS right, though. This figure is a real figure. It really is. It's just the fakes online that have become a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Torak View Post
    Well we got nothing. Scott was presented as an expert, but they never mentioned that he works for Mattel. He ended up buying the figure.
    At least they were straight about it. I like that they presented it as a mystery, honoring what has been discovered over the years (which isn't much).

So was the brothers who are members here who posted the Savage He-Man sealed in it's baggy debunked as not real?I know there names but I guess I better not post them.It's been a few years back when they posted there pics.If I remember right it had the Wonder bread cert.in it and the maroon weapons to.I know they have an awesome collection of MOTU rare figures.
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

The Fowler brothers are real people and I've always found them to be good guys. They even opened the figure as well to help. It was a bag closed with a piece of tape. Plus, that is how we found out the coupon appears to have nothing to with where the figure came from. IIRC, even they had their doubts about the packaging. They still ended up with a nice figure in their collection. But how it came packaged, if it came packaged at all, remains a mystery.

Well the countless fakes on-line made me believe it was all a fake...

The fact that there was a 100% legit Mattel prototype buzz-off figure with brown hair and that some show wear and tear that basically prove that it wasn't painted after the fact has convince me that it must have been a real figure after all. That being said, it just means that it was real Mattel figure or a real bootleg figure.

Heroic Warrior AlternativeMindz's Avatar
    WOW, Toy Hunter rips me off! LOL J/K I love the WB/Savage story so much. I always bring up a point that Penn Jillette talks about, there is two official cook books of Elvis both have two completely different recipes for Elvis's favorite Fried chicken dish. what this means even though so many people claim to know everything (sometimes something as simple as Fried Chicken can be elusive) if two cooks books from 1977 (36 years ago) can't get it right means that people may make mistakes elsewhere
    www.alternativemindz.com

Abstract the Perspective

Yes they r.I used to message them years ago here on the org.I'm envious of there awesome collection they've amassed!
    The Fowler brothers are real people and I've always found them to be good guys. They even opened the figure as well to help. It was a bag closed with a piece of tape. Plus, that is how we found out the coupon appears to have nothing to with where the figure came from. IIRC, even they had their doubts about the packaging. They still ended up with a nice figure in their collection. But how it came packaged, if it came packaged at all, remains a mystery.
    ICER
    Your friendly neighborhood org member!

I know this doesn't prove anything, but I was able to find one additional (sole) reference to the "Buy 3 Offer." Thought it might be of interest.

Kohl's advertised the offer.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I know this doesn't prove anything, but I was able to find one additional (sole) reference to the "Buy 3 Offer." Thought it might be of interest.

Kohl's advertised the offer.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4bd44145.jpg

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2414/wbheman.jpg
    Or is this just any old store ad (3 for 1 deal)? "Get one free from Mattel" may not mean get one from Mattel in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Or is this just any old store ad (3 for 1 deal)? "Get one free from Mattel" may not mean get one from Mattel in the mail.
    Actually, you are right on the first part, in that another store chain offered this deal. Here's another advertisement. This one does specifically mention the in-store coupon / that it's from Mattel, though. Both ads are from around same time-frame; they fall within the expiration date on the coupon and the one from Kohl's mentions Man-E-Faces, which leads me to believe they also had the coupon.

This is what the full Kohl's ad looks like, btw. (Also, giving a little plug for Newspaperarchive.com Fun site to search, although by no means does it have every newspaper published. ha)

Last edited by Tallstar; May 17, 2013 at 07:19pm.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Actually, you are right on the first part, in that another store chain offered this deal. Here's another advertisement. This one does specifically mention the in-store coupon / that it's from Mattel, though. Both ads are from around same time-frame; they fall within the expiration date on the coupon and the one from Kohl's mentions Man-E-Faces, which leads me to believe they also had the coupon.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...psd7d02db4.jpg

This is what the full Kohl's ad looks like, btw. (Also, giving a little plug for Newspaperarchive.com Fun site to search, although by no means does it have every newspaper published. ha)

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ps14ab036f.jpg
    Hmmm, ok that's more telling. I wonder who at Mattel was in charge (or worked with) the mail-aways. It probably wasn't head guys like Roger Sweet. Maybe we're looking at Mattel mailroom people, and obviously someone in charge of special promotions and marketing. Could they be the key to unlocking the mystery? I remember Kenner and Hasbro had some great mail-aways back in the day, I wonder how toy companies handle those. To me, it almost seems like it would be an area off on its own, perhaps like even short-term staff hired to help out.

