Page 6 of 99 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Actually Gilgamesh, the WB He-man figure I won from ebay over a year and a half ago had marked on his back Mattel 1981 Mexico. The figure was in every way authentic if we follow Daivd's description of his figure and therefore not a custom or repaint. Where the figure is now : My brother, a Captain in the Army, was excited for his wedding day to come a week after Christmas 2001. Well, unfortunately, or fortunately as the case turned out, his fiancee bailed out for another guy behind his back, leaving him alone and sad for the holidays. So, I flew down to Texas and put a black faced Grizzlor and that WB He-man in his stocking. Sure enough the Power of Grayskull picked his spirits up and neither Skeletor nor the evil finacee could wipe the smile from his face that day. He-man wins again, even if he was sporting brown hair that time.

Heroic Warrior Lieutenant Fowler's Avatar
    I am a Lieutenant in the Army and just flew home from Germany for a wedding. I did not get him any special he-man treats yet since his marriage is making him happy enough. Come to think of it, my brohter has never given me a black face grizzlor or WB he-man for a gift. I think I will take them all now since his wife does not want them around her house. Jealous wives, go figure.

Merry Christmas all!

David
    Don't talk stupid!

bluekryptonite

If you can please post a picture. We have done polls on this web-site for years about this and everybody who has one says the same thing. The figure has MATTEL 1981 TAIWAN, stamped on the back, and I would like to see it for myself because this is something very rare.

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    so who is gonna type all of this up and make a wb FAQ?
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Chaos Mage
    I just have to say, this is BY FAR my favorite thread in the Classic Masters of the Universe Forum. It has so much good information in it, and I always enjoy reading and learning more.

Keep it coming!

Originally posted by Nilsor II
    Here is a shot of my WB He-Man, just for corroboration (and personal pride). Enjoy.

Nils
    That's the best condition Wonderbread He-Man I've seen yet!
    Why is it that they didn't put the armor on him? Wierd. Anyway, hold on to that little beauty.. That would be the prize of my collection!
    In Memory of Oscar
    May 2000 - September 23, 2005
    In Memory of Jetta
    2001- September 21, 2008

I found the CONAN vs. MATTEL lawsuit.

http://www.robert-e-howard.org/AnotherThought2.html

I can't recall why the black zodac armor keeps appearing on so many WB He-man's? The first one Darren and I got had the black armor but this was at a time when the whole "what the **** is this" he-man started. Maybe people were justifing getting rid of all of those left over weapon packs. Lee's did not publish the picture of WB He-man with the armor nor so what I gather is a fan oriented idea to attach this peice of armor to he-man. I don't think it looks bad and the armor kind of matches the WB He-man's hair.

Oh, I too have heard of some of the WB He-man's having MEXICO stamped on the back. The fans, I guess, could start up a poll of "Which WB He-man do you have: MEXICO or TAIWAN." Would the lesser one be more of a variant of sorts or just prove more of this guy exists than we all thought?

David
    Don't talk stupid!

If anyone can post a picture of a WB he-man made in MEXICO, please do, I really want to see this version. Thanks

Originally posted by Chaos Mage
    I just have to say, this is BY FAR my favorite thread in the Classic Masters of the Universe Forum. It has so much good information in it, and I always enjoy reading and learning more.

Keep it coming!

An I started it he he he
    Who would win in a fight between He-Man and Wonderbread He-Man?

Originally posted by Rioblast
    What about the second He-man prototype? Does anybody know anything about it?

Although the theory of WB He-man being Conan makes sense this particular prototype destroys that theory since the prototype's hair is blond (like the "final product") and not brown with black boots like WB He-man.
    I don't mean to burst anybody's bubble, but this looks like someone's arts and craft. Look, He-Man Arm band is painted orange, this idea of his armband being orange didn't show up until the comics. I think someone pulled a figure apart, made molds (Hence why the hands are not very defined and no thumbs sticking up) then poured plaster into the molds and made their own figure and painted it to match.

Maybe even someone at Mattel did it to help draw the comics. So they could visualize He-Man better.

Hollywood heroes advertised it quite some time ago. It was with a bunch of other stuff, if I'm not mistaken Peter bought his wax "Conan" sculpt around the same time. plus it was published in the toy article (second issue), its legit.