TG or whoever is at Mattel, maybe they can trace down old records, and get some names.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Hmmm, ok that's more telling. I wonder who at Mattel was in charge (or worked with) the mail-aways. It probably wasn't head guys like Roger Sweet. Maybe we're looking at Mattel mailroom people, and obviously someone in charge of special promotions and marketing. Could they be the key to unlocking the mystery? I remember Kenner and Hasbro had some great mail-aways back in the day, I wonder how toy companies handle those. To me, it almost seems like it would be an area off on its own, perhaps like even short-term staff hired to help out.

TG or whoever is at Mattel, maybe they can trace down old records, and get some names.
    I know that "Don Jagoda Associates" handled many of Mattel's promotions. Awhile back I remember asking on their Facebook about the Jell-O promotion they were in involved in, but none of the old timers recalled it.

The interesting thing about Kohl's, is that they didn't have very many department stores in the 80s and they were all in the midwest. Zayre, according to Wikipedia, was only in the Eastern half of the United States. This seems to coincide with what I mentioned some time back; that the vast majority of Wonder Bread / Savage He-Man discoveries seemed to come from the the Eastern half of the the US.

markatisu made some interesting observations on Facebook.

That actually cold be, Kohls uses a different distribution system them most other retailers. Stores like TRU, Walmart, Target and Kmart just use their warehouses to move cases out to regional stores. Kohls uses their warehouse and distribution to pack specific assortments to go to stores. I see it all the time with Monster High at Kohls (they come in a big brown box hand packed by Kohls employees instead of standard cases from Mattel). Not to mention Kohls has a long history of exclusive Mattel product (most recently with Monster High)
    The interesting thing is this coupon seems to be for speciality retail , what today we would consider Big Lots, Dollar General, Kohls, Pamida, Alco, Shopko, Meijers. and they all get Mattel exclusive toys the big chains don't.

Widget
    I received the "Savage" He-man when he was originally available in the 80s. I am 100% sure that I received in the mail from the Buy 3 Get 1 Free Masters/Barbie/Dazzle/Monchichi Mattel Mail Away Promo Offer. I was 11 or 12 at the time and remember mailing away this offer and receiving the "Savage" He-man in the mail. He was not carded and I am also 100% sure that mine came with the maroon sword. I do not believe that mine came with any other accessories. I sold him in the mid to late 90s either in Toy Shop Magazine or in the early days of eBay.

So I dragged out my old Masters stuff today and found some old Mattel proofs of purchase I had cut off the backs of the Masters cards. I was saving for something and it would have been a Masters related item because I wasn't collecting anything else back then besides Transformers. Were there many mail away offers from Mattel back then?--that required proofs of purchase? (or did they all require them?)

update: The only reason I mention it is because I was a completist even at 10 years old and had all of the figures. I can't imagine what I would have been saving the proofs of purchase for...
    Last edited by yeahthatsme1973; May 18, 2013 at 08:51pm.

Strange thing is that nearly every GI Joe and Transformers fan can recall the mail away figures, but MOTU fans can't and this line was just as big. It doesn't make sense.
    This is why I don't think it was a mail-away. It was given away or sold some other way.

I still keep an eye out, but noting has surfaced yet. The Power and Honor foundation always uncovers new toy stuff as well in their discoveries of new art. If they ever find anything I'm sure they'll post it too. I think most of us have this figure in the back of our mind when on the general toy/info hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Torak View Post
    Strange thing is that nearly every GI Joe and Transformers fan can recall the mail away figures, but MOTU fans can't and this line was just as big. It doesn't make sense.
    This is why I don't think it was a mail-away. It was given away or sold some other way.
    Thing is, I would imagine that not everyone got the same figure from Mattel via the 3 for 1 deal, so if they had a very limited supply of Brown-haired He-Man figures that could be the reason nobody is really coming forward. It has been previously mentioned that for POP's "Mystery Doll" promotion, they would sometimes give away production error dolls. Could be the case with this offer too. Or maybe the figures weren't production errors, but rather used in market research / child testing. There's an old People magazine article that says Mattel had 17 different tests for He-Man, including one for hair color. They could have tested brown hair at some point.

The sleuth skills are strong in Tallstar.

I still keep an eye out, but noting has surfaced yet. The Power and Honor foundation always uncovers new toy stuff as well in their discoveries of new art. If they ever find anything I'm sure they'll post it too. I think most of us have this figure in the back of our mind when on the general toy/info hunt.
    So that would make sense as far as why no one can uncover any printed offers for him or photos since "Savage" brown He-Man was never announced anywhere and they never made a big deal or any deal for that matter about him and they wouldn't if he was a production error or a test run they were trying to get rid of.