But that's beside the fact that this he-man's arms look similar in built and design to the Conan wax sculpt. even if it was a fraud, its pretty coincidental that he is similar when they both appeared at the same time
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; December 24, 2002 at 06:36am.

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Originally posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR
    Hollywood heroes advertised it quite some time ago. It was with a bunch of other stuff, if I'm not mistaken Peter bought his wax "Conan" sculpt around the same time. plus it was published in the toy article (second issue), its legit.

But that's beside the fact that this he-man's arms look similar in built and design to the Conan wax sculpt. even if it was a fraud, its pretty coincidental that he is similar when they both appeared at the same time
    That sounds good, so they used it after the Conan idea was scraped, but who knows maybe when they gave all the Conan stuff back to the guys who owned the rights to Conan it included a first run of brown hair He-man looking Conan figures?

(Some day they maybe asking the same questions about the cross version He-Man 2002)

Originally posted by He-bro
    That sounds good, so they used it after the Conan idea was scraped, but who knows maybe when they gave all the Conan stuff back to the guys who owned the rights to Conan it included a first run of brown hair He-man looking Conan figures?

(Some day they maybe asking the same questions about the cross version He-Man 2002)

Yeah but, we all know where the Iron Cross varient came from.

Badass with a bottle Drunken Fist's Avatar
    Originally posted by He-bro
    It's a fun thought. Then we old MOTU fans could share our wisdom.

Yeah it is a great thought to know that. I have a yunger cousin that I just got into the whole MOTU thing and he loves it. He's too young to appriciate the value of the figs yet but, it will be great to tell him our MOTU stories when he gets older

I am an old school type of guy. I have already spent a whole day looking for mine and Darren's Transformers and still can't find them. I have already started to get my nephews hooked on MOTU by getting them He-man's for Christmas. Who know's but maybe one day they will be getting WB He-man's for Christmas too.

As for Darren and I, we are Classic lovers thru and thru. I would still love to get some classic MOTU prototypes, but I have to pay off student loans first.

I hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas!

David
    Don't talk stupid!

Heroic Warrior
    Hey guys Merry X-mas to everyone from my end too.....David & Darren...I hope everything is going well for you guys, and remember, take care of yourselves over there! I'm thiking about you!

Peter

I got my little cousin a Battle Cat for Christmas and you should have seen how wide his eyes got when he opened it. It was Classic it reminded me of my first Christmas with He-Man it was awsome. Merry Christmas all. Don't drink too much Egg Nog he he he he

I e-mailed Josh Van Pelt, the owner of the "Cafe Wha?" website, to see if he knew anything about the He-man prototype that I posted earlier and he told me that had never seen it before. I had hoped he would be able to solve the mystery since he's he collects Motu prototypes and has very large collection. It seems that for now that this prototype will countinue to be as much a mystery as WB He-man.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

On the front page they are having another Q & A interview with the Mattel rep. Even though JVS3 already asked maybe we could ask again for Mattel to try and finally solve this mystery for us. It would be nice if they released a Commerative WB he-man, but instead of a comic it would come with a booklet that tells us what promotion he came from and answers all the questions we have about the figure.
    Last edited by Gilgamesh; December 28, 2002 at 12:31am.

Rioblast have you read anything i have said, or
    did you just feal like reposting that picture?

Sorry LORD FALLEN ELDOR I forgot to go back and read the latest posts after my last post.:o
    Thank you for clearing up the He-man prototype mystery for me.

I also found this post that you did in another thread which you gave more info on the prototype:
    This is the original sculpt of he-man as designed by Mark Taylor and Ted Mayer, the toy lines creators as we learned from the Tomart article last September. In the article it mentioned how it was the creative brain child of mark Taylor at the early age of 11.
    However now that we know its authentic this means (as I've mentioned before) that WB He-man can't be Conan because this particular pototype would have had to ALSO have brown hair and black boots if this prototype was suppose to have come before WB He-man.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Unless they went back and repainted the proto. why they would is beyond me, but its possible at least.

Travelor
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18989&item=3101801673

I hadn't seen a picture of WB He-man in a while so I thought that the one on the right was him (except his head was obviously hacked off) but Now I seen the pictures that his fur is brown, not red like I thought, so not to get off topic but who is that heman figure, and what head is suppose to be there?

Wish it really was a WB heman, though I'd never find his real head!